My thoughts

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
There was nothing around him. The receivers gave him little chance and the running game was suspect at best. Install a real running game, get a healthy Dez in there and then you start to see what Kellen Moore can do. Even without all of that, he showed a few things in the loss yesterday.
Disagree on the running game being suspect, unless you mean the game plan. It was vanilla (no tosses or Lucky sweeps to spread out the defense), we had a 17-yarder brought back on a terrible holding call, and we still averaged 4.8 ypc. If they were really coaching to win, I think we'd have run more these last two games, and we sure would have run more creatively in this game.

Your other point is valid though. No Dez to worry about, so the defense -- which is a pretty good one -- takes Witten away completely. It was like what Weeden had to work with against the Patriots. I only wish he'd played better than Weeden did against the Patriots, especially considering that the Bills had nothing to play for. That was disappointing after what he showed the previous week.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a player needs a long term deal to get in the right mind it's never going to happen. They'd be wise to avoid giving him any real commitment.

Agree. They would be wise to find a young hungry thumper type MLB in the draft.

That is not the point, it isn't always black and white.
Give a player, as in any person who works at any job, a semblance of job steady job security, they will perform better, think better, try to be better.
A 2 or 3 year deal with incentives would be good in this case. Key word "incentives" or did you choose to ignore that part.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
That is not the point, it isn't always black and white.
Give a player, as in any person who works at any job, a semblance of job steady job security, they will perform better, think better, try to be better.
A 2 or 3 year deal with incentives would be good in this case. Key word "incentives" or did you choose to ignore that part.

Dude is beginning to resemble a headcase. We tried. Let's get someone in here that hasn't been poisoned by two lackluster systems.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Wanted to say that I really respect your posts generally and your consistently positive thoughts about how the team can move forward. Your point about Moore hits home - the guy is a "baller" but he doesn't have the requisite physical attributes to stick with this team...

I like his football smarts. he knew where to go with the ball lastnight, but he just didnt have the physical tools to get it there. Theres nothing you can do about that.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
LMs thoughts are dead on
Romo had never really been on great shape coming into the season but gas been able to overcome it
Now with back injuries he cannot afford that
If he really wants to play 2-3 more years he will need to dedicate himself to football/working out in the off season as well

No they are not.

Where LM was right - He needs to be in great shape. But where have you ever heard he has missed or not participated in the entire off season workout program? With the back surgery he was limited obviously but those guys get specific programs suited to their position and injury status and those programs are monitored by the team. If he ever missed a workout (he simply wouldn't) it would be news. He might not be ripped heading into camp but he's not out of shape.

Where LM was wrong - he stated there were plenty of articles on Romo's playing golf and basketball when it's pretty well known he's shut golf down until he retires and if he plays a pick up basketball game here or there - so what, he was coming off an MVP season.

Again - I'm not disagreeing with his premises Romo needs to be in the best shape of his life going into next season and I believe he will be. The other part was piling on a bit.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
There was nothing around him. The receivers gave him little chance and the running game was suspect at best. Install a real running game, get a healthy Dez in there and then you start to see what Kellen Moore can do. Even without all of that, he showed a few things in the loss yesterday.

He had one of the best O lines in football around him, and Free even had a good game.
He threw some balls that looked like a Jr High QB. His pick was a five yard pass in traffic that was 2 feet off.

There's no question that he has skills, but not enough at this level. His 50-3 college record would have looked a lot different against a major conference schedule.

I might be thrilled to have KM as a son-in-law, but not as QB of my NFL team.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
He had one of the best O lines in football around him, and Free even had a good game.
He threw some balls that looked like a Jr High QB. His pick was a five yard pass in traffic that was 2 feet off.

There's no question that he has skills, but not enough at this level. His 50-3 college record would have looked a lot different against a major conference schedule.

I might be thrilled to have KM as a son-in-law, but not as QB of my NFL team.

For those of you prematurely hating on a QB that has not been given a true shot to show what he can do with a real running strategy behind him and a true #1 receiver to rely on... I believe KM has potential to be an outstanding backup option.. not a starter. The guy deserves a longer look for that very reason. A reliable backup option... You know. The very thing our mensa front office whiffed on in the past few years. Yeah.. That.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I would do 3 things with the QB position.

1. Look forward to a healthy returning Romo with an eye squarely peeled for the next big star in big D at the position.

2. Draft the next big star QB with that top 4 pick.

3. Keep KM and Showers both around to battle it out in TC for the final 53 next year. If both show promise, one makes the final 53 and the other goes to the PS.

Bada boom. Bada bing.

PS. Then our very next pick should be a RB.

PSS. This formula eliminates Jerry's propensity to want to go get JFB during the offseason.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Brice Butler, if this kid gets early work with Romo in the offseason and can develop some chemistry with him, if they can get Romo to dedicate some offseason to training instead of golf and pickup backetball they could have something real nice opposite Dez. Butler does something that Williams cant and thats create seperation off the snap. Think McClay found another sleeper here.

I think I was most pleased by Butler's ability to catch contested passes. He made a few grabs Williams would have had knocked away while trying to let them get to his body.

I had hopes that Williams would improve this season, but I haven't seen it. I know some of that is him not having Romo throwing him passes, but he also hasn't taken advantage of the passes that have gone his way.

I think Dallas needs to look to improve his spot. If that simply means that Butler is given a legitimate shot at beating him out in the preseason, so be it. But I would prefer we just add a legitimate threat opposite Bryant in the offseason.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Romo's absence has been a convenient excuse for several players and coaches since week 2.

Sydla

Reaction score
They couldve just let it heal properly. He took the minimal amount of time to come back. That bone wasnt healed 100%.

True but what does this have to do with you talking about his offseason and how playing golf has apparently affected his physical condition?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Romo's absence has been a convenient excuse for several players and coaches since week 2.

Well, I don't think we can deny its effects. However, I also don't think we can blame every problem on it.

I have no doubt we would be leading the East right now with Romo, partly because it is a weak division this year. However, being without him has allowed the warts to surface that his played has covered up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Outdated stuff regarding Romo.
Crap never was true anyway unless you want someone to never have any non-football activities.
By ALL accounts of anyone that knows him...the guy is obsessed with football.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I suggest you go over to dc.com because in the offseason they had alot of articles of what he was doing in the offseason. Its the offseason but he looks sloppy and has for a few yrs now. Im sure some of that has to do with the state of his body. But if he cant put in the time to keep a healthy body and keep his body from being so frail then he needs to hang up them cleats.

No, he's right...your whole premis regarding Romo was way off...as always.

The rest had some merit though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
LMs thoughts are dead on
Romo had never really been on great shape coming into the season but gas been able to overcome it
Now with back injuries he cannot afford that
If he really wants to play 2-3 more years he will need to dedicate himself to football/working out in the off season as well

I do agree that he looks soft sometimes...all while tearing up the league.
But this past offseason they said he worked out nearly every single day with a very regimented schedule and trainer.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I was most pleased by Butler's ability to catch contested passes. He made a few grabs Williams would have had knocked away while trying to let them get to his body.

I had hopes that Williams would improve this season, but I haven't seen it. I know some of that is him not having Romo throwing him passes, but he also hasn't taken advantage of the passes that have gone his way.

I think Dallas needs to look to improve his spot. If that simply means that Butler is given a legitimate shot at beating him out in the preseason, so be it. But I would prefer we just add a legitimate threat opposite Bryant in the offseason.

I want to see how TWill responds in training camp next year to some competition. Butler should provide that. I'd also like to see an upgrade over Street. I haven't seen anything special from him.