CFZ My Thoughts on the 2022 Team

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
These are based on one game. Unlike Jerry, I don't believe this will magically turn around. Below are the reasons why I have come to this conclusion. And some thoughts on the Bucs game.

• The front office seems to have issues with multitasking. They worked on the defense, but considered the OL to be set. They did hit a home run with Tyler Smith it appears, But counting on Tyron Smith is a reoccurring error due to health. And anything beyond Tyler Smith and Zach Martin is sketchy.
  • Again, the single mindedness of the FO has returned to the beginning of the 2018 campaign when the receiving corps was pitiful. This group just cannot stretch the defense. And married with the OL, running two receivers in patterns and keeping TE's in to block is a recipe for failure.
  • My convictions with Dak are now slipping. He cannot create unless he has a clean pocket. When harassed, he falters. I can live with the less than Brady accuracy. When Romo was here he made decisions quickly and released the ball. Dak does not have that quality. A great deal of his problems stem from the lack of real talent around him. He will need playmakers on the line and receiving corps if he is to be all he can be. Is that enough? Doesn't appear to be.
  • The seasonal theme of not stopping the run has arrived again. I see the defense as better than last year. But shopping at Walmart for defensive tackles seems to be in a Groundhog Day loop. As the game progresses, the inside presence is shoved around like a bullied school kid.
  • Is the linebacker corps adequate if your best player on defense is now rushing the passer? Micah is stellar, but when he moves to the line of scrimmage, there doesn't seem to be enough playmaking ability.
  • Lamb is not a #1 receiver. He thrives in the slot. So we are back to the same spot the FO left the team in 2018 as stated above.
  • Kellen Moore doesn't seem to get that slow developing plays meant for the outside allow even the mediocre teams to move into position to stop them. This kid is not a play caller of any quality.
  • I like McCarthy. But he needs to step up and take control of this offense.
  • If you've gotten this far, I have not given up hope for a season that is passable. But I am not far from seeing this as a draft slot season at best. Walter Football currently has Dallas at the 4th over-all pick. They suggest a WR named Jaxon Smith-Njigba. But with the 4th over-all, would a QB be more in order? Let him sit for a year and send Prescott packing.

https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/draft2023.php

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
These are based on one game. Unlike Jerry, I don't believe this will magically turn around. Below are the reasons why I have come to this conclusion. And some thoughts on the Bucs game.

• The front office seems to have issues with multitasking. They worked on the defense, but considered the OL to be set. They did hit a home run with Tyler Smith it appears, But counting on Tyron Smith is a reoccurring error due to health. And anything beyond Tyler Smith and Zach Martin is sketchy.
  • Again, the single mindedness of the FO has returned to the beginning of the 2018 campaign when the receiving corps was pitiful. This group just cannot stretch the defense. And married with the OL, running two receivers in patterns and keeping TE's in to block is a recipe for failure.
  • My convictions with Dak are now slipping. He cannot create unless he has a clean pocket. When harassed, he falters. I can live with the less than Brady accuracy. When Romo was here he made decisions quickly and released the ball. Dak does not have that quality. A great deal of his problems stem from the lack of real talent around him. He will need playmakers on the line and receiving corps if he is to be all he can be. Is that enough? Doesn't appear to be.
  • The seasonal theme of not stopping the run has arrived again. I see the defense as better than last year. But shopping at Walmart for defensive tackles seems to be in a Groundhog Day loop. As the game progresses, the inside presence is shoved around like a bullied school kid.
  • Is the linebacker corps adequate if your best player on defense is now rushing the passer? Micah is stellar, but when he moves to the line of scrimmage, there doesn't seem to be enough playmaking ability.
  • Lamb is not a #1 receiver. He thrives in the slot. So we are back to the same spot the FO left the team in 2018 as stated above.
  • Kellen Moore doesn't seem to get that slow developing plays meant for the outside allow even the mediocre teams to move into position to stop them. This kid is not a play caller of any quality.
  • If you've gotten this far, I have not given up hope for a season that is passable. But I am not far from seeing this as a draft slot season at best. Walter Football currently has Dallas at the 4th over-all pick. They suggest a WR named Jaxon Smith-Njigba. But with the 4th over-all, would a QB be more in order? Let him sit for a year and send Prescott packing.

QB with the top overall pick is logical.
But that would mean admission of an error with Dak.
Jerry holds on too long to mistakes.
See 9.5 years of Jason Garrett.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I’m starting to believe the Jones have created a team business model or management style were the DC and OC are contractually responsible for there side of the ball and MM is more like a day to day manager. MM may not contractually be an option to be call plays for the defense or offense.

MM seems to keep his distance from getting to involved for a reason.

Recent comments from MM about the offense and KM comment about penalties seem to be more pointed at telling KM the offense is his responsibility. MM has been down this road before and KM might be in trouble if the penalties don’t stop and the offense gets its act together.

I expect to see a offense coaching change if things don’t get better. (With or Without Dak).

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cant base anything off of one game. Most of this is pretty much a garbage analysis. Especially with Gallup out. That being said, this line simply doesnt give us enough time to consistently attempt to go deep. EVERY team plays a two deep nickel zone against us and tries to shut down pass and specifically the deep passing area.

They dare us to run. Until we can dominantly make teams pay for playing this way with the run game, the offense will struggle. Especially with a bad Oline.

Simple, simple football.

Lamb is 100% a number 1 receiver. He already was our number 1 last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
QB with the top overall pick is logical.
But that would mean admission of an error with Dak.
Jerry holds on too long to mistakes.
See 9.5 years of Jason Garrett.

There is no error with Dak. I know you one game cherry picking trolls love to get excited about one or two games, but you have been dead wrong about Dak for 7 years. Let it go already. You lost the argument.

Its also very dumb for anyone to think we can simply go draft a QB and find the next Mahomes. Almost as dumb as someone thinking Dak is average.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

No offense. I like your reasons and the work you put in.

But seriously ?! You spent time to argue against some crap he said ? Do you really take this guy serious ?
Sorry why even spent a second to think about that ? My time is too precious for that.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am convinced KM was promoted too early and doesn't have the fine teaching skills needed to be successful at this level. He also doesn't have the working relationship with other coaches who are on the same page as far as how he wants things taught. Doesn't seem like a well oiled machine on that side of the ball.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
There is no error with Dak. I know you one game cherry picking trolls love to get excited about one or two games, but you have been dead wrong about Dak for 7 years. Let it go already. You lost the argument.

Its also very dumb for anyone to think we can simply go draft a QB and find the next Mahomes. Almost as dumb as someone thinking Dak is average.

Just to be a bit more precise here:

1. We have been wrong for 6 years. Not 7. Thats the timespan Dak is in the NFL now.
2. I dont think he is average.
3. We never lost an argument. Because calling people dumb or haters is not an argument.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just to be a bit more precise here:

1. We have been wrong for 6 years. Not 7. Thats the timespan Dak is in the NFL now.
2. I dont think he is average.

This will be 7.

Good because he isnt anything close to average.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Your asking Kellen Moore to run long developing plays with Terrence Steele and a rookie left tackle...making his first start.

You're better than this 2D3...:popcorn:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good post brother.
In my view, here are some of of the inherent problems with our front office:
  • They don’t seem to have anyone who internally challenges their assumptions. They seem to make easy assumptions about the players they draft or keep with second contracts. (Jaylon Smith, Zeke, believing in Tyron Smith too long) They just assume that a guy that was good for x straight seasons is still good.
  • When the owner is in charge of personnel and roster building, there is a built in problem. Jerry loves his players, therefore he routinely overvalues the guys he loves, then also quickly and sometimes foolishly holds a grudge against any player who he deems inappropriately loyal or lacking the party line- (Amari Cooper)
  • We have a GM and VP of Player Personnel who admittedly don’t study film and/or spend time learning from their mistakes. Jerry has publicly admitted he doesn’t study film or, as he stated this summer, like to spend any time in the past. He has said many times that he only wants to see the positive. That’s good for almost everyone except the GM. He isn’t learning anything because he won’t face or admit his mistakes.

plasticman

Reaction score
When I think of this team I can't help but look back to the events of the 2010 season.

After a promising season in 2009 that looks as though many questions has been answered:

They start the first game with injury issues on the offensive line.

During the game, a defensive struggle, the OC, Jason Garrett almost completely abandons the run. Their RB ended the previous season averaging 5.9 yards a carry and also rushed for 150 yards in the playoff game they won. However, n this game, he carries the ball a total of 8 times for an average of 4.8 yards a carry.

The next two games he carries the ball 7 times.

After 5 games the Cowboys are 1-4 as the injuries continue to pile up. In the 6th game Tony Romo goes down for the season. He averaged 41 pass attempts during the first 5 games.

It is later learned that the Head Coach, who also doubled as the DC, knew absolutely nothing about the team's offense. In fact, the OC reported directly to the GM as did the DC. This, combined with some rather amateurish playcalling leads some to believe that Wade Phillips is HC in name only.

The team is 1-6 by the time it reaches game #8....against the Green Bay Packers. The Packers hand the Cowboys one of the most humiliating defeats in history. The Packers heap on the misery about 12 weeks later because they end up winning the Super Bowl......played in Jerry's new stadium

The following day Wade is fired and the OC becomes the interum coach.

Mark

Reaction score

As of this writing, Dak's body of work as an NFL QB consists of 86 games. The storyline hasn't changed much: Prone to injury; little-to-no skill-set development...regression, even. I'd love to see the guy succeed, and become a so-called "elite" QB but, barring a miracle, it just isn't happening.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

The argument is never going to end no matter how many times folks proclaim victory, on one side or the other. Dak has dominated the division, going 25-6 and putting up huge numbers several times. But he's 31-30 outside of the division (including 1-3 in the playoffs) and the numbers are much different. That's why the debate continues into his 7th season.

I do agree that the notion this front office can just snag someone better with a first round pick isn't as easy as some make it seem. First round QBs bust about as often as they hit, and the last two Jerry wanted to take in the first round are two of those busts. That said, if this season goes south and turns into a top ten pick it wouldn't be prudent to not at least consider what is expected to be a better QB class than the 2022 draft. Not to be the starter in 2023, but to give you a potential option in 2024 and beyond before handing another extension to a QB that has 1 playoff win in 7 years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As of this writing, Dak's body of work as an NFL QB consists of 86 games. The storyline hasn't changed much: Prone to injury; little-to-no skill-set development...regression, even. I'd love to see the guy succeed, and become a so-called "elite" QB but, barring a miracle, it just isn't happening.

No, you just dont understand football. Oline and receivers have regressed. Thats what happens to any QB.

You want to say he is injury prone? Not sure I can argue, but again, has fallen right in line with the deterioration of the Oline.

LOL........so now the ONLY good QB's are "elite" ones? Another "he's not Tom Brady" cry baby?

So you are also "QB challenged"?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The argument is never going to end no matter how many times folks proclaim victory, on one side or the other. Dak has dominated the division, going 25-6 and putting up huge numbers several times. But he's 31-30 outside of the division (including 1-3 in the playoffs) and the numbers are much different. That's why the debate continues into his 7th season.

I do agree that the notion this front office can just snag someone better with a first round pick isn't as easy as some make it seem. First round QBs bust about as often as they hit, and the last two Jerry wanted to take in the first round are two of those busts. That said, if this season goes south and turns into a top ten pick it wouldn't be prudent to not at least consider what is expected to be a better QB class than the 2022 draft. Not to be the starter in 2023, but to give you a potential option in 2024 and beyond before handing another extension to a QB that has 1 playoff win in 7 years.

Dak is not backup material and Dak is not average. Those arguments have long been dead and over.

Just like 20 other dumb little comments the Dak trolls have made.

I would NEVER pass up on a great QB talent, even if I had Mahomes. If I owned a team I would be consistently developing quality QB talent all the time.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
There is no error with Dak. I know you one game cherry picking trolls love to get excited about one or two games, but you have been dead wrong about Dak for 7 years.

This is the 7th year. LOL

Go back to bed.

Please explain how we can be wrong for 7 years but Dak right now is in his 7th year.

I will go to bed now and have a really good sleep. Meanwhile you can figure out those things you write.

Nexx

Reaction score

It's also dumb to not even try to find the next Mahomes. Dak is what Dak... very average.

Brax

Reaction score
No, you just dont understand football. Oline and receivers have regressed. Thats what happens to any QB.

You want to say he is injury prone? Not sure I can argue, but again, has fallen right in line with the deterioration of the Oline.

LOL........so now the ONLY good QB's are "elite" ones? Another "he's not Tom Brady" cry baby?

So you are also "QB challenged"?
According to you they need a 65 million a year OL, a 20 M/ay WR a 10M/ay TE, a few 5 M/ay WR 2 types and any old RB not named Zeke say 3 M/ay so the 11 starters are around 155 million to support Dak plus you want a OC like Mcvay. Not much to pay the other 42 left. Enlighten us oh QB savant how they do this so Dak can function.