My take on the Commanders

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BigDFan5 said:
Am I the only one that noticed since the Skins have been pathetic in preseason the Commander trolls have not shown up on the board. Usually 3-4 of them would be in this thread by now

And, that surprises you?

You think they are a no-show now, just wait till after week 2, you won't see a roach within 20 miles of this place!

That's how RedStinks are...someone drops a crumb on the floor, here they come running....

We have not seen too many RedStinks for the last 7 or 8 years, and this year, there have been about 342,987,355,112 of them show up here this year! Now, they all must have crawled back to that dump they call ExtremeStinks...to be with all the other roaches...

:dissskin:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I really dont see how the Skins have th best 22 starters in this division...I think they probably have the best OL in the division...I think they have the best coaching staff in the division...after that though

1) Brunell played ok last yr, but his arm strength continues to dwindle away...can he repeat last yrs unexpected performance? doubtful...I wouldnt take him over any of the other 3 teams QB's

2) they have the most expensive WR trio in football, but the best in the division? hardly...better than Philly I'd agree, but no way they are better than the Owens-Glenn-Witten trio here

3) on defense, honestly who on Washington's D starts ahead of the same position here in Dallas? I'd gladly take Cornelius Griffin over Jason Ferguson, Marcus Washington over whomever we start at OLB opp Ware and I guess you could say Taylor over K Davis... but thats about it...the Giants front 7 is more talented than the Skins, and Philly's front 4 is alot more talented as well...I'd take Philly's DB's over Washington's too

David

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I watched the Deadskins also and I have a diffrent view that you. They do have some good starters but we are already seeign the effects of them being very top heavy. They have not had a depth behind there starters and it showing up on the field. They gave up close to 200 yds rushing yesterday and even in pre-season that is not good. They were forced to sign a couple of players last week who was on the street, Posey etc. And trade for Mike Rumph who they hope can replace S.Springs until he comes back. There first team offense has looked bad and it is not going to get better with Portis stting out. They have some concerns right not and even though it is early.

scottsp

Reaction score
Washington has a huge edge in the offensive line. Their running game is very good and their defense is tough. That is Joe Gibbs football. For some reason, he has always been partial to smaller wideouts, even in this day and age. But whatever. Seems to work nicely for them.

They will be well coached and as long as Mark Brunell can manage their offense, they should be ok on that side.

Depth is indeed an issue for them, but they are not alone there.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Charles said:
I have watched the Commanders 2 preseason games and of course since they are Divisional Rivals you gotta keep tabs on what they are doing. They've been very vanilla on offense, struggled like most teams in preseason, but have shown glimpses. So far, Randle-El and Lylod have made big plays, with the Oline giving Brunnel time and a clean pocket. Few balls have gone to Moss or Cooley their primary receiving targets last year..........we know that ain't happening come September. Gibbs will pull out the Iron chef recipes.

IMHO, I think they have the best Starting 22 (+3) in the NFC East. This is not indication of being more talented at every position, but the starting units on paper appear to better overall in talent, experience and potential(2006 season). As Cowboy fan I believe that some of our units like LB, secondary and Dline have much more potential/upside, but are lacking in experience.

I consider the 3rd WR/HB/TE, PK and 3rd DB as starters in todays NFL.......(+3). In the case of the Commanders they've got Randle-El, John Hall and Priloeau (or Rumph) potentially manning those roles.

Their Oline and plus key blockers like Mike Sellars and Fauria on paper are second to none in the division and argument could be made they are in the top 3 within the conference.

Couple the blocking potential with an elite RB in Portis.

Their back-ups are as big a question mark as ours. Ditto with the Special teams.

They won 6 straight games down the stretch including a play-off win on the Road. Most of us Cowboy fans scoff at the giddyness over at Extreme. I can just imagine the cowboy faithful and media in if we add TO and Vanderjack after losing to the Seahawks in a Divisional Play-off game.

I think for the Commanders in comes down to if the starters can hold up for entire season. I say this because unlike the Commanders, our Cowboys will feature more of a rotation in the Defensive front 7. But the Skins counter with a very good running attack that keeps the Defense fresh. Any long term loss to Jansen, Samuels, Thomas or Rabach woudl cripple the Oline (See Flozell in 05). How they held up with Ray Brown last year is a miracle.

Their defense is aggressive, but every time I watch them... Parcells quote from from previous and present training camps keeps coming up "We're going to wish they blitz".

The 45 man rosters are pretty even for the entire division. I think that is why every expert is stating the division is the best in the NFL.

Anyway, it's Sunday Morning. In a month these hours will be spent preping for Sunday football. I am Cowboy fan living in Commander territory so I thought I throw in my two sense.
I heard on Sportscenter last night that the Skins offense has yet to score a td???
Is that true?

MONT17

Reaction score
the Skins are built like a Baseball team... the only thing is in baseball the trade deadline isnt 6 weeks after the season start!!!

let me just say this if u think the SKins are a Super Bowl team then u dont know the NFL!

I cannot wait till the season starts and all of the Commanders fans can recap the 05 season for us each week!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
I would argue they have a HUGE edge on the O line. A healthy Hotel and Rivera is as good as anyone they have. Center is about a wash; only at RT and LG do they have a real edge.

Bone

Reaction score
The Defensive line besides Cornelius Griffin is nothing special. For Goodness Sake they are throwing I think they will struggle to stop the run or rush the passer without constant blitzing. So they will continue to be vulnerable in the play action passing game. Well that's my too cents.

Bone
out.

Bizwah

Reaction score
random Cs said:
What make's you say that?

Who would he make the team over?

Roy Williams? Well, we know that won't happen.

Keith Davis? No....Davis is an elite special teamer. He's also made a ton of strides in camp. Even the "hating" Dallas media has said that FS is no longer a concern for Dallas.

Pat Watkins? No....He's turned a lot of heads both Ron Wolf and Chuck Fairbanks have said that he's going to be a "special" player.

Abram Elam? Maybe....But Elam has played very well, and was everywhere against Seattle.

Marcus Coleman? Maybe...But Coleman can play three spots (CB, FS, SS).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
random Cs said:
Because we will cut guys who are better DBs.

If you are confused just look over the depth chart. We have 3 or 4 guys who would qualify as the Skins nickel DB were they on your roster.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
random Cs said:

Probably the fact that the guy was sitting on his couch and we never bothered to give him a jingle. Hard to make the team when you can't even sniff the camp.

SS

random Cs

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
Keith Davis? No....Davis is an elite special teamer. He's also made a ton of strides in camp. Even the "hating" Dallas media has said that FS is no longer a concern for Dallas.
Pierson is also an elite special teams player; he was in Buffalo, and he has the experience over KD.

Abram Elam? Maybe....But Elam has played very well, and was everywhere against Seattle.
Errrr... Pierson > Rapist... ;)
j/k

jterrell said:
Because we will cut guys who are better DBs.
Pierson > KD.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
random Cs said:
Pierson is also an elite special teams player; he was in Buffalo, and he has the experience over KD.

j/k

Pierson > KD.

He's also a washout that is a mere shell of his former self. You don't sit for that long because you're an "ace" at your job. Guys like this get signed out of desperation not because they are the missing piece to a Super Bowl squad.:rolleyes:

This looks more like an Adrian Murrell signing than a Rodney Harrison signing. But, hell, sing his praises. Just don't be surprised when the choir thinks your song sucks.

SS

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
random Cs said:

j/k

Pierson > KD.

No, Pierson is not better than KD. KD finished fourth on the Boys last year in tackles and he was team's top special teams tackler. He outweighs Pierson by 20 pounds. Pierson's experience is nothing like starting 15 games last year and being the team's top special teams player 3 years running.

Pierson and Marcus Coleman are arguable but Coleman still covers better, and is bigger.

All that said, Pierson is an NFL player but Wash will keep Dbs who are not. Guys like Ade Jimoh et al. They are horrid. You will be signing guys who were late cuts the way we used to do on the DL.
When teams lack depth is becomes crystal clear and the Skins are transparently thin.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I figure injuries and field goal kicking are going to be the determining factors in the division.

I actually think the Skins have the best starting roster in the NFC, but their depth is extremely weak.

I think their major question marks are depth, Brunnell (good when healthy, but in each of the last 5 years he's gotten hurt and he's a completely lesser QB when hurt), nickel CB, J. Hall, and their weakside backers.

Still, you would think that a team that pays their coaching staff as much as they do would have no reason not to be a SB contender. ;)

Rich......

random Cs

Reaction score
skinsscalper said:
He's also a washout that is a mere shell of his former self. You don't sit for that long because you're an "ace" at your job. Guys like this get signed out of desperation not because they are the missing piece to a Super Bowl squad.:rolleyes:

This looks more like an Adrian Murrell signing than a Rodney Harrison signing. But, hell, sing his praises. Just don't be surprised when the choir thinks your song sucks.

SS
:confused:
I'm confused. Pierson's only 29, I think you're confusing him with someone else. btw, Adrian Murrell? Wha?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think the Skins do have a very good starting 22 in the NFL. Their season will hinge upon the health of their O-line and overall running game.

If Portis goes down, they won't be as effective but Betts can be a decent stopgap. However, if the injury bug bites their line, they are going to have a lot of problems.

If you are a Skins fan, there's a lot to like about their front seven. You have to hope that they don't wear down as they don't have quite the rotation that Dallas does.

This is going to be an exciting season. I just want to remind everyone not to sleep on the Eagles; last year was the blip on the radar, they'll be back in the hunt this year.