CFZ My commitment: Forget the sales pitch. I will believe it when it happens

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a not so bold prediction that will happen at the conclusion of the NFL draft next weekend: The Jones front office will sell this upcoming draft class as hard as any in recent history. They know their early exit from the playoffs last year coupled with the almost complete inactivity in free agency has left even the staunchest of Cowboys fans disgruntled and disheartened.

Yeah, the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January left a stink not easily washed out of the Star in one off-season. Not to mention 28 years of embarrassing playoff underachievement. I’m expecting a Jones sales pitch so intense PT Barnum will rise from the grave just to say, “Wow”.

Maybe we will get lucky and have a home run draft. Time will tell. I hope so. But the hard sales pitch is coming regardless. “Step right up folks.“

But most Cowboys fans know by now that the Jones boys’ off-season strategy every year centers more on marketing than it does actual strategic roster building. Honestly if Jerry drafted a one legged RB from Nowhere University he would sell that kid as the next coming of Emmitt Smith and for jersey sales purposes mandate #22 be worn to complete the marketing pitch.

With all the above in mind, here’s my off-season commitment:
  • I will believe results when they happen. Not before.
  • I will NOT buy the sales pitch that is coming. Period. If this team goes 16-1, I won’t “believe” anything until they win multiple playoff games.
  • If the Cowboys turn it around this year and win multiple playoff games for the first time in 3 decades, I will be thrilled. But I will believe it when it happens.
Trust me, a huge sales and marketing roll out is coming. We will be expected to trust in the same guys who gave us the last 28 years. They continue to expect this fan base to believe they know what they’re doing by doing it “their way”. The results speak otherwise.

Did I mention I will believe it when it happens?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Here’s a not so bold prediction that will happen at the conclusion of the NFL draft next weekend: The Jones front office will sell this upcoming draft class as hard as any in recent history. They know their early exit from the playoffs last year coupled with the almost complete inactivity in free agency has left even the staunchest of Cowboys fans disgruntled and disheartened.

Yeah, the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January left a stink not easily washed out of the Star in one off-season. Not to mention 28 years of embarrassing playoff underachievement. I’m expecting a Jones sales pitch so intense PT Barnum will rise from the grave just to say, “Wow”.

Maybe we will get lucky and have a home run draft. Time will tell. I hope so. But the hard sales pitch is coming regardless. “Step right up folks.“

But most Cowboys fans know by now that the Jones boys’ off-season strategy every year centers more on marketing than it does actual strategic roster building. Honestly if Jerry drafted a one legged RB from Nowhere University he would sell that kid as the next coming of Emmitt Smith and for jersey sales purposes mandate #22 be worn to complete the marketing pitch.

• I will NOT buy the sales pitch that is coming. Period. If this team goes 16-1, I won’t “believe” anything until they win multiple playoff games.
  • If the Cowboys turn it around this year and win multiple playoff games for the first time in 3 decades, I will be thrilled. But I will believe it when it happens.
Trust me, a huge sales and marketing roll out is coming. We will be expected to trust in the same guys who gave us the last 28 years. They continue to expect this fan base to believe they know what they’re doing by doing it “their way”. The results speak otherwise.

2024 is going to be a lost season. 29 years and counting!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Excellent post as usual my friend.

Be prepared for the pom pom waivers to descend on you, its obvious you are just a quitter and not a real fan;)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Another “Poor Me” thread. Come on man, you’re better than this.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I'm sorry but anyone who continues to attend Dallas games, purchase Dallas merchandise, or pay for Dallas online content is irredeemably ignorant. They deserve every poisionous ounce of snake oil a 81 year old low football I.Q. geriatric GM is selling them.

cristglo

Reaction score

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm feeling good, time will tell, but I think something amazing is a foot.
This coming from a guy who's been bagging on the Jones boys since the last millennium.

Big_D

Reaction score
There’s no sales pitch, just ownership that talks in circles. Everything they say is pure fluff. I guess some rather bury their head in the sand and have blind faith. With Jerry and Stephen that’s long gone. This is a terrible situation with them in charge and I just don’t see that getting better.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent post as usual my friend.

Be prepared for the pom pom waivers to descend on you, its obvious you are just a quitter and not a real fan;)
Told you it was coming Bob:laugh:
Just like any thread or post that is positive news, the haters tear it down and start their whining. Even if the whining has nothing to do with the thread.
It works both ways.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep to all of this. I have had this train of thought however for over 20 years. Jerry is worthless in the salary cap era, plain and simple and I don’t get persuaded by lame salespeople, which is what he is. . . . 02…

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sorry but anyone who continues to attend Dallas games, purchase Dallas merchandise, or pay for Dallas online content is irredeemably ignorant. They deserve every poisionous ounce of snake oil a 81 year old low football I.Q. geriatric GM is selling them.
So if you advocate not going to games, not buying merchandise (in which I don't do either anymore, by choice, not by any disappointment).
Then why do you watch the games as well, or come in to post your dislike of them?
Why pay any attention at all?

starfan1

Reaction score
So if you advocate not going to games, not buying merchandise (in which I don't do either anymore, by choice, not by any disappointment).
Then why do you watch the games as well, or come into to post your dislike of them?
Why pay any attention at all?
Probably to come in and complain with like minded poor me fans

To say this place has become toxic is an understatement

Big_D

Reaction score

“Poor me”? The ownership is garbage, you can’t really put a positive spin on that decade after decade. Some have been fans since the start and see this clown show for what it is. Jerry and Stephen are truly toxic.

nobody

Reaction score

The irony of your statement is astounding. Rather than take the high road and not say anything, you'd rather get in a little dig at disillusioned fans then whine about how toxic this place has become.

starfan1

Reaction score
“Poor me”? The ownership is garbage, you can’t really put a positive spin on that decade after decade. Some have been fans since the start and see this clown show for what it is. Jerry and Stephen are truly toxic.
No disagreement do you think they come in here and read the consistent poor me garbage

We’ve had 3 consecutive 12 win seasons and most certainly will be knocking on that door again what is accomplished by all this whining ? Not a damn thing!

Too many fans on here are looking at the glory days of this franchise and getting aggravated it hasn’t continued

If it isn’t obvious to you that they haven’t quite put together that complete team yet in salary cap era then you’re not paying attention .

We are no more deserving than the other 31 teams in the league and each year we find different ways to lose

I enjoy the ride and hopefully one year that ride will all come together but until then all this whining does nothing

In 50 years of fandom I’ve maybe bought 6 jerseys and attended 8 games but I watch every week

Jerry has season ticket holders that help fund his debotchery and until they quit doing that and until they aren’t game the week for a quarter of the season nothing changes

Your 3 choices are pray he sells or abandon ship or just enjoy the ride and hope it all gets put together and they aren’t far off

There are things I wish were different but I have 0 control and making this place as toxic as it is serves no purpose