CFZ My Observations From the Game

FanofJerry

Reaction score
When are you people going to learn that when the Oline plays terrible, the whole offense follows suit. NOTHING to do with play calling or blaming the QB.

Man...on that Rush INT...how can every fan watching not immediately say to themselves "that was an awful play call and an awful throw"?

My opinion...the 1 or 2 yard outroute pass plays to the sideline are the most infuriating part of watching NFL these days. Dont hate me...I am not an x and o's guy at all...I also know that this is a Multi-Billion dollar sport with coaches being paid millions to game plan and WIN games...I assume some on here with more intimate knowledge of the NFL game will argue that those are smart plays and you are taking what is being given to you by the defense based on some risk measurement.

But...I see these plays being complained about all over chats and boards. I couldnt tell you how many times I scream at the television when its 3rd down and 4 yards to go...and a TE or WR runs 4 yards deep, makes his cut outside and then runs 2 yards towards the line of scrimmage on his way towards the sideline....only to end up catching the ball and not making the first down. Its rage inducing. Witten was the KING of this play.

VERY VERY HOT TAKE HERE...might as well provide a solution instead of just griping.

For all the minor changes a league does to make the game more enjoyable to the fans(such as making the league pass-offense friendly so points are scored)...I think the game would be a lot better if they implemented a penalty on 3rd down plays where the WR touches the ball before the first down marker. This could be done without making the rule confusing...screen plays could still be used, a QB being hurried out of the pocket and needing to throw the ball to avoid a sack would still be allowed. Basically the rule would target the frustrating outroute that in most cases wastes a down(or you turn the ball over from an INT).

conner01

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.

Brown looked solid at CB.

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.
Grier is injured

conner01

Reaction score
Man...on that Rush INT...how can every fan watching not immediately say to themselves "that was an awful play call and an awful throw"?

My opinion...the 1 or 2 yard outroute pass plays to the sideline are the most infuriating part of watching NFL these days. Dont hate me...I am not an x and o's guy at all...I also know that this is a Multi-Billion dollar sport with coaches being paid millions to game plan and WIN games...I assume some on here with more intimate knowledge of the NFL game will argue that those are smart plays and you are taking what is being given to you by the defense based on some risk measurement.

But...I see these plays being complained about all over chats and boards. I couldnt tell you how many times I scream at the television when its 3rd down and 4 yards to go...and a TE or WR runs 4 yards deep, makes his cut outside and then runs 2 yards towards the line of scrimmage on his way towards the sideline....only to end up catching the ball and not making the first down. Its rage inducing. Witten was the KING of this play.

VERY VERY HOT TAKE HERE...might as well provide a solution instead of just griping.

For all the minor changes a league does to make the game more enjoyable to the fans(such as making the league pass-offense friendly so points are scored)...I think the game would be a lot better if they implemented a penalty on 3rd down plays where the WR touches the ball before the first down marker. This could be done without making the rule confusing...screen plays could still be used, a QB being hurried out of the pocket and needing to throw the ball to avoid a sack would still be allowed. Basically the rule would target the frustrating outroute that in most cases wastes a down(or you turn the ball over from an INT).
It was an awful play call and the alignment was dumb
Why not give the D a run to think about in short yardage plays? Splitting the back out was just dumb
It’s a quick hitting play but why tell them you are passing

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wasn’t impressed with Sam Williams or Jalen Tolbert. Tyler Smith showed potential but had a couple of holding calls. It was a penalty fest like what we saw last season. Overall the team looked like garbage. There’s a lot to be concerned about heading into the season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

THAT PLAY is a perfect example of a guy like you not understanding what you are seeing.

First.............yes it was dumb to go for it. That is a MM special. Creates momentum for the other team at the wrong time. Game broke open right after that play.

2nd...........Rush got pressure almost immediately right in his face. His ONLY option was to go down or just try to throw it out there early. Either way, the other team was getting the ball right there. That play had ZERO chance and it was because of the blocking. Nothing to do with Rush and NOTHING to do with the actual play call.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
You got the homers that cant handle criticism and you have the haters that talk negative about everything. THAT is what creates all the animosity on here. If people could talk realistically then there would be less problems.
You’re never realistic when it comes to Elliott. You seem to have a supernatural dislike for him and it clouds your judgement.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Grier is injured

I hope it's possible that he was held out as a wise precaution.

According to reports, he sustained a "groin tweak."

Hopefully, he'll recover reasonably soon.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THAT PLAY is a perfect example of a guy like you not understanding what you are seeing.

First.............yes it was dumb to go for it. That is a MM special. Creates momentum for the other team at the wrong time. Game broke open right after that play.

2nd...........Rush got pressure almost immediately right in his face. His ONLY option was to go down or just try to throw it out there early. Either way, the other team was getting the ball right there. That play had ZERO chance and it was because of the blocking. Nothing to do with Rush and NOTHING to do with the actual play call.
And the poison insults continue. Because he sees things different that you.

"you don't understand what you are seeing". "perfect example".

a perfect example of you being the jack ax poison in our fan community.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re never realistic when it comes to Elliott. You seem to have a supernatural dislike for him and it clouds your judgement.

I can go a little overboard, but sadly, most of what I have said has come to pass and is true. Every stat I put up is real. And after 3 years of bashing Zeke, almost every poster on here finally agrees with me that Pollard needs to play a lot more. Heck even the NFL landscape writes article after article about Pollard and Zeke agreeing with me.

You guys were telling me I was crazy 3 years ago. After two stinker years by Zeke and Pollard shining, how can you argue otherwise? NO ONE thinks Zeke is a top 5 or even a top 10 back anymore other then a few Zeke homers on here. Most pundits agree he is not. Im at 20.

YOu call that overboard, thats how I feel. Given the carries and offense, 20 other backs could do better than Zeke.

DanA

Reaction score
For me:

• The only place we have good depth is D-line, everywhere else kind of sucks.
  • I felt like we got some fantastic push in the run game with the interior O-line players.
  • RB’s disappointed even if the did get 5 ypc. I felt they left “meat on the bone”.
  • Jake Ferguson flashes as someone to watch with a bit of potential. Hendersot okay too. In fact all the TE’s were decent, it might just be noodle arm Rush can hit that throw but I’m hopeful we have a decent tight-end room.
  • Not impressed with any WR, not sure if it was just Rush but I don’t think Tolbert is the guy week 1.
  • Bland was probably the best of the backup CB’s and might be CB4. Wright still needs some work but does ST work. Joseph was better than Wright but that penalty on the field goal…How can you trust a guy when he does dumb ***** stuff like that.
  • Gallimore looked the best of the DT’s. Bohanna was okay too, together they looked a big improvement on last year as a run stuffing duo.
  • I don’t know who our LB’s were but I didn’t notice them make a play all night. Barr, LVE, Parsons, and Cox can only step it up from what we saw.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.
Grier has a groin injury.
Time to move on from Rush if Grier has anything.
DiNucci has upside with a better arm than Rush and top notch athleticism.
Romo didn't start until his 4th season.

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.
Agree.
I expect a significant amount of 2 TE sets this season.
I noticed McKeon with some good blocks.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.
Bohanna's weight: It depends on when. In college he was about 360. Dropped to 327 for the draft. Reportedly dropped a little more since with the Cowboys.
Interesting that Gallimore played significant snaps but Odighi didn't play.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.
Doran Bland: Good reports in camp from the media. Also, Jourdan Lewis had high praise for him.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.
You mean Josh Ball? Waletzko (#71) is out injured.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.
Basham flashed good plays last season. OK as a 4th DE.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.
Fowler is a legit NFL pass rusher when healthy.
He had 11.5 sacks in 2019 but had injury issues in 2020 & 2021.
His issues in the past have been run defense, but he made some plays vs the run last night.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.
Aaron Shampklin is interesting. Not big, but good timed speed & 37-1/2" vert.
Malik Davis is also interesting.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.
I don't think you'll see Barno with that type of Bullrush.
SW had some good edge rushes. He was pushed just slightly wide/deep past the QB, but the speed/quickness was obvious.
SW also played some snaps inside.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.
Bell looked good.
I thought #36 & #39 were CBs but I kept seeing one or both deep and coming up as help defenders.

Brown looked solid at CB.
Kyron (#26) ?

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.
I saw #47 flash a couple of times but didn't focus on him.
#45 Malik Jefferson looked decent.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.
Your boy for the score! Would like to see more targets for him in the next game.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.
Hard to say due to the QB. Rush does not have the arm to throw those out routes. The ball can't hang in the air on those.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.
He did 'bench' Fowler after the dumb person foul.
Tyler taking a defender to the ground should be an easy fix for NFL coaches.
If not, then there is a coaching problem.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.

FanofJerry

Reaction score

I am sure of it that I dont know what I am seeing lol.

My main point is that hopefully NFL gets rid of those passes. Everyone hates them. Yes...I get that football is a great sport with some serious strategy involved and that you have to have plays available to if you sense a pass rush or the QB needs to get rid of the ball quickly...those plays are just f-ing frustrating to watch play out. Again...personally...I think on 3rd downs a receiver should not be allowed to touch the ball unless hes pass the first down marker. ONLY IF THE TO-GO YARDAGE IS 5 YARDS OR LESS.

Not trying to change your opinion...but tell me the Jason Witten plays didnt have you yanking at your hair? 3rd and 4 yards to go and the team runs a 2 yard out. Its maddening, dude.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Nashawn Wright: They won't let him play certain schemes. He can't play 10 yards off ball with no help up top but he is a good jam at line type and he can play deeper off ball. Pure cover1/3 guy. Poor mans Richard Sherman. Maybe almost broke.

He seems so limited to me that I can't understand why he was drafted or viewed as a legit option going forward. All I have ever seen him do well is short yardage where he can use his size.

Cmac

Reaction score
NO blocking is important. Especially when your a slow and limited back like Zeke. You depend completely on blocking as your not making anyone miss and your not a playmaker.

Thats why you dont draft backs high and you dont pay backs big money.
It would be much easier to simply say you don't like Zeke (due to $$) because the OL theory about a RB's speed makes no logical football sense unless we asking all RBs to have world class speed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It would be much easier to simply say you don't like Zeke (due to $$) because the OL theory about a RB's speed makes no logical football sense unless we asking all RBs to have world class speed.

The money part is just the kicker at the end.

So you think Zeke has speed? Does he have moves? Is he good at breaking tackles? Making people miss?

OL theory about a RB's speed? What are you talking about? Are you telling me what you think my theory is?

Cmac

Reaction score
The money part is just the kicker at the end.

So you think Zeke has speed? Does he have moves? Is he good at breaking tackles? Making people miss?

OL theory about a RB's speed? What are you talking about? Are you telling me what you think my theory is?
I'm saying you probably never took into account any of the aforementioned during the rookie contract and all RBs don't have world class speed (if we're going there) or known as speed merchants, but Stevie Wonder can see when an OL whiffs or simply gets beat immediately on an intended block, including TEs and you got a DL in the backfield almost at the handoff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm saying you probably never took into account any of the aforementioned during the rookie contract and all RBs don't have world class speed (if we're going there) or known as speed merchants, but Stevie Wonder can see when an OL whiffs or simply gets beat immediately on an intended block, including TEs and you got a DL in the backfield almost at the handoff.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the world class speed. You must be talking about another poster.