My Thoughts on the Assistant Coaches

daveferr33

Reaction score
Jerry even made Parcells, a 34 innovator, keep Zimmer and his 43 because he was signed.

I think "made" may be too strong a word. I don't know exactly, but here's a different take on that situation, from Parcells:

“When I went to Dallas [in 2003] he had been the defensive coach there and they thought highly of him,” Parcells said Wednesday, the day the Vikings hired the Bengals defensive coordinator to replace Leslie Frazier. “You know I talked to him and decided to keep him.”

Source: http://www.startribune.com/hartman-parcells-thrilled-by-vikings-choice-of-zimmer/240653731/

Of course its possible Parcells is being less than forthcoming about his authority, but given all the other concessions Jerry made when he hired Bill (my favorite being the "one-voice" rule), I don't think Bill would have allowed Jerry to force assistants on him that he did not himself want.

LittleD

Reaction score
Most of the coaches will be back next year unless they get offers to go elsewhere. Wade Wilson would be my
first choice of a "so called" coach to leave but, Romo likes him and at his age doesn't want to start over with
someone new. There's probably a two year window to get the vets on this team to a chance at a SB so Jerry
is no way going to burn the ship down. They will probably work a lot on the offense next year trying to
protect Romo while opening up some running lanes for the line. I think you may see a new receiver or two
for Romo to develop. If Marinelli has had his fill, then I think Eberflus will get a chance to run the defense. I do
think we need new defensive back coaches though I just think we will give it another year of the same ole...same ole.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dooley, Linehan, Bisaccia, and Henderson have all underperformed.

I don't see how you retain Bisaccia. Our ST has been consistently bad. Outside of Jones/Bailey ST is a serious weakness with numerous gaffes that have hurt us tremendously this year.

I'd say i'm most unimpressed with Linehan. Granted, Cassel and Weeden hamstring this offense, but we're nearly the worst scoring team on offense in the NFL during Romo's absence. We have a young talented OL, a hof tight end, and a WR that's talented. The playcalling has been surprisingly uncreative, and lackluster. I also think Dez is being underutilized as a weapon. It's your job as a playcaller to get creative when the rubber hits the road, and outside of the Lucky jet sweep, it's surprisingly the same offense they try to run with Romo behind center.

I think Pollack is fine. The OL is performing well. Collins looks good.

It's tough with Henderson. He did develop TJ Ward and Haden in Cleveland when the Browns were terrible, having one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. But 0 int's is a concerning number. If Jones didn't develop and the scheme wasn't changed to a more man based scheme, combined with a secondary full of guys who can't play a ball, I'd say he'd probably be gone. But we don't have talent in the secondary, regardless of the resources we spent 3 years ago, they suck. It needs a drastic overhaul. Jones is developing and playing extremely well for a rookie so Henderson might get another year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It won't happen, but I would be all for Robb Chudzinski becoming the new O-Coordinator. He's far more innovative than Linehan and runs pretty much the same scheme.

Depends on how much Garrett would hold him back.

YR

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with hot routes. I haven't seen Romo do much yelling at the receivers since Dooley has been in charge. And most of the yelling usually comes from the receiver not choosing the right option. If the receiver is supposed to curl to the right and breaks out to the right instead....stuff like that.

Williams has looked better, but it's mostly an experience thing. His catching mechanics are still average at best. Beasley is still very good.

With Henderson, I just don't see any reason to keep him. He was a Rob Ryan guy, our picks have been mostly awful and didn't pan out with him and oh...are CB HAVE NO $!^@$!$!$! INTERCEPTIONS THIS YEAR!

YR

Williams is in his 3rd yr how much exp is he going to need? He's still making the same mistakes as his rookie yr. Look at his draft report and everything negative you see about him in that report you see him still doing. Same with Dez. All having to do with not hustling when the ball isnt going to them, bad/lazy routes. Thats why they dropped. Dooley hasnt been able to change any of that. Those two try to get by on talent alone. Sorry but I dont see the purpose to Dooley.

You wont find any argument from me on Henderson. Only thing i will say about him is he tried to work man cover coners into a zone scheme and that didnt work.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If Garrett stays, he should fire his whole offensive staff and bring in a whole new philosophy that has some flexibility in game planning. I swear, the game plan has not changed one bit since the first game. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows what plays are coming. You need more innovation, especially in the event Romo goes out. You have to be able to change your offense to fit the skills of the back up QB, (if they have skills). When Tebow was made the starter, he wasn't expected to run the same offense as the other QB, they changed it up to what his strength was. Garrett and company have the offense tailored to Romo, and expect his backups to run it as efficiently as Romo.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Williams is in his 3rd yr how much exp is he going to need? He's still making the same mistakes as his rookie yr. Look at his draft report and everything negative you see about him in that report you see him still doing. Same with Dez. All having to do with not hustling when the ball isnt going to them, bad/lazy routes. Thats why they dropped. Dooley hasnt been able to change any of that. Those two try to get by on talent alone. Sorry but I dont see the purpose to Dooley.

You wont find any argument from me on Henderson. Only thing i will say about him is he tried to work man cover coners into a zone scheme and that didnt work.

Garrett is in his 5th full year, and is still making the same rookie mistakes. So that's how things go in this organization.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This is not going to happen, but this is what I would do if I were Jerry................

I tell Garrett that he has full control over both his offensive and defensive coaches and that he can assemble, hire, fire, or do whatever he wants for next season. However, I tell Garrett that one good season out of six is not getting the job done and he dam well better make the playoffs next year or that's it. Seven years is more than enough time, either Garrett makes the playoffs next year or he is gone.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Your point is well taken. I am just very tired of the piecemeal approach to this staff that has been going on since Garrett was hired before Wade in 2007. I know we probably won't do it this way, but the approach taken by the Cardinals and Bruce Arians is my envy. Here is Arians explaining why he did not retain Ray Horton (a carry-over from the previous staff) and instead chose Todd Bowles:

He's absolutely right. This is a huge problem in Dallas. They will never win anything of significance until they hire a coach who has absolute control over coaching decisions, including his staff.

I wish Arians were coaching for us. He just knows how to coach.