My Offseason Plan - Free Agency

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A Dez endorsement doesn't carry any weight. You think the other 52 players feel the same way? I don't.

Nobody can say one way or another unless they speak publicly. And the only players who have done that have had good things to say.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the response. And as a poster I respect, I'm curious to hear more on your thoughts and what you would do or wouldn't do, differently?

I'll add here. I would focus upon defensive tackle and cornerback in the draft's top four picks.

Then leave running back and linebacker for next draft...or shoot a little lower this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll add here. I would focus upon defensive tackle and cornerback in the draft's top four picks.

Do you mean the Cowboys' first four picks? Or the #4 pick overall?

Then leave running back and linebacker for next draft...or shoot a little lower this year.

I will admit that I don't see linebacker as the huge need that others do. But what I do see is a need to get bigger and more diverse there. If they let Rolando McClain go, I think they need to bring in some size. In my opinion, they've drafted and signed too many weak side linebacker types and not enough strong or middle backer types.

But I certainly am not using #4 overall on a linebacker this year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Do you mean the Cowboys' first four picks? Or the #4 pick overall?

I will admit that I don't see linebacker as the huge need that others do. But what I do see is a need to get bigger and more diverse there. If they let Rolando McClain go, I think they need to bring in some size. In my opinion, they've drafted and signed too many weak side linebacker types and not enough strong or middle backer types.

But I certainly am not using #4 overall on a linebacker this year.

My comment was on a projected first four picks...and not discounting a possible trade down in the first round. Depends on who fits the slot at #4.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My comment was on a projected first four picks...and not discounting a possible trade down in the first round. Depends on who fits the slot at #4.

Oh, OK. Then I'd say I'm in agreement. I'll be working on part 2 of my plan dealing with the draft and - sneak preview - I'll be including selections at both cornerback and defensive tackle. They're definitely two positions that are lacking in quality.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
With that miserable season behind us, it's time to look ahead toward the future!

And I know many of us already looking towards the draft and free agency, I know I am! So I thought that I would share my thoughts on what I would do if I were running the show. Rather than put it all in one thread, I'll break it down into two so it's easier to read and discuss.

Feel free to add your own plan or to critique what I'm presenting here. This is essentially just a conversation starter anyway.

Despite the ability to go crazy with restructures, free agency, and the draft, I would play things somewhat conservatively, making only a few choice moves.

1) I would attempt to re-sign Greg Hardy.

I know that's a controversial and less than popular move for some, but I still think that he's a very good player that this team really needs. What I don't want to do is to let him go and create another weakness that needs to be filled. While Lawrence is good and Gregory might be, there are no guarantees and you need better production. And putting those two on the field at the same time leaves you at a distinct size disadvantage as well. The Cowboys have already taken the hit for Hardy's past issues, so I would keep him at a reasonable price, I'd guess in the $7 - $8 million range with safeguards/incentives built in.

2) Release Barry Church and sign Eric Weddle in free agency.

Cutting Church saves nearly $3 million in cap space, which can then be used towards signing Weddle, who I anticipate in the $5 - $6 million per year range. Weddle has been among the league's best safeties for the past 5 years and I think he would provide stability to the secondary and a great veteran presence. I think he would also be an excellent mentor to Byron Jones. I think he's got another two seasons left at least.

3) Sign Lamar Miller at running back. While Darren McFadden had a very good year, I still think that this team can improve the position here. Other than McFadden, the running back position was a revolving door of disappointment and injury, and more talent is needed. Miller is just 24-years old, with a lot of tread left on his tires, and looks to still be an ascending player. Why the Dolphins under-utilized him was criminal, but their loss is our gain. He could be this team's back now, and for the future as well. I believe his contract would be for roughly $5 million per season.

4) Sign Rishard Matthews to be this team's 2nd or 3rd receiver. Another former Dolphin? I think so. For all of the flack Jeff Ireland gets - and rightly so - his 2012 draft in Miami looks like a fantastic haul at this point in time. Matthews was a 7th round steal, with good size, great speed, and good hands. He really put it together and was having an excellent 2015 prior to injury. To my eyes, he looks like another ascending player just hitting his stride at just the right time. Given the draft investments the Dolphins have made, and their gap,situation, I see Matthews hitting the market and I would pounce on him. I don't see the Cowboys re-signing the inconsistent Terrance Williams, and Matthews could be a nice deep threat compliment to Dez Bryant for the next several years. I'd estimate between $4 - $5 million per year.

5) Sign Colt McCoy as our veteran backup. It was painfully obvious that Tony Romo's injury, coupled with the lack of a capable backup quarterback, was the biggest contributor to the 'Great train wreck of 2015'. I sure don't want to see a repeat of that this year. Despite all of the talk about RG3 or Johnny Manziel, I don't want to roll the dice on the coming season by counting on either one of those boom or bust options. Give me a reliable, dependable player who will simply do his job. McCoy doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but he's shown he can capably get the job done. And he looks yo have come into his own as a pro in Washington. Prior to this season, he was in close competition with Kirk Cousins to be the starter, and given the great season Cousins had, I'll gladly take the guy who came in a close second. Take a look at what McCoy did during the preseason and see what you think. He made $1.5 million in Washington, so I'd expect a similar deal, possibly $2 million per year, would be enough. Especially when you can offer a return to Texas!

Add it up and it's roughly $24 per season average in total expenditures per season. In my opinion, it fills some big needs while not breaking the bank salary wise, and sets the team up to do some nice work come draft time.

Again, let me know what you guys think and what you would do if you were calling the shots.

On board with Miller...if they don't draft Zeke he is who I would like to see wear the star.