CFZ My Dad is why I'm a Cowboys Fan

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Fathers out there.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Yep, they ruined us. My Grandfather, my father, myself, my son, and my grandson are all Cowboy fans.

Happy Fathers Day!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
My dad is already gone (died with 66) and I miss him a lot. I'm so sad sometimes my two sons will never meet their grand dad.

But I also have a lot of great memories with him from my childhood and during my college years we travelled the world during summer break. I'm a dad now myself and trying to teach my kids a lot of stuff he taught me.

As a Euro kid there was no American football back then, only soccer soccer soccer. But still, playing with your dad in the back yard is a memory all sons cherish forever. No matter what sport it was. :)

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Tom Landry and Roger Staubach are why I am a fan.

I don't see why any young fan would want to follow this team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My dad is already gone (died with 66) and I miss him a lot. I'm so sad sometimes my two sons will never meet their grand dad.

But I also have a lot of great memories with him from my childhood and during my college years we travelled the world during summer break. I'm a dad now myself and trying to teach my kids a lot of stuff he taught me.

As a Euro kid there was no American football back then, only soccer soccer soccer. But still, playing with your dad in the back yard is a memory all sons cherish forever. No matter what sport it was. :)
It has been 25 years last April 30th when my father passed unexpectedly at 65. He was a diehard Saints fan, who never saw his favorite team win a championship during his entire life. He was devoted nonetheless.

He did not inspired me into becoming a Cowboys fan but his devotion taught me what it really means. I miss him practically every day, especially on this day. He was a good man, through and through.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Why do old fans still follow?
This is a thought that has crossed my mind more than a few times.

You have to admit it's a different game now. Back in the 60's, 70's, and maybe even into the 80's the players played for the love of the game. The salaries weren't outrageous and nearly every player in the league had to work at a job in the off season to make ends meet. That just isn't the case now, the players love their salaries far more than they love the game. As much as I complain about it I guess I can't blame them. It's just the nature of the business now and the priorities changed with the time. There's no going back, no matter how much us old heads wish it would.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score

Great Story, thanks.
I followed my Dad's team as well.
He started rooting for them as an expansion team. Was a big fan of Landry.
I was six in 1972. My earliest Cowboy memories.
Staubach and Morton were alternating series early in the season, competing for the starting job.
Staubach won the job and took them to the Super Bowl. . He and Lily were my first sports heroes.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Thank you for this amazing post. I am the benefactor of having such a great dad and older brother. Happy Father’s Day Hazey!

Reaction score

Very nice share, thank you. I grew up a Cowboy fan with Dad and I cheering them on across the decades of my life. We lost dad a year and a half ago but of course he lives on on our hearts and he's still cheering them on with me on Sundays too. RIP Dad.