My takeaway so far after first two series of all or nothing

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Zeke was pouty as Hell. It bugged me because he let his demeanor drag the whole team down. I love Dez, but boy is he not very smart. I can honestly see why the team was resigned to letting him walk, and I strongly advocated for them to keep him. It made me sad though, because you can tell he really cares, he's just not that smart and doesn't know how to really be an adult/professional. Hell, he can barely string coherent sentences together. Zeke also acted like a spoiled brat half the time. I hope he gets back to being happy and a leader this year. It seems like he's been focusing hard on football and putting alot of work in at the Star this offseason. It was kind of scary that Garrett beat Dak in most of their accuracy competitions too.

I don't get why people are upset with Zeke after watching this show...

What do you expect from the guy?

IMO, Zeke is just chillin. He's still a child and you can tell that.

My problem with him is coming into the season heavier. No excuse for that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Garrett knows his football but he's not a leader. First meeting with all the coaches and the first time he addresses them nobody is looking at him. If it was me I would say " listen everyone, all eyes on me! If you guys don't give me your attention you can only hear me, I need you listen and pay attention to me!". That and I wouldn't allow jerry and son in the coaches meetings. That right there is embarrassing. Same goes for when he addresses his team especially for the first time.
2. Zeke is annoying and I hope he can straighten himself out for this upcoming season and get his head on right and be inshape. Can't stand seeing him always playing with his facial hair and the hair on his head. It's annoying. Even did it the whole time at Wittens retirement yesterday.
3. Dez is dumb and that's ok. I would have kept dez because he is a baller. I think the distractions and stupidity are minimal and I think his heart and spirit mean more to the team but it is what it is.
4. If the female joneses ran this team we would have 7 titles and counting

lol you wouldn't allow the owner.... that is hilarious. This is why successful coaches come here only when they need more cash. If the owners coddling would ever sop and let jason or whoever take real control over the players things would be different. Stephen has stepped up some in that regard but still too many chiefs and not enough disciplin.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I mess with my beard basically anytime I'm thinking critically. I don't know why, but its my thing and I've stopped worrying about it.

I see other guys doing it all the time. Funny thing is, when there's a difficult problem to be solved and you just see a row of engineers (including me) all messing with their beards unaware that each is doing it.

Zeke must be a genius

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
Not all coaches are X's and O's guys but how in the H3LL can Garrett not be if he was an O coordinator? That is more of an indictment on the Jones's than on Garrett for hiring someone who doesn't know how to do the job. I always thought it was mostly Tony Romo. My theory was proven correct this past year while listening to him in the booth.

I personally can accept a coach that is not 100% on X's and O's. Jimmy wasn't but he was far and above a better leader of men especially in the psych department. Clapping, speeches, and fanny patting is not going to win football games. People need to be scared not to do their jobs.
I don't think any of us really know how much of an "Xs and Os" guy Jason really is. We might draw conclusions based on the effectiveness of the plays he called as an OC.

But I think we forget that the series only showed a small sliver of what goes on behind the scenes at the Star. There were plenty of meetings and white board sessions that happened off camera during the filming. There is no way they would let the cameras have access to any type of play design or strategy discussion.

So, I do think there's a case to be made about Jason's knowledge (or lack thereof) about the details of the game, but I'm not sure that the absence of the topic of X's and O's in the series can be used to effectively bolster that argument.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't think any of us really know how much of an "Xs and Os" guy Jason really is. We might draw conclusions based on the effectiveness of the plays he called as an OC.

But I think we forget that the series only showed a small sliver of what goes on behind the scenes at the Star. There were plenty of meetings and white board sessions that happened off camera during the filming. There is no way they would let the cameras have access to any type of play design or strategy discussion.

So, I do think there's a case to be made about Jason's knowledge (or lack thereof) about the details of the game, but I'm not sure that the absence of the topic of X's and O's in the series can be used to effectively bolster that argument.

Which is basically what I just said.... I am MORE concerned about Garrett's ability to lead men and motivate them properly from a psychological standpoint. I just haven't seen it. The team is never battle hardened unlike Jimmy's teams....

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
One Thing that particularly stood out for me ! Last episode the narrator made the comment after garrets last coaches meeting he said right after the coaches meeting ended - "and 1 minute later the 2018 season begins" --- and here is what stood out

SEAN LEE DOING FILM STUDY BY HIMSELF - I was impressed and annoyed why was noone else in there with him? Obvious lots of people should have been

Sean Lee is a monster i hope and pray when the time comes he ends up a coach for the cowboys!

This is why he is the heart and soul of this defense !

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You can not be an x and o guy but still be a football guy.

The guy breaths football, it’s been apart of his family for his entire life and he has been apart of the NFL for decades. He’s a football guy. When/if we fire him—-if he can’t find another head coaching gig, I would suspect him to get into announcing as well.

He has NO feel for the game. Horrid play caller, horrid game manager, horrid game planer, horrid at making adjustments, horrid at using his personnel, horrid at being an OC. Garrett is NOT a football guy in the true sense of the word. Nothing inspirational about him and he doesnt know how to push the right buttons. Clapping and patting fannies doesnt get it done.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course Garrett knows his football. The guy knows every single position on the field and every single intricacy of their responsibilities.
He has been immersed in football since birth....literally.
Good grief.

But that still doesn't mean he has a feel for in-game flow decision making or real time counter strategies. He's a bit stubborn that way.
And not so sure he's incredibly creative either.
That does not at all mean he doesn't know football inside and out.

Thats not what people mean when they say he isnt a football guy. Its about the feel for the game. The 6th sense about the game. In game management, pushing the right buttons. Out coaching the other guy on game day. being a strategist. Any moron can learn the ins and outs of the positions by memorization.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Zeke was pouty as Hell. It bugged me because he let his demeanor drag the whole team down. I love Dez, but boy is he not very smart. I can honestly see why the team was resigned to letting him walk, and I strongly advocated for them to keep him. It made me sad though, because you can tell he really cares, he's just not that smart and doesn't know how to really be an adult/professional. Hell, he can barely string coherent sentences together. Zeke also acted like a spoiled brat half the time. I hope he gets back to being happy and a leader this year. It seems like he's been focusing hard on football and putting alot of work in at the Star this offseason. It was kind of scary that Garrett beat Dak in most of their accuracy competitions too.

LOL...........OMG
Not all coaches are X's and O's guys but how in the H3LL can Garrett not be if he was an O coordinator? That is more of an indictment on the Jones's than on Garrett for hiring someone who doesn't know how to do the job. I always thought it was mostly Tony Romo. My theory was proven correct this past year while listening to him in the booth.

I personally can accept a coach that is not 100% on X's and O's. Jimmy wasn't but he was far and above a better leader of men especially in the psych department. Clapping, speeches, and fanny patting is not going to win football games. People need to be scared not to do their jobs.

romo saying Garrett is not an X and O guys is a nice way of saying he doesnt know football.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I mess with my beard basically anytime I'm thinking critically. I don't know why, but its my thing and I've stopped worrying about it.

I see other guys doing it all the time. Funny thing is, when there's a difficult problem to be solved and you just see a row of engineers (including me) all messing with their beards unaware that each is doing it.

Zeke must be a genius

Women twirl their hair. Same thing.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
He has NO feel for the game. Horrid play caller, horrid game manager, horrid game planer, horrid at making adjustments, horrid at using his personnel, horrid at being an OC. Garrett is NOT a football guy in the true sense of the word. Nothing inspirational about him and he doesnt know how to push the right buttons. Clapping and patting fannies doesnt get it done.

And yet his team won 13 games with a rookie QB. 12 Games with a Defense that was boardline horrible. 9 games with a Slumping 2nd Year QB, and 5 of the best players all missing time at the same time. So either the FO is doing a great job of finding talent that can overcome his horrible coaching and Jerry isn't the worst GM n the history of all sports or maybe Garrett can coach.. just a thought.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The only player that annoyed me was Dez, really. He just came across as totally lackluster, unmotivated, and uninterested. I can see why they cut him. Zeke, sure he was distracted, but it was more warranted. He is still young. He will be alright. The beard/hair thing I don't understand. Everybody has ticks when they're nervous, thinking, etc. etc.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And yet his team won 13 games with a rookie QB. 12 Games with a Defense that was boardline horrible. 9 games with a Slumping 2nd Year QB, and 5 of the best players all missing time at the same time. So either the FO is doing a great job of finding talent that can overcome his horrible coaching and Jerry isn't the worst GM n the history of all sports or maybe Garrett can coach.. just a thought.

8-8, 8-8, 8-8.....last year had we not beaten 3rd stringers 8-8. Garett is horrid. Playoff wins? How many? Maybe he cant coach.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
1. Garrett knows his football but he's not a leader. First meeting with all the coaches and the first time he addresses them nobody is looking at him. If it was me I would say " listen everyone, all eyes on me! If you guys don't give me your attention you can only hear me, I need you listen and pay attention to me!". That and I wouldn't allow jerry and son in the coaches meetings. That right there is embarrassing. Same goes for when he addresses his team especially for the first time.
2. Zeke is annoying and I hope he can straighten himself out for this upcoming season and get his head on right and be inshape. Can't stand seeing him always playing with his facial hair and the hair on his head. It's annoying. Even did it the whole time at Wittens retirement yesterday.
3. Dez is dumb and that's ok. I would have kept dez because he is a baller. I think the distractions and stupidity are minimal and I think his heart and spirit mean more to the team but it is what it is.
4. If the female joneses ran this team we would have 7 titles and counting

1. Watch the team meeting after the Broncos loss and tell me the team isn't paying attention. In the coaches meeting they are supposed to give a report on the their position. They are getting ready to do so after the opening comments. Jerry and son are the GM and VP. All teams have them in those meetings so they can tell what is up with their team.
2. Who cares how he fidgets? Get over it.
3. Dez was a distraction and did not produce while making $12m. He needed to go.
4. Cool story time. You have zero basis to support that prediction.