My Cowboy plan.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Here is how I fix this team:

Start by firing Wade Phillips as soon as the season ends. I like Wade. He is a good coach. But this team needs a coach that is a disciplinarian. This bunch of guys need a HC that they simply don't like. A guy like Tom Coughlin, who all the players hated two years ago and a couple of the bad apples tried to get fired. Well, the Giants got rid of the bad apples, and look what happened when the rest fell in line. That is what this team needs. I feel sorry for Wade, but he must take the fall as soon as the season ends, barring a miracle Championship. All the Special Teams Coaches and Stewart go with him. Next, you weed out those bad apples:

On the same day you fire Wade Phillips, you release or announce that you will not resign the following players: Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, and Terrell Owens. You send a message. You get rid of the players that will give your next HC the most resistance and you do it in a fashion that will send a message to the rest of the team. We can afford to get rid of these three. Only Owens will have an impact, but Austin or Crayton will have to step up opposite Williams and I think Austin can. Along with the return of Felix, Hurd the development of Bennett, the familiarity of Roy Williams, and Witten, we have plenty of weapons without his attitude.

Then, you hire your Head Coach. Don't give me some BS about a GM. Look at last year's draft. We can find talent. We have talent. We need a real HC. A guy that will hurt some feelings, on a regular basis. A guy that will punish Adams for every false start penalty. A guy that will rip Rolmo when he throws a stupid pass. A guy that will not be like, but will be respected. A couple of names to start with; of course Bill Cowher, Russ Grimm, Marty Schottenheimer, and Mike Singletary just for starters. The more unpopular they are with the players, the more repect they will eventually get. It will turn from a bunch of talented underachieving superstars to a team of great players under the right guidance.

Next, you fix a few postions, but not much. It's not necessary. Also gone, due to play: Anthony Henry, Bobby Carpenter, Cory Proctor and any backup offensive lineman who could not start in front of Proctor. I know there are salary cap implications, but remember, 2010 is a capless year so now is the time to do it. Also, I try to keep Roy Williams 31 if he can recover. Not as a starter, but I still think they guy can contribute on ST's, defensive packages, and in the locker room. I just like the guy on my team.

Lastly, fill your holes. Here they are;

Run-stuffing Nose Tackle- Move Ratliff to DE where he can make more of an impact and sign the best run stuffing NT out there. Then, draft another run-stuffing NT in the middle rounds to back him up in case of injury.

Real Free Safety- Hamlin is not it. Killer is not it. Watkins should have been on my cut list. Use your first pick in the draft to draft the best FS out there. plain and simple.

Backup O-lineman who can actually play- We have one in Holland. The rest of the draft should be used on the O-line. We have plenty of depth at most other positions, even with my six major cuts/trade (Carp) (Tank, Pac, TO, Carp, Henry, Proctor). The O-line must be addressed with the same accuracy that we achieved in last year's draft.

Back-up QB- I am no where off the Romo bandwagon. I think he is more injured than we know. But we cannot have a repeat of this mess. You do that by signing a decent back-up QB. If Bollinger is not the answer, look at a guy like Kitna or a Chris Simms. But get it taken care of. Johnson will not be back.

Well, that's a start. Bottom line is, the whole attitude of this team needs to change. We have the talent, the pieces are there. But does anyone truly think we can win it all with this team in it's current state? A new HC and get rid of some of our bad apples and you would see an entirely different team take the field next season. If we bring back the same mess, the results will be just as messy.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm alone in this thought, but more times than not, firing a head coach sets a franchise back a couple of years. Not saying it can't or won't happen, but just my 2 cents.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2517876 said:
Perhaps I'm alone in this thought, but more times than not, firing a head coach sets a franchise back a couple of years. Not saying it can't or won't happen, but just my 2 cents.

Maybe, but sometimes it can be the catalyst to a team actually reaching it's potential. Look at Miami. They are not even in our league talent wise.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Great post.

I just don't know if Jerry will ever understand what makes up the chemistry of a winning team. It's not about superstars at every position. It's about talented players with heart and guys who are willing to sacrifice personal accomplishment for the greater good of the team.

I also agree that throughout history the vast majority of championship teams were led by head coaches who were tough and were feared and respected by the players.

I also want a HC who will get in Romo's face when he makes another one of those STUPID throws down the field with no idea where he is throwing it. That makes me furious and I want to see a coach rip his butt for making such stupid decisions over and over and over again!

Then go out and draft Rashad Johnson from Alabama for the FS position. Nick Saban said he's the most intelligent football player he's ever had and knows as much about Saban's 3-4 defense as any of the coaches. We need a leader like that in the secondary.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2517905 said:
Alright, what don't you agree with...

It got silly right here:

"On the same day you fire Wade Phillips, you release or announce that you will not resign the following players: Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, and Terrell Owens."

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
This just shows you proably have no idea about what really went on with the Giants:

"Start by firing Wade Phillips as soon as the season ends. I like Wade. He is a good coach. But this team needs a coach that is a disciplinarian. This bunch of guys need a HC that they simply don't like. A guy like Tom Coughlin, who all the players hated two years ago and a couple of the bad apples tried to get fired. Well, the Giants got rid of the bad apples, and look what happened when the rest fell in line. That is what this team needs."

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
"Then, you hire your Head Coach. Don't give me some BS about a GM. Look at last year's draft. We can find talent. We have talent. We need a real HC. A guy that will hurt some feelings, on a regular basis. A guy that will punish Adams for every false start penalty. A guy that will rip Rolmo when he throws a stupid pass. A guy that will not be like, but will be respected. A couple of names to start with; of course Bill Cowher, Russ Grimm, Marty Schottenheimer, and Mike Singletary just for starters. The more unpopular they are with the players, the more repect they will eventually get. It will turn from a bunch of talented underachieving superstars to a team of great players under the right guidance."

That all so worked with Parcells.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
5Countem5;2517920 said:
This just shows you proably have no idea about what really went on with the Giants:

"Start by firing Wade Phillips as soon as the season ends. I like Wade. He is a good coach. But this team needs a coach that is a disciplinarian. This bunch of guys need a HC that they simply don't like. A guy like Tom Coughlin, who all the players hated two years ago and a couple of the bad apples tried to get fired. Well, the Giants got rid of the bad apples, and look what happened when the rest fell in line. That is what this team needs."

Players like Tiki Barber resisteing Coughlin's coaching methods.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2517930 said:
Players like Tiki Barber resisteing Coughlin's coaching methods.

Coughlin gave in more on his "discipline" that the players responded to it. He had a total coup on his hands until he backed off.

He changed from being psycho-discipline coach- and it worked

Wrangler87

Reaction score
5Countem5;2517917 said:
It got silly right here:

"On the same day you fire Wade Phillips, you release or announce that you will not resign the following players: Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, and Terrell Owens."

You let the next HC candidates know early that they will not have to deal with these three underachieving disruptions. Think Cowher wants to deal with the Pacman mess or TO's whinning?

Wrangler87

Reaction score
5Countem5;2517923 said:
"Then, you hire your Head Coach. Don't give me some BS about a GM. Look at last year's draft. We can find talent. We have talent. We need a real HC. A guy that will hurt some feelings, on a regular basis. A guy that will punish Adams for every false start penalty. A guy that will rip Rolmo when he throws a stupid pass. A guy that will not be like, but will be respected. A couple of names to start with; of course Bill Cowher, Russ Grimm, Marty Schottenheimer, and Mike Singletary just for starters. The more unpopular they are with the players, the more repect they will eventually get. It will turn from a bunch of talented underachieving superstars to a team of great players under the right guidance."

That all so worked with Parcells.

You're right, it was...

Wrangler87

Reaction score
5Countem5;2517934 said:
Coughlin gave in more on his "discipline" that the players responded to it. He had a total coup on his hands until he backed off.

He changed from being psycho-discipline coach- and it worked

Funny how it didn't work until the players that gave him the most resistance were gone, huh?

grp05

Reaction score
The only things I strongly disagree with are getting rid of Owens and maybe Tank Johnson. Any way you slice it, there are only two receivers in the NFL with more TDs than Owens, and they only have 1 more than him.

I honestly have no idea how Tank has played this season. That's probably a bad sign, but don't cut him because of what happened years ago. I've heard he's popular with the players, and he's been on his best behavior since we signed him. Some guys make the best of their second chances.

I'd like to hire a tougher head coach if Wade doesn't work out, but I think he should be given one more year, especially if we win a playoff game. We've had an insane number of injuries this year. If anything, I say get a new offensive coordinator.

BigDave95

Reaction score
What exactly has Tank Johnson done since he's been here that makes you lump him in with those other two?

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2517937 said:
You let the next HC candidates know early that they will not have to deal with these three underachieving disruptions. Think Cowher wants to deal with the Pacman mess or TO's whinning?

LOL

Who in their right mind wants Cowher?

Retread coaches NEVER work- except Vermeil or Shula. Just look at Jimmy or Lombardi or Parcells or Holmgren or George Allen, or Mike Ditka or Gibbs or any others.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
grp05;2517948 said:
The only things I strongly disagree with are getting rid of Owens and maybe Tank Johnson. Any way you slice it, there are only two receivers in the NFL with more TDs than Owens, and they only have 1 more than him.

I honestly have no idea how Tank has played this season. That's probably a bad sign, but don't cut him because of what happened years ago. I've heard he's popular with the players, and he's been on his best behavior since we signed him. Some guys make the best of their second chances.

I'd like to hire a tougher head coach if Wade doesn't work out, but I think he should be given one more year, especially if we win a playoff game. We've had an insane number of injuries this year. If anything, I say get a new offensive coordinator.

Owens has created a circus, and probably a sense of uneasyness on offense. We have plenty of talent to go around without him. I think we would be better off.

Tank simply has not done enough.