My hot take

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are trading our 2020 first, and Simmons is the guy we are doing it for.

Obvious reasons being he is a Cowboy special being a potential top half of the first round caliber player that will drop due to injury. He also plays a key position in our defensive front.

You also have to follow the money here. The guy we drafted to be our 3 Tech, is an impending FA in 2020. Collins has been a decent player, but he hasnt really given us a reason to extend him to man that 3T spot. You have Crawford, but he is very expensive and they seem to prefer to use him as a swiss army knife.

I think they trade for Simmons, and while he is healing let Collins play for a bigb contract somewhere else

Sydla

Reaction score
I love the idea of Simmons. He's a Top 10 talent.

Since he's likely going to have to sit out for most, if not all, the 2019 season, I'd love it a lot more for 2019 if they brought in Suh or McCoy on a one year deal. Then they leave in 2020 and Simmons slides into the rotation.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If only there were a realistic way to make it happen. Maybe work out a deal with a team we have already spent hours with on the phone this offseason. One that is in tank mode and could use assets in 2020 to land their QB. Nah that would be stupid.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Ain’t no way homeboy.

Trading a 1st rounder for Cooper was out of sheer necessity; we had nothing at the position.

At the 3T we have guys (several of them) that can play the spot, not to mention cheaper potential options in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ain’t no way homeboy.

Trading a 1st rounder for Cooper was out of sheer necessity; we had nothing at the position.

At the 3T we have guys (several of them) that can play the spot, not to mention cheaper potential options in the draft.

Play the spot and play the spot really well are two different things though.

KDM256

Reaction score
Jeffery Simmons is good but he's not worth multiple picks which Dallas would have to give up to acquire this kid.

I can't stress enough how loaded this 2020 NFL draft class and to give away our 1st round pick would most certainly put us behind the 8 ball moving forward.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Play the spot and play the spot really well are two different things though.
This.

You have some decent guys there. But Marinelli's line scheme is built around interior pressure and we dont have a stud there. They thought Collins could he that guy, but while he is decent, he isn't a stud that is going collapse the pocket consistently.

I dont think there is alot they would make a move up for. There are enough Safeties that can do what they need to get one at 58. However, a top tier talent at an integral position is something I can see them moving up for.

3T probably wasnt seen as a major need the last couple years because they were hopeful with Irving and Collins. Irving didnt work out, and if Collins magically does this year, you have to pay him a ton next year. To me its not just need at a key position. Its following the money

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If only there were a realistic way to make it happen. Maybe work out a deal with a team we have already spent hours with on the phone this offseason. One that is in tank mode and could use assets in 2020 to land their QB. Nah that would be stupid.
Would be the most likely dance partner IMO. Unless they fall in love with a QB this year. Havent really followed the Dolphins draft much

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Do we really need to move to the first for Simmons? I realize Simmons injury wasn't as bad, but Jaylon Smith fell all the way to the second and he was a top 5 projected pick. I was thinking more along the lines of Simmons falling to that 35-40 range which wouldn't be nearly as costly to move up for. I may be wrong but I think he'll tumble a little.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Ain’t no way homeboy.

That’s like saying “Nah, we don’t need Aaron Donald because we have guys at the 3T.”

Simmons will be THAT GOOD.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That’s like saying “Nah, we don’t need Aaron Donald because we have guys at the 3T.”

Simmons will be THAT GOOD.

Sorry, are you really comparing Simmons to Donald?

I like Simmons but he ain’t Donald. You folks wanna mortgage the future for a guy that

1) won’t even play this year; and
2) has 7 career sacks and 33 TFL

*Donald had 29.5 sacks and 66 TFL (28.5 during his senior season alone).

If you say “nah, of course I’m not comparing the two players” then you only undermine your whole point.