My hot take

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Or we could just wait till he falls to the second like all the other temporarily broken players we took there, many of which I believe we could have even scooped up in the third..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We are trading our 2020 first, and Simmons is the guy we are doing it for.

Obvious reasons being he is a Cowboy special being a potential top half of the first round caliber player that will drop due to injury. He also plays a key position in our defensive front.

You also have to follow the money here. The guy we drafted to be our 3 Tech, is an impending FA in 2020. Collins has been a decent player, but he hasnt really given us a reason to extend him to man that 3T spot. You have Crawford, but he is very expensive and they seem to prefer to use him as a swiss army knife.

I think they trade for Simmons, and while he is healing let Collins play for a bigb contract somewhere else
I really, really hope not.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is zero chance of this happening.

It is way too hard to sell to a fan base.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I really, really hope not.
Why would you hope that? I don’t really see any DT’s coming out next year who are close to his ability. Nothing guarantees our 2020 1st round pick would be as ready to contribute as this kid is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Why would you hope that? I don’t really see any DT’s coming out next year who are close to his ability. Nothing guarantees our 2020 1st round pick would be as ready to contribute as this kid is.
He tore his ACL this year is why.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was touting Simmons this offseason before the college season even ended.

That said, he’s a good player, not a generational talent ala Aaron Donald.

I’m making a risky move like the one being proposed for a generational talent, not Simmons.

If he drops to #58...okay, there should be some serious consideration, but to trade a future #1 to move up and take a guy that won’t even contribute this year is too rich.

There will be guys that emerge next year that will be equally if not more talented than Simmons.

Beaker42

Reaction score
There will be guys that emerge next year that will be equally if not more talented than Simmons.

How can you say that with certainty - we need guys to help us now this season or start of next season. He’s the most physically-gifted DT to come out in a while.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
How can you say that with certainty - we need guys to help us now this season or start of next season. He’s the most physically-gifted DT to come out in a while.

Beaker, how do know with certainty Simmons is the type of difference maker worth spending a future 1st round pick on while receiving no contribution from the player (Simmons) immediately?

I’m not disparaging him, but not every good prospect is a generational talent. In regard to physically gifted...is he more gifted than Donald, Oliver or even Williams this year? I think the answer is clearly no.

If you’re going to do the proposed move (which I’m not suggesting), then I’d do it for Ed Oliver so that you’re at least getting a talent that can contribute this season.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Beaker, how do know with certainty Simmons is the type of difference maker worth spending a future 1st round pick on while receiving no contribution from the player (Simmons) immediately?

I’m not disparaging him, but not every good prospect is a generational talent. In regard to physically gifted...is he more gifted than Donald, Oliver or even Williams this year? I think the answer is clearly no.

If you’re going to do the proposed move (which I’m not suggesting), then I’d do it for Ed Oliver so that you’re at least getting a talent that can contribute this season.

I like Simmons every bit as much as Oliver and we wouldn’t have to give up as much to move up into his range. Is he Donald? No. Is he pretty freaking good? Yes.

Flamma

Reaction score

Consider this reasoning. Dallas doesn't have a 1st round pick this season. Picking Simmons, even if he falls to 58, means we don't have a 2nd pick this season since he won't be able to play. Trading up for him means we lose even more. You do realize why it is highly unlikely this happens, right?

Jaylon was a different story as Dallas didn't trade anything for him and they still had a 1st rounder.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just don't see them going 2 years without a #1 pick.

It might make sense since we are doling out all these extensions in the next year or so...and we plan on trying to keep everybody.

I like the Simmons kid...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Do we really need to move to the first for Simmons? I realize Simmons injury wasn't as bad, but Jaylon Smith fell all the way to the second and he was a top 5 projected pick. I was thinking more along the lines of Simmons falling to that 35-40 range which wouldn't be nearly as costly to move up for. I may be wrong but I think he'll tumble a little.
35-40 is the only way this type of trade works...maybe you could get to 32 or 33, but why would any team trade a top-15 pick for a 20-something next year and, on the flip side, why would Dallas do that for a guy who isn't going to play? lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If the Cowboys pick at #27 again next year, their 1st+2nd would be worth about pick #16.

Option A:
Simmons for #58 and 2020 1st

Option B:
16th pick in the 2020 draft for 2020 1st+2nd
They get contributions from pick #58 in 2019.

There is the question of whether 2019 would count towards free agency for Simmons. That's been debated about Jaylon and I'm still not 100% certain of the answer.

Yes, Simmons projects as better in 2020 than pick #16 in that draft but they get to have the player at #58 for 2019 if they don't trade for Simmons.

There is some risk that Simmons is not as good after the knee injury. It's not a huge risk with modern ACL surgery but it is a risk.

I don't think it's worth considering.

It's a better move for a rebuilding team that is not going to be good in 2019 anyway.