My thoughts on Dak and this Team

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I thought it was obvious I was referring to Dak and our Offense? My apologies. I should have been more clear.
You probably were clear, I can be dense at times, lol
I believe our offenses inconsistencies is our major problem at this time.
Hope this gets fixed before the playoffs or we will have a short stay.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Am I correct Dak wanted 4 yrs Jerry foolishly wanted to tie up $$ for 5 and Dak won the bluff for a 4 yr deal ? So # 4 will only be under contract three more yrs after this season ? That’s three yrs to figure out if a guy who will only be in his early 30’s by then is either the “ guy “ or goodbye. I’m glad it’s only a 4 yr deal with three remaining .
It's a boondoggle !
If he plays great, we either lose him or pay big bucks.
If he stinks we are screwed because of his guaranteed money.
We are in a pickle either way.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Teams that are really good have their key players playing up to or exceeding their contracts.

When you have large contracts and the player playing well below it, it kills your team because it ties up cap money and you can't keep quality players nor sign quality free agents.

Right now we have several large contracts that are not being lived up to.

1.Zeke , is not the same last 2 years. Time to bring in new blood next year.
2. Coop, had injuries and out a few games , after he came back doesnt seem to be on the same page as Dak. May be both have faults.
3.Dlaw does play hard when he plays , but good tackles able to handle him , not in the same league Myles G, D.Ware
4. Agreed on Dak , paid like elite but he is never elite QB but an above average one (with whom can win most games) I can’t understand why the guys mechanics get thrown out of the window when he gets confused by D arrangements which is a double whammy.

As parcells put it “ It is what it is , You are what you are “. We are a 11-5 team in a poor division beating up div opponents and average against the league.

So now its all in coaching, coming out with game plans which will put these guys in best position to win against every different opponents will determine the outcome.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
2. Coop, had injuries and out a few games , after he came back doesnt seem to be on the same page as Dak. May be both have faults.
3.Dlaw does play hard when he plays , but good tackles able to handle him , not in the same league Myles G, D.Ware
4. Agreed on Dak , paid like elite but he is never elite QB but an above average one (with whom can win most games) I can’t understand why the guys mechanics get thrown out of the window when he gets confused by D arrangements which is a double whammy.

As parcells put it “ It is what it is , You are what you are “. We are a 11-5 team in a poor division beating up div opponents and average against the league.

So now its all in coaching, coming out with game plans which will put these guys in best position to win against every different opponents will determine the outcome.
Thanks agree with your post.
Hopefully our experienced HC will be able to put our players in a position to win.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Yeah the question is.. is it more on Dak or more on Moore? Or is it 50/50. I think part of the problem is Dak believes everything Moore tells him.. because Moore is smart and speaks authoritatively when talking offensive football and I think Dak eats it up. What Dak needs to realize is that football aint played "in theory." On the field stuff aint always clean and the formulas don't always add up. Sometimes you just have to be better than the other guy.. Period. I would really like to see us try and get back to "I'm better than you" football as opposed to "I'm smarter than you." Yes I'm smarter than you looks really cool when you actually ARE smarter than the other team.. but these good DCs the past several weeks have proven that we aint smarter than them. So we need to figure out how to be better than them. I think that starts up front. We need to be more physical and less finesse in the run game. I would take a long hard look at moving Collins to LG and start Steele at RT. We have a power deficit at LG and Center and that move would remove half that deficit.
I think you think too much about what Dak is thinking . . and all this thinking is making you look not smart

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think I should probably add Tyron Smith
To the list of players who's performance is living up to their contract.
Unavailability due to injuries being the biggest culprit.

75boyz

Reaction score

Excellent post.

RonWashington

Reaction score
It's a boondoggle !
If he plays great, we either lose him or pay big bucks.
If he stinks we are screwed because of his guaranteed money.
We are in a pickle either way.

No I look at it like this I would rather have him for three more yrs on the books and then see what’s what. These long deals saddle a club and it’s never ending .

Einstein

Reaction score
When did Dak's brother pass again? Anyone think that might be part of his issues since they seem to be somewhat mental...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
When did Dak's brother pass again? Anyone think that might be part of his issues since they seem to be somewhat mental...
Good point
That had to be rough
But I think last season?
He played so well the first 7 games.
Don't know, mental health is very tricky

zeke21

Reaction score
Excellent points.. the main one being that carrying 'dead' money in a capped league doesn't work. Dead money is 'dead' money but also is money being spent on guys under performing.. or guys injured too.

Essentially to win in a capped league you need every dollar to be performing at or above the level. Now NO team is going to get that.. but that is the aim.

Right now we carry far too much 'dead' money.. and the four you mentioned are right up there.

And that hurts us in other positions and our depth too. The drop off between our 'first choice' and depth is too much. You simply can't carry bloated contracts.. especially not the highest QB contract for a guy that is barely mediocre at this point.

I do believe that Zeke could deliver but he got paid FAR too much (and I'm a fan!) and that meant he was always going to be dead money.. and throw in an injury and its hard.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Excellent points.. the main one being that carrying 'dead' money in a capped league doesn't work. Dead money is 'dead' money but also is money being spent on guys under performing.. or guys injured too.

Essentially to win in a capped league you need every dollar to be performing at or above the level. Now NO team is going to get that.. but that is the aim.

Right now we carry far too much 'dead' money.. and the four you mentioned are right up there.

And that hurts us in other positions and our depth too. The drop off between our 'first choice' and depth is too much. You simply can't carry bloated contracts.. especially not the highest QB contract for a guy that is barely mediocre at this point.

I do believe that Zeke could deliver but he got paid FAR too much (and I'm a fan!) and that meant he was always going to be dead money.. and throw in an injury and its hard.
You got it!
If you don't maximize your cap dollars
You won't be competitive for long.
Really our great drafts of cheap talent are covering some really bad contracts.

zeke21

Reaction score
You got it!
If you don't maximize your cap dollars
You won't be competitive for long.
Really our great drafts of cheap talent are covering some really bad contracts.
Yep. Which is why I was more in favour of Dak when we were paying him rookie wages.. you were getting MORE than money worth.

Owners need to get a lot smarter.. and unfortunately our FO is one of the dumbest in the league.

So much bloat.. so much paying for hype that WE create because they are Cowboys.. we pay overs for just about everybody and its been happening for ages.