CFZ My thoughts on the WR market

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
- I do believe they have every intention of getting another starting WR before the draft. That doesnt necessarily mean they will pull the trigger on anything, but I would be surprised

- I think Beckham is their top priority right now. He gives them a starting WR without using any draft assets. There are some things that can go wrong, like price and the Jets with Rodgers

- Right now I have Hopkins as more like than Cooks because Hopkins is apparently willing to re do his deal to facilitate a trade. They tried to trade for Cooks at the deadline, but the ask was a first. That right there is a big reason why I think Hopkins would be more likely. Anything more than a 3rd for Cooks is too rich IMO. Cooks is a guy Im not betting on, because I dont see the ask dropping to Dallas's comfortable level.

-Jeudy isnt happening. Word is Denver is open to trading their WR's if they get the right offer, but are more than comfortable holding. That lines up with a 1st round ask for Jeudy. They arent coming down from that. Sutton however could be more a possibility. I think the ask for him would be a day 3 pick. His contract will have to get redone. If all else fails I can Sutton being their last ditch opportunity to add a starting WR. He probably isnt any better than Gallup, but he is probably equivalent to pre injury Gallup.

conner01

Reaction score
I think you are right on most. I don’t think Sutton is worth his contract. To me he’s just another Gallup who got more targets
But I think OBJ is their preference, but he’s got to come back to reality on what he’s worth. The only way I pay him top WR range money is if most of it is incentives based on availability and performance
He’s not worth no 20 mil

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you are right on most. I don’t think Sutton is worth his contract. To me he’s just another Gallup who got more targets
But I think OBJ is their preference, but he’s got to come back to reality on what he’s worth. The only way I pay him top WR range money is if most of it is incentives based on availability and performance
He’s not worth no 20 mil
If they trade for Sutton, they would definitely re do gis contract

JBS

Reaction score
im not sure I agree on Jeudy. I bet he gets moved for less than a 1

tm1119

Reaction score
Mecole Hardman is looking more and more enticing to me, he would bring an element of a speed deep threat to the offense we lack. If JuJu and Myers signed for 3/33 I imagine Hardman is looking at something like 3/27. Hardman + a 1st or 2nd round pick would represent a big upgrade without breaking the bank

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- I do believe they have every intention of getting another starting WR before the draft. That doesnt necessarily mean they will pull the trigger on anything, but I would be surprised

- I think Beckham is their top priority right now. He gives them a starting WR without using any draft assets. There are some things that can go wrong, like price and the Jets with Rodgers

- Right now I have Hopkins as more like than Cooks because Hopkins is apparently willing to re do his deal to facilitate a trade. They tried to trade for Cooks at the deadline, but the ask was a first. That right there is a big reason why I think Hopkins would be more likely. Anything more than a 3rd for Cooks is too rich IMO. Cooks is a guy Im not betting on, because I dont see the ask dropping to Dallas's comfortable level.

-Jeudy isnt happening. Word is Denver is open to trading their WR's if they get the right offer, but are more than comfortable holding. That lines up with a 1st round ask for Jeudy. They arent coming down from that. Sutton however could be more a possibility. I think the ask for him would be a day 3 pick. His contract will have to get redone. If all else fails I can Sutton being their last ditch opportunity to add a starting WR. He probably isnt any better than Gallup, but he is probably equivalent to pre injury Gallup.
-Beckham is still considered the heavy favorite. He fill all the boxes if he is indeed healthy now and no compensation.
-Don't believe Hopkins is even on our radar, he is over 30 and makes too much money.
-Cooks still could be in play via trade, but the Cowboys would like to restructure his contract.
-Juedy's price is too high and the Cowboys won't meet their demands.
-Team created a lot of space recently, it is for a reason, is it for a WR or perhaps start resigning some of their core players?
-Perfect world we land a legitimate #2 prior to the draft and add another weapon, either WR or TE

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
-Beckham is still considered the heavy favorite. He fill all the boxes if he is indeed healthy now and no compensation.
-Don't believe Hopkins is even on our radar, he is over 30 and makes too much money.
-Cooks still could be in play via trade, but the Cowboys would like to restructure his contract.
-Team created a lot of space recently, it is for a reason, is it for a WR or perhaps start resigning some of their core players?
-Perfect world we land a legitimate #2 prior to the draft and add another weapon, either WR or TE
If Hopkins isnt on our radar, Cooks definitely isn't either. Cooks is expensive too and is only a year younger than Hopkins. Hopkins game also ages much better thans Cooks does. He has also stated he is willing to be flexible with his contract if traded. I Hopkins as a significantly better value than Cooks

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Hop is 3 months older than odell and odell is asking for as much as Hopkins

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I think somehow Cedrick Wilson end up back on this team. Either by trade in which Miami picks up the $5 million guaranteed or sign after he is a cap casualty. He might not be splashy as the other names but if he could replicate in 2021 season stats that would take a lot of pressure off Lamb and he would be cheap.

Mannix

Reaction score

El Passo on Cooks.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I think somehow Cedrick Wilson end up back on this team. Either by trade in which Miami picks up the $5 million guaranteed or sign after he is a cap casualty. He might not be splashy as the other names but if he could replicate in 2021 season stats that would take a lot of pressure off Lamb and he would be cheap.
This would be a great addition

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I am a huge Hopkins fan. I think he plays with heart, his game is very suited for Dak and he has GREAT hands.

I'm definitely not in on OBJ. I think he has attitude issues and how many WR's do you know coming off back to back ACL injuries/repairs/rehabs ??? I think he's trying to mine some of Booger's money and I see him as a mercenary only. Hopkins on the other hand wants to be here.

All this still leaves us without a speed burner WR.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I am a huge Hopkins fan. I think he plays with heart, his game is very suited for Dak and he has GREAT hands.

I'm definitely not in on OBJ. I think he has attitude issues and how many WR's do you know coming off back to back ACL injuries/repairs/rehabs ??? I think he's trying to mine some of Booger's money and I see him as a mercenary only. Hopkins on the other hand wants to be here.

All this still leaves us without a speed burner WR.
Agree 100% - would much rather trade for Hopkins instead of signing OBJ especially if he is will to work with the contract.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Man, they really screwed the pooch when they shipped Cooper off for a bag of Doritos.

For $15-20 million a year, I would rather have Cooper than all these other guys being mentioned from Cooks to Hopkins to OBJ to Juedy to Sutton, ect...

So, let me get this straight, we are going to end up paying pretty much what Cooper was being paid AND we might have to give up draft capital as well to try to replace the production of a guy we already had on the roster. I got that right?

Either that or we are forced to burn a 1st on a WR and hope he doesnt bust..............at least these idiots acknowledged they totally botched the WR position, doesnt help anything now, but at least they admitted what a huge blunder they made.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hop is 3 months older than odell and odell is asking for as much as Hopkins
I would think that Beckhams “real Cap cost per year” should be less than $15m per year and that’s being generous. If I were the Cowboys I would offer him a low base salary and make him salivate and chase the incentives.

Verdict

Reaction score
Man, they really screwed the pooch when they shipped Cooper off for a bag of Doritos.

For $15-20 million a year, I would rather have Cooper than all these other guys being mentioned from Cooks to Hopkins to OBJ to Juedy to Sutton, ect...

So, let me get this straight, we are going to end up paying pretty much what Cooper was being paid AND we might have to give up draft capital as well to try to replace the production of a guy we already had on the roster. I got that right?

Either that or we are forced to burn a 1st on a WR and hope he doesnt bust..............at least these idiots acknowledged they totally botched the WR position, doesnt help anything now, but at least they admitted what a huge blunder they made.
There is a reason why Cooper was allowed to leave the Raiders in a trade. I don’t think we will ever know the full story.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Just do what's necessary and get Hopkins and put this thing to bed.

He is the best choice out there and I believe wants to play here and be a cowboy

T-RO

Reaction score
There is a reason why Cooper was allowed to leave the Raiders in a trade. I don’t think we will ever know the full story.

My hunch is that we do know the story.

Cooper's body language, facial expressions gets severely mis-interpreted in my opinion. His quiet temperament feeds into that misinterpretation. People, including coaches and NFL execs read it as disinterested or lacking passion. Key aspect to departures from Raiders and Cowboys, IMO.

And Jerry's hangup on one issue surrounding Cooper is a flat embarrassment of Jerry's ignorance.