CFZ My Dad is why I'm a Cowboys Fan

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Dad thought sports were a waste of time and money. He didn't even go to my HS FB games until during my JR year, he went to town on a Saturday morning to pick up some feed at the feed store. He walked into the store and the good old boys at the card table there congratulated him on my game th night nefore. He told me later he decided then that he better make the time...... He never missed another game..... That was 42 years ago. Dad has been gone for 21 years now. Man, I miss him.
My Dad came from Mexico...he never saw me play in my seven years. Never saw me coach in my first 17 years. We went undefeated my second year as head coach. We sold out a 13,000 seat stadium...my wife forced him to go....he's was hooked after that. Didn't miss a game until my mom got sick, so he started watching on line. He's 89 and my best friend

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Fathers out there.
Wonderful story.. Blessings to you and your Dad.. I'm in awe of the fact that your first Cowboys game in person was against the GOAT Jim Brown. That's hard to top my friend..:bow:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Different path for me. My father only cared about boxing. Died a month into my freshman year of high school.

Only one tv channel to watch, which happened to be the Cowboys, so I started watching in 1968 and got hooked.

Still so to this day....

Flamma

Reaction score
Ya don't read that every day.
My entire family got me into sports at a very young age. I got mad at my father just before super bowl 10. I was 8 years old, about to turn 9. I stuck with the Cowboys as a result. I would never have been a Cowboys fan. He made a bad choice. But once you root for a team, at some point it becomes too late. You start to love that team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
My dad started following the Cowboys in 1963. For years I saw him glued to the set on Sundays watching the Cowboys. I heard a lot of cheering and cursing over the years. I remember how devastated he was when the Cowboys lost to the Packers in the ice bowl and the Colts in Super Bowl V. I still remember him pacing the living room prior to kick off of Super Bowl Vl. He was taking a nervous piss every several minutes. I decided to watch the game. That was my very first Cowboys game and from that day on I’ve been a Cowboys fan. :flagwave:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Fathers out there.
Great post. I never got to see a game live with my Dad, but he watched religiously, and me and my brother were right there with him. His love of the Cowboys passed along to us, but more importantly, his love of family was passed along as well. When he died the preacher asked me before the funeral what his goals were in life, and I honestly answered that he only wanted to be a good husband and father. He was a great example for me to follow, as obviously your Dad was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Landry and Roger Staubach are why I am a fan.

I don't see why any young fan would want to follow this team.
Because their father does ...

That's why my son does it. He was too young to have a good memory of the 1990's Super Bowl wins. His memories are mostly from late 1990's and on. But the Cowboys are what he grew up with, and,the Cowboys are one of many things we have bonded over.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Because their father does ...

That's why my son does it. He was too young to have a good memory of the 1990's Super Bowl wins. His memories are mostly from late 1990's and on. But the Cowboys are what he grew up with, and,the Cowboys are one of many things we have bonded over.
That's outstanding!
I was more referring to why any young fan would choose the Cowboys out of all the NFL teams with no external pressure.
Back in the day , there were many good reasons to pick them;
Classy team.
Well coached
Well run front office
Role model type HC and QB.
Perennial winners.
It why I choose them as a kid with no outside guidance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's outstanding!
I was more referring to why any young fan would choose the Cowboys out of all the NFL teams with no external pressure.
Back in the day , there were many good reasons to pick them;
Classy team.
Well coached
Well run front office
Role model type HC and QB.
Perennial winners.
It why I choose them as a kid with no outside guidance.
It’s interesting. I have three sons who were raised watching Cowboys games with their dad. They watched those 3 SBs of the 90s even though they were 12, 10 and 8 the last time the Cowboys were in one.

Now those three boys are men and sadly they consider the Cowboys a complete joke. They love the Mavs, rangers and stars. Not the Cowboys. My youngest son, who is now 36 says he barely remembers the “good Cowboys”. And my son’s friends are mostly the same way.

It’s really sad that this owner has lost so many young fans in this area. Yes the Cowboys are still enormously popular. But they could have been even more popular if this thing was not run by an 81 year old self centered owner who doesn’t seem to care that the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone else to run their front office.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s interesting. I have three sons who were raised watching Cowboys games with their dad. They watched those 3 SBs of the 90s even though they were 12, 10 and 8 the last time the Cowboys were in one.

Now those three boys are men and sadly they consider the Cowboys a complete joke. They love the Mavs, rangers and stars. Not the Cowboys. My youngest son, who is now 36 says he barely remembers the “good Cowboys”. And my son’s friends are mostly the same way.

It’s really sad that this owner has lost so many young fans in this area. Yes the Cowboys are still enormously popular. But they could have been even more popular if this thing was not run by an 81 year old self centered owner who doesn’t seem to care that the winning owners of the last 28 SBs all hired someone else to run their front office.
Once us old timers die off, the boys will lose a lot of fans.

Of course that will be Stephens problem and not Jerry's.

cowboyec

Reaction score
my dad was/is the biggest cowboys fan i've ever known.
he started rooting for them in 1960.
before i knew i had an aunt karen or uncle frank,i knew about don meredith,don perkins,bob lilly,chuck howley,mel renfro and bob hayes.
never went to a game but we watched'm together.
last season was my first w/out my dad.
he died on feb 20,2023.
hardest season...by far.
more than that...hardest thing i've ever gone thru.
we were blessed with our relationship.
we were not just father/son...but each others best friend.
but i'll be re-united with him up yonder.
and when we are...it'll be forever.
and i can hear him say it...
GO☆COWBOYS!!!!!