CFZ My questions leading up to the first game

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Well Shane we are gonna have to agree to disagree with this one.
We had plenty of cap space to sign a decent swing tackle this off season but did not.
If we had that player could be starting and we could have eased Tyler in, and Tyler could have developed into a starter
by the end of the season.
My take.
Thanks

The issue is that you have to be planning for the future in regard to the cap. They have space right now because they have made moves for the future.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
No I do not. I made a statement as to IF McGovern improved. As he did not look like it from PS games. However, once all the starters, on offense are in there he could look better.
As to the WR running proper routes, playing with an actual game plan, Dak at QB and not the backups, Zeke and Pollard in the game and not Davis and Shampklin. That makes a big difference.

Ok, I misread it you saying that McGovern has improved. I am on board with what you are saying about the WR's. I think you can't job them based on being thrown to by our scrub backups. I hope the reports of Dak having good chemistry with all the receivers is truly the case.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Tank has an interview posted yesterday on YouTube. He talked about how he is in the best shape and diet of his life, he realizes what age does and does not want to let the team down and be out. They kept trying to get him to say this is the best defense he’s ever played on which he finally did, but he was very strong about saying first they had to prove it not just say it. And that’s what I’ve noticed on pretty much all the defensive player interviews this week. They all feel optimistic they all feel they are highly talented but none of them want to come out and say it. They want to put it on the field first which is nice to see in this overrated Hollywood Cowboys Jerryworld we watch.

At the Cowboys Celebration thing they talked to Tank and he mentioned some of those things. He cut his hair, taking a new approach, etc...but they are the best talkers in the world. I wanna see it.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
2. Why do we throw too much at rookies? Early in the preseason one of the head honchos said they think they threw too much at Tyler Smith. Now, Stephen said they have thrown too much at Tolbert. Why would you do this? Why wouldn't you give them one job to get comfortable with and then look to expand that as they get a little experience and confidence? We did the same thing with Parsons, fortunately he was able to handle it, but I think with 95% of all rookies you need to bring them in, have them focus on one spot and then increase their responsibilities as they show they can handle it.

Good teams have very few rookies they count on. The Bills had a couple rookies play but for the most part it was vets. I'm looking for MM to do what he did with Packers and build on the previous year. Not like JG who seemed to do well one year and bad the next.

I'd argue we were counting on Tolbert even before Washington went down, and the news that he has really struggled is of concern.

3. Can this group of no name receivers hold things down until Gallup gets back? What about Washington? His timetable was 6-10 weeks and we are basically coming into week 6 now. Will we get any kind of spark out of him?

The Bills had Diggs and some other guys. Hopefully Lamb will be our Diggs. Just as important can Dak be our Josh Allen. He looked really sharp Thursday.

Diggs is much, much, much more proven than Lamb is. Davis and Lamb in an open competition right now would be a close call. McKenzie is clearly better than our next up guys. A healthy Gallup is probably close to Lamb and Davis.

The Rams had Kupp and nothing else. Stafford couldn't elevate them.

5. Do we have a ton of pass rushing depth? Outside of Parsons, who has shown he can get after it, we have a lot of guys that have shown they can get to the QB for 6-8 sacks a year. Our 1985 team set the team record with 62 sacks. We had 41 last year. Could we see a big jump in total sacks this year?

It could be argued that Miller elevated the Bills pass rush and made them all better for seven sacks against the Rams. If Parsons can be our Miller I see good things happening.

Miller is an addition to an already good Bills defense. Micah is already here and it is hard to project him getting so much better....he is already near the best in the business. If we had got Miller....then we might have got the same boost. We got Fowler. And Sam Williams. Not sure they meet the standard.

9. Will Kellen Moore be better than last year? MM is supposedly more involved with the offense.
Moore did not adjust in the second half of the season, particularly after the Denver game when a blueprint was laid out for controlling our offense.

Last edited:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
1. Don't think he will produce double digits but his play should benefit from Parsons presence. Will be interested to see what kind of contributor he is post Thanksgiving as I have my personal doubts on durability. Great point. Tank has traditionally been more effective early in the year.

2. Tyler should been left at guard where he practice/played most of preseason. Should've been a vet FA brought in as quickly as Smith went down imo. Tolbert must not have studied his playbook like Houston. Either TheLandryHat or BTB did an article propping up Houston for his playback study and knowing all 3 X, y and z receiver positions. Initial reports in camp on Tolbert were very positive but then kind of went silent. Dak had good things to say about him and also about Houston.

3. Not as confident as some by what I thought were underwhelming performance of Tolbert/Fehoko against non player CBs during preseason games. Regardless of the poor QB play. I thought more flashes would have happened. Opponent CB2s and CB3s are not losing any sleep. With Washington I have no idea based on the team's historically sketchy return dates when reporting personnel injuries. Could be 6 weeks or could be 10. I remember Gallimores last year and that was a little longer than what was first reported, lol. Fehoko had chances to make some plays but had a lot of drops. Washington also has never really put it all together, so it is hard to get super excited at this point as to what he could offer when ready.

4. Interior defensive line is a wait and see for me with fingers crossed on growth/development of all the guys. Still gotta prove it, but on paper we have put a lot of resources into the DTs.

5. Parsons elite talent will lift complimentary players performances of these rushmen because of opposing DCs concern over Micah. Opportunities will be available. I believe the concern should be IF they don't get home then what. Im thinking more sacks this year and fewer interceptions.

6. No comment

7. Patterns of behavior are hard to overcome. Fingers crossed and plenty of 4 leaf clovers in that Maher has learned to consistently hit 35-45 yarders, which is the majority percentage of field goals attempted in the NFL. Cheers to his second chance. Kickers are always only as good as their last game. ANd these guys bounce around all the time. I dont have a problem with a second chance, maybe he has learned something bouncing around a little. I don't think Garibay or Hallelujah was the answer and think there are some viable replacements out there if Maher fails.

8. The overall key to the season imo. Any linemen not named Martin should be a concern. I fear one more injury loss to either position group of o-linemen or WRs and this offense could turn into a 3 and out machine if it's not already. The one positive is that even when going against team's first team DL...they were still running the ball and being effective. I think if we can establish the run then we will be ok. There are going to be issues in the pass blocking but hopefully we will take steps to try and minimize them.

Thus negating all the positive defensive vibes for this year cuz they'd be on the field too long because of the offenses ineptitude and eventually wear down.

jmo

75boyz

Reaction score

Really good overall post man.

Liked the way you answered all the different responses from posters with your own strong opinion of what you've witnessed so far or are hoping regarding the different position groups.

Again, Cool post dude.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. What can we expect from Tank? There really hasn't been a ton of talk about him either way. I personally like the player, and I think he does so many things that go unnoticed. But can he return to double digit sack form?

2. Why do we throw too much at rookies? Early in the preseason one of the head honchos said they think they threw too much at Tyler Smith. Now, Stephen said they have thrown too much at Tolbert. Why would you do this? Why wouldn't you give them one job to get comfortable with and then look to expand that as they get a little experience and confidence? We did the same thing with Parsons, fortunately he was able to handle it, but I think with 95% of all rookies you need to bring them in, have them focus on one spot and then increase their responsibilities as they show they can handle it.

3. Can this group of no name receivers hold things down until Gallup gets back? What about Washington? His timetable was 6-10 weeks and we are basically coming into week 6 now. Will we get any kind of spark out of him?

4. Will the interior DT be a strength? We have thrown a lot of draft capital into the spot. Hill, Odiggy, Gallimore, Bohanna, Ridgeway. It is time for them to step up.

5. Do we have a ton of pass rushing depth? Outside of Parsons, who has shown he can get after it, we have a lot of guys that have shown they can get to the QB for 6-8 sacks a year. Our 1985 team set the team record with 62 sacks. We had 41 last year. Could we see a big jump in total sacks this year?

6. Can Dak raise the level of those around him? It has been the buzzword from the front office lately when we didn't add any veterans into the mix at WR and OT before finally signing Peters. Can Dak make the OL look better than it is? Can he elevate a bunch of no name WR's?

7. Is Maher really gonna be the Kicker all year? I think one thing that might help him is that he has to realize that you don't have to kick every FG like it is a 60 yarder. With his leg, just an average swing will get the ball 50 yards. Slowing things down a bit and a little less effort might increase the accuracy on those must have kicks inside the 45.

8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Seems to be too much to ask for 4 guys to be better than they have ever been .

The front office never said that. It would be foolish to think any QB can raise his level with a bad Oline and no run game.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The front office never said that. It would be foolish to think any QB can raise his level with a bad Oline and no run game.

OK, he didn't say it directly. But he said when you pay the QB franchise money, you sacrifice elsewhere. The clear implication is that Dak has to elevate those around him.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The issue is that you have to be planning for the future in regard to the cap. They have space right now because they have made moves for the future.
Fair enough,
But do swing tackles cost that much?
Could we have signed Peters earlier for example without breaking the bank?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. What can we expect from Tank? There really hasn't been a ton of talk about him either way. I personally like the player, and I think he does so many things that go unnoticed. But can he return to double digit sack form?

4. Will the interior DT be a strength? We have thrown a lot of draft capital into the spot. Hill, Odiggy, Gallimore, Bohanna, Ridgeway. It is time for them to step up.

6. Can Dak raise the level of those around him? It has been the buzzword from the front office lately when we didn't add any veterans into the mix at WR and OT before finally signing Peters. Can Dak make the OL look better than it is? Can he elevate a bunch of no name WR's?

7. Is Maher really gonna be the Kicker all year? I think one thing that might help him is that he has to realize that you don't have to kick every FG like it is a 60 yarder. With his leg, just an average swing will get the ball 50 yards. Slowing things down a bit and a little less effort might increase the accuracy on those must have kicks inside the 45.

8. Can the OL be average at least? We only have one position locked down right now and that is RG. Everything else is a question mark. Seems to be too much to ask for 4 guys to be better than they have ever been .
DLaw is solid when healthy.

NFL teams have to depend on some rookies.

They use more 2 TE sets and Pollard as a receiver until Gallup returns.

DTs will be good if healthy.

Pass rush. When healthy, Fowler is a a quality pass rusher. Similar ability to Robert Quinn...i.e. Good pass rush but not great vs the run. He had injury issues in 2021.

Just a matter of time with Sam Williams. Very rare combo of power and speed. He made some absurd plays in the preseason. How many 4.4 forty players can Bullrush OTs straight back to the QB?

Dak. If run game is decent, then Dak can dominate.

Maher. No way to predict. Big leg guys sometimes get more accurate.

Steele is a known quantity. He started 6 at LT and 8 at RT last season. He was much better at RT than LT. They kept him at RT for 2 games after La'el returned. The injury to Tyron forced him to practice at LT even when Tyron returned.

Biadasz is not great but is steady. He had the 2nd best performance in the playoff game of the 5 starters.

McGovern is unknown. Not good in 4 games last season but looked much better this preseason.

Tyler has uber elite physical ability. Penalties are more of a concern than physical performance.

Last edited:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
DLaw is solid when healthy.

NFL teams have to depend on some rookies.

They use more 2 TE sets and Pollard as a receiver until Gallup returns.

DTs will be good if healthy.

Pass rush. When healthy, Fowler is a a quality pass rusher. Similar ability to Robert Quinn...i.e. Good pass rush but not great vs the run. He had injury issues in 2021.

Just a matter of time with Sam Williams. Very rare combo of power and speed. He made some absurd plays in the preseason. How many 4.4 forty players can Bullrush OTs straight back to the QB?

Dak. If run game is decent, then Dak can dominate.

Maher. No way to predict. Big leg guys sometimes get more accurate.

Steele is a known quantity. He started 6 at LT and 8 at RT last season. He was much better at RT than LT. They kept him at RT for 2 games after La'el returned. The injury to Tyron forced him to practice at LT even when Tyron returned.

Biadasz is not great but is steady. He had the 2nd best performance in the playoff game of the 5 starters.

McGovern is unknown. Not good in 4 games last season but looked much better this preseason.

Tyler has uber elite physical ability. Penalties are more of a concern than physical performance.

I agree about D. Law....let's have him healthy for one year please! Of course, Jerry will resign him to a 10 year extension.

Counting on rookies is one thing. Counting on rookies to play multiple roles is another altogether.

Hell, if Fowler is similar to Quinn, just let him pass rush constantly...he really should never be on the field if it isn't a clear passing down.

Seems like for the most part we agree on most of this stuff. You seem a bit more confident than I do....I'd love for everything to go right, but you know that rarely happens. Just need the right number of hits to give us a chance. I really think there are still very few teams that can out talent us from 1-53.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OK, he didn't say it directly. But he said when you pay the QB franchise money, you sacrifice elsewhere. The clear implication is that Dak has to elevate those around him.
That’s called fake news.

all he means is when you pay a qb 40m some part of the roster will suffer because if it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Top picks usually take 3-6 games to adapt to actual game conditions...time on the carpet is always the key element.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree about D. Law....let's have him healthy for one year please! Of course, Jerry will resign him to a 10 year extension.

Counting on rookies is one thing. Counting on rookies to play multiple roles is another altogether.

Hell, if Fowler is similar to Quinn, just let him pass rush constantly...he really should never be on the field if it isn't a clear passing down.

Seems like for the most part we agree on most of this stuff. You seem a bit more confident than I do....I'd love for everything to go right, but you know that rarely happens. Just need the right number of hits to give us a chance. I really think there are still very few teams that can out talent us from 1-53.
The state of Florida have some good draft candidates for the Cowboys next draft?

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
I think lot of fans are counting on Diggs to get double digit INTs again.
Turnovers makes the defense look much better than it may actually is.
Interception are hard to make, against any QBs. A lot of that are just pure luck.
I think about 5 interception is a good year for a top tier DB.

Yeah but we are not talking about any ol DB, We're talking about TREVON!!!!!!

But on a serious note I have questions

1. What if Dak goes from # 9 to say #5 ?
2. What if Zeke is relatively injury free and Rushes for 1400 yds and 14 TDs ?
3. What if Cee Dee stays on his trajectory and becomes the latest addition of the 88 club ?
4. What if Fowler and Williams replace Randy's production?
5. Micah, Barr and Van Der Esch what will they do ?
6. What about Oddigy, Sir Neville and the boys ?

People are acting as if Dallas Has Fallen off. I think they are better through subtraction. We shall see now won't we

Let's Go !!!!!!!