My one and only complaint about Garrett

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I'm 100% behind Jason Garrett being the Cowboys head coach. He's brought a "Pound the rock" philosophy to the team that is starting to pay dividends. He's learned from his first year and has gotten better and better. Lets his coaches coach and relinquished the play calling duties. He runs a physical build from the trenches attitude all of which is how you win football games. My only wish is that he not be so conservative. It was successful against the Commanders last year and lead to the route on Dec. 28th. He needs to do a bit more of that, onside kicks, fake punts going for it more on 4th down. Jimmy Johnson used that with great success during his tenure. It was a difference maker in several games. The fact that he showed a little last year gives me hope that he's getting comfortable enough that we might start seeing a little more of that. It fits perfectly with being a physical, stop us if you can type of team.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I'm 100% behind Jason Garrett being the Cowboys head coach. He's brought a "Pound the rock" philosophy to the team that is starting to pay dividends. He's learned from his first year and has gotten better and better. Lets his coaches coach and relinquished the play calling duties. He runs a physical build from the trenches attitude all of which is how you win football games. My only wish is that he not be so conservative. It was successful against the Commanders last year and lead to the route on Dec. 28th. He needs to do a bit more of that, onside kicks, fake punts going for it more on 4th down. Jimmy Johnson used that with great success during his tenure. It was a difference maker in several games. The fact that he showed a little last year gives me hope that he's getting comfortable enough that we might start seeing a little more of that. It fits perfectly with being a physical, stop us if you can type of team.

That used to be one of my complaints, too, but I came to the conclusion late last year that he played conservative because he didn't feel he had the guns to recover if they were unsuccessful. Later in the year, however, I began getting the feeling he was more confident in the team as a whole and was willing to open it up a little more. That said, I don't think JG will ever be much of a risk taker, but will take a few more chances than earlier in his tenure.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That used to be one of my complaints, too, but I came to the conclusion late last year that he played conservative because he didn't feel he had the guns to recover if they were unsuccessful. Later in the year, however, I began getting the feeling he was more confident in the team as a whole and was willing to open it up a little more. That said, I don't think JG will ever be much of a risk taker, but will take a few more chances than earlier in his tenure.

I think you're right about him never being a big risk taker. A few more attempts a year would satisfy me.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think you're right about him never being a big risk taker. A few more attempts a year would satisfy me.

Yea, I feel the same way. At least throw us risk takers a bone now and then... I don't think we'll be seeing any flea flickers any time soon, but a little surprise of some kind every now and then would be fun.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't know about all that gadget stuff. 12-4 is pretty darn good. Tom had a knack for knowing just when to call a gimmick plan. Not sure Garrett does.

Yeah, I'm not for a bunch of gadget plays, just unexpected onside kicks and fake punts. It would be cool to see Dez on some type of flea flicker. Apparently he has a strong arm.

CCBoy

Reaction score

And the Dez Bryant rule happened because 'ol Jason wouldn't gamble on a win it or lose it all single play.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The one thing i want to see from Red is for him to flat out get on an official's *** when we are getting stupid calls against us...

I want to see him go Ditka ..That would be awesome....other than that...he is doing ok .

He seems more comfortable with getting after refs nowadays. I didn't buy the "growing into the job" thing but dangit Ol' Jerrah was right.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I think he will take a few more chances once he is confident the Defense can back him up.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
I don't care so much about the fake punts or onside kicks, but man I wish he would go for it a lot more on 4th down. He was the most conservative coach in the league in those situations the last few years. At the end of the season and in the playoffs he started being a bit more aggressive and it really paid off. I hope he learned from it. Speaking of getting paid off, maybe his new contract will help him be a little less risk-averse, too.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those of us who wish Garrett could become a more daring coach would surely be thrilled to see it happen.

But in time, the stronger this team becomes, the more he would become prone to making bolder decisions.

Danger

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not for a bunch of gadget plays, just unexpected onside kicks and fake punts. It would be cool to see Dez on some type of flea flicker. Apparently he has a strong arm.

You should see Dez in warmups. He can easily chuck it 70 yards

foofighters

Reaction score
Wait...JG brought the pound the rock mentality to this team? Did I dream about a pass happy offense when he was the OC? Did I dream that Jerry was taking away his play calling? Listen, I couldn't stand him. I wanted him gone. What I found is that he is far better leader than playcaller. I am happy with JG as long as he continues to let his coaches coach the minute details. Let them playcall and step in during the big moments to make sure everyone is one the same page. Manage but don't micromanage.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That has been the biggest problem right there. You have to know that if you take chances, your defense can cover your bets, not just physically but mentally as well, and in the worst case scenario, your offense can make up for it later too. With a young team or one with holes you are trying to patch or hide, you don't want to expose them to unnecessary pressure unless there is a high probability of success or you have no choice.

As the team develops, the holes get filled, confidence grows, etc., then you can start taking more chances and I think that's what happened last year with Garrett. I don't want him to get careless (and most fans who want him to take more chances will be the first to blame him for a stupid decision when it doesn't work), I do hope he does it a little more this season for no other reason than to make the other team have to defend against the possibility.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He was going to make bad decisions.
He was going to be outcoached.

I understood that.
I accepted that.

My only complaint really was not running the ball.
Last year. He ran.

I'm good.... Until he doesn't (run).