My mock v.1

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
ROUND2
Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina

Plays inside and outside, but literally destroyes defenses from the slot. He's a different type of talent that the Cowboys dont have.

ROUND3
Gerald Willis DT Miami

Very quick off the snap, can play either DT spot.

ROUND4
Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson

Very talented, kind of guy i could see Richards falling in love with.

ROUND4
Mike Bell S Fresno State

Solid tackler who makes plays. Needs to add a little size.

ROUND5
Devin Sills WR West Virginia

Best redzone WR in college football.

ROUND6
Brett Rypien QB Boise State

This wou;d make alot of sense lol

ROUND7
Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo

Very good tackler and makes plays, smart player.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I have Wilis as a 2nd round target...doubt he falls to the 3rd.

Love Deebo, just don’t see him getting a lot of balls in our O.

cristglo

Reaction score
ROUND2

Plays inside and outside, but literally destroyes defenses from the slot. He's a different type of talent that the Cowboys dont have.

ROUND3
Gerald Willis DT Miami

ROUND4

ROUND4
Mike Bell S Fresno State

ROUND5

ROUND6

ROUND7
Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo

If the draft fell like that i would be a happy camper thats for sure. Unfortunately Willis and Mullens will be long gone at those spots. We dont have a 6th but we have two 4ths so Im guessing we are taking Rypien in the 5th which Im still ok with.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
ROUND2

ROUND3
Gerald Willis DT Miami

ROUND4

ROUND4
Mike Bell S Fresno State

ROUND5

ROUND6

ROUND7
Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo

I’d be happy with that but I would’ve liked a tackle and rb out of the draft. Love 2, 3, and 7.

Sydla

Reaction score
So in two years we'd have used a #1, #2 and #3 pick on WRs?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't target 2 receivers in this draft or another late QB (unless mike has shown nothing). In rounds 5 or 6 target a RB, OL, DL and this is a good draft that fills alot of needs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So in two years we'd have used a #1, #2 and #3 pick on WRs?

Well... We are talent dependent and cant scheme guys open so we have to use resources there because scheme isn't going to help our WR's.

Sydla

Reaction score
We could end up losing 3 WR, so yes drafting a WR in the 2nd, is not out of the question.

I think it would be foolish to use our 2nd on a WR. Go out and bring in a vet to slot in as the #3 WR if we lose Beasley and Williams.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
I think it would be foolish to use our 2nd on a WR. Go out and bring in a vet to slot in as the #3 WR if we lose Beasley and Williams.

Add Hurns, he has not turned out the way we hoped, and was loudly complaining during the season.

so our WR corps, would comprimise of Cooper, Gallup (2nd year) Brown, Wilson ? & Devin Smith. Not much in the way of depth, or talent beyond the #2 WR.

Sydla

Reaction score
Add Hurns, he has not turned out the way we hoped, and was loudly complaining during the season.

so our WR corps, would comprimise of Cooper, Gallup (2nd year) Brown, Wilson ? & Devin Smith. Not much in the way of depth, or talent beyond the #2 WR.

Our WR corps would be Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson. I'd bring back Austin and maybe bring in another vet WR.

Counting on rookie WRs to fill out your depth chart at WR, let alone maybe being a #3 type WR is a real reach.

I'd look at a vet like John Brown, for example.

visionary

Reaction score

Agree
Adding a true #1 TE to our receiving corps is the better way to go

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
ROUND2

ROUND3
Gerald Willis DT Miami

ROUND4

ROUND4
Mike Bell S Fresno State

ROUND5

ROUND6

ROUND7
Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo

I would
Love this, what I hate is prolly drafting right beforeus!!!! They’ll do us like the did last year with Dallas and get Deebo! Agh

DanA

Reaction score
How is what we are doing at TE/WR any different to what we did at CB/S the last couple of years?

CB vs WR
Jones (pick 27) vs Cooper (pick 27)
Lewis (3rd) vs Gallup (3rd)
Brown (6th) vs Wilson (6th)
Awuzie (2nd) vs 2019 (2nd?)

S vs TE
Heath (bigger role) vs Jarwin (bigger role)
Woods (6th) vs Shultz (6th)
Frazier (6th) vs 2019 (6th?)

It’s a similar allocation of resources if we use a 2nd on a WR and 6th on a TE. It likely won’t be exactly what we do but I do think it’s in the ball park of reasonable and not a crazy idea at all.

I suppose in reality Cooper is a much more established no.1 than Byron Jones was so in that respect a 2nd might not be as necessary as it was in 2017 by the same token Brown is more established than Wilson whose been on IR and not played a snap. IMO there’s a parallels between what we did at CB/S and what we are doing at TE/WR.

I think there’s a reasonable chance we let everyone go and draft a WR + TE. How that falls depending a fair bit on the draft.

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
How is what we are doing at TE/WR any different to what we did at CB/S the last couple of years?

CB vs WR
Jones (pick 27) vs Cooper (pick 27)
Lewis (3rd) vs Gallup (3rd)
Brown (6th) vs Wilson (6th)
Awuzie (2nd) vs 2019 (2nd?)

S vs TE
Heath (bigger role) vs Jarwin (bigger role)
Woods (6th) vs Shultz (6th)
Frazier (6th) vs 2019 (6th?)

It’s a similar allocation of resources if we use a 2nd on a WR and 6th on a TE. It likely won’t be exactly what we do but I do think it’s in the ball park of reasonable and not a crazy idea at all.

I suppose in reality Cooper is a much more established no.1 than Byron Jones was so in that respect a 2nd might not be as necessary as it was in 2017 by the same token Brown is more established than Wilson whose been on IR and not played a snap. IMO there’s a parallels between what we did at CB/S and what we are doing at TE/WR.

I think there’s a reasonable chance we let everyone go and draft a WR + TE. How that falls depending a fair bit on the draft.

I believe Jones was a S at that point,’but get where you’re going.

My problem would be the allocation of resources to the lesser need. We saw down the stretch against playoff caliber teams, our run D got thrashed by the likes of the Colts and Rams.

We haven’t had a consistent player at DT or S in years, and I don’t feel good about anyone on the roster as a quality starter.

You improve the roster by upgrading the least talented positions, which IMO would be DT, S and TE. I get that you don’t draft solely on need, but I’d have to be blown away by value to take a WR over any of those.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Our WR corps would be Cooper, Gallup, Brown, Wilson. I'd bring back Austin and maybe bring in another vet WR.

Counting on rookie WRs to fill out your depth chart at WR, let alone maybe being a #3 type WR is a real reach.

I'd look at a vet like John Brown, for example.

So your depth would be a WR drafted in the 7th who has played a handful of snaps, and a 6th rounder who missed a season. Brown just played a season in Baltimore for $5m, I would guess he will be looking for a similar deal, do you think the front office is going to pay $5m+ for a player who will be the teams #3 WR?