My thoughts on Jason Garrett

Eskimo

Reaction score
Garrett's done a good job rebuilding the team, however, he's going to have to it again next year now that like half of his players are leaving in FA.

That's the challenge of a hard cap league. It is very hard to maintain a talented roster because you just cannot afford to keep all the pieces. This is where we have failed in the past - Jerry kept re-signing most of his vets and usually above market value. This path leads you to an old roster, lots of dead money and a bunch of injuries in December without adequate depth.

So the organization now has a solid base but they have to keep churning the roster to bring in young, cheap players and develop them into contributors. They need to keep scouring FA for cheap vets who underperformed on their prior teams. This is the nature of the modern NFL.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
To be fair, there are still people who think the team is winning in spite of Garrett. :D

That might be the case.

But I would say the case could be made that Jason has the team buying what he is selling.

So, winning in spite of him might be directly related to only specific things. Ie. Jerry picking coordinators, coordinators calling better games, defense playing for the DC.

All in all I don't care. Win it all and ALL get credit.

Let Jerry hoist trophy before Garrett for Ali care.
Let Jerry make his, "we did it our way" speech.

Me no care.... Win win win!!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Exactly. JG wants to take credit for this grand plan, yet if it wasn't for Marinelli refusing to pick Shariff Floyd, FredBeard wouldn't even be here.

Funny how this "grand" plan shows up and is talked about after the fact. Do you think this plan would have been talked about this much had the picks been busts? I doubt it.

Why isn't there any talk about the "grand" plan to rebuild the secondary? After all, we spent as much resources on building the secondary (Carr and Claiborn) as we did on the OL. The reason we don't hear about it is because both Carr and Cliaborn has been busts.

You could say the same thing about Belichick's "plan" to draft Tom Brady in the 6th round, Sean Peyton's "plan" to get Drew Brees run out of San Diego so he could come to New Orleans, and Indy's "plan" to collapse as a team in the one year that Andrew Luck was available.

Good fortune comes into play for every successful team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. JG wants to take credit for this grand plan, yet if it wasn't for Marinelli refusing to pick Shariff Floyd, FredBeard wouldn't even be here.

Funny how this "grand" plan shows up and is talked about after the fact. Do you think this plan would have been talked about this much had the picks been busts? I doubt it.

Why isn't there any talk about the "grand" plan to rebuild the secondary? After all, we spent as much resources on building the secondary (Carr and Claiborn) as we did on the OL. The reason we don't hear about it is because both Carr and Cliaborn has been busts.

The Cowboys put themselves in the position to have some luck. They could have pick somebody other than Fred when the traded down and that pick could have failed. They made the right pick regardless of how it happened.

Back in the early nineties, Jimmy put the Cowboys in position to get lucky by getting a lot of draft picks. They were lucky they ended up with Emmitt, but with Jimmy's process they were going to end up with some luck somewhere. Jimmy didn't worry about the missed picks, he just focused on the ones that worked out. He cut two 3rd round picks as rookies and I doubt if he ever thought about them again.

Most people that get lucky have put themselves into a position to take advantage of opportunity when it arises.

Reaction score
I saw great things in Garrett from day one. I never doubted his ability, but I did, and do doubt the ability of the gm.

There were always some things about Garrett that wouldn't let me write him off, one being that he has to deal with the gray-haired gremlin when putting this team together, but when I read about the 3 year plan and saw how his mindset is being imparted on the team it cemented my belief that he can succeed. He's got a decent working relationship with Jerry and might be able to avoid some of the future Manziel type mistakes,,,, there might even be hope for Jerry here!

Zman5

Reaction score
You could say the same thing about Belichick's "plan" to draft Tom Brady in the 6th round, Sean Peyton's "plan" to get Drew Brees run out of San Diego so he could come to New Orleans, and Indy's "plan" to collapse as a team in the one year that Andrew Luck was available.

Good fortune comes into play for every successful team.

Difference is Belichick never came out and said they had this grand plan to draft Brady. In fact, I've heard him imply that he got lucky how Brady was "found" when Bledsoe got hurt.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Difference is Belichick never came out and said they had this grand plan to draft Brady. In fact, I've heard him imply that he got lucky how Brady was "found" when Bledsoe got hurt.

Then Belichick and I are in agreement.

Sounds good.

Eskimo

Reaction score

But he did got lucky with Brady just like Parcells got lucky with Romo (most credit should go to Sean Peyton). Garrett had luck in that he inherited a team with a widely acknowledged top 10 QB.

Garrett knew the OL had to be rebuilt. He invested a top-10 pick in his first draft for a new LT, something Jerry basically said he would never do in the past. Then he spent 2 first rounders on interior OL in the next 2 drafts which is also something that just isn't commonly done. So it was a clear organizational imperative when those kind of resources are invested. Now there were no guarantees it would work but they found All-Pro type talent with all 3 picks and the scouts/OL coaches deserve a lot of credit for the picks they made and player development.

Now in the process they were also trying to patch up the rest of the roster. They had to be careful to avoid reaching for players. They had to balance what they were doing in the draft versus what they could get in vet FA and UDFA. They had to mind the salary cap and all the dead money they were accumulating as they got rid of players under-performing their contracts. All this to say that just because they wanted to restore the OL didn't mean they could spend every pick and all their resources there because they had other objectives to achieve simultaneously.

khiladi

Reaction score
This team IS winning despite Garrett. As the 'process' progressed, Garrett has unwillingly removed farther and farther from the equation. It's why Jerry essentially admitted they were training Garrett. If one is training Garrett, it's clearly not a process for the one being trained.

It's why even the FOX broadcasters are telling us Scott Linehan is going to get lots of looks. So much for the biggest flaw in this team was defense...

Garrett protagonists were telling us last year, Jerry was the reason Garrett couldn't implement what he wanted and this team was NOT running the ball because Romo kept audibling out of the run plays Garrett was calling. Three years ago it was Dez was dumb and coudn't learn Garrett's playbook.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Garrett's done a good job rebuilding the team, however, he's going to have to it again next year now that like half of his players are leaving in FA.

It's not his job. That's will mcclay, mostly. He's the one that did it and will do it next year. He scouts the players they will look to bring in FA.

khiladi

Reaction score
All of these theories about Garrett's process go even directly against what he has been saying, among them that they draft based on BPA and fulfill needs via free agency.

This line was built by Callahan, not Garrett. Houck was Garrett's man and the philosophy he worked and learned under. Garrett and Callahan were rifting last year and Callahan wanted to bounce but Jerry refused.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it wasn't just last yeae though

Defense has been bad for a while. Personnel was desperately in need of attention starting in that 2011 season. Was pretty obvious at the time, in my opinion, but in retrospect, I don't understand how anybody can argue it.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'll put what I did in other thread....I want to preface this with something. Don't jump me because I've been consistent since Day 1 and not hating. Happy as can be right now.

But I'm still in air because I have made Kubiak comparisons for 2 years now. Search on here. Good guy, players love him, teams have drive but made a ton of mistakes to make team .500. Coordinators come on (Wade for Kubes, Marinelli and Linehan for JG) and team is darling playoff team. The rest is in the air. Kubiak failed once the help wore off.

I hope he isn't Kubes and we win SB but I have a hard time trusting him in games still. We came out flat today and it made me shake my head. Best case scenario is Im a fool! :)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Defense has been bad for a while. Personnel was desperately in need of attention starting in that 2011 season. Was pretty obvious at the time, in my opinion, but in retrospect, I don't understand how anybody can argue it.

true but you stated historically bad which it only was last year.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Yeah, OK. Can't be the staff around him can it? Wow.

Of course its the staff around him, ALSO. He's the head man though, he gets the heat when it isn't right and he gets the credit when it's good. That goes for any coaching staff.

Hoov

Reaction score
Dont you just love all the people who say this was Garrett's plan all along, as they look back? Why werent they preaching patience and faith in the plan over that 3 yr period if they knew this was THE PLAN?

And you gotta love the "This Was The Plan All Along" crowd spouting this stuff as if they knew it all along. You know like they are privy to some inside info, or have more insight than the ignorant masses.

And you gotta love all this PLAN talk about the OL and how the wise master builder had it planned all along yet from all reports if we could have taken some defensive players we wanted in last years draft we would have no Zack Martin. We have Zack because the defensive players we wanted were already taken when our time to pick came. So what if we had picked a defensive player in Rd 1? What would we be hearing as THE PLAN narrative now?

Guess you'll just have to speculate