Video: My daughter singing (not) opera

JDSmith

Reaction score
Figured I'd post this in its own thread, since I'm not sure how many people will go to the end of the original thread about her talent show when we failed spectacularly to choose a song for her. I see threads on 'The Voice' and 'American Idol' so maybe people will be interested to hear my daughter sing. Even the people on those shows tend to start out in talent shows and karaoke bars. So here is my daughter Xana singing the operatic English folk song that she chose for the talent show.

First, IMO she did great. She's been in voice lessons for almost a year now (we signed her up after last year's talent show) and I think the improvement has been pretty dramatic. Her range is a lot better and she's really projecting now. In the past we always felt she was holding back when she sang, it appears now that we were right.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Looks like we'll be changing voice coaches soon. While my wife and I both love the way my daughter has progressed under this guy, there is too much struggle regarding what type of music my daughter will sing. Matt, the coach, really wants her to sing Broadway stuff and work on belting and other things that really don't appeal to my daughter at all. She doesn't sing because she wants to be popular or because she wants to get on Broadway, she sings because she likes to sing. But she's a bit of a diva about what and when she sings.

So Matt keeps pushing her to sing some songs that she has no interest in, and it's now causing an issue. The only time my wife and I get to hear my daughter sing is at talent shows or voice recitals, she doesn't sing or practice around the house and she won't sing in front of anyone unless it's a crowd and she's on stage. So she was supposed to have a voice recital today, which normally would be very exciting for us because we'll finally get to hear her sing something. But Matt never mentioned the recital to Xana until her voice lesson a week ago Thursday. He's known about it for months, but he didn't say anything about it. Then, because she didn't have a song prepared, he naturally offered to do a duet with her of a song they practice. But of course it's one of the songs he wants her to sing, not a song she wants to sing. And it's a freaking duet. I'm not paying for voice lessons so I can listen to him sing.

We actually chose this music school because of the fact that they do a handful of recitals each year, and we were excited that we'd get to hear her sing more than once annually. Now, because Matt had to play some games and try to manipulate her into a song she doesn't want to do, we will miss one of the 2 or 3 chances we'll get in 2015. That pisses me off.

TLDR: Switching voice coaches because of musical direction issues.