CFZ My thoughts on the WR market

starfan1

Reaction score
My hunch is that we do know the story.

Cooper's body language, facial expressions gets severely mis-interpreted in my opinion. His quiet temperament feeds into that misinterpretation. People, including coaches and NFL execs read it as disinterested or lacking passion. Key aspect to departures from Raiders and Cowboys, IMO.

And Jerry's hangup on one issue surrounding Cooper is a flat embarrassment of Jerry's ignorance.
Does Jerry have the jab? Enquiring minds want to know lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
- I do believe they have every intention of getting another starting WR before the draft. That doesnt necessarily mean they will pull the trigger on anything, but I would be surprised

- I think Beckham is their top priority right now. He gives them a starting WR without using any draft assets. There are some things that can go wrong, like price and the Jets with Rodgers

- Right now I have Hopkins as more like than Cooks because Hopkins is apparently willing to re do his deal to facilitate a trade. They tried to trade for Cooks at the deadline, but the ask was a first. That right there is a big reason why I think Hopkins would be more likely. Anything more than a 3rd for Cooks is too rich IMO. Cooks is a guy Im not betting on, because I dont see the ask dropping to Dallas's comfortable level.

-Jeudy isnt happening. Word is Denver is open to trading their WR's if they get the right offer, but are more than comfortable holding. That lines up with a 1st round ask for Jeudy. They arent coming down from that. Sutton however could be more a possibility. I think the ask for him would be a day 3 pick. His contract will have to get redone. If all else fails I can Sutton being their last ditch opportunity to add a starting WR. He probably isnt any better than Gallup, but he is probably equivalent to pre injury Gallup.
Why would they pay OBJ 20 million when they just let Cooper walk because he made 22 million? I think thats what you want them to do.

Jeudy is definitely better than Gallup, but too expensive in draft compensation and will want to much to resign.

All these options you are listing our too expensive. Go out and get Jarvis Landry for 6 million and call it day. Its all we need.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
-Beckham is still considered the heavy favorite. He fill all the boxes if he is indeed healthy now and no compensation.
-Don't believe Hopkins is even on our radar, he is over 30 and makes too much money.
-Cooks still could be in play via trade, but the Cowboys would like to restructure his contract.
-Juedy's price is too high and the Cowboys won't meet their demands.
-Team created a lot of space recently, it is for a reason, is it for a WR or perhaps start resigning some of their core players?
-Perfect world we land a legitimate #2 prior to the draft and add another weapon, either WR or TE
All wishful thinking. This is what you want them to do, not what is best for the team. Improve the passing game by improving the Oline and the run game. All we need at WR is a quality #3. Getting Mayer in the first would help as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Man, they really screwed the pooch when they shipped Cooper off for a bag of Doritos.

For $15-20 million a year, I would rather have Cooper than all these other guys being mentioned from Cooks to Hopkins to OBJ to Juedy to Sutton, ect...

So, let me get this straight, we are going to end up paying pretty much what Cooper was being paid AND we might have to give up draft capital as well to try to replace the production of a guy we already had on the roster. I got that right?

Either that or we are forced to burn a 1st on a WR and hope he doesnt bust..............at least these idiots acknowledged they totally botched the WR position, doesnt help anything now, but at least they admitted what a huge blunder they made.
disagree he was due 22mil and that way too much for a 2....he wasn't practicing had reoccurring issues with his foot and that OTHER stuff..hes gone, move on ,and IMO was the right move, wrong move was counting on gallup coming back 100% quicker then he did was an oversite NOT BOTCHED i mean Godwin had great rebo8nd season..they were expecting that given the same surgery time and injury,

maybe keeping Ced would have helped IN Hindsight but cooper in no way shape or form would have got us furither, proof raiders, cowboys , and browns how many championship games and sbs has AC played in. elevated that teams? we have that group from 18-21 did we make it past the 2nd round, NO??

saying he was the answer last year is comical given facts we already know but i posted. where's this elite wrs career years , DEz had 3 in row, Coopper has none, not one special elite season where he was the best wr in football or close to it, lie JJ etc like Kupp, dez had 3 again cooper had none

his motivation isnt perceived wrong, , its hes comfortable being good but greatness to be jerry rice or TO even he lacks that passion and no way he as worth 22mil..show me where he was willing to take 15-16mil here?? if he at that time came to the fo and said ill redo may deal for 15 hed still be here..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All wishful thinking. This is what you want them to do, not what is best for the team. Improve the passing game by improving the Oline and the run game. All we need at WR is a quality #3. Getting Mayer in the first would help as well.
I think they do need a legitimate #2 and they cannot just hope Gallup returns to prior form. Fixing the OL, run game are just as important. My hope they address the receiver need in fa or trade market, then draft an elite TE, starting caliber guard and a quality starting running back within the top 4 picks. TE/RB classes are very deep this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think they do need a legitimate #2 and they cannot just hope Gallup returns to prior form. Fixing the OL, run game are just as important. My hope they address the receiver need in fa or trade market, then draft an elite TE, starting caliber guard and a quality starting running back within the top 4 picks. TE/RB classes are very deep this year.
Of course they can hope he returns to form. Are supposed to assume he wont and then bring in some #2 they dont need? I would rather see them get a high end quality #3. Then go out and get that TE in the first or 2nd. Its just NOT a good year for WR's in the draft. Its the year to nab a TE.

Im all for TE/Guard with the first two pick and then a RB after that.

FoxF

Reaction score
I do feel like TY Hilton made plays for us last year when given the opportunity. Never understood why they didn't utilize him more and hope they bring him back next year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
sure BUT talking trades for cooks, Jeudy or Dhop those are 1s not 2s and too much to invest for 2A.. Chark, Jarvis or similar is a 2..I mean OBJ on a structured contract ie 10 base , with the ability to earn 15 with play time and achieving certain production at yards and tds etc..that could work.

in 18 we needed a 1 we traded for cooper, we do not need a 1 we need a 2A type and then draft another wr rounds 1-3

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- I do believe they have every intention of getting another starting WR before the draft. That doesnt necessarily mean they will pull the trigger on anything, but I would be surprised

- I think Beckham is their top priority right now. He gives them a starting WR without using any draft assets. There are some things that can go wrong, like price and the Jets with Rodgers

- Right now I have Hopkins as more like than Cooks because Hopkins is apparently willing to re do his deal to facilitate a trade. They tried to trade for Cooks at the deadline, but the ask was a first. That right there is a big reason why I think Hopkins would be more likely. Anything more than a 3rd for Cooks is too rich IMO. Cooks is a guy Im not betting on, because I dont see the ask dropping to Dallas's comfortable level.

-Jeudy isnt happening. Word is Denver is open to trading their WR's if they get the right offer, but are more than comfortable holding. That lines up with a 1st round ask for Jeudy. They arent coming down from that. Sutton however could be more a possibility. I think the ask for him would be a day 3 pick. His contract will have to get redone. If all else fails I can Sutton being their last ditch opportunity to add a starting WR. He probably isnt any better than Gallup, but he is probably equivalent to pre injury Gallup.
I think the Texans are determined to trade Cooks and will end up taking whatever they can get for him. That's likely a 4th or 5th round pick

I'm not certain that AZ is as desperate to trade Hopkins.

OBJ is strictly a money issue. Not just salary but also issues with guaranted money. The Cowboys might offer him 1M base plus 1M per game played. Then if he only plays 2 games he only gets 2M but if he plays all 17 then it's 18M. If he wants a standard salary then I doubt they exceed 11M per.

They did that type of contract with Greg Hardy. Even if they made him a healthy scratch, he wouldn't get payed for that game. It protects the team against both injury and lack of performance issues.

I think.Hardy was 1M plus 500K per game played.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Man, they really screwed the pooch when they shipped Cooper off for a bag of Doritos.

For $15-20 million a year, I would rather have Cooper than all these other guys being mentioned from Cooks to Hopkins to OBJ to Juedy to Sutton, ect...

So, let me get this straight, we are going to end up paying pretty much what Cooper was being paid AND we might have to give up draft capital as well to try to replace the production of a guy we already had on the roster. I got that right?

Either that or we are forced to burn a 1st on a WR and hope he doesnt bust..............at least these idiots acknowledged they totally botched the WR position, doesnt help anything now, but at least they admitted what a huge blunder they made.
How many times did Cooper disappear in big games? THAT’S why he’s no longer on this team.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Mecole Hardman is looking more and more enticing to me, he would bring an element of a speed deep threat to the offense we lack. If JuJu and Myers signed for 3/33 I imagine Hardman is looking at something like 3/27. Hardman + a 1st or 2nd round pick would represent a big upgrade without breaking the bank
Hardman is a nice piece, but probably not the piece we need.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
sure BUT talking trades for cooks, Jeudy or Dhop those are 1s not 2s and too much to invest for 2A.. Chark, Jarvis or similar is a 2..I mean OBJ on a structured contract ie 10 base , with the ability to earn 15 with play time and achieving certain production at yards and tds etc..that could work.

in 18 we needed a 1 we traded for cooper, we do not need a 1 we need a 2A type and then draft another wr rounds 1-3
Major question marks health wise with both Chark/Hardman and they aren't considered high end #2 receivers either. The draft has a lot of undersized receivers. Think they will address the need with a veteran, OBJ who someone on that same level, not another James Washington type of signing.

Mannix

Reaction score
I would totally be fine with Lamb, Hopkins along with Cedric Wilson back in the fold.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Major question marks health wise with both Chark/Hardman and they aren't considered high end #2 receivers either. The draft has a lot of undersized receivers. Think they will address the need with a veteran, OBJ who someone on that same level, not another James Washington type of signing.
Chark works if Gallup comes back to form. Chark has averaged 55 yards after his rookie year. If he can do that and Gallup is back to pre injury form, that could actually be a pretty solid trio. Though Chark is injury prone, and both he an Gallup are best as vertical WR's

Landryhat73

Reaction score
How many times did Cooper disappear in big games? THAT’S why he’s no longer on this team.
Think it also had a lot to do with the Covid issue, missing games then showing up at the Mavericks game. Think he was viewed as unreliable, didn’t practice much - trust was lost

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I would totally be fine with Lamb, Hopkins along with Cedric Wilson back in the fold.
Think Cedric Wilson is very realistic but I don’t think Miami just releases him because of the cap. I would make a trade giving up nothing (flip of 7s, what ever) as long as the Dolphins pick up half his guarantee. Cedrick Wilson at $4.5 next year would be a good deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why aren't the Cowboys calling in DJ Chark? He could possibly become a decent #3. Big body (6'4"), very good speed (4.34 40 back in 2018) and can play short, mid and deep. They had better do something as they are almost out of options.
Excellent suggestion. This WR is underrated. He's still young, and market value is around 9-10 million. Would love to see him on the Cowboys.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Chark works if Gallup comes back to form. Chark has averaged 55 yards after his rookie year. If he can do that and Gallup is back to pre injury form, that could actually be a pretty solid trio. Though Chark is injury prone, and both he an Gallup are best as vertical WR's
Chark has a long injury history which is why he will be playing for his 3rd team in 3 years. He hasn't played a full season in his entire career. No way I would give him a multi-year 10 million plus contract a year.

Flamma

Reaction score
OBJ is a massive ? Would you gamble on a player that you have no idea what you are getting and you want to stick him in the starting lineup? I'm going to give that surgically repaired knee an MRI and he MUST work out for me. Agree. No picks involved but so many intangibles that must be sorted out.
I think OBJ is out. That tweet that said 4 aint enough. If anyone takes that to mean Dak isn't good enough, he's out.