My Super Bowl analysis

Manster68

Reaction score
I have to go out and say it...

...this game was CRAAP!!

Neither of these teams truly deserved to win this one.

I honestly believe Pittsburgh won NOT by earning it, but by Seattle squandering sooooo many opportunities to cash in for some points.

The Seahawks screwed themselves like you would not believe. Let me count the ways:

- First of all, shoot the punter. How many times did Seattle punt near midfield, only to have the Steelers start their drives at the 20? If I were Holmgren, after Gardocki punted the ball for Pittsburgh to the two, I would have grabbed Rouen and said "See that!! That is what a REAL punter does!!!" It is the only frickin job he has for crying out loud.

- Seattle had such excellent field position in the first half, yet they only manages three points?

- Jackson stepping out of bounds on the touchdown pass. He is a professional football player right? He should know better NOT to hug the sidelines on that route and give the quarterback such a small margin for success.

also concerning Jackson...

- You should know by now that pushing off the safety will net you a flag! What is really bothersome is the fact that he didn't NEED to push off! His body naturally sheilded the defender from the ball.

- Two missed field goals! Granted, they were from 50 and 54 yards, but he had no trouble making those in the rain against Dallas in the middle of the regular season. There was no rain and wind in Ford Field.

- Jeremy Stevens has hands of stone. I am just glad those stone hands held on for that one touchdown.

Why was Stevens touchdown so significant for Cowboy fans?

Because that solidified the Cowboys as being the only team to hold their opponent without a touchdown in a Super Bowl.

- Roethlisburger's touchdown: What bothers me the most about that was the line judge. As he was running in, after Roethlisburger was down, he was signaling that he did not get in (he raised his fist signaling fourth down). Then, after he was down for a couple of seconds, he reached the ball over and the line judge changed his call.

You knew that was NOT going to get overturned! The Steelers got the benefit of a "49er" call.

- The two minute drills at the end of the half and the game were absolutely atrocious!

-- The draw play to Alexander at the Pittsburgh 40 was a horrendous call. Wrong time to be calling that play. Then Hasselbeck takes some 30 seconds to get the next play off!! *** kind of game management is that?

-- At the end of the game, that 3rd down pass to Stevens, where he failed to get out of bounds, is totally inexcusable. They should have went for a long field goal try with about a minute left.

- The play to Stevens down to the two, that got called back, was absolutely *********! That was a clean block by Locklear. That would have set Seattle up to take the lead. And that is despite all of the wrong-doings the Seahawks had up to that point.

Then Hasselbeck throws that pick, and gets called on a phantom block below the waist call when Matt never touched anyone! This gives Pittsburgh the ball near midfield and eventually had to use a high school gadget play to get an eleven point lead.

Doesn't this turn of events seem awfully familiar to Super Bowl XIII?

See folks, it wasn't that Pittsburgh won as much as it was Seattle being exposed for the frauds they are getting homefield advantage all because they play in a horrendous division in a weak conference.

I sure hope the media does not rank this Steeler team along side the Steeler teams in the 70s, because the 2005 Steelers are not even close.

I will give them credit for winning on teh road in the playoffs though. However, this Super Bowl ranks right up there as the most pathetic Super Bowls ever played!!

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
The Stealers are, without a shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst "champion" the NFL has "produced" in its 86 year history-bar none. There is not one team that won a championship in the history of this league that wouldn't wipe the floor with them-hell, there are a few teams this year that would've smacked them around if given the chance- they got a good draw in the playoffs by not having to go to New England or having to face Jacksonville- both of whom would have made them squeal for mercy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
The Stealers are, without a shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst "champion" the NFL has "produced" in its 86 year history-bar none. There is not one team that won a championship in the history of this league that wouldn't wipe the floor with them-hell, there are a few teams this year that would've smacked them around if given the chance- they got a good draw in the playoffs by not having to go to New England or having to face Jacksonville- both of whom would have made them squeal for mercy.

They took down the Bengal,Colts and Broncos all on the road what they got they earned it. You don't have to like it but the simple fact is the Steelers earned what they got.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
They took down the Bengal,Colts and Broncos all on the road what they got they earned it. You don't have to like it but the simple fact is the Steelers earned what they got.

Yeah, they earned their slot in the game, but that doesn't make them a great championship team in the grand scheme of things- they should not be considered among the better teams to win a championship- heck, they didn't even win their easy division.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Manster68 said:

...this game was CRAAP!!

I honestly believe Pittsburgh won NOT by earning it, but by Seattle squandering sooooo many opportunities to cash in for some points.

The Seahawks screwed themselves like you would not believe. Let me count the ways:

- First of all, shoot the punter. How many times did Seattle punt near midfield, only to have the Steelers start their drives at the 20? If I were Holmgren, after Gardocki punted the ball for Pittsburgh to the two, I would have grabbed Rouen and said "See that!! That is what a REAL punter does!!!" It is the only frickin job he has for crying out loud.

- Seattle had such excellent field position in the first half, yet they only manages three points?

- Jackson stepping out of bounds on the touchdown pass. He is a professional football player right? He should know better NOT to hug the sidelines on that route and give the quarterback such a small margin for success.

- You should know by now that pushing off the safety will net you a flag! What is really bothersome is the fact that he didn't NEED to push off! His body naturally sheilded the defender from the ball.

- Two missed field goals! Granted, they were from 50 and 54 yards, but he had no trouble making those in the rain against Dallas in the middle of the regular season. There was no rain and wind in Ford Field.

- Jeremy Stevens has hands of stone. I am just glad those stone hands held on for that one touchdown.

Because that solidified the Cowboys as being the only team to hold their opponent without a touchdown in a Super Bowl.

- Roethlisburger's touchdown: What bothers me the most about that was the line judge. As he was running in, after Roethlisburger was down, he was signaling that he did not get in (he raised his fist signaling fourth down). Then, after he was down for a couple of seconds, he reached the ball over and the line judge changed his call.

You knew that was NOT going to get overturned! The Steelers got the benefit of a "49er" call.

- The two minute drills at the end of the half and the game were absolutely atrocious!

-- The draw play to Alexander at the Pittsburgh 40 was a horrendous call. Wrong time to be calling that play. Then Hasselbeck takes some 30 seconds to get the next play off!! *** kind of game management is that?

-- At the end of the game, that 3rd down pass to Stevens, where he failed to get out of bounds, is totally inexcusable. They should have went for a long field goal try with about a minute left.

- The play to Stevens down to the two, that got called back, was absolutely *********! That was a clean block by Locklear. That would have set Seattle up to take the lead. And that is despite all of the wrong-doings the Seahawks had up to that point.

Then Hasselbeck throws that pick, and gets called on a phantom block below the waist call when Matt never touched anyone! This gives Pittsburgh the ball near midfield and eventually had to use a high school gadget play to get an eleven point lead.

See folks, it wasn't that Pittsburgh won as much as it was Seattle being exposed for the frauds they are getting homefield advantage all because they play in a horrendous division in a weak conference.

I sure hope the media does not rank this Steeler team along side the Steeler teams in the 70s, because the 2005 Steelers are not even close.

I will give them credit for winning on teh road in the playoffs though. However, this Super Bowl ranks right up there as the most pathetic Super Bowls ever played!!

That was pretty good analysis. It just wasn't a good game played by either team or the refs. I think both teams are capable of playing better, but I also think it is a product of the parity or mediocrity of the NFL nowadays.

It happens that teams may not play their best game, but it is a bit dissappointing to have the refs do so poorly. I don't think they were trying to fix the game or showing a bias, it just happened that most of the bad calls went againt the Seahawks. It didn't matter which team the bad calls went against, they were just bad calls that should not have been made. The big one to me was the holding call on Locklear. Not so much the hold call as the fact that the Steeler player was clearly off sides on the play. That was the reason why Locklear was in a bad position because the Steeler had a head start. Then the guy was off sides on the very next play as well. Verry poor showing by the officials.

The good thing is that a game like this shows that any team truly has a chance in today's NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
Yeah, they earned their slot in the game, but that doesn't make them a great championship team in the grand scheme of things- they should not be considered among the better teams to win a championship- heck, they didn't even win their easy division.

They were better than everyone else. End of story. I was pulling for the seahawks in to win but I'll be damned if I turn it to some spoiled sport because the other team won. Pitt had to overcome injuries and get on a 7 game win streak including all playoff games on the road they earned what they got. I don't think they are the best ever but they are the best this year.

DipChit

Reaction score
Well that Seahag Safety, Pruitt had about as much to do with the outcome of the game as any other single factor. He was involved in most all the big plays.

Totally bad angle on Parkers TD run, totally bit on the reverse/pass for a TD and at the end when Roth bootelgged for the 1st down Pruitt bit as hard as can be on the fake up the middle.

That guy was brutal.. back up or not.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DipChit said:
Well that Seahag Safety, Pruitt had about as much to do with the outcome of the game as any other single factor. He was involved in most all the big plays.

Totally bad angle on Parkers TD run, totally bit on the reverse/pass for a TD and at the end when Roth bootelgged for the 1st down Pruitt bit as hard as can be on the fake up the middle.

That guy was brutal.. back up or not.

Boulware also had a very bad angle when coming up for run support on Parker's TD run. Put that together with the good blocking on that play and it equals TD.

The funniest thing I saw was the 3rd down conversion on the screen pass on the last drive. Faneca had gone down field and was at the yellow line 1st down marker before the pass was in the air. He was actually running back to the ball carrier as the play was ending and I could see him looking around at the officials to see if any of them caught him for illegal man down field. That is the part that made me chuckle.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As I sit here and read all of these opinion, not all together wrong BTW, I can't help but ask the question.

What did we all expect? I mean, many say the Pats were great champions, and to an extent, I suppose I see the argument but honestly, were they really great? I mean, they never beat anybody by more then 3 points in any of there SBs. They didn't hold anybody to under two TDs. I mean, the accomplishment was great and the fact that they did it in the salary cap era was extrodinary, IMO, but was the team really that great? TB was dominating but one and done. Not great IMO. Baltimore was basically the same thing IMO. St. Louise one and really, came within a yard of never doing that. A truely great offense IMO but not a great team. Denver, with Elway and TD was a great team, IMO. They had a balanced offense and decent defense. Not dominating but decent. GB, again, was a great team even thou they only won one IMO. They had the misfortune of being good when both the Cowboys and the 49rs were superior for a stretch of 4 to 5 years. A different time and they may very well have won more championships. I think they were a great team. Having said that, the Broncos and the Packers were teams that were early into the Cap/FA era. The cap was around but it had not really balanced the league yet. In short, mediocraty had not become known as the "NFL" as it has today.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the league has strove to create balance. Mediocraty, IMO. Nobody is head and shoulders above the rest. Any given year, 10 teams can make a single move and win a championship. There are no teams that are top to bottom great IMO. All have weakness and all play not to lose. Nobody really dominates on both sides of the ball anymore. It is exactly what the NFL wanted to create. Average.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Manster68 said:

...this game was CRAAP!!

Manster, I agree with everything here. Great post.

The Steelers didn't win it as much as the Seahawks lost it...if that makes any sense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
Manster, I agree with everything here. Great post.

The Steelers didn't win it as much as the Seahawks lost it...if that makes any sense.

I agree. Seahawks had their oppertunties and did not make the plays. Hasslebecks int was the back breaker for the Hawks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was an awful game. Actually the whole playoffs sucked for the most part. One of the most truly bad post-seasons I've ever witnessed.

Seattle shoulda-coulda won... BUT

That's how the cookie crumbles.

Congrats to the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I thought Jackson had scored on that pass. He stepped in to the endzone and the ball crossed the plane before he stepped out. Seattle messed up by not challenging the play.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I thought Jackson had scored on that pass. He stepped in to the endzone and the ball crossed the plane before he stepped out. Seattle messed up by not challenging the play.

No, he only got one foot down. He needed to make more of an effort to get his feet down even if it meant being down at the 1 yard line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
No, he only got one foot down. He needed to make more of an effort to get his feet down even if it meant being down at the 1 yard line.

I agree he did a poor job of knowing where he was.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
If he crossed the goalline it doesn't matter. He also kicked the pylon with his other foot before stepping out. I still think it was a td.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeagermeister said:
If he crossed the goalline it doesn't matter. He also kicked the pylon with his other foot before stepping out. I still think it was a td.

I think it does matter. They need to get two feet in the endzone after catching pass...just ask the Bucs.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
My initial thoughts, we need another rb--Pittsburg has got real depth, we need a nt like Hampton, that's what I'm talking about, did you see his sack where he one armed/***** slapped the center, also we sooo need a cover corner safety, while we're at it we need o-lineman, we are more than one draft away,we got to make some FA pick ups its doable but time for the checkbook to open...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

You have to establish possesion to score a TD. He never got a second foot down to establish that possesion. That second foot is the one that kicked the pylon. If he would have established possesion before that, then yes it would have been a TD.

devotedfan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
They didn't earn crap. Their saving grace was 'Kimo the cow' rolling over Palmers knee in what was surely going to be a Bengal ***-kicking. :mad: