CFZ My Observations From the Game

blueblood70

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Seriously
how can you tell unless Greir actually plauys in game not practice,.you don't they all need to compete. BTW none of them can lead us to enough wins if daks go down for the season so who cares really?

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.
agreed for one PS game they looked solid.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Gallimore
was already a good player and pays consistently good to great WHEN Healthy, Big Bo well its PS game so hope he has improved but time will tell.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

Maybe again its PS....one game , weve seen this before camp standouts that end up o the PS..or cut. last eyar it was
Kamara..remember him LOL

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.
Most likely was not on the bubble anyway, good rotational guy.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.
Agree was never worried on how we make up for RGs 6 career sack numbers lol

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I actually liked them all Dowdle been steady every camp and looked good on ST when healthy.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.

Brown looked solid at CB.

Not a surprise been solid, thats what he is , nothing special not as bad as fans claim, hes our starter at 2 for now.

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.

see replies in quotes

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Josh "Have team, will travel" Johnson looked like a starting QB last night or a chef with ginsu knife......sllicing & dicing in comparison to Cooper Rush. We in trouble regarding backup QB. I think Cooper Rush is in the "Cowboy OC training school."

I won’t say we’re in trouble at backup QB till I see Grier in live action. Seems he’s comfortable with the system, is making good quick decisions with the ball and his mobility may be needed with this offensive line.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He seems so limited to me that I can't understand why he was drafted or viewed as a legit option going forward. All I have ever seen him do well is short yardage where he can use his size.
He was drafted for a Seattle based cover 1/3 scheme.
If we are playing base cover 2 or some such he will look awful.
Certainly, fair to say he was over-drafted but Seattle had similar guys make Pro Bowls in that scheme.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In a preseason game, dude? Come on. Y'all are on autopilot. I know none of y'all want to remember but the SF game had a former Dallas Cowboy reffing the game. By your logic we actually had more than 14 penalties against SF because he hid a few for us. Lol.
If you didn't feel the refs in that game were trash then I am not sure what to tell you.

"We've practiced it," Prescott said. "You hand it to the center. The umpire, all he has to do is usually come in and tap the ball. Don't necessarily know exactly ... why the hit (with the official) happened, I guess. Yeah, I know he's going to come in and touch the ball. We could say, 'Yeah, he needs to be closer to the ball,' or whatever, but in hindsight, it's just tough. Just tough to accept."

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Moore continues to underwhelm.

Not his fault honestly. He went from player to oc too quick. The really good ones spent years learning how to teach mostly cause they sucked as players. And he doesn't appear to get much help from Mccarthy or the other veteran coaches on his staff.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He was drafted for a Seattle based cover 1/3 scheme.
If we are playing base cover 2 or some such he will look awful.
Certainly, fair to say he was over-drafted but Seattle had similar guys make Pro Bowls in that scheme.

I get all that .... but IMO the thing that gets overlooked is you need the entire secondary to be built a certain way for that to work. klj

Offenses have so much talent now that it seems to me the best option is to get as many cover corners as you can get. Guys who can mirror and maintain coverage one on one as much as possible.

When you put a guy on the field as a primary defender who just doesn't seem to have the movement to mirror, teams are just going to exploit it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If you didn't feel the refs in that game were trash then I am not sure what to tell you.

"We've practiced it," Prescott said. "You hand it to the center. The umpire, all he has to do is usually come in and tap the ball. Don't necessarily know exactly ... why the hit (with the official) happened, I guess. Yeah, I know he's going to come in and touch the ball. We could say, 'Yeah, he needs to be closer to the ball,' or whatever, but in hindsight, it's just tough. Just tough to accept."

You're conveniently all too willing to believe someone engaged in CYA. Check out the video below plus these still shots I pulled from there. Dak hands the ball to the center and then everyone just tries to line up and snap the ball. No one even looks for the ref who "has" to spot the ball. That's what Romo was saying on the broadcast. It's much better to give the ball to him and let him spot it. They clearly didn't know that in the heat of the moment. Turns out, they spotted their own ball a full yard beyond the actual spot. Pic 1 shows the side judge who marks the line of scrimmage right at the 25. Again, no one looks for the ref to spot the ball and he has to fight through the line to get there. He looks to the side judge and knows he has to move the ball back but just resets it to give Dallas a shot at spiking the ball in time. He moves them back like he's supposed to and the game is over anyway. Pic 2 (and the video) shows the side judge hop forward to just give Dallas the extra yard. In fact, both sideline refs have moved forward.

I'm no rocket scientist, but if you're going to try to spot your own ball to make the ref's touching of the ball as efficient as possible, you look to the side judge and spot the ball where he says it should be and not more forward. THAT is what they should practice. Am I right?

DalSF1.jpg

DalSF2.jpg

CoachD

Reaction score
Your post will soon be merged to post game reactions trust me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You're conveniently all too willing to believe someone engaged in CYA. Check out the video below plus these still shots I pulled from there. Dak hands the ball to the center and then everyone just tries to line up and snap the ball. No one even looks for the ref who "has" to spot the ball. That's what Romo was saying on the broadcast. It's much better to give the ball to him and let him spot it. They clearly didn't know that in the heat of the moment. Turns out, they spotted their own ball a full yard beyond the actual spot. Pic 1 shows the side judge who marks the line of scrimmage right at the 25. Again, no one looks for the ref to spot the ball and he has to fight through the line to get there. He looks to the side judge and knows he has to move the ball back but just resets it to give Dallas a shot at spiking the ball in time. He moves them back like he's supposed to and the game is over anyway. Pic 2 (and the video) shows the side judge hop forward to just give Dallas the extra yard. In fact, both sideline refs have moved forward.

I'm no rocket scientist, but if you're going to try to spot your own ball to make the ref's touching of the ball as efficient as possible, you look to the side judge and spot the ball where he says it should be and not more forward. THAT is what they should practice. Am I right?

DalSF1.jpg

DalSF2.jpg

rofl you wasted time and effort on nonsense.
Every team tries to steal a yard on those ball placements.
On one hand you say the ref has to fight through traffic and another you want Dak to also stand there as part of that traffic.
Every Cowboys fans saw what happened and felt hard done by the crew.
Those are simply facts.
The NFL has been built to favor offense and last-minute comebacks... then there is this.
But at least you can get a couple troll likes for this nonsense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Peyton Manning, Bill Polian rip NFL's new umpire alignment - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Whether Manning is correct about that particular game or not, he’s definitely correct that there’s a significant unintended consequence of the league’s decision to move the umpires. Even NFL VP of officiating Carl Johnson admits that.

“The way the new mechanic of the umpire positioning is, I don’t have a resolution to that,” Johnson told King. “It’s going to take a couple extra seconds to spot the ball. There’s no way around that.”

This is a rule change that has the potential to be a nightmare for no-huddle offenses.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I get all that .... but IMO the thing that gets overlooked is you need the entire secondary to be built a certain way for that to work. klj

Offenses have so much talent now that it seems to me the best option is to get as many cover corners as you can get. Guys who can mirror and maintain coverage one on one as much as possible.

When you put a guy on the field as a primary defender who just doesn't seem to have the movement to mirror, teams are just going to exploit it.
I absolutely think when they drafted Wright they felt they'd use a lot more Cover1/3 that Quinn ran traditionally but then he adjusted to more be more multiple with 3 safeties on the field.
Offenses certainly can pick him on if they want to line up in a cover 2.
Wright has NFL ability, but he certainly is scheme dependent.
He may need to develop into more of a Jayron Kearse role as he gains weight.

He's almost certainly not contributing this year in either case.
At the same time fans need to stop watching pre-season altogether because they just lack the understanding to process what they see versus reality.

Dallas offers zero game-planning and play pre-season very vanilla intentionally.
Dallas went 0-4 last pre-season then went 6-1 in their first 7 actual football games.

CCBoy

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.

Brown looked solid at CB.

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.
Jerry has built a quality and expensive opera house...but their NFL business shouldn't be making their fans wait on a real fat lady to sing!

MarcusRock

Reaction score
rofl you wasted time and effort on nonsense.
Every team tries to steal a yard on those ball placements.
On one hand you say the ref has to fight through traffic and another you want Dak to also stand there as part of that traffic.
Every Cowboys fans saw what happened and felt hard done by the crew.
Those are simply facts.
The NFL has been built to favor offense and last-minute comebacks... then there is this.
But at least you can get a couple troll likes for this nonsense.

If by "nonsense" you mean you clearly can't refute then video, then yes.

So if a team tries to steal a yard for a FG try, it's okay? Yeah, that works. It's clear from the video that whatever "practice" they engaged in went out the window in the heat of battle. It happens. Your "facts" are just feelings you really, really wanted to happen but didn't. The video shows what the facts are. Refusing to accept them are your responsibility. And trust me, time and effort to expose yet another CONSPIRACY! loon is never time wasted. Lol.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If Grier plays well how is Rush making this team? He was awful. Nooch is still a bit of a project and played well. Have to keep him. I can’t understand the Rush thing.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If by "nonsense" you mean you clearly can't refute then video, then yes.

So if a team tries to steal a yard for a FG try, it's okay? Yeah, that works. It's clear from the video that whatever "practice" they engaged in went out the window in the heat of battle. It happens. Your "facts" are just feelings you really, really wanted to happen but didn't. The video shows what the facts are. Refusing to accept them are your responsibility. And trust me, time and effort to expose yet another CONSPIRACY! loon is never time wasted. Lol.
You are posting sheer goofball stuff.
I posted how something "felt" to Cowboys fans and somehow you thought that was up for debate.

On ignore you go, big goofy.

basel90

Reaction score
At the end of the day an NFL coach has to instill discipline and make sure his staff coaches the players fundamentals accordingly.
So far entering year 3 of the MM regime , there are no signs MM has that type of coaching style. The penalties persist from last year , and his excuse that these are not starters is a clumsy attempt to deflect blame.
If there is no turnaround , this team is looking at an 8-9 or 9-8 season nothing to mention in the playoff. Quinn may be next but i doubt that would excite the fans and give Jerry any plausible excuse for the 27+ year SB or CCG absence/

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You are posting sheer goofball stuff.
I posted how something "felt" to Cowboys fans and somehow you thought that was up for debate.

On ignore you go, big goofy.

No you posted how the CONSPIRACY! echo chamber "felt," which is literally how they feel every single call that goes against the team because "they do us dirty" as the story goes. But when confronted with the evidence they do what you do and just repeat the same victim stance instead of discussing the play in question. Probably because the video just showed they can't.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
So, after rewatching the game. I want to make a couple of corrections.

First, Ball was starting at LT, not Waletzko. Silly me. I just assumed because the graphic flashed at the beginning said Waletzko.

He played well his first two series, the got beat on three plays after that, from what I can tell. I was apparently watching other aspects of the offense. Anyway, FWIW, Ball did have some decent play mixed in with some bad.

Also, Malik Davis is also a runner. His 14/15 yard run was great. I still like Shampklin, but I see that Davis is also good.

I was a bit too harsh on DiNucci. He only got a few reps, but they showed he clearly is better than Rush though.

Also, when I said Brown was solid at CB, I meant to say Jourdan Lewis, not Brown.

Also, Wright wasn't that bad. Like someone else said in another thread, I think they keep him because of where he was drafted.

Also, Storey Jackson was even better than I first thought.