My thoughts on offseason

foofighters

Reaction score
My thoughts on the offseason are:
1. I gotta get 6 woodworking projects completed within 3 weeks.
2. Why 3 weeks? because hopefully I'll be able to ride my Harley here in NW IA.
3. Getting my new Blackstone griddle ready to go (Bday present that shows up next week!) so I can fire that up the same time I am running my pellet grill.
4. Getting my garage refrigerator filled with my favorite beverages now that the temps are up and they won't freeze.
5...ya, that's pretty much it.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been a long month to get to March and nearing FA period. Though we will still need to get to Mid march for things to heat up more.
Right now it is all media / fan driven speculation driving up the blood pressure in many. I try to stay away from it. I go from sign Dak to let him walk. What is best for the team in the long run is what truly counts. And there are many different opinions on that. And one can't argue what it best one way or the other. Well, they can argue or debate, but it goes nowhere.

Right now, I am at the middle care less ground. It is bad enough they cancelled the NFL Combine. that would usually start about now, and take up some discussion time.
Instead it will be 3 more weeks of the same stuff.
It will be entertaining though as time gets near, as usual on here, from both sides. :popcorn::D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 2021 offseason got off to an astonishing start with three starting QBs traded. The first session that involves all teams begins tomorrow, when the two-week franchise and transition tag period starts -February 23 to March 9. Will the Cowboys immediately make that move?

I think they wait until the last few days like last year. I think that is what they did. Didn't care then, don't care now. Well, I do, but not wasting brain cells on it. I will let the beer take care of the brain cells. :laugh:

And thanks for the starting date. I thought it wasn't until March 1st.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is clearly Dak Prescott. I dont think this team can live with a 4 yr deal, and they shouldnt. If Dak wants security then all he has to do is look at how the Cowboys handled Romo's career. If he cant see that this team takes care of its franchise players, either hes too greedy or too stupid. He picked the wrong agent. Yes he's trying to get top dollar but at what cost? Alienating the team you say you want to finish your career with?

Boom. You nailed it. His agent is killing him and Michael Irvin made a plea on his podcast this past week for Dak to step in and take over. I don't think it will happen, though. He has said it again and again, he's trusting his agent and his trust is misplaced unfortunately.

Next i think this team has to trade Gallup. First, they arent going to be able to resign him with Lamb coming up in a few yrs. Second, he would get you a real nice defensive peice or a good draft pick. Id prefer a player because this defense is already young. They can draft a WR as they've been hitting on them left and right lately.

They are going to have to franchise Dak, which means clearing up $20 million in cap space. There's nothing obvious; just need to rework a bunch of veterans. It's easy to do but it's going to hurt the franchise. The two prime candidates are Amari Cooper and Tyron Smith. Are we sure that we want both of these players for the long term? If not, the franchise could end up with dead money for years to come.

The point here is that if they rework Cooper, it's the nail in the coffin for Gallup. He could get traded, but I actually think it's better to let him play out his contract. They'd probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him - and they get his services in 2021. Do you think they'll get better than a 3rd for him now? If so, they'll do it, but I don't think that they will.

Those that want Jaylon gone re going to be disappointed. This team loves what he brings. Yes he has some bad plays but he has alot of good plays too. When he's allowed to play run first and attack he's very good. When he goes bad is when they want him to float and react. His past injury limits him some and thats where the problem is. Think Quinn will put him in position to succeed.

I agree with you yet again. The problem with Jaylon was coaching. He'll be back better than ever this year. If he isn't though, they need to move on after 2021.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thoughts on the offseason are:
1. I gotta get 6 woodworking projects completed within 3 weeks.
2. Why 3 weeks? because hopefully I'll be able to ride my Harley here in NW IA.
3. Getting my new Blackstone griddle ready to go (Bday present that shows up next week!) so I can fire that up the same time I am running my pellet grill.
4. Getting my garage refrigerator filled with my favorite beverages now that the temps are up and they won't freeze.
5...ya, that's pretty much it.

Good off-season plan. Probably better than Jerry's. :muttley:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is used to describe something that nobody is talking about. Dak's contract is not an elephant in the room.
The elephant in the room is Todd France. I keep hearing the Cowboys should have signed Dak two seasons ago. France was not going to let Dak sign a contract unless the Cowboys made him the top payed player in the league. Love Dak but there is no way he should have been the top paid player in the league in 2019 let alone now. Nobody is going to like what I am about to say or agree with me but I think Dak could get tagged three times. If he plays well next season and the Cowboys get to the NFC championship the 50 million dollar tag for one season is a bargain. The cap is expected to explode in 2022. So it is plausible. Dak for 3 years at 122 million would actually be a bargain if he gets us in to the NFC championship game next season. Lets say he does not get us there or he regresses maybe we let him walk. 70 million guaranteed money for two seasons for a top 10 quarterback is a bargain. The Joneses actually have leverage.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Agree with your take on Dak
Think we need to go defense with our first rounder.

You can't force it, though. There are three defensive players currently being projected in the top 10 - Parsons (LB), Surtain (CB) and Farley (CB). I don't think any of the three would be in the top 10 in any other draft. And realistically, two of the three will probably be off the board.

Do you want Horn at 10? I don't.

So if you really believe it's defense or bust, you have to trade down. If you stick, you might need to take Slater as Tyron Smith's eventual replacement or Pitts as the playmaker at TE, especially since Gallup probably won't be here after this season. You could also take a QB if one of the top QBs miraculously falls.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Knight wasn't that good this year and he'll never be a starting quality LT. I'll live within as our backup swing T, but most would be outraged if we don't upgrade.
Knight was very good given what he was and where he ended up. Hes not a probowler. He is a UDFA who handled the job after sturggling early. And at that didnt struggle as much as you wouldve expected. I think people like you expect to have nothing but Tyrons. Which isnt realistic. KNight is the kind of player that a good OL coach will develop and he will be fine. Drafting a guy like Slater and either having him or Collins at LG will only make Knight even better.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The elephant in the room is Todd France. I keep hearing the Cowboys should have signed Dak two seasons ago. France was not going to let Dak sign a contract unless the Cowboys made him the top payed player in the league. Love Dak but there is no way he should have been the top paid player in the league in 2019 let alone now. Nobody is going to like what I am about to say or agree with me but I think Dak could get tagged three times. If he plays well next season and the Cowboys get to the NFC championship the 50 million dollar tag for one season is a bargain. The cap is expected to explode in 2022. So it is plausible. Dak for 3 years at 122 million would actually be a bargain if he gets us in to the NFC championship game next season. Lets say he does not get us there or he regresses maybe we let him walk. 70 million guaranteed money for two seasons for a top 10 quarterback is a bargain. The Joneses actually have leverage.
Its not Todd France, its Dak. The agent works for the player, Dak could easily tell him get the deal done and make it work for both sides.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Boom. You nailed it. His agent is killing him and Michael Irvin made a plea on his podcast this past week for Dak to step in and take over. I don't think it will happen, though. He has said it again and again, he's trusting his agent and his trust is misplaced unfortunately.
Dak needs to open his eyes and see the history Jerry has had with his franchise QBs. He's extremely loyal to them. Even with Quincy Carter, Jerry was fighting for him with Parcells until the coke got to Cartrer. I think Dak just might be a little too greedy to make it work. If it was about security, all he has to do is look at the endorsements he's gotten because he is the QB for the Cowboys. He wouldnt have any of that QBn for another team. Hes reeping in the rewards of playing the top spot in all of sports on the most marketable team in sports. And taking a 7 yr deal which Dallas wants will give him all the security he needs, which most likely turns into a 10 yr deal with a restructured extension in say yr 5

They are going to have to franchise Dak, which means clearing up $20 million in cap space. There's nothing obvious; just need to rework a bunch of veterans. It's easy to do but it's going to hurt the franchise. The two prime candidates are Amari Cooper and Tyron Smith. Are we sure that we want both of these players for the long term? If not, the franchise could end up with dead money for years to come.

The point here is that if they rework Cooper, it's the nail in the coffin for Gallup. He could get traded, but I actually think it's better to let him play out his contract. They'd probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him - and they get his services in 2021. Do you think they'll get better than a 3rd for him now? If so, they'll do it, but I don't think that they will.
Dallas can easily free up 60mil in cap if they need it. Dallas will IMO 100% restructure Cooper, he's the best wr on this team by far. Lamb will be very good later. Right now hes afraid to get hit which is why he had more then a few tips that ended up as INTs. Cooper will barely turn 26 this yr. He's not going anywhere. Gallup is almost a 1 trick pony. Long ball or almost nothing. As occasionally he will turn a slant into a big gain. But Gallup can get you something good and be some teams #2. I wouldnt want a draft pick for Gallup. This team is already really young, they need veteran leadership. I actually think this team brings in either Sherman or Peterson. And most likely Sherman.

I agree with you yet again. The problem with Jaylon was coaching. He'll be back better than ever this year. If he isn't though, they need to move on after 2021.
Jaylon was at his best when he was playing downhill. He can literally over power a OL if he's allowed to attack rather than reacting. The problem with his foot isnt about leverage but change of direction. And this was already known on reports from DRs the team put out during his rehab. I just have no idea how Nolan didnt know this or just refused to care what any reports said. Once Jaylon spoke out to the media things changed in the scheme and we saw him making alot more plays and getting and forcing turnovers. He played faster and stronger.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Its not Todd France, its Dak. The agent works for the player, Dak could easily tell him get the deal done and make it work for both sides.
I hear you brother, good to see you posting again. Ding Ding with Dak in control of the agent. Dak hired France for a reason. He is not taking a home town discount. Every player, team, and agent is watching this negotiation. France has to get a contract done. Don’t underestimate the Dak injury. This is why I think a contract will get done soon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The elephant in the room is clearly Dak Prescott. I dont think this team can live with a 4 yr deal, and they shouldnt. If Dak wants security then all he has to do is look at how the Cowboys handled Romo's career. If he cant see that this team takes care of its franchise players, either hes too greedy or too stupid. He picked the wrong agent. Yes he's trying to get top dollar but at what cost? Alienating the team you say you want to finish your career with?

OF course the flip side of this is that once Dak gets the big contract he may we willing to restructure along the way to help the team the way Romo did, and other QBs around the NFL have. Either way, one side or the other, or both in some compromise, is going to have to have some trust and faith.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I hear you brother, good to see you posting again. Ding Ding with Dak in control of the agent. Dak hired France for a reason. He is not taking a home town discount. Every player, team, and agent is watching this negotiation. France has to get a contract done. Don’t underestimate the Dak injury. This is why I think a contract will get done soon.
I dont think any of France's top clients signed deals. I understand the players side. But IMO Dak shouldnt have anything to worry about with this team. Dallas is one of the very few honest franchises in sports.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
OF course the flip side of this is that once Dak gets the big contract he may we willing to restructure along the way to help the team the way Romo did, and other QBs around the NFL have. Either way, one side or the other, or both in some compromise, is going to have to have some trust and faith.
The problem is theres really very little chance of being able to restructure on a 4 yr deal. Thats why Dallas at the very least wanted a 5 yr deal, but at first was trying to push for a 7 yr deal.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree. But I don't think Dallas can put Zeke out to pasture just yet. In the 5th league day of 2021 Zeke's dead cap for 2022 spikes to around 23 million. That's how his contract is written. However, they can trade him to avoid this. I just don't see any team taking on his contract. Not even for a 7th rounder. Dallas can safely release him after 2022.
I'm still mad at you for being the guy that pointed out to me that he is here through 22 instead of 21..

:angry:

All your fault!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You can't force it, though. There are three defensive players currently being projected in the top 10 - Parsons (LB), Surtain (CB) and Farley (CB). I don't think any of the three would be in the top 10 in any other draft. And realistically, two of the three will probably be off the board.

Do you want Horn at 10? I don't.

So if you really believe it's defense or bust, you have to trade down. If you stick, you might need to take Slater as Tyron Smith's eventual replacement or Pitts as the playmaker at TE, especially since Gallup probably won't be here after this season. You could also take a QB if one of the top QBs miraculously falls.
Trade down is a real possibility

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Knight was very good given what he was and where he ended up. Hes not a probowler. He is a UDFA who handled the job after sturggling early. And at that didnt struggle as much as you wouldve expected. I think people like you expect to have nothing but Tyrons. Which isnt realistic. KNight is the kind of player that a good OL coach will develop and he will be fine. Drafting a guy like Slater and either having him or Collins at LG will only make Knight even better.

Knight is *great* for an UDFA. But great for an UDFA is not the standard to be used for your starting LT.

Per PFF at least, about midway through the season, they had him playing well, high 60s. By the end of the season, that dropped to low 60s, meaning that he was mid 50s toward the end of the season. That's not acceptable for a starting LT. That's the kind of *backup* you're looking to upgrade, let alone a starter.

One can pooh pooh PFF, but you gotta go by something. I'm fine with eyeballs, but he looked worse to me late in the season. He and Looney seemed to run out of gas.

Verdict

Reaction score
Except LG was the only "not a problem" on the oline last year. Everyone else missed a ton of time or just weren't that good. Williams had a good year with disaster all around him.

McGovern was pretty good, but faded. We got plenty of problems, but LG ain't one of them. Both Williamd and McGovern played better than Biadasz.
I would be all over Humphrey at center in the second round if he lasts that long.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Knight is *great* for an UDFA. But great for an UDFA is not the standard to be used for your starting LT.

Per PFF at least, about midway through the season, they had him playing well, high 60s. By the end of the season, that dropped to low 60s, meaning that he was mid 50s toward the end of the season. That's not acceptable for a starting LT. That's the kind of *backup* you're looking to upgrade, let alone a starter.

One can pooh pooh PFF, but you gotta go by something. I'm fine with eyeballs, but he looked worse to me late in the season. He and Looney seemed to run out of gas.

If that was the case there wouldve never been a Romo