CFZ My Dad is why I'm a Cowboys Fan

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Why do old fans still follow?
I have been a fan for 40 years which is why I scoff at those on here who question my loyalty. It is usually the one's who haven't been as faithful who call out "haters." So now that you have called me old, lol, it us the old guys who are not bandwagon jumpers and are loyal to those things in life we have dedicated ourselves to. 1 wife, few jobs and few sports teams we love and hate at the same time. It is also us who are allowed to be critical of those same teams we have vested too much of our lives for haha

rambo2

Reaction score
Ranch, I can't speak for other older fans, but I am a loyal person.
I can't stand bandwagon fans.
I guess I am hoping for better days ahead.
I am younger than Jerry, so I most likely will get to see if things change for the better once he steps down.
Winning divisions is pretty damn good.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been a fan for 40 years which is why I scoff at those on here who question my loyalty. It is usually the one's who haven't been as faithful who call out "haters." So now that you have called me old, lol, it us the old guys who are not bandwagon jumpers and are loyal to those things in life we have dedicated ourselves to. 1 wife, few jobs and few sports teams we love and hate at the same time. It is also us who are allowed to be critical of those same teams we have vested too much of our lives for haha
I've been a fan for over 52 years...I am critical, but I let it go and move on to the next game. I've have 9 Cowboys at my ranch for BBQ after they held clinics for me.
Believe me, I want to win as much as anyone else.. I just don't beat a dead horse. Salud

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I’ve been a Cowboys fan quite a bit longer than that. There are a lot of bandwagon fans here and yes, many haters as well.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I've been a fan for over 52 years...I am critical, but I let it go and move on to the next game. I've have 9 Cowboys at my ranch for BBQ after they held clinics for me.
Believe me, I want to win as much as anyone else.. I just don't beat a dead horse. Salud
well the Ranching thing makes sense now, perhaps we have Kevin Costner on our boards? LOL. Considering by my nic you can safely assume my MLB team is the Reds, so the last 30 years of my life hasn't been great for buying t-shirts and jerseys. This coming from a guy who has lived in the Toronto area since birth and although I am not a fan of our NHL team, the drought is 55 years. We spent a week in the LA area and for the life of me I couldn't find anything Reds, just Dodger Blue and Cali teams which is to be expected but sheesh. I want to buy anything it's Fanaatic or Lids. To go to a game in Big D would cost an arm or a leg, and a game in Buffalo or Detroit would cost my life

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
My very earliest memory is watching a Cowboys game in 1971, when I was four. Before the Cowboys were a franchise, he was a GB fan, listening to nearly every game available on the radio From about 1945 until 1960.

If it weren’t for his love of football my life would be so very different.

Happy Father’s Day Cowboyys fans!!

Reaction score
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Happy Father’s Day to all the Fathers out there.
I used to bet with my boss on Cowboy games in the early 60s. I grew to love the Cowboys after losing so much money. I went to the Cotton bowl to see Dandy and Bob Hayes. I saw a game where it got foggy before the game was over. I saw Dandy throw a long pass into the fog and bullet Bob came out of the fog with the ball. Cowboys won. My daughter was born in 70. She watched the Cowboys from about 1 year old until Jerry got rid of Jimmy. Both my kids have nothing to do with the Cowboys or me. Guess it is because I drive a Corvette instead of something slow. I didn't know it was fathers day until all of you talked about it.

plymkr

Reaction score
Sixty years ago this October, when I was only six years old, my Dad took me to my first Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. It was October 18, 1964 and the Cowboys were playing one of their first rivals at that time - the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won the game 20-16 led by one of the greatest players in NFL history, the great Jim Brown. JB rushed for 188 yards that day.

My memories of that game are much like what most six year olds would remember. I vividly remember walking up the ramp to our seats on about the 15 yard line on the west side of the field. The real grass was so green and the silver pants of the Cowboys looked shiny and very cool. My Dad bought me a “program“ which were so popular in those days. I kept that thing for many years although by the time I was in college I lost track of it.

Dad had played guard on a high school football state championship team back in 1951, and played one year of college football before focusing on just getting his degree, getting married and starting a family. He taught me how to play multiple sports and was so fun to be around, the kids in the neighborhood would often ring the doorbell to see if my Dad would come outside and throw the football with them. He let 4 or 5 kids hang on his back to try and tackle him. He would lumber a few yards and then fall laughing all the way.

My Dad, younger brother and I watched countless Cowboys games on TV over the years and those wonderful, fun memories will last forever. We all 3 also went to a few Cowboys games together at Texas Stadium. Being a Cowboys fan started with my father.

I realized many years ago that I am very, very blessed to have had a father who was my hero. He’s the man I still want to be. This August he turns 90. He has Alzheimer’s now, and much of his memory is gone. But I still see him often, and he still remembers that special day in October a long time ago when he took this little kid to his first Cowboys game.

Dude, that’s awesome. Thank you for sharing that with us. Memories like that are cherished. My dad is a bears fan but I still love him. I became a Cowboys fan at birth because my older brothers started collecting football cards and one of the first cards they got was Randy White. They liked the Star and the uniforms and everyone, except Dad, became Cowboys fans. So I was born into it.

John813

Reaction score
Great story @Bobhaze .

I have one boy who is 6 now. Definitely am trying to build memories, and hope that he too can look back 60 years later and find that sport, hobby etc that he can remember that had such an impact on him.

It's funny, I remember some vivid memories like that, even at 5-6. Those core memories with your dad/mom/parents.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I liked their colors when I was 5, and now here we are. My dad is a Giants fan so the rivalry between us made it fun and is part of it too.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My Dad was an immigrant from Sicily. He wasn't into any sports. I used to live next door to my Grandmother, and she would watch football games. She was originally born in Florida before moving to Texas. I remember one Sunday she was watching a game between the Dolphins and Cowboys. I think I was 9 or 10 at the time, and she was rooting for Miami. I told her "no Nanna", "you can't root for them, you don't live in Florida anymore. You have to root for the Cowboys!!". LOL I remember watching Roger Staubach do his thing, and seeing Tom Landry in his fedora on the sideline. The Cowboys won that game, and I was a fan ever since!! :grin:

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing!

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
My Dad thought sports were a waste of time and money. He didn't even go to my HS FB games until during my JR year, he went to town on a Saturday morning to pick up some feed at the feed store. He walked into the store and the good old boys at the card table there congratulated him on my game th night nefore. He told me later he decided then that he better make the time...... He never missed another game..... That was 42 years ago. Dad has been gone for 21 years now. Man, I miss him.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this with us, Bob. Happy belated Father's day to all the dads out there.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Your story is very similar to mine - my Cowboy "fandom" was inspired, nurtured and role-modelled by my father.

While we never made to a game, we still managed to make Sunday afternoon a game day experience.

As a deacon in our church, he was notorious for squirming in his seat or even clearing his throat loudly if the sermon ran a bit long if there was any possibility the kickoff would be missed. Still makes me smile after all these years.

shabazz

Reaction score
I became a Cowboys fan to spite my father. So yeah, I can also say my father was the reason I became a Cowboys fan.
My father despised all sports which made it challenging to take part in them or follow them. Becoming a Cowboys fan happened organically.

Wound up playing football and hockey anyway.

Luckily I was able to start a legacy of playing and loving sports which I gave to my sons who both excelled at and enjoyed.

Flamma

Reaction score
My father despised all sports which made it challenging to take part in them or follow them. Becoming a Cowboys fan happened organically.

Wound up playing football and hockey anyway.

Luckily I was able to start a legacy of playing and loving sports which I gave to my sons who both excelled at and enjoyed.
That must have been tough to do. Years ago was totally different from today. If the family didn't like sports, the kids grew up socially awkward. Not all the time. But sports was what brought kids together.

I had my father, grandfather, uncle, and Godfather, all taking me to games and helping me from a young age.