My gripes - Tell me why this happens

superpunk

Reaction score
Not running the ball - why would we abandon it? Yeah, the Skins were stout, but we didn't even give ourselves a chance. We did the same thing against Buffalo, was it, last season? A team that is terrible against the run, and we don't even try.

Not finishing. This has been a constant in every game. Do you want to put this on the fact that we're not hitting in camp yet? Two near sacks where the defenders left their feet today led to big plays for Washington. Finish the damn play, Ware. (I know he played a good game otherwise, but that was huge).

Those are my two biggest problems. And it goes straight to the top. Tell me why it doesn't.

dre1614

Reaction score
we abandoned the run because they were stuffing Barber pretty much every single time. Garrett probably thought why run when we wont go anywhere, at least passing the ball we will have a chance.

Ender

Reaction score
No we abandon the run because it was bad play calling. But ypu guys love Garrett right. He should be the head coach right.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Who is our genius play caller who called for 47 passing attempts and 8 rushing attempts (well, 10, if we include Owens' "carries" and a whopping 11, if we include Romo)?

es22

Reaction score
I was surprised that Felix didnt get any action with the starting O along with Barber. We need all our weapons on the field

jimmy40

Reaction score
Ender;2292852 said:
No we abandon the run because it was bad play calling. But ypu guys love Garrett right. He should be the head coach right.
and if we would have been running the ball and lost with their DB's hurt and cramping up everyone would be screaming about us not passing enough. we just got beat, it happens.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
We abandon the run WHENEVER we are behind....check the play-by-play in our losses last year and the year before that on NFL.com. 1 TD behind and we abandon it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was bad play calling by Garret no matter how you slice it. And this is not the first time he has done it.

Not going to rag on him much or want him fired or anything of that nature...just saying it was a bad job by him and it was not the first.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
We were too busy trying to get the ball in TO's hands.

As much as they say that TO isn't complaining, I think that he did complain because they tried real hard to get him the ball.

dre1614

Reaction score
jimmy40;2292899 said:
and if we would have been running the ball and lost with their DB's hurt and cramping up everyone would be screaming about us not passing enough. we just got beat, it happens.

good point.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
dre1614;2292828 said:
we abandoned the run because they were stuffing Barber pretty much every single time. Garrett probably thought why run when we wont go anywhere, at least passing the ball we will have a chance.

When you overload one aspect of the offense, you are just making things to easy for the defense. Why worry about the run when they already know we will pass?

You have to have balance. You have to. Even if you are just getting 3 yards, it's better than an incompletion, or worse, an interception.

There is no reason, barring injury, why our probowl running back should have 8 carries and our budding playmaker to have 0 carries. None whatsoever.

This loss is on Garrett. This was the same reason why we lost to the Giants in the playoffs and he has not learned yet.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think we abandoned the run because it wasn't working and the Commanders kept scoring. I would've like to have seen Felix to give a change of pace for their defense and sometimes running backs just don't "have it" some games. I think the defense was the major problem today (along with McBriar forgetting how to kick). It wasn't like last year's Eagles loss where the Eagles were not scoring, but we refused to run the ball. Even still, the offense did manage to score 24 points with only 1 turnover, so it's really not like the offense is the problem. Anybody who relies on the offense scoring 27+ points a game to win is asking a bit too much.

YAKUZA

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2292917 said:
It was bad play calling by Garret no matter how you slice it. And this is not the first time he has done it.

Not going to rag on him much or want him fired or anything of that nature...just saying it was a bad job by him and it was not the first.

thank you, now I dont have to type it!

Wolfpack

Reaction score
No draws that I recall and only a pair of delay runs.

A screen might have been nice against the deep zone the skins stayed in.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
jdub2k4;2292999 said:
When you overload one aspect of the offense, you are just making things to easy for the defense. Why worry about the run when they already know we will pass?

You have to have balance. You have to. Even if you are just getting 3 yards, it's better than an incompletion, or worse, an interception.

There is no reason, barring injury, why our probowl running back should have 8 carries and our budding playmaker to have 0 carries. None whatsoever.

This loss is on Garrett. This was the same reason why we lost to the Giants in the playoffs and he has not learned yet.

no complaints from me, it seems that he out though himself trying to fool the skins.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I thought it was a terrible job by Garrett... not just bad, awful.

Felix only saw the field on KO returns. I never saw him on the field any other time. MB3 got 8 carries, and that was when we never fell behind more than 10. Inexcusable. And if TO is having problems getting away from the jam, wouldn't you think you motion him, or move him around. We didn't do any of that until the second half. It shouldn't take that long Garrett.

Maybe Garrett knew we were gonna lose and only gave Marion 8 carries so we could keep that stat up of only losing once when he gets more than 11. But what if Marion's 11th carry was the one that he broke for a TD? It's not like he was completely shut down. He still had at least a couple of good runs.

dre1614

Reaction score
peplaw06;2293423 said:
I thought it was a terrible job by Garrett... not just bad, awful.

Felix only saw the field on KO returns. I never saw him on the field any other time. MB3 got 8 carries, and that was when we never fell behind more than 10. Inexcusable. And if TO is having problems getting away from the jam, wouldn't you think you motion him, or move him around. We didn't do any of that until the second half. It shouldn't take that long Garrett.

Maybe Garrett knew we were gonna lose and only gave Marion 8 carries so we could keep that stat up of only losing once when he gets more than 11. But what if Marion's 11th carry was the one that he broke for a TD? It's not like he was completely shut down. He still had at least a couple of good runs.

yes he was completely shut down. He had 1 good run. The skins forced us to beat them passing to our secondary weapons, and move the ball methodically down the field with the pass.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
dre1614;2293439 said:
yes he was completely shut down. He had 1 good run. The skins forced us to beat them passing to our secondary weapons, and move the ball methodically down the field with the pass.
1 good run out of 8 is not being completely shut down.

lcharles

Negativity King
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2292922 said:
We were too busy trying to get the ball in TO's hands.

As much as they say that TO isn't complaining, I think that he did complain because they tried real hard to get him the ball.

I said the same thing to my son. T.O. wasn't gonna be happy being just a role player two weeks in a row.

I sure wish our players had a team first mentality.

dre1614

Reaction score
peplaw06;2293469 said:
1 good run out of 8 is not being completely shut down.

8 for 26 is being shut down, I cant explain it any better. what is that 3.1 yards per attempt?