My thoughts on Dak and this Team

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What I cant understand is why no running plays wide such as sweeps ect.
Its like we only have 3 running plays up the gut in our playbook.
It's maddening.

We have actually run wide with some success this year.. Pollard has like 5 runs of over 20 yards on outside/off tackle runs and Zeke has a couple as well. The problem is that we just don't call them enough. I wish there was some other explanation other than Moore simply doesn't want to run the ball but I can't find any. The outside run plays work more often than not when we run them. The only thing I can think of is that maybe our defense reads them and blows them up in practice and that makes Moore not have any confidence in them? No matter how you slice it, you cannot have a successful running game if you refuse to run the ball anywhere but between the tackles and even then you only do it 2-3 times per quarter.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Teams that are really good have their key players playing up to or exceeding their contracts.

When you have large contracts and the player playing well below it, it kills your team because it ties up cap money and you can't keep quality players nor sign quality free agents.

Right now we have several large contracts that are not being lived up to.

1. Zeke, love the guy and he blocks his butt off, gets tough yards, but what else does he give you ?
2. Coop, Disappears several games a year.
3. Dlaw, has his moments, but has been hurt and not the consistent impact player he is being paid to be.
4. Dak, a Good but not elite player. Making elite QB dollars. We will win a lot of games with him, but he seems to really struggle against better teams. Really has a problem with being consistent with his mechanics.
I was really hoping that with Coach Mac being a QB guru that he could help Dak elevate his game and
improve.
And he did the first 7 games of the season.
But he has been so up and down the last 9 games.
I still have hope that whatever is broken can be fixed because we are tied to his contract with the guaranteed dollars.
I agree with all except DLaw and Cooper.

I am very comfortable with Gregory and DLaw at ends.

As far as Cooper goes, I am starting to truly believe it is Dak. Very few can argue that Cooper and Lamb are a luxury any QB would jump at the chance of having. I think Dak just isn’t the QB who can take advantage. Maybe they aren’t “open” according to Daks window but I’d bet a few paychecks that other QB’s would be able to get the ball to them. Might be riskier throws but top QB’s are supposed to be able to make those throws.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Totally amazes me how Kellen Moore repeatedly, gets a free pass from most of Dallas' fan base.

Not from me he don't. He might scheme up one or two clever plays a game but by and large his offense is every bit as predictable and vanilla as Garrett was accused of being. That's why it takes monster efforts for our guys to make plays.. because the defense all too often knows what is coming before we do..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We have actually run wide with some success this year.. Pollard has like 5 runs of over 20 yards on outside/off tackle runs and Zeke has a couple as well. The problem is that we just don't call them enough. I wish there was some other explanation other than Moore simply doesn't want to run the ball but I can't find any. The outside run plays work more often than not when we run them. The only thing I can think of is that maybe our defense reads them and blows them up in practice and that makes Moore not have any confidence in them? No matter how you slice it, you cannot have a successful running game if you refuse to run the ball anywhere but between the tackles and even then you only do it 2-3 times per quarter.

1000% !!!!

Remember Pollards 50 yard plus TD run on a wide run a few games ago?
I just don't understand this.
Mac is an offensive minded coach he needs to get in Moore's ear about this!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I agree with all except DLaw and Cooper.

I am very comfortable with Gregory and DLaw at ends.

As far as Cooper goes, I am starting to truly believe it is Dak. Very few can argue that Cooper and Lamb are a luxury any QB would jump at the chance of having. I think Dak just isn’t the QB who can take advantage. Maybe they aren’t “open” according to Daks window but I’d bet a few paychecks that other QB’s would be able to get the ball to them. Might be riskier throws but top QB’s are supposed to be able to make those throws.

I like DLaw as well.
Not just at his current salary.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
All points made are valid, I probably think Lawrence is a difference maker, big contract like the rest you cite.

someone else pointed it out, they ran the ball at will from weeks 2-5, I think about 200 per game almost, it allowed them to dictate to the defense on 2nd and 3rd downs because distance was short. That dried up and the offense has been stuck in neutral for 2+ months.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Not from me he don't. He might scheme up one or two clever plays a game but by and large his offense is every bit as predictable and vanilla as Garrett was accused of being. That's why it takes monster efforts for our guys to make plays.. because the defense all too often knows what is coming before we do..
Hope he gets another coaching gig somewhere else this offseason.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was hoping he took the Boise job last year.. but I get it he sees himself as an NFL coach .. I think he's wrong about that but whatever.. Just as long as he's not calling plays for Dallas after this season..
for sure !!!

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Knee Jerk reaction! from most fans. Typical Front runner mentality from others. Dallas Cowboys are 11-5 and headed to the playoffs. Quiet frankly to be truthful with you we are a starting WR, RB, LB CB away. We could use a Stout DT. Our TE blocks like hot garbage Tyron Smith is getting past it. That boy used him on a couple of crucial plays. But of course carry on .
The Playoffs are here and I for one am going to enjoy a successful Year and see how far this thing goes, who knows. Super Bowls nor tomorrow isn't promised

Aven8

Reaction score
It's not about smarts.. it's about want to. and I don't think Moore wants to run the ball. I can see no signs of it in his play calling and demeanor. Aside from when Jerry called him out after the Tampa game and we went on that nice run using the running game he has been extremely reluctant to let it be anything but an afterthought.. That's who he is.. and I'm afraid he has taken Dak along with him because Dak certainly has as much power on the field to audible TO run plays just as he does away from them..

It makes sense for his Boise days. But guess what? Kingsbury was the same way at Tech. But he learned running the football is a must in this league.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Not have a balanced offence with a run game is certainly a part of the problem.
Only having 3 running plays in our playbook does not help either.
I think that’s where Kellen‘s immaturity comes in as an OC. Not very elaborate when it comes to the running game and not enough patience to allow it to unfold.

Aven8

Reaction score
I dont know if we cant run the ball or Moore wont run the ball.
I would love for us to try a variaty of running plays.

Well running the ball up the gut for two won’t do it. I promise you if this continues we’re done. Mike was so adamant on our early winning streak about running the ball and now the backs were ailing and kaput. Gone. It’s our ticket to the SB

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think that’s where Kellen‘s immaturity comes in as an OC. Not very elaborate when it comes to the running game and not enough patience to allow it to unfold.
Yep, we need more diversity in the running game.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well running the ball up the gut for two won’t do it. I promise you if this continues we’re done. Mike was so adamant on our early winning streak about running the ball and now the backs were ailing and kaput. Gone. It’s our ticket to the SB
Mike is the head coach
He needs to take charge

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Year after year after year, every time I think the Cowboys have rounded the corner… put on a helmet - because I’m about to get my head kicked in.
It can be frustrating to follow our team.
I just try to enjoy them one game at a time
And keep my expectations reasonable.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
The players have won the contract negotiation negotiations.
It’s a mess. Of course players deserve their money but the flaw is top dogs eat too much of the goose. No matter what the cap increase is the agent calculates the increase into his negotiation. Have i got it wrong