CFZ My thoughts on the WR market

offlimits

Reaction score
I think you are right on most. I don’t think Sutton is worth his contract. To me he’s just another Gallup who got more targets
But I think OBJ is their preference, but he’s got to come back to reality on what he’s worth. The only way I pay him top WR range money is if most of it is incentives based on availability and performance
He’s not worth no 20 mil
OBJ is a massive ? Would you gamble on a player that you have no idea what you are getting and you want to stick him in the starting lineup? I'm going to give that surgically repaired knee an MRI and he MUST work out for me. Agree. No picks involved but so many intangibles that must be sorted out.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m. Many here would welcome the return of Cedric Wilson. I'm one of them.
Is our FO is leery of their image being tarnished by such a humble move? :huh:

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
H-m-m. Many here would welcome the return of Cedric Wilson. I'm one of them.
Is our FO is leery of their image being tarnished by such a humble move? :huh:
I'm not an advocate of spend, spend, spend, but the criteria we need in this WR question is who best improves the receiving game irrespective of cost or name. Its the bargain tires on a Ferrari theory. When the receiving/Dak conduit was the top reason we stalled in the play-offs and this Conference is easily winnable then for once we upgrade based on need, not price/name.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If Hopkins isnt on our radar, Cooks definitely isn't either. Cooks is expensive too and is only a year younger than Hopkins. Hopkins game also ages much better thans Cooks does. He has also stated he is willing to be flexible with his contract if traded. I Hopkins as a significantly better value than Cooks
In any event for the two players we would need to trade for (Hopkins/Cooks), the team would have to rework their deals. Don't think they want to add another 20 million receiver to their cap. Also, we have to keep in mind, what type of compensation would each require in a trade. Hopkins is going to cost, where Cooks maybe little cheaper.

I really think they can land OBJ for a lesser contract, give up no compensation and he is a mixture of both players. Many still believe he can stretch the field, has a big catch radius and yac abilities like Hopkins. Question is, how healthy is he and is he close to the player he was with the Rams. As a #2 receiver, he was real good in the playoffs.

Perfect world, they land one of these type of veteran receivers and add another via the draft. The positional group goes from a weakness to more of a strength.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jeudy as the 2 would be nice. A 1 straight-up seems too high but I’d get creative and make that happen. Maybe a 1 for Jeudy and a 3.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go pick up DEF-LINE as WR is a wasted commodity in Dallas.
Dez and Coop we both underutilized here and eventually gone or thrown under the bus.

conner01

Reaction score
OBJ is a massive ? Would you gamble on a player that you have no idea what you are getting and you want to stick him in the starting lineup? I'm going to give that surgically repaired knee an MRI and he MUST work out for me. Agree. No picks involved but so many intangibles that must be sorted out.
He is a gamble but it’s been a long time since his surgery. I’d make everyone, and I’m sure they do, take a physical. And if there are question you explore more. But the best thing going for him is no pick. He’s also an outside guy that allows us to use lamb moving around and inside. I think lamb is at his best moving at the snaps.I would structure a deal where he gets decent money but has incentives that can earn him more. Insentives fir playing time and production. It doesn’t matter if he cost 10-12 million if he earns it. At his age I think to get big money you have to earn it
But I’d do that with as many players as I could
I get why players want guaranteed money and don’t blame them. But to me if a guy wants top 10 type money at his position, some of that should be some reasonable incentives. I

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Beating a dead horse with my opinion on this but there’s too many variables with obj
- is he healthy?
- can he be the same player he used to be or close?
- incentive laden deal for a guy who already feels underpaid and has demanded touches in the past
-off the field stuff being distraction….ie the plane incident. He’s a lightning rod for the press add him here and it’s gonna be ridiculous even at a 10% chance why take this risk?

Jeudy won’t happen. I’d bite the bullet and get hop. Costs draft assets but the only question is will he play? NOT can he. If he plays he can produce. It may be for 13 games but he’ll give you the production with less chance of headache or distraction and is open to being flexible on a deal…..he also wants to be here.

If we had said we would get d hop and Gilmore for a 2nd & two 5ths we would all sign up for that

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, they really screwed the pooch when they shipped Cooper off for a bag of Doritos.

For $15-20 million a year, I would rather have Cooper than all these other guys being mentioned from Cooks to Hopkins to OBJ to Juedy to Sutton, ect...

So, let me get this straight, we are going to end up paying pretty much what Cooper was being paid AND we might have to give up draft capital as well to try to replace the production of a guy we already had on the roster. I got that right?

Either that or we are forced to burn a 1st on a WR and hope he doesnt bust..............at least these idiots acknowledged they totally botched the WR position, doesnt help anything now, but at least they admitted what a huge blunder they made.
I think that move was not about contract and performance.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My hunch is that we do know the story.

Cooper's body language, facial expressions gets severely mis-interpreted in my opinion. His quiet temperament feeds into that misinterpretation. People, including coaches and NFL execs read it as disinterested or lacking passion. Key aspect to departures from Raiders and Cowboys, IMO.

And Jerry's hangup on one issue surrounding Cooper is a flat embarrassment of Jerry's ignorance.
Beat me to it.

JBond

Reaction score
Hardman for cheap. Chark if they want to spend a bit more. The rest of this thread is just known name associated.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Tough time to make a trade. Most if not all teams are in rebuild and improve mode. All of them have playoff hopes and most harbor deep playoff hopes. Even last year's bottom feeders are dreaming about "worst to first." The trade deadline in midseason is an easier time to work a trade for a really good player. Now having said all of that I think the Cowboys should be ready to trade draft picks for a good WR or a good DT. I suggest possibly offering their number 2 (Dallas has poor luck with that pick it seems) and perhaps a number 5 (they have gobs of those type picks) in some sort of a package. Getting a good solid healthy player at a position of real need is better than gambling on potential and hoping for the best.

Rayman70

Reaction score
for me my FA wr list is this. Hopkins, TY Hilton and Isahiah McKensie. I want Hopkins badly, but if we cant, I want TY and McKensie both. Then draft a guy. McKensie was just released in Buffalo.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be okay with a 3rd in 2023 and 4th in 2024 for Jeudy but no more. Better yet a 5th and Joseph would be just fine since Broncos need a CB.

Just a reminder as of today, Dallas has the 4th most free cap space in the NFL.