My Opinion on Terence Newman's Comments

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2487391 said:
Who the heck is Newman to call out Phillips or Garrett? He doesn't have enough skins to do that. Sure he is darn good player, sure loved him till now. He doesn't play offense.

Newman, should worry about his job and do it good. There is no question, Newman's Third down, job screwup, was the main reason, that got Pitt going. So Phillips said that. Phillips never called him out. He just said, that third down should not happened.

Bill Parcells used to do that numerous times. But Newman didn't have the guts to say anything then. But now, with TO, talking to Deion, and Jerry/Phillips supporting TO, they created a monster. So, its mainly Jerry/Phillips fault.

And finally, Newman shut keep his trap shut about Tony Romo. I am not a big fan of Romo, but without Romo, this team is nowhere. This is rediculous, to even think, TNew should be trying to set Offense right or calling out Offensive coaches, if thats what he did.

Remember, Newman didn't name coaches. I just have my opinion about who he was talking about. I'm making a conjecture based on some of the offense's sloppy play this season. I think he was talking about Wade Phillips holding some of the players and coaches accountable for their play and duties.

When Phillips mentioned "that third down" after the game, he was singling out a defensive player for one mistake, a mistake that turned into a goalline stand. Terence Newman helped Phillips win the second Commanders game on defense. He didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus in the media by the head coach. That is disrespectful, and Newman didn't deserve it. If Phillips is going to highlight that play, then, he needs to call out the multiple plays on offense and special teams, all of them.

Phillips didn't call out Tony Romo's three picks and fumble, he didn't call out Jason Witten going MIA at the end of that game, he didn't call out the special teams who gave up two huge plays, he didn't call out his offense who couldn't convert a 4th and inches, a 4th and 2, had the ball on their own 40 and did nothing, couldn't covert a 3rd and 6 to give the punter more room, couldn't keep the ball with 4:00 minutes left and a seven pont lead, ect... He might have alluded to some of this, but I saw how he mentioned the play to Holmes, and I don't think Newman liked it, imo.

Bill Parcells didn't have to call Terence Newman out too often, I'll tell you that much. Newman's play from 2003-present, the body of work, speaks for itself. He is an elite player at his position. The general managers around the NFL have said so. If Newman wants to talk, he has the right to do so, especially after his coach threw him under the bus .

Newman took full blame, in the media, for the first Commanders game when he played while needing an operation.

Perhaps, Phillips should respect one of his best players at the micro-phone.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
41gy#;2487449 said:
Remember, Newman didn't name coaches. I just have my opinion about who he was talking about. I'm making a conjecture based on some of the offense's sloppy play this season. I think he was talking about Wade Phillips holding some of the players and coaches accountable for their play and duties.

When Phillips mentioned "that third down" after the game, he was singling out a defensive player for one mistake, a mistake that turned into a goalline stand. Terence Newman helped Phillips win the second Commanders game on defense. He didn't deserve to be thrown under the bus in the media by the head coach. That is disrespectful, and Newman didn't deserve it. If Phillips is going to highlight that play, then, he needs to call out the multiple plays on offense and special teams, all of them.

Phillips didn't call out Tony Romo's three picks and fumble, he didn't call out Jason Witten going MIA at the end of that game, he didn't call out the special teams who gave up two huge plays, he didn't call out his offense who couldn't convert a 4th and inches, a 4th and 2, had the ball on their own 40 and did nothing, couldn't covert a 3rd and 6 to give the punter more room, couldn't keep the ball with 4:00 minutes left and a seven pont lead, ect... He might have alluded to some of this, but I saw how he mentioned the play to Holmes, and I don't think Newman liked it, imo.

Bill Parcells didn't have to call Terence Newman out too often, I'll tell you that much. Newman's play from 2003-present, the body of work, speaks for itself. He is an elite player at his position. The general managers around the NFL have said so. If Newman wants to talk, he has the right to do so, especially after his coach threw him under the bus .

Newman took full blame, in the media, for the first Commanders game when he played while needing an operation.

Perhaps, Phillips should respect one of his best players at the micro-phone.

Yes he did. He said, Romo didn't have a good game and that he didn't play well. He said Punter screwed up by punting to wrong way. If that is not calling out, I don't what else is.

Sure if he just said, Newman's play was the only screw up, I would say you are correct. But that wasn't the case. Heck he even said, Pacman wasn't that good on Kick returns. YOu are just making excuses here.

Now did Newman earn the benifit of doubt? I have no issues there, that Newman earned that. But personally felt that Newman's screwup was the biggest one. Which, caused the flip of field position and subsequent issues.

Till that play, Pitt was not doing anything on Offense. After than Ben got confidence. Either way, I am not blaming or saying Newman shouldn't have issue with Wade saying, that Third Down play shouldn't have been given up. Newman should have gone to Wade Phillips and let him know about that, if he had issues.

But then its seems like I am minority there, but I just see bigger issue here than just Newman giving his opinion. We shall see I guess, if I am being paranoid or over analyzing this.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2487485 said:
Yes he did. He said, Romo didn't have a good game and that he didn't play well. He said Punter screwed up by punting to wrong way. If that is not calling out, I don't what else is.

Sure if he just said, Newman's play was the only screw up, I would say you are correct. But that wasn't the case. Heck he even said, Pacman wasn't that good on Kick returns. YOu are just making excuses here.

Now did Newman earn the benifit of doubt? I have no issues there, that Newman earned that. But personally felt that Newman's screwup was the biggest one. Which, caused the flip of field position and subsequent issues.

Till that play, Pitt was not doing anything on Offense. After than Ben got confidence. Either way, I am not blaming or saying Newman shouldn't have issue with Wade saying, that Third Down play shouldn't have been given up. Newman should have gone to Wade Phillips and let him know about that, if he had issues.

But then its seems like I am minority there, but I just see bigger issue here than just Newman giving his opinion. We shall see I guess, if I am being paranoid or over analyzing this.

It's all good. You have the right to express your view on it.

I just think Phillips really put some emphasis on the play to Holmes after the game. He said that there was "no excuse for it". Phillips put some emphasis on that play after the game. He did mention other stuff, but it was the way Phillips sounded when he talked about that play that added a little extra to the pointing out.

There wasn't "any excuse" for some of the sloppy offense and special teams, but Phillips didn't seem as 'upset' by the way he talked about those things, imo.

You can debate whether Newman should have said the accountability stuff in public, but I agree with what he said. Perhaps, Newman talked to Phillips first and talked to the media second. I don't know, and I don't care. The message is out, one way or both ways.

Newman might have seen the ship about to sink and voiced what many players probably feel, especially on defense.

This is much bigger than T.O. and Witten, imo.

When your quarterback throws the ball 35 yards down the field on 4th and 2, and the ball isn't even close to connecting with a receiver, the players on defense and offense are going to question calls or decisions like that. One Nick Folk kick wins that game. The offense couldn't even get him on the field when getting 2 yards and inches probably would have done it.

Perhaps, Newman is challenging Phillips to do something about Jason Garrett's play calling, game management, Romo management, ect...

The issue for me isn't who gets the ball. (Although, I don't understand why Roy Williams isn't more involved. If Romo looks at him first or sees him, before the left-handed throw, it's a TD. Williams was open at the start of the play.) Garrett needs to give Roy Williams some first read looks, imo.

The issue is some of the sloppy offensive play. Who is the boss of the offense?

Jason Garrett

Who is suppossed to be Garrett's boss?

Wade Phillips

Perhaps, Newman is challenging Wade Phillips to take control of the team, and that includes the offense. Phillips could set parameters for Jason Garrett, and Garrett could set them for Romo.

Example:

Phillilps to Garrett:

The defense is playing too good, and Romo has got to protect the ball better in his own end of the field and quit turning it over. Why are we throwing bombs on 4th and two? If we get 2 yards, we probably get 3 points out of the drive. I don't like the floaters to Owens. The ball is in the air too long. Romo stared down Owens on the first pick, and Owens didn't try to break it up. ect...

When we are backed up or starting at the 20 in a tight defensve game, I want safe, quick throws. Give yourself some room before you let him start throwing down the field. (A coach has to feel when to do this. Pittsburgh, cold,wind, road, #1 defense, ect... It shouldn't be hard, and both Phillips and Garrett should be able to have a feel for a given game.)

Garrett to Romo

This is called accountability.

I think this is what Newman is talking about, but it's just my opinion. I'm not in the lockerroom. It's all my conjecture.