My gripes - Tell me why this happens

landryscorner

Reaction score
dre1614;2292828 said:
we abandoned the run because they were stuffing Barber pretty much every single time. Garrett probably thought why run when we wont go anywhere, at least passing the ball we will have a chance.

Ok yah and so were the packers, did we give up? umm no, we beat the Packers, end of story.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Tony kept changing the run plays to pass at the line of scrimmage when the coverage dictated it. That is what he is supposed to do.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
superpunk;2292809 said:
Not running the ball - why would we abandon it? Yeah, the Skins were stout, but we didn't even give ourselves a chance. We did the same thing against Buffalo, was it, last season? A team that is terrible against the run, and we don't even try.

Not finishing. This has been a constant in every game. Do you want to put this on the fact that we're not hitting in camp yet? Two near sacks where the defenders left their feet today led to big plays for Washington. Finish the damn play, Ware. (I know he played a good game otherwise, but that was huge).

Those are my two biggest problems. And it goes straight to the top. Tell me why it doesn't.

Yep. I'll take 3-1 through the first quarter of the season, but those are my two biggest concerns since they've apparently carried over from last year.

Jason Garrett loses his composure, goes off the reservation and started playing Arena League Football in the 2nd half ... just like in the Giants game. In the post game show they said this is the 2nd lowest rushing attempts by a Cowboys team in franchise history. That's absolutely ridiculous in a game that was pretty much neck and neck throughout. Spare me the excuses about the kind of defense the Commanders were running. This franchise has seen 8 man fronts many times over the last near 50 years, but somehow found a way to get the ball to their backs more than 9 times. Romo is taking a lot of heat for that pick, but when you completely abandon the run and become an almost completely 1 sided passing team you're going to get one or two of those a game because the defense is going to guess right eventually. Look at Marino's INT numbers from those 1 dimensional Dolphin teams.

And this team still makes mind boggling mistakes at the worst times late in games ... see 12 men on the field coming out of a timeout break.

.. and also throw in the fact that this defense is overrated ..were probably going to be ranked around 25th or worse in scoring defense in the NFL after today.

But ... we're on pace to make the playoffs. The only thing that counts for this team is how they do in the playoffs. I'm not getting too high or too low after regular season games this year.

kramskoi

Reaction score
jimmy40;2292899 said:
and if we would have been running the ball and lost with their DB's hurt and cramping up everyone would be screaming about us not passing enough. we just got beat, it happens.

...and it's a dangerous trend that picks right up where they left off against New York last year...when Dallas scores 28 points or greater they are tough to beat...less than 21 and all bets are off...as the offense goes, this team goes...you can almost say that they are even handicapped against division foes because Romo usually throws at least one pick before the final whistle...no turnover and Dallas wins that game today, even with a less than stellar performance...

...a few fans may take issue with what i'm about to state but even Jimmy Johnson has acknowledged that San Francisco was the better team in 1992 but they lost the turnover battle and that made the difference...Romo simply has one more step to take before he can put on the ring of a champion...this team has to become more mature, disciplined and focused over the ENTIRE season...they've got their eyes on making amends in the playoffs but more games like today and they won't even see the playoffs...

...Dallas HAS to be able to run the ball against NY, PHI and Wash...they simply have to or they won't win the division or a playoff game, it's as simple as that...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2292809 said:
Not running the ball - why would we abandon it? Yeah, the Skins were stout, but we didn't even give ourselves a chance. We did the same thing against Buffalo, was it, last season? A team that is terrible against the run, and we don't even try.

Not finishing. This has been a constant in every game. Do you want to put this on the fact that we're not hitting in camp yet? Two near sacks where the defenders left their feet today led to big plays for Washington. Finish the damn play, Ware. (I know he played a good game otherwise, but that was huge).

Those are my two biggest problems. And it goes straight to the top. Tell me why it doesn't.

I have concerns as well. one of my biggest concerns is tank johnson. I dont think he is very good against the run. When we play a team like washington, ny or even a buffalo I think he becomes a liability. I dont think he can play the run effectively for 4 quarters against big physical teams. They went right after him today.

and my other concern lies with Campo, maxie, stewart and phillips. Andy reid took phillips and stewart behind the wood shed and this game was close to that.

the good thing is, it is september and a dose of reality is exactly what this team needs. They are going to have to take their lumps for the next month or so about not being a mentally or physicall tough team.

and even with all that said, all the complaining and all the griping, if hurd catches that terrific onsides kick I have no doubt we win the game.

All the east teams can beat each other. The crowd that thinks we are going to win games in the division 52-10 are insane. I hope they wake up too.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
peplaw06;2293423 said:
I thought it was a terrible job by Garrett... not just bad, awful.

Felix only saw the field on KO returns. I never saw him on the field any other time. MB3 got 8 carries, and that was when we never fell behind more than 10. Inexcusable. And if TO is having problems getting away from the jam, wouldn't you think you motion him, or move him around. We didn't do any of that until the second half. It shouldn't take that long Garrett.

Maybe Garrett knew we were gonna lose and only gave Marion 8 carries so we could keep that stat up of only losing once when he gets more than 11. But what if Marion's 11th carry was the one that he broke for a TD? It's not like he was completely shut down. He still had at least a couple of good runs.

Man I was thinking the same thing... All the time last week it was how TO was going to have to motion here and there to get off the jam that Al Harris and C Woodson were to employ... I guarantee you if I was picking a DB group and I see Shawn Springs... he will go before Woodson or Harris every time... Shawn Springs is one heck of a cover corner... It baffled me too why TO was not motioned until after the first half was over. Not giving #24 the rock either was a poor choice.

Funny you should say eleven carries for Barber... I think that is the magic number that Barber needs to keep Dallas at a sick winning pct. If Barber has eleven carries or more, Dallas has a monstrous winning percentage over the competition... can't remember what the exact number was, but it is big.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You know what you call a team that abandons the run?

Losers.

Everson24

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2293044 said:
I think we abandoned the run because it wasn't working and the Commanders kept scoring.

Exactly. I believe Garrett had no confidence in our defense whatsoever. I f he did he would have tolerated a few 3 and outs to get the running game going.

This game was lost mainly because of the defenses inability to force punts.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
theebs;2293810 said:
and my other concern lies with Larry, Currly, Moe and Shemp. Andy reid took phillips and stewart behind the wood shed and this game was close to that.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think we abandoned the run because it wasn't working and the Commanders kept scoring. I would've like to have seen Felix to give a change of pace for their defense and sometimes running backs just don't "have it" some games. I think the defense was the major problem today (along with McBriar forgetting how to kick). It wasn't like last year's Eagles loss where the Eagles were not scoring, but we refused to run the ball. Even still, the offense did manage to score 24 points with only 1 turnover, so it's really not like the offense is the problem. Anybody who relies on the offense scoring 27+ points a game to win is asking a bit too much.

YAKUZA

Yep, pretty much the way I see it.

Boysboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2293785 said:
Yep. I'll take 3-1 through the first quarter of the season, but those are my two biggest concerns since they've apparently carried over from last year.

Jason Garrett loses his composure, goes off the reservation and started playing Arena League Football in the 2nd half ... just like in the Giants game. In the post game show they said this is the 2nd lowest rushing attempts by a Cowboys team in franchise history. That's absolutely ridiculous in a game that was pretty much neck and neck throughout. Spare me the excuses about the kind of defense the Commanders were running. This franchise has seen 8 man fronts many times over the last near 50 years, but somehow found a way to get the ball to their backs more than 9 times. Romo is taking a lot of heat for that pick, but when you completely abandon the run and become an almost completely 1 sided passing team you're going to get one or two of those a game because the defense is going to guess right eventually. Look at Marino's INT numbers from those 1 dimensional Dolphin teams.

And this team still makes mind boggling mistakes at the worst times late in games ... see 12 men on the field coming out of a timeout break.

.. and also throw in the fact that this defense is overrated ..were probably going to be ranked around 25th or worse in scoring defense in the NFL after today.

But ... we're on pace to make the playoffs. The only thing that counts for this team is how they do in the playoffs. I'm not getting too high or too low after regular season games this year.

Ah...NO-in other threads, you said we lost this game b/c TO's fragile ego had to be babied.

Sorry-you can't have it both ways.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
:hammer:

That is exactly my feeling. The kept trying to force it to TO which played right into the Commanders hands because they were going to do everything they could to take him away. Way to take what the D isn't giving u! Whatever caused this thinking, it was stupid.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Anybody who relies on the offense scoring 27+ points a game to win is asking a bit too much.

The offense doesn't have to score 27 points in every game to win. It needed to score only 11 against Cleveland and 18 against Green Bay. And it would have had to score only 24 points against Philadelphia if not for two turnovers that resulted in or directly led to touchdowns.

Occasionally, though, the offense does need to score at least 27 points to win.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2293785 said:

I honestly do not think that there were 12 men on the field. They should two shots of our entire defense and they all counted 11.

Not saying that it was anything important. I'm thinking the refs are just calling penalties as though there's a quota. Why wasn't there a flag on illegal procedure on the Skins? How bout that pass to TO where a flag might have been called? It looks to me like a good play. But if it were the Cowboys doing that, it would automatically be flagged.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2294835 said:
The offense doesn't have to score 27 points in every game to win. Occasionally, though, the offense does need to score at least 27 points to win.
That's how I see it. We scored 24 points, and that was being one dimensional.

The greatest offensive line in football didn't live up to its reputation. If it does, we win easily.

superpunk

Reaction score
Just the approach to the game is inexcusable, IMO. You can see a team isn't ready. You can also see when terrible decisions are made. We wanted to attack them through the air. Gave absolutely no consideration to the fact that they were bad against the run and we were a terrific rushing team.

Down 6, 11 minutes to go, and you call three straight pass plays?

There is no excusing calling a game like Garrett did. For the first time I feel like I want the DFW media to just tear into our coaching staff, because dangit they deserve it. Has nothing to do with scheme, or anything - it's just dumb playcalling and poor preparation.

And it doesn't stop at Garrett. That's why you have a head coach - so that when the wunderkind won't stop calling pass plays you get in his ear and say "Listen sonny - run the freaking ball already."

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage;2292856 said:
Who is our genius play caller who called for 47 passing attempts and 8 rushing attempts (well, 10, if we include Owens' "carries" and a whopping 11, if we include Romo)?

That would be Jerry's wonder boy.