My take on the Commanders

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
I have watched the Commanders 2 preseason games and of course since they are Divisional Rivals you gotta keep tabs on what they are doing. They've been very vanilla on offense, struggled like most teams in preseason, but have shown glimpses. So far, Randle-El and Lylod have made big plays, with the Oline giving Brunnel time and a clean pocket. Few balls have gone to Moss or Cooley their primary receiving targets last year..........we know that ain't happening come September. Gibbs will pull out the Iron chef recipes.

IMHO, I think they have the best Starting 22 (+3) in the NFC East. This is not indication of being more talented at every position, but the starting units on paper appear to better overall in talent, experience and potential(2006 season). As Cowboy fan I believe that some of our units like LB, secondary and Dline have much more potential/upside, but are lacking in experience.

I consider the 3rd WR/HB/TE, PK and 3rd DB as starters in todays NFL.......(+3). In the case of the Commanders they've got Randle-El, John Hall and Priloeau (or Rumph) potentially manning those roles.

Their Oline and plus key blockers like Mike Sellars and Fauria on paper are second to none in the division and argument could be made they are in the top 3 within the conference.

Couple the blocking potential with an elite RB in Portis.

Their back-ups are as big a question mark as ours. Ditto with the Special teams.

They won 6 straight games down the stretch including a play-off win on the Road. Most of us Cowboy fans scoff at the giddyness over at Extreme. I can just imagine the cowboy faithful and media in if we add TO and Vanderjack after losing to the Seahawks in a Divisional Play-off game.

I think for the Commanders in comes down to if the starters can hold up for entire season. I say this because unlike the Commanders, our Cowboys will feature more of a rotation in the Defensive front 7. But the Skins counter with a very good running attack that keeps the Defense fresh. Any long term loss to Jansen, Samuels, Thomas or Rabach woudl cripple the Oline (See Flozell in 05). How they held up with Ray Brown last year is a miracle.

Their defense is aggressive, but every time I watch them... Parcells quote from from previous and present training camps keeps coming up "We're going to wish they blitz".

The 45 man rosters are pretty even for the entire division. I think that is why every expert is stating the division is the best in the NFL.

Anyway, it's Sunday Morning. In a month these hours will be spent preping for Sunday football. I am Cowboy fan living in Commander territory so I thought I throw in my two sense.

fortdick

Reaction score
I thought the Jets looked more polished than the Skins. How you came up with this after watching the game last night, I don't know.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah I think the key to their season is injuries. If they can avoid too many injuries, they'll be fine.

This injury bug though, would have me scared if I were a Commanders fan.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I live here in MD and watch them all the time also. I think they're gonna have big trouble at QB, DLine, and at the back up positions. Their back ups are terrible. I don't see Brunnell playing well this year at all and Campbell and Collins aren't even close. Their DLine gets absolutely no rush, they have to blitz to get heat on the QB. Also, I just don't see their CB's keeping up with our WR's. I really don't.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Mansta54 said:
I live here in MD and watch them all the time also. I think they're gonna have big trouble at QB, DLine, and at the back up positions. Their back ups are terrible. I don't see Brunnell playing well this year at all and Campbell and Collins aren't even close. Their DLine gets absolutely no rush, they have to blitz to get heat on the QB. Also, I just don't see their CB's keeping up with our WR's. I really don't.

Didn't the Jets' second string offense own the Commanders first string defense?

Mansta54

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Didn't the Jets' second string offense own the Commanders first string defense?

Ahh, yes they played very well against them...

booker

Reaction score
Mansta54 said:

Exactly,they get no rush from the front four so they blitz safties and corners.Ill be interested in what they do against Brady ,seeing as they have only faced backup QBs thus far.

notherbob

Reaction score
I think the Skins are probably going to start off OK but I expect them to wear down and falter when they have to start depending on some of their backups as I think that is their weakness. If they can reamin healthy, they'll be pretty good but if not, they won't be able to compete very well in the NFCE.

Mansta54

Reaction score
There is no way they can blitz us like that. Bledsoe will eat them up with the quick pass to TO or Glenn. Like I said, I don't see their CB's playing our WR's well at all.. They're gonna have to keep people in coverage...

ghst187

Reaction score
Mansta54 said:
I live here in MD and watch them all the time also. I think they're gonna have big trouble at QB, DLine, and at the back up positions. Their back ups are terrible. I don't see Brunnell playing well this year at all and Campbell and Collins aren't even close. Their DLine gets absolutely no rush, they have to blitz to get heat on the QB.

I agree. I don't think Brunell will capture the magic again. If Portis ends up having a lingering injury....it will be a sinking ship. IMO, he and Brunell are the lynchpins with no quality depth behind them.
We know their D will be very good but I also noticed that they couldn't get pressure without blitzing. I could see their D slipping a little from last year.
I don't agree with the original poster that they have the best starting 22 in the division. I think the Giants and Cowboys have something to say about that. At a minimum, it isn't clear-cut.

Mansta54

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
I agree. I don't think Brunell will capture the magic again. If Portis ends up having a lingering injury....it will be a sinking ship. IMO, he and Brunell are the lynchpins with no quality depth behind them.
We know their D will be very good but I also noticed that they couldn't get pressure without blitzing. I could see their D slipping a little from last year.
I don't agree with the original poster that they have the best starting 22 in the division. I think the Giants and Cowboys have something to say about that. At a minimum, it isn't clear-cut.

I agree with you on both these issues....

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I think it can be argued that the Commanders have the most talent at the starting positions. I disagree with the OP that we have big question marks at backup positions. Obviously we're not deep at every position, O-line and WR come to mind, but we may have some of the best depth in the NFL overall, especially at defense. The Commanders will wear down, and once they have some injuries, as is bound to happen in any season, they don't have much to replace those guys with. An injury to the secondary would be devastating to them.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I agree with you, charles...these other guys aren't going by the team on paper or what the players have done in the past...they are going by what they see on TV during meaningless preseason games under a new offensive coordinator.

When the Cowboys go 0-4 or 1-3 in preseason, it's always "the games don't matter...we're not showing what we have....we're evaluating players," but when another team that beat us twice last season and has clearly improved their team in the offseason struggles in the first two preseason games, it means something....:(

I think the Giants will be the best offense in the NFC East this seaon, but the Skins may be the overall greatest threat.

Personally, I think the Panthers will be the elite team in the NFC this year.

The Cowboys? I just want Parcells to get us to the freakin' playoffs one time so we don't take on the mantle of the Skins in previous years where we think we're a good team on paper, but we never get the job done.

This is the year...if we don't make the playoffs, at least, I hope Parcells retires.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I could care less about the preseason records, they mean nothing. I just don't think the Foreskins are all that. I watch them as much as I watch the BOYZ cause I live here in MD. I follow them closely, I really have no choice. I just don't think they're all that good.. Nobody cares about wins and losses in the preseason...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Charles said:
I have watched the Commanders 2 preseason games and of course since they are Divisional Rivals you gotta keep tabs on what they are doing. They've been very vanilla on offense, struggled like most teams in preseason, but have shown glimpses. So far, Randle-El and Lylod have made big plays, with the Oline giving Brunnel time and a clean pocket. Few balls have gone to Moss or Cooley their primary receiving targets last year..........we know that ain't happening come September. Gibbs will pull out the Iron chef recipes.

IMHO, I think they have the best Starting 22 (+3) in the NFC East. This is not indication of being more talented at every position, but the starting units on paper appear to better overall in talent, experience and potential(2006 season). As Cowboy fan I believe that some of our units like LB, secondary and Dline have much more potential/upside, but are lacking in experience.

I consider the 3rd WR/HB/TE, PK and 3rd DB as starters in todays NFL.......(+3). In the case of the Commanders they've got Randle-El, John Hall and Priloeau (or Rumph) potentially manning those roles.

Their Oline and plus key blockers like Mike Sellars and Fauria on paper are second to none in the division and argument could be made they are in the top 3 within the conference.

Couple the blocking potential with an elite RB in Portis.

Their back-ups are as big a question mark as ours. Ditto with the Special teams.

They won 6 straight games down the stretch including a play-off win on the Road. Most of us Cowboy fans scoff at the giddyness over at Extreme. I can just imagine the cowboy faithful and media in if we add TO and Vanderjack after losing to the Seahawks in a Divisional Play-off game.

I think for the Commanders in comes down to if the starters can hold up for entire season. I say this because unlike the Commanders, our Cowboys will feature more of a rotation in the Defensive front 7. But the Skins counter with a very good running attack that keeps the Defense fresh. Any long term loss to Jansen, Samuels, Thomas or Rabach woudl cripple the Oline (See Flozell in 05). How they held up with Ray Brown last year is a miracle.

Their defense is aggressive, but every time I watch them... Parcells quote from from previous and present training camps keeps coming up "We're going to wish they blitz".

The 45 man rosters are pretty even for the entire division. I think that is why every expert is stating the division is the best in the NFL.

Anyway, it's Sunday Morning. In a month these hours will be spent preping for Sunday football. I am Cowboy fan living in Commander territory so I thought I throw in my two sense.

I was with you on the 22 starters. After that you lost me.

Hall is a mediocre kicker, Rumph or Pierleau wouldn't make our roster. Randel El would make a quite good 3rd WR and special teamer. But when you start talking depth there really is no comparison. Almost to a man any team in the division would have an edge over the Skins. They have zero OL depth, the DL depth is Demtric Evans, Renaldo Wynn and people no one has ever heard of.

The Skins will lead the league in undrafted players on a roster.

The Skins will go as far their top 25 can take them. But there is a sense of stupidity in building a roster that way. Same way there is in treating draft picks like scratch off lottery tickets.

Mansta54

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I was with you on the 22 starters. After that you lost me.

Hall is a mediocre kicker, Rumph or Pierleau wouldn't make our roster. Randel El would make a quite good 3rd WR and special teamer. But when you start talking depth there really is no comparison. Almost to a man any team in the division would have an edge over the Skins. They have zero OL depth, the DL depth is Demtric Evans, Renaldo Wynn and people no one has ever heard of.

The Skins will lead the league in undrafted players on a roster.

The Skins will go as far their top 25 can take them. But there is a sense of stupidity in building a roster that way. Same way there is in treating draft picks like scratch off lottery tickets.

Well said!!!:hammer:

burmafrd

Reaction score
Charles is one of those always pessimistic types about us and optimistic about the enemy. We have better starting WR and TE and at least 2 positions on the DL, LB, Secondary. So how in the WORLD do you get this best 22 BS. I give them the edge only at RB, part of the O line, maybe one or two spots in the DL and LB, and Taylor in the Backfield. That is all.

Mansta54

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Charles is one of those always pessimistic types about us and optimistic about the enemy. We have better starting WR and TE and at least 2 positions on the DL, LB, Secondary. So how in the WORLD do you get this best 22 BS. I give them the edge only at RB, part of the O line, maybe one or two spots in the DL and LB, and Taylor in the Backfield. That is all.

Ahh, gimmie ROY over Taylor any day of the week...

burmafrd

Reaction score
ROY is a SS and Taylor is a FS. Roy is better then Archuleta and Taylor is better then either Davis or Watkins. Our CB's are BOTH better then any one of the Skins; as a matter of fact Glenn is pretty close to their best.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Am I the only one that noticed since the Skins have been pathetic in preseason the Commander trolls have not shown up on the board. Usually 3-4 of them would be in this thread by now