CFZ My thoughts on the draft so far, and where I think we should go next

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts for the draft so far.

With our first pick, we took Mazi Smith NT Michigan. I think this was a very good pick. Was it an "exciting" pick? No. However, it filled a void that's been missing since probably at least Jay Ratliff. The last time we took a NT in round 1 was in 1991 with Russell Maryland. I was not even born when that happened. Mazi Smith is the type of player that can help us shut down the run and stuff the middle to protect QBs from stepping up. He's also surprisingly athletic for his size. I know some here aren't as happy as I am, but this is a pick that's been needed for a long time. A+ from me.

With our second pick, we took Luke Schoonmacher TE Michigan. Tight end wasn't exactly my top choice for the 2nd round pick. I'd have liked Torrance O'Cyrus as guard is a key need as well. However, I can see the logic. He's a good blocker, and he gives us a nice trio of TEs. For me, this pick is meh. I'll give it a C.

With our 3rd pick, we took DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas. I'm thrilled about the player. He's an excellent LB with a lot of speed and a hard hitting player. I think this completes our defence. We now have 4 solid LBers. Parsons, LVE, Clark, and Overshown. We will be such a deadly team. The only question that I have about this pick is that we probably could use a WR, RB, or a guard more at this spot. I wanted Tre Tucker, McBride, or Zavala. That said, Tucker went much earlier than I thought he would, and McBride and Zavala are still on the board. I'll give this a B+/A-

So far, I'd say our draft is meh. Mainly with our 2nd round pick. I love the first pick, and I like our 3rd pick. For the rest of the draft, I think we need G, RB, maybe a WR/QB, and a kicker. For me, I'd like to see the rest of our draft be Zavala, a RB like the one from Pitt or maybe McBride, DTP/Tune/WR (Bobo from UCLA?), and the kicker from Maryland. Alternatively, I'd like McBride, Mafi (UCLA), same for 6, and the same kicker for 7. I think this would fill a lot of our holes. I think Zavala is underrated, as is Mafi. I think this would fill a lot of our remaining holes.

I think these picks would make our draft go from meh to decent. I think we would fill a lot of holes. I'm excited to see what our UDFA class will be as well, considering we are usually very good here.

CashMan

Reaction score
Here are my thoughts for the draft so far.

With our second pick, we took Luke Schoonmacher TE Michigan. Tight end wasn't exactly my top choice for the 2nd round pick. I'd have liked Torrance O'Cyrus as guard is a key need as well. However, I can see the logic. He's a good blocker, and he gives us a nice trio of TEs. For me, this pick is meh. I'll give it a C.
They literally had O'Cyrus that was a projected 1st rder and that could start, as well as Drew Sanders that could start, sitting right there. Instead, they drafted a 3rd string TE.

cristglo

Reaction score
Didn't like the Schoonmaker pick but I do get it. He is a great blocker and he has good hands. A safety blanket for Dak the way that I look at it is Dalton Shultz but he can block and give you some mismatches. He will be a 1st down machine for some of those short yards. He is not a run-over-you kind of guy but he gives you that extra OL in the run game.
Mazi Smith- You thought last year's defense was pretty good, hmmm this year's defense is going to be fearsome.
Add in Overshown Quinn is going to have fun with him.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I agree. But my problems with it he is 25 in September so he is likely maxed out in terms of growing.

The plus is, every Michigan fan I know absolutely loves the kid.
I don't see his age as an issue he can be very productive for at least 7 years which is great

chicago JK

Reaction score
Just really confusing on offense. We lost 3 just a guy starters at rb, te and LG. I thought we would use the draft to improve there while also adding playmakers.

Rb- Zeke had to go. We have no idea if Pollard will be the same player and if he can carry the load full time. There are several running backs left, but will they be ready to produce to start the year?

TE- Dallas feels different. I think the Luke highlights look pretty good. But as a second round pick, he needs to be considered a hands down starter. Just by the video he appears pretty similar talent to our talent in the room last year. We will see.

Lg- this is the big one. Our line has a lot of questions on injuries to players and injury concerns. Plus the depth appears shaky. We play in a division where DT is a strength of every team in the NFC East. There are several guards still available but are they more future players or could they jump in now and not be a massive weak spot on the line to start going against the NFC East monsters?

If they hit on the picks, I feel good about the defense. We will see there. The offense appears not contender worthy at the moment.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dallas could have come away with the following:

1st: DT Mazi Smith
2nd: OG O'Cyrus Torrence
3rd: TE Darnell Washington

Washington is a bigger TE than Schoonmaker and 4 years younger. While there is some concern for his knee, he is a better risk reward pick than the 2nd round reach Dallas just performed. Then Dallas could trade up in the 4th and secure RB Roschon Johnson out of Texas. That would have been a good first 4 rounds for Dallas.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don’t get the Schoonmaker hate. The guy is an upgrade over Schultz as a blocker and is at least as good a pass-catcher with room to improve.

By all accounts he is a hard worker and good locker room guy. They were going TE early this year— after the run on the position in the 2nd round— he ticks all the boxes.

We still have holes at WR and LG, but that is not the kid’s fault lol

Adiba1977

Reaction score

Washington is a bigger TE than Schoonmaker and 4 years younger. While there is some concern for his knee, he is a better risk reward pick than the 2nd round reach Dallas just performed. Then Dallas could trade up in the 4th and secure RB Roschon Johnson out of Texas. That would have been a good first 4 rounds for Dallas.
They were never picking Washington -wasn’t even on their board I bet. Is what it is.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
They were never picking Washington -wasn’t even on their board I bet. Is what it is.
"Tall, thick, young ultra-powerful TE. Will be the 6th OL when he's on the field. That good of a blocker. Low-volume receiver in college but flashed bulldozer YAC talent and has an enormous catch radius though there are some drops on film. All-Pro upside."

Yeah, because he is a better pick than Schoonmaker which is why Dallas wouldn't have taken him.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Just really confusing on offense. We lost 3 just a guy starters at rb, te and LG. I thought we would use the draft to improve there while also adding playmakers.

Rb- Zeke had to go. We have no idea if Pollard will be the same player and if he can carry the load full time. There are several running backs left, but will they be ready to produce to start the year?

TE- Dallas feels different. I think the Luke highlights look pretty good. But as a second round pick, he needs to be considered a hands down starter. Just by the video he appears pretty similar talent to our talent in the room last year. We will see.

Lg- this is the big one. Our line has a lot of questions on injuries to players and injury concerns. Plus the depth appears shaky. We play in a division where DT is a strength of every team in the NFC East. There are several guards still available but are they more future players or could they jump in now and not be a massive weak spot on the line to start going against the NFC East monsters?

If they hit on the picks, I feel good about the defense. We will see there. The offense appears not contender worthy at the moment.
RB is not high on their list. They brought Jones in as RB2 and will likely add a guy on day 3 and leave it at that.

LG is a concern for sure. Thinking they add along the OL today. Pickings are slim at this point. They signed Chumba Wumba to add depth and are moving Ball over to LG as well. Hopefully they add some interior OL talent today.

WR is the big missing piece IMO. The lack of talent at that position severely limited our offense last year. They need to add more speed and skill there to help Dak.

By the looks of things though, it appears MM is serious about focusing on a power running game.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
RB is not high on their list. They brought Jones in as RB2 and will likely add a guy on day 3 and leave it at that.

LG is a concern for sure. Thinking they add along the OL today. Pickings are slim at this point. They signed Chumba Wumba to add depth and are moving Ball over to LG as well. Hopefully they add some interior OL talent today.

WR is the big missing piece IMO. The lack of talent at that position severely limited our offense last year. They need to add more speed and skill there to help Dak.

By the looks of things though, it appears MM is serious about focusing on a power running game.
Then why not draft OG O'Cyrus Torrence instead of a 2nd round TE reach? Torrence would have helped the running game and filled a major need at OG.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Then why not draft OG O'Cyrus Torrence instead of a 2nd round TE reach? Torrence would have helped the running game and filled a major need at OG.
I agree. I would have been fine with Torrance there. But Dallas was focused on TE and after the run in the 2nd round they wanted to get a guy who has the tools as an in line blocker.

How many times did Schultz whiff on blocks? Lol… this kid and Ferg should be a nice 2 TE package that can threaten in both the ground and air attacks

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I agree. I would have been fine with Torrance there. But Dallas was focused on TE and after the run in the 2nd round they wanted to get a guy who has the tools as an in line blocker.

How many times did Schultz whiff on blocks? Lol… this kid and Ferg should be a nice 2 TE package that can threaten in both the ground and air attacks
They could have gottent Washington in the 3rd.....a 6' 7" 275 pound freak who is like a 6th Ol and has pass catching skills.....and younger than Schoonmaker.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
They could have gottent Washington in the 3rd.....a 6' 7" 275 pound freak who is like a 6th Ol and has pass catching skills.....and younger than Schoonmaker.
He is hurt. It’s why he is falling. And he is definitely not as polished as a pass catcher. Dallas is not the only team passing on Washington bro

Carson

Reaction score

TE Coach rated Schoonmaker higher blocking than Washington is why they selected him