My quick take on Playoff Scenarios

dogberry

Reaction score
If we win out, and the teams with the current best record win, then what is our tie breaker with Detroit for the sixth spot?

yimyammer

Reaction score
Yes but they live in the cold weather from day to day. And how many cold weather games do out door teams play anyway. Truly cold games, one, maybe two?

I thought maybe you knew if they practiced outside in the cold, if they don't, I don't see the Vikes as being as accustomed to cold weather play as the Packers, Steelers, other open air cold weather venues

day to day living in cold weather and being acclimated is a possible benefit but not limited to just Minnesota

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we win out, and the teams with the current best record win, then what is our tie breaker with Detroit for the sixth spot?
It depends as the tie-breakers for two teams is different than if there are three teams tied for the last spot.

For two-team tie-breakers with both teams in separate divisions, it goes 1) win/loss record, 2) conference record, 3) record against common opponents. If the Lions and Cowboys win out, they would be tied on #1 and #2, so it would shift to #3, and they would beat the Cowboys due to winning against Green Bay twice (they already beat them once).

endersdragon

Reaction score
It depends as the tie-breakers for two teams is different than if there are three teams tied for the last spot.

For two-team tie-breakers with both teams in separate divisions, it goes 1) win/loss record, 2) conference record, 3) record against common opponents. If the Lions and Cowboys win out, they would be tied on #1 and #2, so it would shift to #3, and they would beat the Cowboys due to winning against Green Bay twice (they already beat them once).
That's the one big issue I see in our shot. I think we can overtake every other team... but the Lions and Packers are both dangerous, especially as the Packers could decide to just rest Rodgers for the rest of the year giving the Lions an easy path to 10 wins.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why bother making this post or being a 'supporter' on a team's forum if you feel so negative towards the team? Absolutely no hate towards you and my post wasn't made to start anything. Just baffles me to see so called 'Cowboy fans' wasting their time on here when they've already written this season off.
Do not be baffled. Think of it this way. Consider all the alternatives a dissatisfied fan could choose to help lift their disappointment like:
  • Take a vacation
  • Buy themselves something they have always wanted
  • Spend quality time with their family and friends
  • Take a long relaxing drive
  • Focus on other sporting events
  • Discern realistic ways of persuading team management to change tactics
  • Dive into informative or educational pursuits
  • Catch up reading favorite novels
  • Binge watch movies
  • Devote energies to charities
  • Ponder the philosophical aspects of life
  • Scratch off some bucket list or To Do list items
  • Make effigies of Jones, Garrett, Marinelli, etc., and practice voodoo
  • Re-evaluate their investment portfolio
The number of alternatives are too numerous to list. Luckily, fan sites like CowboysZone are there for anyone who cannot fathom any alternatives on [insert any weekday here] because, frankly, they ain't got <expletive> else to do otherwise.

:starspin:

lostar2009

Reaction score
I disagree.................don't water down the playoffs by letting half the teams in.

If we don't make the playoffs, it is because we blew games to the Packers and Rams and got curb stomped in a handful of others.

Don't forget that Atlanta game. I think that game is the final straw thay place us in this mess. We lost 3 games against playoff caliber teams in the same conference. You can't do that in the NFL. It creates too many tie breakers against you.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We are the Cowboys. Expect the worst case scenario which would be:

- We win out
- Don't make the playoffs at 10-6
- Lose a few spots in the draft order
- The 5 game winning streak at the end deludes the Jones' family into thinking this staff is perfect, so no changes - Garrett, Marinelli, etc.
- 5 game winning streak has the Jones overvaluing our roster so we spend the offseason bragging about our roster, find a few more Nolan Carroll types in FA and think we'll fix everything in the draft.

Yep, that's usually how things go with this team.:mad:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That Ram game was a total giveaway !!! We should have to pay for that one !

Yep, when you piss away games that were literally in the bag it usually comes back to bite you.:facepalm:

You can add the Packer game to that list as well.:mad:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why bother making this post or being a 'supporter' on a team's forum if you feel so negative towards the team? Absolutely no hate towards you and my post wasn't made to start anything. Just baffles me to see so called 'Cowboy fans' wasting their time on here when they've already written this season off.

I know this was not directed at me, but I think you are looking at things wrong.

One can be a fan of the team and at the very same time have a very negative feeling towards the team. These are not mutually exclusive items. For example maybe they think Jason Garrett needs to be fired (poll showed over 90% of board agreed) so they think the best way for this to happen is for the team to lose as many games as possible.

So you ask why people bother to post if they don't "support the team". Well it can be for any number or reasons. Maybe they have been a fan for years and years and years and they don't like this version of the team. Maybe its the coaching staff, maybe its the players, maybe its Jerry, maybe its something else that they just don't like, but they are still a fan at heart and they still like to discuss their team with other fans, many who may share their viewpoints on what is wrong with the team.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Last edited:

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I know this was not directed at me, but I think you are looking at things wrong.

One can be a fan of the team and at the very same time have a very negative feeling towards the team. These are not mutually exclusive items. For example maybe they think Jason Garrett needs to be fired (poll showed over 90% of board agreed) so they think the best way for this to happen is for the team to lose as many games as possible.

So you ask why people bother to post if they don't "support the team". Well it can be for any number or reasons. Maybe they have been a fan for years and years and years and they don't like this version of the team. Maybe its the coaching staff, maybe its the players, maybe its Jerry, maybe its something else that they just don't like, but they are still a fan at heart and they still like to discuss their team with other fans, many who may share their viewpoints on what is wrong with the team.

Well said and I can get behind that. I can say that I've been a fan of this team since '81 so I've lived through some nightmares to say the least. Now, what I can't get behind are those fans that interrupt the flow of a positive thread by stating that this team has no chance so why are all of you wasting your time. To me, that's more than just being frustrated with the things you noted above. If you're down on your favorite team, and feel the need to throw hate in their direction, then there's plenty of threads started just for that cause. Appreciate the reply man!

links18

Reaction score
I like the expression "deep tie breaker scenarios."

Anyone want to start figuring in ties?