CFZ My Observations From the Game

Pass2Run

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Commanders preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.

Brown looked solid at CB.

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

Way too many penalties.

Waletsko is out for the year. Ball was awful.

Fowler should be cut based off his unsportsmanlike at the goalline. Need to set an example

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’d keep Bland over Wright and/or Joseph.

Ball sucks (have fun with that one). Not good when the international development guy who is switching positions is light years better than you.

Rush is a dead man walking

DuncanIso

Reaction score
When are you people going to learn that when the Oline plays terrible, the whole offense follows suit. NOTHING to do with play calling or blaming the QB.

agree.

the blocking scheme was jacked up last season.

Carson

Reaction score
They like Rush.

he’s stable and knows the playbook.
I mean he did win the Minnesota game. But IMO if we play that game ten times against Minnesota we lose 9.

He doesn’t show any upside and is what he is. Josh Johnson looked like John Elway out there last night.

I guarantee you, our backup QB situation is likely the worst in the league … the same as swing tackle and kicker.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coverage is the hardest to learn
I'm holding comments on the offense until opening day, at least execution wise.
MMs presser made me vomit again this morning :facepalm:

Carson

Reaction score
Coverage is the hardest to learn
I'm holding comments on the offense until opening day, at least execution wise.
MMs presser made me vomit again this morning :facepalm:
Can’t get enough of the “we’re going to clean it up” and the “we have to be better!” Followed by “this is on me”

McCarthy is nothing but words. From when we signed him talking about the analytics and having an analytics team on staff. To the following year and his piss poor time management. Penalties will be the story of the year again

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I mean he did win the Minnesota game. But IMO if we play that game ten times against Minnesota we lose 9.

He doesn’t show any upside and is what he is. Josh Johnson looked like John Elway out there last night.

I guarantee you, our backup QB situation is likely the worst in the league … the same as swing tackle and kicker.

He totally sucks. Why is he on the team? Denucci? Why is he on the team?

Cmac

Reaction score
Depends. If your injured and you refuse to sit, then you are to blame. If you cant bounce it outside because you are too slow, you are to blame.
got it......despite a missed assigmnent by an OL, a blown into the backfield OL, or a pure poor effort by an OL.

treykin32

Reaction score

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Way too many penalties.

I noticed Sam Williams right on the qb as the ball was being released a few times on quick pass plays. I think he will be ok with more coaching & playing time.

Cmac

Reaction score

Josh "Have team, will travel" Johnson looked like a starting QB last night or a chef with ginsu knife......sllicing & dicing in comparison to Cooper Rush. We in trouble regarding backup QB. I think Cooper Rush is in the "Cowboy OC training school."