My draft review

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that I've had time to really digest this draft here's my three cents.

2(58) Trysten Hill DT UCF
A traits selection. A Marinelli special. A reach on what they think he can become and not for what he was in college, which was a surprisingly mediocre player production wise. This guy scares me. He seems immature and overrated by the Cowboys. I have no faith in him being worth this pick. Yes, I do see the movement and quick first step but it never led to anything.

3(90) Connor McGovern G Penn St.
It's like once Marinelli was out of the room the scouts could go back to drafting good football players. I knew the second his name was announced that it would be an unpopular pick. I think it's great value and exactly the kind of thing you do in the draft, collect talent. He's the starting LG in 2020. He could start at C too but lets hope that's not necessary. You just fortified your strength.

4(128) Tony Pollard RB Memphis
Words can't express how much I hate this pick. It is a direct reflection of the soy boy mindset of society today. If you like this pick you must like less Zeke Elliott. It's really that simple. Tony Pollard waters down Ezekiel Elliott. You just made your best skill position player, by a mile in fact, less of a factor. I'm not even addressing the player specifically, who I think is okay and a 5th-6th rounder. It doesn't matter who you would take to fill this role I would hate it. We do not need a Lance friggin Dunbar in this offense. Only the Cowboys would covet this kind of crap. We needed a backup RB not a complementary RB. Hate it. Hate the Pollard family. Their BBQ sucks.

5(158) Michael Jackson CB Miami
He's intriguing. He would have gone higher coming off of 2017 (and even higher before 2009 when he died). He certainly fits the template for the overrated Kris Richard, who can't use quality cornerbacks unless they have teh length. It's a little concerning that he took a step back this past year but in the 5th round it makes sense. He fits the defense.

5(165) Joe Jackson DE Miami
I can see him potentially filling the Tyrone Crawford role for this team. A tweener who can move around when needed. He's got the size and physicality to play inside should the Cowboys go that route. He could be a very useful player on the roster with that kind of versatility. Probably my second favorite pick after McGovern but I think there's more of an opportunity for his son Michael to make the roster. Just a numbers game. Hopefully he can have a big summer and force this coaching staff to go young with that roster spot.

6(213) Donovan Wilson S Texas A&M
A box safety and special teams player. That's what the Cowboys thought they needed, by the way. They were fine at FS in their mind with Xavier Woods (which could be true but I wouldn't rely on it) They think they needed a SS upgrade. Their evaluation at this position, both their own and others, is odd to say the least. If it comes down to Frazier and Wilson for the final spot at this position, Wilson is going to have to be a pretty special special teams player to make the team. Frazier is one of the better ones we've had here in a long time. There are like 10 different ways I would have went with this pick but it's a 6th round pick and he's got a litter box at the McClay's.

Posted twice because I want to rant a little more. I can't wait to not convert critical 3rd downs in key situations this season because we're all smart and clever and safe and stuff by having our elite back on the sidelines so an inferior player can play. Zeke is a volume RB. A true workhorse every bit in the mold of Emmitt Smith. Imagine Emmitt Smith being taken off the field in the 90's for Tony Pollard. Screw this guy. Star/Pollard, UFC 150. Book it. I will spark him.

7(218) Mike Weber RB Ohio St.
This was the kind of back I was looking for, though not specifically Weber. Someone who can come in and handle Zeke's role when that glorious bastage can't play but not someone who will have his own role in the offense when Zeke is healthy. I'm not a real big fan of Weber but at this stage of the draft it's value. He might be able to fill in for a game or two and not kill the team. A lengthy Zeke absence would doom the team no matter who is back there from day 3 of this draft.

7(241) Jalen Jelks DE Oregon
The Cowboys started and ended this draft with a selection driven by traits. Very similar to Trysten Hill. He looks the part, he's got attributes that tell you he should be good but he's never played like it. The difference here is the Cowboys took that kind of player at the right portion of the draft not 58th overall. I like the flyer even though I don't think Jalen Jelks has any chance whatsoever to make the team this year. He will get molested by NFL OTs right now. He needs a really sweet nickname and a year on the practice squad. Maybe even a 3 day motel stay with Marinelli next offseason.

-

Overall I want to give this class a C but you must factor in Amari Cooper. A draft that gives you a top 15 WR and a quality starting OG can't be graded too harshly but I also can't give it a high grade when they reached at 58 and also prioritized phasing their best skill player out of the offense to some degree. So a C+ seems like a fair grade.

Speaking of draft grades, I find it comical to read every year (especially years when the grades aren't kind) how you can't grade drafts right after they happen. Sure you can. The same way you can grade players before that draft. The same way you can have your own value board and put together your own mocks and have your opinions of which players are good and bad and where their value is in the draft. If you can do all that you certainly can put a grade on a just completed draft and you're not enlightening anybody that that grade can change years down the road. This isn't a revelation. Shut the pie hole about draft grades. What you really mean is you can't grade my team's draft unless you're willing to give them an A.

I thought the Commanders nailed this draft. They get an A.

I think the Giants have been graded too harshly based on the QB reach at 6. That was bad but they added so much talent after that. They get a B.

The Eagles had a short class of 5 selections. After having only 5 last year too. It's tough to replenish the roster with young talent that way. I get it, they're arrogant over Wentz but this is something that can cost you down the road. I liked the picks enough to give them a B-.

You guys are my bros. Let's turn the page to the 2020 draft and see the Cowboys back in those 1st round mocks. (Put them in the top 15 in the order)

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know Pollard was one of the better returners in College Football, and his primary job will be as both as a K/R & P/R ?

He was a kickoff return guy. Something that has nearly been phased out of the NFL.

His primary role will be playing Lance Dunbar in the offense.

Scotman

Reaction score
Overall I want to give this class a C but you must factor in Amari Cooper. A draft that gives you a top 15 WR and a quality starting OG can't be graded too harshly but I also can't give it a high grade when they reached at 58 and also prioritized phasing their best skill player out of the offense to some degree. So a C+ seems like a fair grade.

I'm a little bit higher on Hill than you are, but like the Pollard pick even less than you do. Hill has a low floor and a high ceiling. 2nd round...I had little doubt JJ would endorse a gamble. As far as Pollard? You needed a guy to carry the load if necessary. How many games did Dunbar carry the load for us? How many games did he carry the team? Ryquell Armstead would have been a better get, IMO.

In the end, my grade is similar to yours. I'd go B- primarily because of the McGovern pick. A true need as far as I'm concerned. We've built an offense around a QB who NEEDS an extra second (or two). I'd probably pick an offensive lineman between rounds 1 and 4 every single year. Not only was McGovern a need pick, he was a tremendous value where he was taken. When you can draft players at the intersection of need and value, your draft is just stronger.

Excellent write up.

John813

Reaction score
I share(d) the dislike for Hill on Friday night and the Pollard pick I wasn't a huge fan of either but for a different reason.

Hill, well because like you posted it's a traits and potential pick. Now of course had he actually produced at UCF then he wouldn't of been there at 58.
I didn't mind a DT picked in day 2, cause well we don't have any good ones on the roster atm and I didn't want to see the team overpay to keep Collins due to lack of bodies with "potential". I like how post draft some make excuses for Hill, and even posted false info to try to justify the pick. Had he been selected by any other team in the division, there would of been a huge circle [redacted] about how they drafted a troubled player.
Now, obviously, I hope he does well here but I wasn't a fan of the pick.

Pollard I'm cautious about due to 1. Garrett will probably still have a say in the offense and 2. Not sold on the Moore train of making our offense not suck.
Can he use Pollard effectively, while not going away from Zeke too much? Will we see both in the backfield in the pistol/shotgun? And or see Pollard go into motion into the slot? Or will he be used exactly like Dunbar was? 3rd down?
Hopefully, he shows a lot as a returner in the kickoff game and for punts. Felt like a luxury pick for a team that has a bellcow do it all back.
I know he lined up as a receiver quite a bit in college IIRC. Hopefully we see that here too.

I would give the draft a B-. They listened to their coaches when making these picks. If Hill fails then Rod should finally be kicked out.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I thought it was a good draft.
solid B...that hopefully is an A down the road.
the only player Im not familar with is Wilson...didnt watch A&M much at all...but the others Ive seen play multiple times....its a good group of solid players.
Id rather have had Adderly but I like Hill and think he'll be a good player.
McGovern could challenge this season for a starting role.
Pollard is fun to watch with the ball in his hands....might take snaps away from Austin more so than Zeke.
LOVE the Jackson twins...especially Joe...love his size....reminds me of an old-school DE.
LOVED the Weber pick...tough runner...good receiver....solid blocker....one of my favorite players from that Ohio St team.
Jelks is another player that caught my eye in the Oregon games I watched....needs to bulk up but love his size...Im a sucker for 6'5 DEs.
over-all....this is a solid group of good players.
I think Dallas got better....its up to them now.
don't screw it up,fellas.

cowboyec

Reaction score
what the hell.

2020...Michigan St DT Raequan Williams.

make a helluva interior with Hill.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was a kickoff return guy. Something that has nearly been phased out of the NFL.

I don't see Pollard quite like you do (and I could be wrong). Elliott is going to need plays off. Last year, when Elliott took himself off the field, we brought in Rod Smith and he was not very effective. This year, I think we'll have a more set plan for giving Elliott some plays off by putting in Pollard on some third downs.

The result for Elliott could be the same, with him getting some scheduled plays off instead of playing until he's winded and decides he needs a break. While the result for the offense could be better because Pollard has some third-and-long skills that could lead to better results than putting Smith out there.

If our plan is to use Pollard as the third-down back in every situation and take Elliott off the field, then I agree with your assessment. I just think we know we have to give Elliott breaks and this is the way we're choosing to do it, hoping for better results.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score

His primary role will be Returner, and will replace Austin as the RB out of the slot going forward.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

A traits selection. A Marinelli special. A reach on what they think he can become and not for what he was in college, which was a surprisingly mediocre player production wise. This guy scares me. He seems immature and overrated by the Cowboys. I have no faith in him being worth this pick. Yes, I do see the movement and quick first step but it never led to anything.

It's like once Marinelli was out of the room the scouts could go back to drafting good football players. I knew the second his name was announced that it would be an unpopular pick. I think it's great value and exactly the kind of thing you do in the draft, collect talent. He's the starting LG in 2020. He could start at C too but lets hope that's not necessary. You just fortified your strength.

Words can't express how much I hate this pick. It is a direct reflection of the soy boy mindset of society today. If you like this pick you must like less Zeke Elliott. It's really that simple. Tony Pollard waters down Ezekiel Elliott. You just made your best skill position player, by a mile in fact, less of a factor. I'm not even addressing the player specifically, who I think is okay and a 5th-6th rounder. It doesn't matter who you would take to fill this role I would hate it. We do not need a Lance friggin Dunbar in this offense. Only the Cowboys would covet this kind of crap. We needed a backup RB not a complementary RB. Hate it. Hate the Pollard family. Their BBQ sucks.

He's intriguing. He would have gone higher coming off of 2017 (and even higher before 2009 when he died). He certainly fits the template for the overrated Kris Richard, who can't use quality cornerbacks unless they have teh length. It's a little concerning that he took a step back this past year but in the 5th round it makes sense. He fits the defense.

I can see him potentially filling the Tyrone Crawford role for this team. A tweener who can move around when needed. He's got the size and physicality to play inside should the Cowboys go that route. He could be a very useful player on the roster with that kind of versatility. Probably my second favorite pick after McGovern but I think there's more of an opportunity for his son Michael to make the roster. Just a numbers game. Hopefully he can have a big summer and force this coaching staff to go young with that roster spot.

A box safety and special teams player. That's what the Cowboys thought they needed, by the way. They were fine at FS in their mind with Xavier Woods (which could be true but I wouldn't rely on it) They think they needed a SS upgrade. Their evaluation at this position, both their own and others, is odd to say the least. If it comes down to Frazier and Wilson for the final spot at this position, Wilson is going to have to be a pretty special special teams player to make the team. Frazier is one of the better ones we've had here in a long time. There are like 10 different ways I would have went with this pick but it's a 6th round pick and he's got a litter box at the McClay's.

Posted twice because I want to rant a little more. I can't wait to not convert critical 3rd downs in key situations this season because we're all smart and clever and safe and stuff by having our elite back on the sidelines so an inferior player can play. Zeke is a volume RB. A true workhorse every bit in the mold of Emmitt Smith. Imagine Emmitt Smith being taken off the field in the 90's for Tony Pollard. Screw this guy. Star/Pollard, UFC 150. Book it. I will spark him.

This was the kind of back I was looking for, though not specifically Weber. Someone who can come in and handle Zeke's role when that glorious bastage can't play but not someone who will have his own role in the offense when Zeke is healthy. I'm not a real big fan of Weber but at this stage of the draft it's value. He might be able to fill in for a game or two and not kill the team. A lengthy Zeke absence would doom the team no matter who is back there from day 3 of this draft.

The Cowboys started and ended this draft with a selection driven by traits. Very similar to Trysten Hill. He looks the part, he's got attributes that tell you he should be good but he's never played like it. The difference here is the Cowboys took that kind of player at the right portion of the draft not 58th overall. I like the flyer even though I don't think Jalen Jelks has any chance whatsoever to make the team this year. He will get molested by NFL OTs right now. He needs a really sweet nickname and a year on the practice squad. Maybe even a 3 day motel stay with Marinelli next offseason.

-

Speaking of draft grades, I find it comical to read every year (especially years when the grades aren't kind) how you can't grade drafts right after they happen. Sure you can. The same way you can grade players before that draft. The same way you can have your own value board and put together your own mocks and have your opinions of which players are good and bad and where their value is in the draft. If you can do all that you certainly can put a grade on a just completed draft and you're not enlightening anybody that that grade can change years down the road. This isn't a revelation. Shut the pie hole about draft grades. What you really mean is you can't grade my team's draft unless you're willing to give them an A.

I think the Giants have been graded too harshly based on the QB reach at 6. That was bad but they added so much talent after that. They get a B.

The Eagles had a short class of 5 selections. After having only 5 last year too. It's tough to replenish the roster with young talent that way. I get it, they're arrogant over Wentz but this is something that can cost you down the road. I liked the picks enough to give them a B-.

You guys are my bros. Let's turn the page to the 2020 draft and see the Cowboys back in those 1st round mocks. (Put them in the top 15 in the order)
I think Pollard is going to be playing out of the slot more than anywhere else. Most of his snaps, Zeke will probably still be on the field

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

-

Agree with most of the player breakdowns with exception to the Pollard in the 4th. I think we just fundamentally disagree on how to get the best out of Zeke.

I think it was evident last year that Zeke had tired legs at the end of the season and alluded to as much in interviews.

If this team has any aspirations for making a deep playoff run it will be on the back to Zeke. As such it’s imperative to find ways to keep Zeke fresh; no other RB in the league has had as many touches (run/catch) as he has since 2016 (even with him missing 6 games in 2017).

If you are going to use a back to spell Zeke then he should be a weapon, rather than just a guy that can fall forward for 2-3 yards ala Rod Smith. That player also needs to bring value to the game day roster other than just sitting behind Zeke which is what Pollard gives as a kick returner/coverage unit guy.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see Pollard quite like you do (and I could be wrong). Elliott is going to need plays off. Last year, when Elliott took himself off the field, we brought in Rod Smith and he was not very effective. This year, I think we'll have a more set plan for giving Elliott some plays off by putting in Pollard on some third downs.

When Zeke needs a blow the backup comes in. That was Smith, now it's Weber. Rod Smith wasn't our 3rd down back. Which is exactly what Tony Pollard was drafted to be.

Hey you know what's a good idea? What do you say we take our best skill position player off the field for the most critical downs in the game? We can play some ham and egger from Memphis instead. It's brilliant. Plus Zeke will be safe and stuff.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Btw, the Cowboys had 13 returned kickoffs this past season. Less than 1 per game. I wish those plays still mattered like they used to but they just don't.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with most of the player breakdowns with exception to the Pollard in the 4th. I think we just fundamentally disagree on how to get the best out of Zeke.

I think it was evident last year that Zeke had tired legs at the end of the season and alluded to as much in interviews.

If this team has any aspirations for making a deep playoff run it will be on the back to Zeke. As such it’s imperative to find ways to keep Zeke fresh; no other RB in the league has had as many touches (run/catch) as he has since 2016 (even with him missing 6 games in 2017).

If you are going to use a back to spell Zeke then he should be a weapon, rather than just a guy that can fall forward for 2-3 yards ala Rod Smith. That player also needs to bring value to the game day roster other than just sitting behind Zeke which is what Pollard gives as a kick returner/coverage unit guy.

Talk to me when we fail to convert 3rd downs and extend drives because an inferior RB is on the field.

Elliott is a volume RB. He wears down defenses. Making him a 2 down player is a terrible idea.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
An excellent point.

You know the Cowboys will have him return punts, despite his inexperience there, to prove a point.

HE'S VERSATILE!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Talk to me when we fail to convert 3rd downs and extend drives because an inferior RB is on the field.

Elliott is a volume RB. He wears down defenses. Making him a 2 down player is a terrible idea.

His heavy usage is not sustainable especially if you’re making a deep playoff run. Pollard doesn’t mean Zeke is relegated to just two downs; that’s just being extreme.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When Zeke needs a blow the backup comes in. That was Smith, now it's Weber. Rod Smith wasn't our 3rd down back. Which is exactly what Tony Pollard was drafted to be.

Hey you know what's a good idea? What do you say we take our best skill position player off the field for the most critical downs in the game? We can play some ham and egger from Memphis instead. It's brilliant. Plus Zeke will be safe and stuff.

I don't think Weber will be used unless Elliott is injured and we need an everydown back ... unless he just proves to be someone we need to get on the field. I agree that Pollard is a third-down back, but I really don't expect him to be used more than we played Rod Smith. So it isn't taking more snaps away from Elliott; it's having a plan for when to give Elliott a rest.

Frankly, if Pollard is as good of a receiver as a back as he's supposed to be and can run draws, I don't have a problem with him replacing Elliott on third-and-long. Elliott is a good receiver for a running back; Pollard is supposed to be a good receiver period who can make catches like a receiver. We rarely hand the ball off in third-and-long, so we're mainly going to be pass protection where Elliott would either have to block or be an outlet receiver. I do not mind if we reallocate the snaps Smith would get in this way.

Now, if we're taking more snaps away from Elliott or taking him off the field when a run is considered just as likely as a pass, I think that would be a mistake. However, I can't say I agreed with every decision Elliott made to take himself out of the game. I know he did it when he needed a rest, but there were times when I thought we really needed to have him out there. I'm not sure third-and-8, third-and-9, third-and-10-plus are those times. Of course, the argument could be made that we don't need any RB out there in those situations.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
An excellent point.

You know the Cowboys will have him return punts, despite his inexperience there, to prove a point.

HE'S VERSATILE!

And I would imagine with an actual threat as a kick returner you’ll see those number of returned kicks increase.

We were trotting out Darius Jackson out there.