My take on the Commanders

scottsp

Reaction score
Individually, I guess you could make some cases, but as a unit, their offensive line is is definitely superior. No question about it.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I would evaluate the positions like this. (To compensate for the 3-4/4-3 difference, I will count Ellis as an end)

QB - Bledsoe or Brunell......... Toss-up
RB - Jones or Portis ......... Washington (Not close)
RB2 - Barber or Betts ....... Dallas (Not close)
TE - Witten or Fauria .... Dallas (Not close)
HB - Fasano or Cooley ..... Washington
WR - Owens or Moss ..... Dallas
WR2 - Lloyd or Glenn ...... Dallas
WR3 - Crayton or Randle El ...... Washington
RT - Colombo or Jansen ...... Washington (Not close)
RG - Thomas or Riveria ...... Toss-up
C - Gurode or Rabach ......... Washington
LG - Kosier or Dockery ..... Toss-up
LT - Adams or Samuels.... Washington

DLE - Ellis or Carter ..... Dallas
DT - Spears or Griffin ........ Washington (Not close)
DT - Ferguson or Salavea .... Dallas (Not close)
DRE Canty or Daniels ...... Washington
SLB - Ayodele or Washington ..... Washington (Not close)
MLB - James or Marshall ...... Dallas
WLB - Ware or Holdman ...... Dallas (Not close)
CB - Newman or Springs ..... Dallas (Not close)
CB2 - Henry or Rogers ..... Dallas (Not close)
CB3 - Glenn or Wright ..... Dallas (Not close)
SS - Roy or Archuleta ....... Dallas (Not close)
FS - Davis or Taylor ....... Washington (Not close)

K - Vanderjagt or Hall ...... Dallas (Not close)
P - McBriar or Frost ...... Dallas

Positions I would take Dallas starter: 14
Positions I would take Washington starter: 10
Toss-ups: 3

So, assuming all 3 toss-ups went to Washington, I'd say the rosters were pretty even. If all 3 toss-ups went to Dallas, I'd say Dallas has an advantage. They have a better line and running game. We have a better recieving corps. We have a better secondary. We have better depth.

But when you go further down the roster and start talking depth, I think the Cowboys have a huge advantage.

Mansta54

Reaction score
cobra said:
I would evaluate the positions like this. (To compensate for the 3-4/4-3 difference, I will count Ellis as an end)

QB - Bledsoe or Brunell......... Toss-up
RB - Jones or Portis ......... Washington (Not close)
RB2 - Barber or Betts ....... Dallas (Not close)
TE - Witten or Fauria .... Dallas (Not close)
HB - Fasano or Cooley ..... Washington
WR - Owens or Moss ..... Dallas
WR2 - Lloyd or Glenn ...... Dallas
WR3 - Crayton or Randle El ...... Washington
RT - Colombo or Jansen ...... Washington (Not close)
RG - Thomas or Riveria ...... Toss-up
C - Gurode or Rabach ......... Washington
LT - Adams or Samuels.... Washington

DLE - Ellis or Carter ..... Dallas
DT - Spears or Griffin ........ Washington (Not close)
DT - Ferguson or Salavea .... Dallas (Not close)
DRE Canty or Daniels ...... Washington
SLB - Ayodele or Washington ..... Washington (Not close)
MLB - James or Marshall ...... Dallas
WLB - Ware or Holdman ...... Dallas (Not close)
CB - Newman or Springs ..... Dallas (Not close)
CB2 - Henry or Rogers ..... Dallas (Not close)
CB3 - Glenn or Wright ..... Dallas (Not close)
SS - Roy or Archuleta ....... Dallas (Not close)
FS - Davis or Taylor ....... Washington (Not close)

K - Vanderjagt or Hall ...... Dallas (Not close)
P - McBriar or Frost ...... Dallas

Positions I would take Dallas starter: 14
Positions I would take Washington starter: 10
Toss-ups: 3

So, assuming all 3 toss-ups went to Washington, I'd say the rosters were pretty even. If all 3 toss-ups went to Dallas, I'd say Dallas has an advantage. They have a better line and running game. We have a better recieving corps. We have a better secondary. We have better depth.

But when you go further down the roster and start talking depth, I think the Cowboys have a huge advantage.

Ahh, gimmie Gurode over Rabach and Adams over Samuels any day.. Nice job by the way!!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
I wold argue that a healthy Rivera is better. ANd I think LT is a push as well when the Hotel is healthy. Daniels better then Canty- we shall see. And a healthy Crayton is a better receiver then Randle El, though El can do some other things- so that is a push as well.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
I am a huge Cowboys fan, but I am seriously worried that Washington has more team unity. I think they have the ability to beat us with plain heart and unity. Time will tell, but I am more worried about Washington than I am of NY.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cobra said:
Gauging the reports which have come out of camp, along with his very mediocre pre-Cowboy resume, I think it's safe to say that it's Dockery over Kosier at this point. It might not even be close, either.

clayman

Reaction score
Charles said:
I have watched the Commanders 2 preseason games and of course since they are Divisional Rivals you gotta keep tabs on what they are doing. They've been very vanilla on offense, struggled like most teams in preseason, but have shown glimpses. So far, Randle-El and Lylod have made big plays, with the Oline giving Brunnel time and a clean pocket. Few balls have gone to Moss or Cooley their primary receiving targets last year..........we know that ain't happening come September. Gibbs will pull out the Iron chef recipes.

IMHO, I think they have the best Starting 22 (+3) in the NFC East. This is not indication of being more talented at every position, but the starting units on paper appear to better overall in talent, experience and potential(2006 season). As Cowboy fan I believe that some of our units like LB, secondary and Dline have much more potential/upside, but are lacking in experience.

I consider the 3rd WR/HB/TE, PK and 3rd DB as starters in todays NFL.......(+3). In the case of the Commanders they've got Randle-El, John Hall and Priloeau (or Rumph) potentially manning those roles.

Their Oline and plus key blockers like Mike Sellars and Fauria on paper are second to none in the division and argument could be made they are in the top 3 within the conference.

Couple the blocking potential with an elite RB in Portis.

Their back-ups are as big a question mark as ours. Ditto with the Special teams.

They won 6 straight games down the stretch including a play-off win on the Road. Most of us Cowboy fans scoff at the giddyness over at Extreme. I can just imagine the cowboy faithful and media in if we add TO and Vanderjack after losing to the Seahawks in a Divisional Play-off game.

I think for the Commanders in comes down to if the starters can hold up for entire season. I say this because unlike the Commanders, our Cowboys will feature more of a rotation in the Defensive front 7. But the Skins counter with a very good running attack that keeps the Defense fresh. Any long term loss to Jansen, Samuels, Thomas or Rabach woudl cripple the Oline (See Flozell in 05). How they held up with Ray Brown last year is a miracle.

Their defense is aggressive, but every time I watch them... Parcells quote from from previous and present training camps keeps coming up "We're going to wish they blitz".

The 45 man rosters are pretty even for the entire division. I think that is why every expert is stating the division is the best in the NFL.

Anyway, it's Sunday Morning. In a month these hours will be spent preping for Sunday football. I am Cowboy fan living in Commander territory so I thought I throw in my two sense.

as your sig pic projects.....Welcome to the Layer Cake. :laugh2:

cowboys41fe

Reaction score
I don't agree with you on this one... I live in Northern Virginia about 20 minutes from Fed Ex so I get a healthy dose of the Deadskins... First of all it was proven last year when C. Griffin wasn't playing they got no pass rush what so ever... I saw he go down against the Jets... With Porter injured the Skins will have problems... He may be able to run but how will he do as far as blocking on passing situations, will he be able to lift his arm...

As far as backups at QB if Brunell goes down so goes the season... Also I think because they have too much at WR it's going to be a issue at some point... Someone isn't going to be happy because there won't be enough balls to go around... As far as CB is concerned, Shawn Springs has had problems this offseason and I can't see him being 100% when the season starts... Losing Lavar will be huge as far as him being the heart and soul of the team... And let's face it, everyone in the division improved so it's not going to be as easy as you think...

Just my opinion but Dallas had the best offseason within the division.... TO alone is better than both of their WR's they picked up... We got the better PK in MV... Picking up Fabini was a steal... Don't forget the veteren leadership in M Coleman from Houston... And the biggest asset might be a healthy Crayton... I'll go with Romo over their backups anyday....

Mr. Pigskin

Reaction score
Im a cowboys fan and I live in Maryland and your analysis of the Commanders is dead wrong. Lavar wasnt the heart and soul of anything. He barely played? As for the recievers, Im pretty sure they know they their role and its not like any of their additions were #1 recievers at any time.