My FA Moves

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you will see a break from the norm in terms of FA this offseason. I dont think you will see big " buying a championship" type splurges, but I do think you will the FO try to effectively utilize FA to improve the roster. I dont think you will see a couple signings in upper part of the mid tier (6 to 9 million per. If this proves correct, here are the players I would like to see Dallas sign

- Bennie Logan. 4 years 35 million. Is on a 1 year deal for 8 million, and money wise that seems right for him. Dallas really liked him in the 2013 draft, and he would come in here as a do everything 1 Tech. Excellent VS the run, and while he doesnt get sack numbers he gets enough pressure from the 1 tech spot. A good system fit.

-Kenny Vaccaro. 4 years, 24 million. Another guy we really liked in 2013. Hasnt lived up to his lofty draft status, but had a very good year. He has had his ups and downs, which is why he wont see top money.

- Donte Moncrief. 2 years, 5 million. Very talent WR who is only 24. Improved significantly in year 2 but his production has really fallen off since. I think Moncrief would leave camp as the #2 WR and still has upside to develope into #1 type WR. He is a flier I think we need to take this offseason

canters

Reaction score
Yes on Logan. Vaccaro seems to get dumb penalties when I watch NO play, so ?

Sydla

Reaction score
I could live with all three. Logan or Poe or even a guy like Kyle Williams on a one year deal are a priority for me. I want a big, sloppy, run plugging somewhat studly 1 Tech next to Collins/Irving.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
WE just need a guy that can eat some blockers and keep our linebackers clean.

We shouldn't need to spend 8 mill a season for that.

I'll take Logan but I would look for a cheaper option. Another Terrell McClain is what we need.

What about Allen Robinson? Do you think he will cost too much?

Sydla

Reaction score
WE just need a guy that can eat some blockers and keep our linebackers clean.

We shouldn't need to spend 8 mill a season for that.

I'll take Logan but I would look for a cheaper option. Another Terrell McClain is what we need.

What about Allen Robinson? Do you think he will cost too much?

Yeah, I am tired of the cheap options at the 1 Tech. Get an accomplished player in there.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think you will see a break from the norm in terms of FA this offseason. I dont think you will see big " buying a championship" type splurges, but I do think you will the FO try to effectively utilize FA to improve the roster. I dont think you will see a couple signings in upper part of the mid tier (6 to 9 million per. If this proves correct, here are the players I would like to see Dallas sign

- Bennie Logan. 4 years 35 million. Is on a 1 year deal for 8 million, and money wise that seems right for him. Dallas really liked him in the 2013 draft, and he would come in here as a do everything 1 Tech. Excellent VS the run, and while he doesnt get sack numbers he gets enough pressure from the 1 tech spot. A good system fit.

-Kenny Vaccaro. 4 years, 24 million. Another guy we really liked in 2013. Hasnt lived up to his lofty draft status, but had a very good year. He has had his ups and downs, which is why he wont see top money.

- Donte Moncrief. 2 years, 5 million. Very talent WR who is only 24. Improved significantly in year 2 but his production has really fallen off since. I think Moncrief would leave camp as the #2 WR and still has upside to develope into #1 type WR. He is a flier I think we need to take this offseason

No way does Dallas pay a 1tech 8mil a yr when they wont even use a high draft pick to draft one. Why do you think they let mcclain walk? They kept him until he wasnt cheap and then let him go sign his big deal in washington.

i think this team likes what theyre building in the secondary. Only S i think they would bring in is a Earl Thomas.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No way does Dallas pay a 1tech 8mil a yr when they wont even use a high draft pick to draft one. Why do you think they let mcclain walk? They kept him until he wasnt cheap and then let him go sign his big deal in washington.

i think this team likes what theyre building in the secondary. Only S i think they would bring in is a Earl Thomas.

First off, who's your car insurance with?

To this fan, the strongest swing in top shelf status came following a top defensive lineman being added to the lineup. Lilly, Haley, Maryland...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
First off, who's your car insurance with?

To this fan, the strongest swing in top shelf status came following a top defensive lineman being added to the lineup. Lilly, Haley, Maryland...
Then count your pennies and buy a team to go after that 1tech of your dreams. Because its not happening in Dallas. Every exec and coach on this team has said over and over theyre not going to spend big on that spot. Fans just dont want to listen because they signed one in Madden.

Last time i checked this defense has been getting significantly better on def as a whole. If you said spend big money on a FS or even a MLB id agree. But i 1tech, i just laugh and shake my head because ur just not listening or just choose to ignore what the team is telling you over and over every yr.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Then count your pennies and buy a team to go after that 1tech of your dreams. Because its not happening in Dallas. Every exec and coach on this team has said over and over theyre not going to spend big on that spot. Fans just dont want to listen because they signed one in Madden.

Last time i checked this defense has been getting significantly better on def as a whole. If you said spend big money on a FS or even a MLB id agree. But i 1tech, i just laugh and shake my head because ur just not listening or just choose to ignore what the team is telling you over and over every yr.

I wasn't aware that use of a port-a-potty required a character assassination and how to instructions...but you go.

Dalmations202

Reaction score

You may be 100% correct about what this team will do. But just a few years Back -- Dallas was winning SuperBowls. Jimmy Johnson was the head coach, and he draft a 1T in Russell Maryland --- no 1 overall in the draft. They didn't spend money on LB's at that time, so it can be done several ways.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
a 1T in Dallas is about a 30% of the snaps position.
They play two 3T on all passing downs.
But you never know.
Dallas had never shown any indication they valued RB before they drafted Zeke. NONE.
Dallas had never drafted Safety round 1 at one point.
Dallas had never drafted OL highly for a long run either.

So is there an outlier at 1T who could also play pass downs?
Unlikely but I am not saying never.

I will say Rod has done a good job with average to poor DE's playing inside as 3T pass rushers on passing downs.
He was 100% right to pass on Shariff Floyd.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Moncrief isn’t signing for 5 mil lol. He has a 100 yard season to his credit. T will doesn’t have that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
a 1T in Dallas is about a 30% of the snaps position.
They play two 3T on all passing downs.
But you never know.
Dallas had never shown any indication they valued RB before they drafted Zeke. NONE.
Dallas had never drafted Safety round 1 at one point.
Dallas had never drafted OL highly for a long run either.

So is there an outlier at 1T who could also play pass downs?
Unlikely but I am not saying never.

I will say Rod has done a good job with average to poor DE's playing inside as 3T pass rushers on passing downs.
He was 100% right to pass on Shariff Floyd.
Those rules weren't working out so well for us and I'm glad they changed

You only have to pay 6-8m for a sturdy 1T.... we pay that to TCrawford
Or we can draft a top DT if he slides to 15-19

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

They aren't going to pay 6-8M for a guy to play 30% of the snaps nor are they drafting one in top few rounds.
But again it's possible they decide they see a guy who can play 80-90%of DT snaps and pay/draft him.

It's all very unlikely but not impossible.

More likely IMHO is the season Rod retires we draft DT R1 the next draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

They aren't going to pay 6-8M for a guy to play 30% of the snaps nor are they drafting one in top few rounds.
But again it's possible they decide they see a guy who can play 80-90%of DT snaps and pay/draft him.

It's all very unlikely but not impossible.

More likely IMHO is the season Rod retires we draft DT R1 the next draft.
And as far as working out, i'm probably torn.

RB: Zeke has been great but Dallas has had great success with non-Zeke backs. Morris was cheap, Murray was post R1, Barber, Choice, McFadden. Had Dallas passe don Zeke you get Alfred Morris at RB1 and Ramsey as your CB1.
Safety: RW31 was good for a couple seasons but was legislated out of the league. Since we've seen Byron Jones and welp that's not gone well. But we've hit on Xavier Woods R5 and Kavon Frazier R6 I think. Barry Church was like a R4.
1T: While fans cry about it non-stop reality is the defense has been solid the last couple years unless Sean Lee is out. We've found warm, cheap bodies to do the job.

You can't value every position equally but I also think you have to have leeway for outliers.
So I'd always grade on a positional curve.
MY big boards would have scouting grade, position coaches grade, intangibles grade and positional grade as part of the algorithm.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Logan I'd certainly be happy to have. Vaccaro was a player I wanted in 2013, but not sure about him now. Could be worth a 4 year 16 mil contract maybe.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And as far as working out, i'm probably torn.

RB: Zeke has been great but Dallas has had great success with non-Zeke backs. Morris was cheap, Murray was post R1, Barber, Choice, McFadden. Had Dallas passe don Zeke you get Alfred Morris at RB1 and Ramsey as your CB1.
Safety: RW31 was good for a couple seasons but was legislated out of the league. Since we've seen Byron Jones and welp that's not gone well. But we've hit on Xavier Woods R5 and Kavon Frazier R6 I think. Barry Church was like a R4.
1T: While fans cry about it non-stop reality is the defense has been solid the last couple years unless Sean Lee is out. We've found warm, cheap bodies to do the job.

You can't value every position equally but I also think you have to have leeway for outliers.
So I'd always grade on a positional curve.
MY big boards would have scouting grade, position coaches grade, intangibles grade and positional grade as part of the algorithm.
Don't forget about the OG and C we drafted in the 1st......No one does that either

Zeke is 100% worth it.......he changes the whole offense
BJones is also a big win....... 3-4 year starter at 27 in the draft is a win

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Depending on who's available at 19, I may actually be in favor of a trade down. Doing so may allow us a few more draft picks which could certainly be helpful. I like trading down anyway on my mock drafts through Fanspeak.