My Thoughts on the Assistant Coaches

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If you are going to make coaching changes, fire Garrett, hire a new HC and let the new HC pick his staff.

If you're not going to fire Garrett, then just bring everybody back. Anything but a clean house at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

This franchise is in desperate need fresh air from top to bottom.

This is nonsense. The argument is supposed to be that you don't want to do it because it leads to discord in the coaches meetings. That si a real issue but doesn't apply to use because Callahan was the most divisive presence imaginable and we were better last year with him here including our running game.

If we bring in coaches it better because they know something we don't. These are all elite coaches of football and if they know how to a) coach QBs or b) teach pass coverage in the middle of the field and better ball skills, then you don't say NO.

You sound like bad political parties and children who don't want anything unless they get exactly what they want.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
What's wrong with Pollack?

Broaddus has said if you watch the tape they've all had underwhelming performances, but noted Frederick has been consistently the best. I know Tony being out plays a part, but they went from great last year to above average this year with the same guys essentially

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
If you are going to make coaching changes, fire Garrett, hire a new HC and let the new HC pick his staff.

If you're not going to fire Garrett, then just bring everybody back. Anything but a clean house at this point is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

This franchise is in desperate need fresh air from top to bottom.

agreed - all or none.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said with one exception. Marinelli.. I have a hard time seeing his name and the word aggressive in the same sentence.

I was thinking that the Washington game may have been a rebirth.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
But mostly for continuity

There it is, "continuity!" Continuity of what? More of this crappy, 8th grade level offense? Continuity of mis-managing the time, continuity of bad situational football? Continuity of not being able to rush the passer, get turnovers? I guess we should be on board with keeping Garrett and company so that the "continuity" of this most entertaining season again next year!

phildadon86

Reaction score
The biggest disappointment to me has been the o-line and the safeties (not counting Jones here). I get the impression that Pollack is learning on the job. This team can't have this right now. They're using up their "learning on the job" credits with JG. This o-line doesn't pass protect that well and can't push for a yard on 3rd and 1 to save their life. Call it play calling or what but for 3 first round picks (probably a 4th with Collins) this o-line should dominate.

Whoever said Church and Wilcox can be starters should be banned from the NFL. JG isn't going anywhere but this team needs to understand that this can't be repeated next year. Now if Payton becomes free, then that could be a different story.

Its very difficult to dominate when teams dont respect the pass whatsoever. It also doesnt help that the jumbo package is used on almost every 3rd and 1. Every team knows this and stacks the box. Its hard to blame the O-Line when there is 5 of them and 11 guys to block,

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We're not getting rid of Garrett after this season. It's just not happening when he signed that big of a deal. And I really don't think we should. I have my doubts about Garrett, that's for sure. But, I don't think getting rid of him is the right move at this moment. And quite frankly, even if by some chance he was fired, I would be nonplussed about it.

I'm more interested at examining the position coaches right now. Gary Brown has been a disappointment this season. They've given him a lot of different RB's and the only ones that have stuck are McFadden and Turbin. And I know they weren't great talents, but you would think you get a RB that could play the #2 spot. And we went thru a gazillion RB's just to fill the #2 spot. His saving grace is the improvement of Dunbar to where I think Dunbar could be a real weapon if he stays healthy and he has improved nicely. The other problem is that RB coaches are usually considered a dime a dozen around the league, so he may keep his job just due to the likelihood of nobody being substantially better.

I would have to question Wade Wilson's job. Not sure what he's in control of as QB coach. If it's mainly throwing mechanics, then he may get some support because Weeden's throwing mechanics were exceptional and looked better than they were in Cleveland. If his job entails more than that, then between guys like Weeden and McGee (hard to blame him for Cassel), it's hard to want to keep a guy like that especially if we draft a young QB.

I actually think Terrance Williams is better, but he's more experienced. His catch radius is still small. Beasley has improved. Street has been disappointing. Whitehead looks like a good pickup, although I'm guessing the scouts had more to do with that. I would say Dooley's job should be safe for now.

Pope has been a disappointment. His saving grace is that Hanna really improved his blocking since Pope came here. Escobar has regressed and he was a former 2nd round pick. Although you could probably blame that on Linehan and Garrett more than Pope in not utilizing Escobar properly.

I would not question Pollack. He just hasn't had enough time to work with the O-Line and even still, Collins has come in and switched from tackle to guard and looked quite good. Leary regressed, but likely due to injury.

Bloom and Lett are the D-Line coaches with Bloom coaching the DE's and Lett coaching the DT's. I think both guys should be safe. Lawrence is starting to come into his own (he was playing well before the Skins game) and Mincey has been a solid pickup for us at a cheap price. I wouldn't give him credit or blame for Hardy since he has only been here for less than a year. The same with Gregory who was an obvious pickup in the 2nd round and has been injured. The only guy I don't like on the D-Line is Jack Crawford.

I don't even mind Hayden that much. Tyrone Crawford improved nicely last year, but is banged up this year. David Irving is looking like a legitimate prospect and Terrell McClain by all accounts looked much improved this year. So I have a hard time degrading Bloom's and Lett's work.

Eberflus has not been given a lot of great talent to work with. He did get production from Bruce Carter last year. Hitchens doesn't get a lot of snaps with McClain and Lee at linebacker, but he was a very good pickup for the team. McClain showed up out of shape and played well last year. Lee is Lee and Eberflus can't take credit for him or blame for him. To me, the big question is more of the development of Damien Wilson. If he can play and contend for the MIKE position against McClain, then Eberflus is likely doing a very good job with what he is given. It appears that Eberflus was on board with drafting Ryan Shazier, who when healthy is an excellent linebacker.

I will leave Byron Jones out of the conversation. He's a great talent and we all know that. I can give Henderson some credit in the drafting process since they likely wanted his input on him and the kid looks really great so far. But, there's not too much credit I can give since where we were drafting it's more of a draft board thing than a coaching thing.

Carr has improved in his zone coverage. Unfortunately, we don't play much zone coverage and his man coverage is much worse than it was before he showed up here. Claiborne has improved this season, but he was a man corner that was rated as the best defensive player in the draft and he simply doesn't look like that.

Scandrick came before Henderson got here. Corey White didn't pan out. They got more out of Sterling Moore than expected. The same with Jeff Heath, although he's not a world beater and is really a rotational safety and special teamer at best.

I would imagine that Henderson has lobbied for Church. Church got the starting position under Henderson as well as his contract extension. Church should be in Danny McCray's spot and maybe playing some LB in the nickel and dime. Not a 4-year, $13 million safety. Church was dreadful in 2013, turned things around in 2014, and is regressing this year. He was a UDFA, but I think Henderson vouched for him.

Wilcox is horrific to watch out there. The only thing he can do is play man coverage on TE's and is a pretty decent special teams player. He can't tackle, he can't play zone (never seen a guy that is ALWAYS too shallow) and he has completely regressed from not only last year, but from his rookie season. I'm not sure how Henderson stays.

Bisaccia has never really impressed me, but I will say that it is hard to be impressive as a ST coach in today's game because the kickoffs usually go into the end zone and that takes a big chunk of special teams out of play. Still, the coverage units on kickoffs has been spotty, at best. Can't really tell a lot on punt returns because Chris Jones does a good job at angling punts. However, I would say overall the punt coverage has been good. He probably played a part in getting Whitehead who shows some promise. Either way, sounds like he may want to get out of here. I would be nonplussed if he stays or goes.

YR

It is post like this that make me realize why I come here again and again.
Thanks you, lad. Lots of reading. More info than DMN or the Farmer's Branch Yeller Weekly can give us in a year.

Excellent post.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Broaddus has said if you watch the tape they've all had underwhelming performances, but noted Frederick has been consistently the best. I know Tony being out plays a part, but they went from great last year to above average this year with the same guys essentially

Oh Broaddus. I'm not a fan but I do think he knows his stuff regarding line play so that is fair.

The pass protection is better. The rookie has had some growing pains recognizing stunts and blitzes but technique wise he is much more disciplined. He's gotten better at it though and has been seen picking up two defenders at times now. The rest are a ton better and you can tell they made it a point of emphasis in the offseason.

Most of the problems have been individual breakdowns and extra defenders running in off the backside. I'm thinking Tyron doing a Parnell impression and being hesitant to punch. I'm thinking Leary not being able to turn because his groin muscles are so much taffy. I'm thinking Free unable to bend his knees bending at the waist like he's doing a cart-wheel because his joints are stiffening.

Overall in tandem they are better though. The double teams involving Fred either way have been earth moving washing out NT and entrapping defenders on the second level. They communicate better passing down stunts and the like inside and playing with better depth so they can exchange. The awareness in turn seems a lot better. It's been the route adjustments that have been the problem as our QBs have had consistent time to throw all year.

Smith has taken a step back but LC is a lot better than LSU. Romo makes line calls and adjustments. Compare and contrast with what Cassel does when he only calls out like you already mentioned.

He will still sometimes get out over his top but not all the time like he was at LSU. His hand placement is excellent and I am pretty sure that it's Pollack that teaches the technique out in space which all those guys finding targets when they pull. The angle blocking has been better on the second level now that the rookie understand that zone blocking means you take the first inside guy and he stopped surrendering his gap.

The run scheme is the issue. Garrett nor Linehan seems to have a feel how to set up a run game. I'm not saying that I do mind you. It seems a labyrinthe of formations, shadings, and things out of my scope. We used to run that sweep either way depending on how the defense aligns and to keep them honest when they started to cheat we would run that counter. In essence we were running away from the extra man in the box to try and mitigating their advantage.

Listening to Garrett talk his approach seems to be Belichekian in that he wants to be able to call anything and execute. You cannot play like that with Weeden and Cassel at QB.

What I really don't like is how the Cowboys set up their organization so that the depth can help them. When the stars go out we're screwed. Sure that's on Garrett too but it's a systemic malaise that ails the Cowboys.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
We're not getting rid of Garrett after this season. It's just not happening when he signed that big of a deal. And I really don't think we should. I have my doubts about Garrett, that's for sure. But, I don't think getting rid of him is the right move at this moment. And quite frankly, even if by some chance he was fired, I would be nonplussed about it.

I'm more interested at examining the position coaches right now. Gary Brown has been a disappointment this season. They've given him a lot of different RB's and the only ones that have stuck are McFadden and Turbin. And I know they weren't great talents, but you would think you get a RB that could play the #2 spot. And we went thru a gazillion RB's just to fill the #2 spot. His saving grace is the improvement of Dunbar to where I think Dunbar could be a real weapon if he stays healthy and he has improved nicely. The other problem is that RB coaches are usually considered a dime a dozen around the league, so he may keep his job just due to the likelihood of nobody being substantially better.

I would have to question Wade Wilson's job. Not sure what he's in control of as QB coach. If it's mainly throwing mechanics, then he may get some support because Weeden's throwing mechanics were exceptional and looked better than they were in Cleveland. If his job entails more than that, then between guys like Weeden and McGee (hard to blame him for Cassel), it's hard to want to keep a guy like that especially if we draft a young QB.

I actually think Terrance Williams is better, but he's more experienced. His catch radius is still small. Beasley has improved. Street has been disappointing. Whitehead looks like a good pickup, although I'm guessing the scouts had more to do with that. I would say Dooley's job should be safe for now.

Pope has been a disappointment. His saving grace is that Hanna really improved his blocking since Pope came here. Escobar has regressed and he was a former 2nd round pick. Although you could probably blame that on Linehan and Garrett more than Pope in not utilizing Escobar properly.

I would not question Pollack. He just hasn't had enough time to work with the O-Line and even still, Collins has come in and switched from tackle to guard and looked quite good. Leary regressed, but likely due to injury.

Bloom and Lett are the D-Line coaches with Bloom coaching the DE's and Lett coaching the DT's. I think both guys should be safe. Lawrence is starting to come into his own (he was playing well before the Skins game) and Mincey has been a solid pickup for us at a cheap price. I wouldn't give him credit or blame for Hardy since he has only been here for less than a year. The same with Gregory who was an obvious pickup in the 2nd round and has been injured. The only guy I don't like on the D-Line is Jack Crawford.

I don't even mind Hayden that much. Tyrone Crawford improved nicely last year, but is banged up this year. David Irving is looking like a legitimate prospect and Terrell McClain by all accounts looked much improved this year. So I have a hard time degrading Bloom's and Lett's work.

Eberflus has not been given a lot of great talent to work with. He did get production from Bruce Carter last year. Hitchens doesn't get a lot of snaps with McClain and Lee at linebacker, but he was a very good pickup for the team. McClain showed up out of shape and played well last year. Lee is Lee and Eberflus can't take credit for him or blame for him. To me, the big question is more of the development of Damien Wilson. If he can play and contend for the MIKE position against McClain, then Eberflus is likely doing a very good job with what he is given. It appears that Eberflus was on board with drafting Ryan Shazier, who when healthy is an excellent linebacker.

I will leave Byron Jones out of the conversation. He's a great talent and we all know that. I can give Henderson some credit in the drafting process since they likely wanted his input on him and the kid looks really great so far. But, there's not too much credit I can give since where we were drafting it's more of a draft board thing than a coaching thing.

Carr has improved in his zone coverage. Unfortunately, we don't play much zone coverage and his man coverage is much worse than it was before he showed up here. Claiborne has improved this season, but he was a man corner that was rated as the best defensive player in the draft and he simply doesn't look like that.

Scandrick came before Henderson got here. Corey White didn't pan out. They got more out of Sterling Moore than expected. The same with Jeff Heath, although he's not a world beater and is really a rotational safety and special teamer at best.

I would imagine that Henderson has lobbied for Church. Church got the starting position under Henderson as well as his contract extension. Church should be in Danny McCray's spot and maybe playing some LB in the nickel and dime. Not a 4-year, $13 million safety. Church was dreadful in 2013, turned things around in 2014, and is regressing this year. He was a UDFA, but I think Henderson vouched for him.

Wilcox is horrific to watch out there. The only thing he can do is play man coverage on TE's and is a pretty decent special teams player. He can't tackle, he can't play zone (never seen a guy that is ALWAYS too shallow) and he has completely regressed from not only last year, but from his rookie season. I'm not sure how Henderson stays.

Bisaccia has never really impressed me, but I will say that it is hard to be impressive as a ST coach in today's game because the kickoffs usually go into the end zone and that takes a big chunk of special teams out of play. Still, the coverage units on kickoffs has been spotty, at best. Can't really tell a lot on punt returns because Chris Jones does a good job at angling punts. However, I would say overall the punt coverage has been good. He probably played a part in getting Whitehead who shows some promise. Either way, sounds like he may want to get out of here. I would be nonplussed if he stays or goes.

YR

I think Dooley and Henderson are gone. Dooley cant get his Wrs to run them hot routes and cant teach them how to read the defense on them blitzes to help out the QB. IDK if the WRs are really that dumb or he's not pressing them in the film room. They just dont look like they know what theyre doing in there except maybe run the specific route thats called. And it doesnt look like its the change in QBs because you see Romo yelling at them all the time for not adjusting or flat out running the wrong route

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Chip
Your point is well taken. I am just very tired of the piecemeal approach to this staff that has been going on since Garrett was hired before Wade in 2007. I know we probably won't do it this way, but the approach taken by the Cardinals and Bruce Arians is my envy. Here is Arians explaining why he did not retain Ray Horton (a carry-over from the previous staff) and instead chose Todd Bowles:

He's absolutely right. This is a huge problem in Dallas. They will never win anything of significance until they hire a coach who has absolute control over coaching decisions, including his staff.

Chip Kelly has the same power. So that obviously doesn't work every time.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think Dooley and Henderson are gone. Dooley cant get his Wrs to run them hot routes and cant teach them how to read the defense on them blitzes to help out the QB. IDK if the WRs are really that dumb or he's not pressing them in the film room. They just dont look like they know what theyre doing in there except maybe run the specific route thats called. And it doesnt look like its the change in QBs because you see Romo yelling at them all the time for not adjusting or flat out running the wrong route

Romo calling out the hotroutes depending on formation v formation would help. I get that the receivers are spoiled and should know. Cassel throwing it into Beasley's hip on a blitz bothers me. Dez and TWill not being on the same page as Cassel still now after near 10 weeks bothers me.

OTOH, Dez makes tons of mental errors and you have to hold his hand. TWill has some mental issues as well but of a different type than Dez. He gets discouraged and starts dogging it. Street is not athletic enough nor strong enough to play in the NFL.

I recognize Escobar, Bease, Witten and anyone else running in the middle of the field isn't getting the ball unless they are the primary receiver. They run that option route for Witten and feature him a lot on third downs is the only reason he gets catches. The seam route for example has completely disappeared. It's thrown late and into heavy coverage when it's ever thrown nowadays.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
is there any reason to keep Linehan?

Not in my opinion. Linehan, I am bias on. I never liked him. I didn't like his style of play in Detroit and what I remember from that stint is what I think we are seeing here in Dallas. Pollack is a bit of a wildcard because you don't know how much Linehan is effecting what might be happening with the OL. If we let Linehan go, then I would be in favor of allowing the new OC to make a call on the OL coach.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Firing offensive assistants is meaningless unless someone is allowed to bring in and implement a new offensive philosophy.

I see almost no way that happens, so replacing Wilson or Pollack is basically just repackaging the same old turd.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm disappointed in the OL and that's more of a reflection on their attitude, I really expected the group to have a take no prisoners tude about them this year, and I don't see it. That's on the position coach But really Linehan is the guy who needs to go his u willingness to adapt and the stupidity of our running game screams next!
Until we get a better and more creative OC evaluating anybody else is futile

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I don't see a problem with hot routes. I haven't seen Romo do much yelling at the receivers since Dooley has been in charge. And most of the yelling usually comes from the receiver not choosing the right option. If the receiver is supposed to curl to the right and breaks out to the right instead....stuff like that.

Williams has looked better, but it's mostly an experience thing. His catching mechanics are still average at best. Beasley is still very good.

With Henderson, I just don't see any reason to keep him. He was a Rob Ryan guy, our picks have been mostly awful and didn't pan out with him and oh...are CB HAVE NO $!^@$!$!$! INTERCEPTIONS THIS YEAR!

YR

fivetwos

Reaction score
Want to know which assistants will stay or not? Look no further than who has what left on their contract.

Jerry wont eat assistant contracts. Every head coach after JJ has had to accept assistants from the previous regime.

Jerry even made Parcells, a 34 innovator, keep Zimmer and his 43 because he was signed.

There is NO good reason why Marinelli should have to keep Eberflus and Henderson (100% Rob Ryan guys) rather than someone he selected himself.

Jerry is cheap when is coming to paying assistants not to coach. The results speak for themselves.