CFZ My thoughts on the draft so far, and where I think we should go next

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree. But my problems with it he is 25 in September so he is likely maxed out in terms of growing.

The plus is, every Michigan fan I know absolutely loves the kid.
I dont see how age is something to harp on. What it means is the kid is going to start from day one. There will be no year or two growth. Hes going to kick right in. If you get 5 good years out of the kid, thats plenty.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They literally had O'Cyrus that was a projected 1st rder and that could start, as well as Drew Sanders that could start, sitting right there. Instead, they drafted a 3rd string TE.
Hes not a 3rd string TE. Hes our #1 TE. NOw if you want to be ignorant and believe that its up to you. AS far as Torrence I was diappointed too.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I agree. But my problems with it he is 25 in September so he is likely maxed out in terms of growing.

The plus is, every Michigan fan I know absolutely loves the kid.

Love that last part, brother and law the biggest Michigan and Lions fan had nothing but high praise for him and we even watch some games of his last night, so he showed some clips of his to me. Love the pick.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I agree. I would have been fine with Torrance there. But Dallas was focused on TE and after the run in the 2nd round they wanted to get a guy who has the tools as an in line blocker.

How many times did Schultz whiff on blocks? Lol… this kid and Ferg should be a nice 2 TE package that can threaten in both the ground and air attacks

A lot Schultz man blow up the RB on third down and now here we are punting and sometimes it would be short yards needed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Overshown is going to be a good pick for us. I think our defence is going to be top notch, especially with yet another hard hitting LB.
I like him. Just dont love him. At 229 I dont love him. He will be more of a Kearse type which is fine. He will definitely strengthen our nickel. This almost certainly spells the end for Cox.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like him. Just dont love him. At 229 I dont love him. He will be more of a Kearse type which is fine. He will definitely strengthen our nickel. This almost certainly spells the end for Cox.

I think that's going to be a good role for him, and I think this team will benefit. Especially with the fact we now have a bonafide NT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think that's going to be a good role for him, and I think this team will benefit. Especially with the fact we now have a bonafide NT.
Mazi was a shockingly great pick. Makes me really get behind MM and Quinn and what they have done to this roster. Safety and DT were the two big areas we never addressed. Now they are done. You can throw TE in as well.

Im really distraught over the guard hole, but if we come away with a RB like Roschon Johnson or Isreal Ibanakanda I will be happy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This, shoot I like him more but overall I love what we are doing.

Exactly, we've built our defence (and, with Overshown's abilities, special teams) to where, all the offense has to do is just drive the bus. Our defence is going to be strong, quick, and hard hitting. That means we will see more short fields, if all goes as planned. All the offense has to do is just drive the bus and put points on the board. Their job can't get much easier.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mazi was a shockingly great pick. Makes me really get behind MM and Quinn and what they have done to this roster. Safety and DT were the two big areas we never addressed. Now they are done. You can throw TE in as well.

Im really distraught over the guard hole, but if we come away with a RB like Roschon Johnson or Isreal Ibanakanda I will be happy.

I've been, as most on here know, pleading for a NT for a while. I'm glad we finally have that and safety addressed. I'm not thrilled by the hole at guard either, but there's only so much that can be fixed in the draft (which is why the FO should be more proactive in FA). If we come away with Johnson or Ibanakanda, I think this team will be ready. If we can do that, the rest, imo, is really up to Dak. We have a solid WR room. Our TE room looks formidable. We've got the defence. If we can get Ryland from Maryland, our special teams will be ready imo. All Dak will have to do is just drive the bus.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I've been, as most on here know, pleading for a NT for a while. I'm glad we finally have that and safety addressed. I'm not thrilled by the hole at guard either, but there's only so much that can be fixed in the draft (which is why the FO should be more proactive in FA). If we come away with Johnson or Ibanakanda, I think this team will be ready. If we can do that, the rest, imo, is really up to Dak. We have a solid WR room. Our TE room looks formidable. We've got the defence. If we can get Ryland from Maryland, our special teams will be ready imo. All Dak will have to do is just drive the bus.

Bingo, been said you are not going to be able to get all your groceries at one store, certain things are not offered there, so you will have to shop elsewhere ( using a little of the great Tuna there). You have to be active in FA also. No you don’t have to spend like a drunken sailor but you can’t just shop at Goodwill either.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When are you people going to learn that its NOT up to the QB to win games or titles? He simply cant control enough things for that.

And NO way are we beating the best teams with great defenses with the Oline we have. Unless we are going to hold them to 15 points per game.

And how do you know that all Dak has to do is drive the bus? Do you even know who we are playing in the playoffs? Do you know what injuries we are going to have? Nonsense.

If you want to say SOMEONE has everything they need, then its MM. It would make sense to say MM has everything he needs to win one. Even though I dont feel we do.

And lets imagine that the Cowboys did FINALLY have a championship squad. If they dont win it the very first year they have one its somebodies fault? LOL They HAVE TO win it all the VERY FIRST YEAR THEY HAVE ONE?

Just sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bingo, been said you are not going to be able to get all your groceries at one store, certain things are not offered there, so you will have to shop elsewhere ( using a little of the great Tuna there). You have to be active in FA also. No you don’t have to spend like a drunken sailor but you can’t just shop at Goodwill either.
Yep, Cowboys should have signed a quality starting guard in FA. Why didnt they?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When are you people going to learn that its NOT up to the QB to win games or titles? He simply cant control enough things for that.

And NO way are we beating the best teams with great defenses with the Oline we have. Unless we are going to hold them to 15 points per game.

And how do you know that all Dak has to do is drive the bus? Do you even know who we are playing in the playoffs? Do you know what injuries we are going to have? Nonsense.

If you want to say SOMEONE has everything they need, then its MM. It would make sense to say MM has everything he needs to win one. Even though I dont feel we do.

And lets imagine that the Cowboys did FINALLY have a championship squad. If they dont win it the very first year they have one its somebodies fault? LOL They HAVE TO win it all the VERY FIRST YEAR THEY HAVE ONE?

Just sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

I get that we have a hole at guard if Tyron goes down (and I do expect that guard will be addressed today as well). However, I like what this team has. I like Dak a lot, but come on, this team has a supercharged defence, on paper. I like what we have at WR and at TE. I think our RB room, especially if we get Johnson, McBride, or the one from Pitt, will be very good. With the shift to WCO, I think that'll be good because it'll allow Dak quicker passes. That's where Dak comes in to drive the bus. His job, as with most WCO styles, is going to be to hit the WR in stride. The curl routes are likely going to be replaced by slant routes. This means the WR will be at full momentum when catching the ball. This is why I said that it's really up to Dak. What he can control is how quickly he gets the ball out. Between Pollard, Malik Davis, the new RB coming soon, the WRs, and TEs, he's going to have weapons. His job is going to be to use those weapons and get the ball in space with them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Swap out the TE for Torrence and you have an A/B+ Draft. IMHO OG is way more important than a blocking TE. A guard who held up to the supposed best DT in the draft mind you.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Exactly, you can't expect all you draft picks to be steak. And your entire roster can't be steak. There's going to have to be some hamburger, and the players are going to have to work with it.