My Draft Thoughts

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted for my own reference. Please do not read. Scroll down, like and leave. Mind your own business.

Top 50
1. Jalen Carter DT Georgia
2. Bijon Robinson RB Texas
3. Will Anderson Jr. OLB Alabama
4. C.J. Stroud QB Ohio St.
5. Bryce Young QB Alabama

6. Paris Johnson Jr. T Ohio St.
7. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Ohio St.
8. Devon Witherspoon CB Illinois
9. Myles Murphy DE Clemson
10. Peter Skoronski T/G Northwestern

11. Darnell Wright T Tennessee
12. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah
13. Deonte Banks CB Maryland
14. Tyree Wilson DE Texas Tech
15. Joey Porter Jr. CB Penn St.

16. Broderick Jones T Georgia
17. Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon
18. Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama
19. Nolan Smith DE Georgia
20. Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame

21. Calijah Kancey DT Pittsburgh
22. Zay Flowers WR Boston College
23. O'Cyrus Torrence G Florida
24. Will McDonald IV DE Iowa St.
25. Mazi Smith DT Michigan

26. Anthony Richardson QB Florida
27. Jordan Addison WR USC
28. Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi St.
29. Brian Branch S Alabama
30. Keion White DE Georgia Tech

31. Will Levis QB Kentucky
32. Steve Avila G TCU
33. Lukas Van Ness DE Iowa
34. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon St.
35. Drew Sanders LB Arkansas

36. Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee
37. DJ Turner CB Michigan
38. Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee
39. Quentin Johnston WR TCU
40. Anton Harrison T Oklahoma

41. Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin
42. Josh Downs WR North Carolina
43. Felix Anudike-Uzomah DE Kansas St.
44. Julius Brents CB Kansas St.
45. John Michael Schmitz C Minnesota

46. Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
47. Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota St.
48. Dawand Jones T Ohio St.
49. Trenton Simpson LB Clemson
50. Cody Mauch T North Dakota St.

-

Mock
My real mock draft will occur each time the Cowboys are on the clock. I'm not naive enough to think I know who will be available at each pick. There are always surprises.

The rule is unless one of the major draft resources, Kiper, McShay, Brugler, Zierlein, etc., has the player in that general area or later, he is not available at the pick.

The other rule is no cornerbacks ... or anyone who has a cornerback in their ancestry.

The priority here? Win the 49ers game. Surround the QB with playmakers.

1(26) Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama
Weapons, weapons, weapons. The next Alvin Kamara, who can time share with whatever form of Pollard we get in 2023 and replace him in 2024. A dynamic game changer. A guy who can score from anywhere on the field as a rusher or receiver isn't worth the 26th pick? Spare me.

2(58) Tucker Kraft TE South Dakota St.
We missed out on the top tier TEs but get one of the best in the next tier. Kraft will give you the blocking of Ferguson with an upgrade of Schultz as a receiver. He's not Dalton Kincaid but he's got some burst as a down field threat.

3(90) Marvin Mims Jr. WR Oklahoma
Field stretching big play WR who can help in the return game while he waits for his opportunity. Has the clutch gene. You're on notice, Mr. Gallup.

4(129) Anthony Bradford G LSU
I have my doubts Bradford will be here but some project him to be. If he is he becomes one of the gems of Day 3. Any warts to his game can be addressed moving him inside where he's an early starter at LG and a roadgrading partner in crime for Tyler Smith.

5(169) Keondre Coburn DT Texas
For some reason he's being knocked for not being taller (he's listed at 6'2") but that only helps him win the leverage battle as a two down NT who moves better than you would think. Quinton Bohanna, we'll miss you.

6(212) Asim Richards T North Carolina
Ideal developmental swing tackle to push Josh Ball off of the roster. I think he goes a round higher than this.

7(244) Shaka Heyward LB Duke
Special teams ace with the tools and frame to develop as a defender.

Note to self: You nailed this. You should post it in a thread that's allowed to be read for the likes potential. Cooks now with Gibbs, Kraft and Mims gives the Cowboys significantly more ammo to win in January and you did it without forcing it. Every one of those players is worth the pick. You've also solidified the OL in front of them. Bring on the 49ers.

-

Thoughts
* The Cowboys will never do what I just did in the mock.

* Do not forget why we lost in the playoffs the last couple of years. BPA yes, but all ties should go to skill position talent around this QB.

* I just don't buy Darnell Washington as a TE. At least not at the top of the draft. Which is why he's not in my top 50. He's an ultra blocker who has to learn to be a receiver. I don't see the value in the first two rounds. This isn't 1985. I'd rather transition him to OT but he's a project either way.

* I didn't forget Bryan Bresee either. He's overrated. A 3rd round pick.

* The Cowboys have made just one trade in the first 3 rounds since 2015. Trader Jerry has long been dead. It's the rest of him that won't cooperate. (80 years, 6 months, 11 days)

* The absolute biggest realistic home run the Cowboys could hit is if Jaxon Smith-Njigba fell to 26. People are sleeping on how good he is simply because he was injured last year. I think he can be better than CeeDee Lamb. (Fist fights are scheduled thru DM. Use "Pennsylvania Hands Exchange" in the title)

* I really like Steve Avila. If the Cowboys do take him at 26 I'll feel the same about it as I did the selections of Travis Frederick and Tyler Smith. Love the player. I just wish they would have traded down a few spots first.

* With the Cowboys talking to Damone Clark about his college teammates it makes me think they are targeting BJ Ojulari to add to the front seven. No argument here. When you have Cox who would complain about getting a BJ?

* Hey, Cowboys? How about we just repeat what we do in the 1st round in the 2nd round as well? They have a higher hit rate in the 6th round the last 10 years than the 2nd. It's crazy.

* Best sporting event of the year and there isn't a close second.

Cowboys!

rambo2

Reaction score
Posted for my own reference. Please do not read. Scroll down, like and leave. Mind your own business.

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock
My real mock draft will occur each time the Cowboys are on the clock. I'm not naive enough to think I know who will be available at each pick. There are always surprises.

The rule is unless one of the major draft resources, Kiper, McShay, Brugler, Zierlein, etc., has the player in that general area or later, he is not available at the pick.

The other rule is no cornerbacks ... or anyone who has a cornerback in their ancestry.

Weapons, weapons, weapons. The next Alvin Kamara, who can time share with whatever form of Pollard we get in 2023 and replace him in 2024. A dynamic game changer. A guy who can score from anywhere on the field as a rusher or receiver isn't worth the 26th pick? Spare me.

We missed out on the top tier TEs but get one of the best in the next tier. Kraft will give you the blocking of Ferguson with an upgrade of Schultz as a receiver. He's not Dalton Kincaid but he's got some burst as a down field threat.

Field stretching big play WR who can help in the return game while he waits for his opportunity. Has the clutch gene. You're on notice, Mr. Gallup.

I have my doubts Bradford will be here but some project him to be. If he is he becomes one of the gems of Day 3. Any warts to his game can be addressed moving him inside where he's an early starter at LG and a roadgrading partner in crime for Tyler Smith.

For some reason he's being knocked for not being taller (he's listed at 6'2") but that only helps him win the leverage battle as a two down NT who moves better than you would think. Quinton Bohanna, we'll miss you.

Ideal developmental swing tackle to push Josh Ball off of the roster. I think he goes a round higher than this.

Note to self: You nailed this. You should post it in a thread that's allowed to be read for the likes potential. Cooks now with Gibbs, Kraft and Mims gives the Cowboys significantly more ammo to win in January and you did it without forcing it. Every one of those players is worth the pick. You've also solidified the OL in front of them. Bring on the 49ers.

-

Thoughts

* Do not forget why we lost in the playoffs the last couple of years. BPA yes, but all ties should go to skill position talent around this QB.

* I just don't buy Darnell Washington as a TE. At least not at the top of the draft. Which is why he's not in my top 50. He's an ultra blocker who has to learn to be a receiver. I don't see the value in the first two rounds. This isn't 1985. I'd rather transition him to OT but he's a project either way.

* The Cowboys have made just one trade in the first 3 rounds since 2015. Trader Jerry has long been dead. It's the rest of him that won't cooperate. (80 years, 6 months, 11 days)

* The absolute biggest realistic home run the Cowboys could hit is if Jaxon Smith-Njigba fell to 26. People are sleeping on how good he is simply because he was injured last year. I think he can be better than CeeDee Lamb. (Fist fights are scheduled thru DM. Use "Pennsylvania Hands Exchange" in the title)

* I really like Steve Avila. If the Cowboys do take him at 26 I'll feel the same about it as I did the selections of Travis Frederick and Tyler Smith. Love the player. I just wish they would have traded down a few spots first.

* With the Cowboys talking to Damone Clark about his college teammates it makes me think they are targeting BJ Ojulari to add to the front seven. No argument here. When you have Cox who would complain about getting a BJ?

* Hey, Cowboys? How about we just repeat what we do in the 1st round in the 2nd round as well? They have a higher hit rate in the 6th round the last 10 years than the 2nd. It's crazy.

Cowboys!
If they draft Avila I suspect that they will trade back to get him. They could get him between 31 and 35.

RS12

Reaction score
* Do not forget why we lost in the playoffs the last couple of years. BPA yes, but all ties should go to skill position talent around this QB
Unfortunately 100% accurate. I'd be shocked of one of the first two picks isnt offensive skill. I would not be shocked at all if both were. BTW I noticed an interesting pattern on the names with the lines through them.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head. The top goal of this draft should be to surround Dak with more skill players

morasp

Reaction score
Gallup and Tolbert are average at best the first four picks would add the firepower they desperately need on offense. With the players they've talked to I think WR may be in their plans.

Gibbs>Zeke
Kraft> Schultz
Mims>Gallup and Tolbert

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
Looks good, though Im not that high on Bradford. Dont know that he is ever better than Farniok who really never should be more than your 5th best interior player. Getting a guy like Byron Young to go with that Corburn pick there would be nice. To he honest, just not a fan of this interior OL class outside a few guys

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
Absolutely agree with adding talent at skill positions for Dak. OL at 26 is fine by me as well.

Gotta resist my impulse and preference to go D. This team has largely ignored that side of the roster for years until Quinn arrived. Gotta go offense heavy Day 1 and 2 IMO… and get aggressive Day 3 and UDFA on defense.

Bottom line is that they have pushed their chips all in this year— therefore we need plug and play starters more on offense.

Hardline

Reaction score
The need for offensive skill players is why I try to trade up for Bijan Robinson should he fall to the mid teens. No player in this draft will set this offense over the top than him.

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
Well I like your mock not sure about the prospect rating but how would I know.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Strength of the draft is DE and CB and we didn’t draft one. Also not a fan of taking low value positions in the 1st 2 rounds and Kraft feels like a big reach.

Love the 3rd and 4th round picks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
I am expecting an offensive heavy draft, this seems very realistic to expect.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
You managed to add both size and speed, where it matters most. Size on the interior offensive and defensive lines, and speed where it’s been lacking on offense. Nice work.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted to mix it up with people on Darnell Washington. I know he's got his fans seduced by the potential.

tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The need for offensive skill players is why I try to trade up for Bijan Robinson should he fall to the mid teens. No player in this draft will set this offense over the top than him.
:thumbdown:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any mock that has us picking Gibbs in the 1st is an A+ for me. I’ve been touting this kid for months. OROY
I've learned over the years not to get devoted to any player as you just set yourself up for disappointment. I just want to see logic in the picks we make but I will feel a little bummed when we don't take Gibbs.

That dude is a nightmare to defend. Prescott could be doing his Prescott stuff and it won't matter because Gibbs just took a panic dump off pass 80 yards for a TD.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
who cares about your thoughts!!

J-man

Reaction score

Top 50

32. Steve Avila G TCU

-

Mock

-

Thoughts

Cowboys!
Nice write up, I reluctantly gave you your coveted "like".