My Thoughts on the Assistant Coaches

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We're not getting rid of Garrett after this season. It's just not happening when he signed that big of a deal. And I really don't think we should. I have my doubts about Garrett, that's for sure. But, I don't think getting rid of him is the right move at this moment. And quite frankly, even if by some chance he was fired, I would be nonplussed about it.

I'm more interested at examining the position coaches right now. Gary Brown has been a disappointment this season. They've given him a lot of different RB's and the only ones that have stuck are McFadden and Turbin. And I know they weren't great talents, but you would think you get a RB that could play the #2 spot. And we went thru a gazillion RB's just to fill the #2 spot. His saving grace is the improvement of Dunbar to where I think Dunbar could be a real weapon if he stays healthy and he has improved nicely. The other problem is that RB coaches are usually considered a dime a dozen around the league, so he may keep his job just due to the likelihood of nobody being substantially better.

I would have to question Wade Wilson's job. Not sure what he's in control of as QB coach. If it's mainly throwing mechanics, then he may get some support because Weeden's throwing mechanics were exceptional and looked better than they were in Cleveland. If his job entails more than that, then between guys like Weeden and McGee (hard to blame him for Cassel), it's hard to want to keep a guy like that especially if we draft a young QB.

I actually think Terrance Williams is better, but he's more experienced. His catch radius is still small. Beasley has improved. Street has been disappointing. Whitehead looks like a good pickup, although I'm guessing the scouts had more to do with that. I would say Dooley's job should be safe for now.

Pope has been a disappointment. His saving grace is that Hanna really improved his blocking since Pope came here. Escobar has regressed and he was a former 2nd round pick. Although you could probably blame that on Linehan and Garrett more than Pope in not utilizing Escobar properly.

I would not question Pollack. He just hasn't had enough time to work with the O-Line and even still, Collins has come in and switched from tackle to guard and looked quite good. Leary regressed, but likely due to injury.

Bloom and Lett are the D-Line coaches with Bloom coaching the DE's and Lett coaching the DT's. I think both guys should be safe. Lawrence is starting to come into his own (he was playing well before the Skins game) and Mincey has been a solid pickup for us at a cheap price. I wouldn't give him credit or blame for Hardy since he has only been here for less than a year. The same with Gregory who was an obvious pickup in the 2nd round and has been injured. The only guy I don't like on the D-Line is Jack Crawford.

I don't even mind Hayden that much. Tyrone Crawford improved nicely last year, but is banged up this year. David Irving is looking like a legitimate prospect and Terrell McClain by all accounts looked much improved this year. So I have a hard time degrading Bloom's and Lett's work.

Eberflus has not been given a lot of great talent to work with. He did get production from Bruce Carter last year. Hitchens doesn't get a lot of snaps with McClain and Lee at linebacker, but he was a very good pickup for the team. McClain showed up out of shape and played well last year. Lee is Lee and Eberflus can't take credit for him or blame for him. To me, the big question is more of the development of Damien Wilson. If he can play and contend for the MIKE position against McClain, then Eberflus is likely doing a very good job with what he is given. It appears that Eberflus was on board with drafting Ryan Shazier, who when healthy is an excellent linebacker.

I will leave Byron Jones out of the conversation. He's a great talent and we all know that. I can give Henderson some credit in the drafting process since they likely wanted his input on him and the kid looks really great so far. But, there's not too much credit I can give since where we were drafting it's more of a draft board thing than a coaching thing.

Carr has improved in his zone coverage. Unfortunately, we don't play much zone coverage and his man coverage is much worse than it was before he showed up here. Claiborne has improved this season, but he was a man corner that was rated as the best defensive player in the draft and he simply doesn't look like that.

Scandrick came before Henderson got here. Corey White didn't pan out. They got more out of Sterling Moore than expected. The same with Jeff Heath, although he's not a world beater and is really a rotational safety and special teamer at best.

I would imagine that Henderson has lobbied for Church. Church got the starting position under Henderson as well as his contract extension. Church should be in Danny McCray's spot and maybe playing some LB in the nickel and dime. Not a 4-year, $13 million safety. Church was dreadful in 2013, turned things around in 2014, and is regressing this year. He was a UDFA, but I think Henderson vouched for him.

Wilcox is horrific to watch out there. The only thing he can do is play man coverage on TE's and is a pretty decent special teams player. He can't tackle, he can't play zone (never seen a guy that is ALWAYS too shallow) and he has completely regressed from not only last year, but from his rookie season. I'm not sure how Henderson stays.

Bisaccia has never really impressed me, but I will say that it is hard to be impressive as a ST coach in today's game because the kickoffs usually go into the end zone and that takes a big chunk of special teams out of play. Still, the coverage units on kickoffs has been spotty, at best. Can't really tell a lot on punt returns because Chris Jones does a good job at angling punts. However, I would say overall the punt coverage has been good. He probably played a part in getting Whitehead who shows some promise. Either way, sounds like he may want to get out of here. I would be nonplussed if he stays or goes.

YR

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
We're not getting rid of Garrett after this season. It's just not happening when he signed that big of a deal. And I really don't think we should. I have my doubts about Garrett, that's for sure. But, I don't think getting rid of him is the right move at this moment. And quite frankly, even if by some chance he was fired, I would be nonplussed about it.

I'm more interested at examining the position coaches right now. Gary Brown has been a disappointment this season. They've given him a lot of different RB's and the only ones that have stuck are McFadden and Turbin. And I know they weren't great talents, but you would think you get a RB that could play the #2 spot. And we went thru a gazillion RB's just to fill the #2 spot. His saving grace is the improvement of Dunbar to where I think Dunbar could be a real weapon if he stays healthy and he has improved nicely. The other problem is that RB coaches are usually considered a dime a dozen around the league, so he may keep his job just due to the likelihood of nobody being substantially better.

I would have to question Wade Wilson's job. Not sure what he's in control of as QB coach. If it's mainly throwing mechanics, then he may get some support because Weeden's throwing mechanics were exceptional and looked better than they were in Cleveland. If his job entails more than that, then between guys like Weeden and McGee (hard to blame him for Cassel), it's hard to want to keep a guy like that especially if we draft a young QB.

I actually think Terrance Williams is better, but he's more experienced. His catch radius is still small. Beasley has improved. Street has been disappointing. Whitehead looks like a good pickup, although I'm guessing the scouts had more to do with that. I would say Dooley's job should be safe for now.

Pope has been a disappointment. His saving grace is that Hanna really improved his blocking since Pope came here. Escobar has regressed and he was a former 2nd round pick. Although you could probably blame that on Linehan and Garrett more than Pope in not utilizing Escobar properly.

I would not question Pollack. He just hasn't had enough time to work with the O-Line and even still, Collins has come in and switched from tackle to guard and looked quite good. Leary regressed, but likely due to injury.

Bloom and Lett are the D-Line coaches with Bloom coaching the DE's and Lett coaching the DT's. I think both guys should be safe. Lawrence is starting to come into his own (he was playing well before the Skins game) and Mincey has been a solid pickup for us at a cheap price. I wouldn't give him credit or blame for Hardy since he has only been here for less than a year. The same with Gregory who was an obvious pickup in the 2nd round and has been injured. The only guy I don't like on the D-Line is Jack Crawford.

I don't even mind Hayden that much. Tyrone Crawford improved nicely last year, but is banged up this year. David Irving is looking like a legitimate prospect and Terrell McClain by all accounts looked much improved this year. So I have a hard time degrading Bloom's and Lett's work.

Eberflus has not been given a lot of great talent to work with. He did get production from Bruce Carter last year. Hitchens doesn't get a lot of snaps with McClain and Lee at linebacker, but he was a very good pickup for the team. McClain showed up out of shape and played well last year. Lee is Lee and Eberflus can't take credit for him or blame for him. To me, the big question is more of the development of Damien Wilson. If he can play and contend for the MIKE position against McClain, then Eberflus is likely doing a very good job with what he is given. It appears that Eberflus was on board with drafting Ryan Shazier, who when healthy is an excellent linebacker.

I will leave Byron Jones out of the conversation. He's a great talent and we all know that. I can give Henderson some credit in the drafting process since they likely wanted his input on him and the kid looks really great so far. But, there's not too much credit I can give since where we were drafting it's more of a draft board thing than a coaching thing.

Carr has improved in his zone coverage. Unfortunately, we don't play much zone coverage and his man coverage is much worse than it was before he showed up here. Claiborne has improved this season, but he was a man corner that was rated as the best defensive player in the draft and he simply doesn't look like that.

Scandrick came before Henderson got here. Corey White didn't pan out. They got more out of Sterling Moore than expected. The same with Jeff Heath, although he's not a world beater and is really a rotational safety and special teamer at best.

I would imagine that Henderson has lobbied for Church. Church got the starting position under Henderson as well as his contract extension. Church should be in Danny McCray's spot and maybe playing some LB in the nickel and dime. Not a 4-year, $13 million safety. Church was dreadful in 2013, turned things around in 2014, and is regressing this year. He was a UDFA, but I think Henderson vouched for him.

Wilcox is horrific to watch out there. The only thing he can do is play man coverage on TE's and is a pretty decent special teams player. He can't tackle, he can't play zone (never seen a guy that is ALWAYS too shallow) and he has completely regressed from not only last year, but from his rookie season. I'm not sure how Henderson stays.

Bisaccia has never really impressed me, but I will say that it is hard to be impressive as a ST coach in today's game because the kickoffs usually go into the end zone and that takes a big chunk of special teams out of play. Still, the coverage units on kickoffs has been spotty, at best. Can't really tell a lot on punt returns because Chris Jones does a good job at angling punts. However, I would say overall the punt coverage has been good. He probably played a part in getting Whitehead who shows some promise. Either way, sounds like he may want to get out of here. I would be nonplussed if he stays or goes.

YR

Good points, YR.

Frankly, I'd like to to see a new aggressive OC, who knows exactly what he wants and brings in his own assistants.

Marinelli is safe, as long as he's up to staying aggressive. But he also needs to question the success of his assistants.
I 'd say that Mo's slow progress and poor film study is Henderson's fault, and that kind of failing on that high of a pick should result in his firing.

Bisaccia has directed too many coverage lapses. I think we can do better.

If JG is ultimately only the hands-off manager, then the co-ordinators need to be large and in charge.

daveferr33

Reaction score
If you are going to make coaching changes, fire Garrett, hire a new HC and let the new HC pick his staff.

If you're not going to fire Garrett, then just bring everybody back. Anything but a clean house at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

This franchise is in desperate need fresh air from top to bottom.

RS12

Reaction score
If you are going to make coaching changes, fire Garrett, hire a new HC and let the new HC pick his staff.

If you're not going to fire Garrett, then just bring everybody back. Anything but a clean house at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Christmas bonus for anybody who can get Jerry to photo shop him out of the family photo.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Fire all the coaches but keep the monkey. He can do better than all of these coaches combined.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett, Linehan, Marinelli and Bisaccia are all safe.
Mostly due to contracts and the injury card. But mostly for continuity. This is the 2nd years where we had the same coaches and the same positions for how long?
Give Bisaccia better players, he will have better results.

The positional coaches need a makeover,but not wholesale, but alsmost...lol...

Pollack stays, as said, need that continuity. I think losing Callahan was most part of it, and with the injuries coming out of TC, then more injuries, Dez and Tony. Everyone bought into the OL hype too much. I think it also was a year of adjustments, though that should not be a big part of it.
Pope stays
Brown, Dooley, Wilson all need to go. They have not produced any player at those positions, nor helped any players improve.
Loney and Colombo stay as assistants

Eberflus stays at LB
Need a true DL coach, to coach them as a unit. Not this individual DT / DE coach crap. Let Marinelli focus as DC and no dual roles. Lett can stay as a DL assistant.
Bloom, is listed as Defensive quality control / LB...so guess he helps preparing film for meetings mostly. I seen where someone said he was DE's. Well if he is, need a change.
I say change DE/Dt and get a true DL coach, because I am not happy with the progress or results with all that DL supposed talent.
Hendserson as secondary coach needs to go, he too has not developed any players, nor, made anyone that much better. Replace him before he ruins Byron Jones.

Need new Strength & Conditioning coaches, woicek has lost it, and do ont promote from within....need entire new group there.

FO, we know nothing will change here, but they need to make sure they keep McClay and Cistowski.

So, replace 4 coaches in Henderson, Wilson, Dooley, Brown. get a true DL coach. Replace Woicek

daveferr33

Reaction score
Christmas bonus for anybody who can get Jerry to photo shop him out of the family photo.

Your point is well taken. I am just very tired of the piecemeal approach to this staff that has been going on since Garrett was hired before Wade in 2007. I know we probably won't do it this way, but the approach taken by the Cardinals and Bruce Arians is my envy. Here is Arians explaining why he did not retain Ray Horton (a carry-over from the previous staff) and instead chose Todd Bowles:

"I've got all the respect in the world for Ray Horton," Arians said. "We were together in Pittsburgh. He's done a great job here. It just needed to be a football team directed by me. And anytime there is carryover, we don't want that as (players) being able to go somewhere else to voice an opinion."

He's absolutely right. This is a huge problem in Dallas. They will never win anything of significance until they hire a coach who has absolute control over coaching decisions, including his staff.

50cent

Reaction score

YR

Brown is a season removed from Murray's 1800! Two seasons removed from producing a 1300 yard pro bowler. And on his way to help produce another 1000 yard rusher that barely saw the field for the first 3-4 games. How can anyone be upset with him? Any talk that didn't start and end with Wade getting fired is a lil off target!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Your point is well taken. I am just very tired of the piecemeal approach to this staff that has been going on since Garrett was hired before Wade in 2007. I know we probably won't do it this way, but the approach taken by the Cardinals and Bruce Arians is my envy. Here is Arians explaining why he did not retain Ray Horton (a carry-over from the previous staff) and instead chose Todd Bowles:

He's absolutely right. This is a huge problem in Dallas. They will never win anything of significance until they hire a coach who has absolute control over coaching decisions, including his staff.

:hammer:

canters

Reaction score
If anyone goes or JJ needs to send a message to the staff, I vote for Henderson. His DBs are not ballhawks and he pushed JJ to draft Wilcox and Webb a few years ago. This speaks for itself.

Gaede

Reaction score

Agreed. Yet another off season purge of underling coaches will affect nothing. The only one that absolutely has to go regardless of HC is Wade Wilson

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett has resisted any change to this offense, particularly because it makes him even more irrelevant than he is now...

I don't know how many times this needs to be stated. It happened with Callahan, which is why they brought in Linehan.

Garrett is effectively finished if the offense goes bye bye.

Junglist

Reaction score
Henderson and Bisaccia have to go. Our backfield and special teams have never impressed me. So many other teams have gotten production out of lesser talent.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Good points, YR.

Frankly, I'd like to to see a new aggressive OC, who knows exactly what he wants and brings in his own assistants.

Marinelli is safe, as long as he's up to staying aggressive. But he also needs to question the success of his assistants.
I 'd say that Mo's slow progress and poor film study is Henderson's fault, and that kind of failing on that high of a pick should result in his firing.

Bisaccia has directed too many coverage lapses. I think we can do better.

If JG is ultimately only the hands-off manager, then the co-ordinators need to be large and in charge.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said with one exception. Marinelli.. I have a hard time seeing his name and the word aggressive in the same sentence.

craig71

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Reaction score
I think you have to consider bringing in another offensive line coach. I am not saying that he has done a piss poor job, but when you cannot convert 3rd and short you have to consider a change. I know some will harp on play design/calling but on many of those 3rd and shorts it's missed blocks or not sustaining the block that is the root cause for failure.

Craig

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
What is it with Cowboy Fans that blame everybody else but the Head Coach? Maybe we should just fire the Janitors & Parking Attendants and the team will win the Super Bowl with the current HC. Bottom Line is that this Team needs a new direction because they have no direction at all. They need a "qualified " Leader at the Head Coach position. JG's contract is a Business Loss due to a bad decision and hopefully it will always linger in the back of the Jones' family minds. Stop getting cute with hiring a Head Coach based on "potential". We need a true veteran Head Coach who is worth his weight in Gold not only in the regular season but especially on Game Day. This is not the Detroit Lions of the 1990s who kept Wayne Fontes as Head Coach because they did not have the backbone to fire him a lot sooner. We need to act like a Elite NFL Football Franchise and stop this stupidity.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment to me has been the o-line and the safeties (not counting Jones here). I get the impression that Pollack is learning on the job. This team can't have this right now. They're using up their "learning on the job" credits with JG. This o-line doesn't pass protect that well and can't push for a yard on 3rd and 1 to save their life. Call it play calling or what but for 3 first round picks (probably a 4th with Collins) this o-line should dominate.

Whoever said Church and Wilcox can be starters should be banned from the NFL. JG isn't going anywhere but this team needs to understand that this can't be repeated next year. Now if Payton becomes free, then that could be a different story.

visionary

Reaction score

This
Moving deck chairs on the titanic will not stop the ship from taking on water