Bob Sacamano;3272600 said:
ok...

Nate Allen and Mike Jenkins won't be joined at the hip on the football field

well hell lets throw in that CB also

Jerome Murphy, South Florida
Height: 6-0. Weight: 191.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.

1/9/10: A massive corner, Jerome Murphy qualified for the All-Big East Second Team with 77 tackles and eight passes broken up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3272615 said:
Ryan Leaf was right behind Peyton Manning on every Draft site.

you could find that for successful players too

NFLDraftCountdown 2008 RB rankings:

3. Rashard Mendenhall
4. Felix Jones

that was the consensus for most other draft sites too

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3272555 said:
I'm not just talking about the INTs though Bob. As a sophomore he went from being a 1st or 2nd team All American by almost every publication out there, to what as a Junior?

That concerns me a lot.

you don't think the 7 INTs played a factor in his All American status?

GTech's sacks were also down in '09 (25) from '08 (34) so the secondary had to cover more ground

having to go back to the early 90's to provide a cautionary tale is approaching old wive's tale status

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272611 said:
Jenkins plays confidently enough on the field as it is, I don't know how much more Nate Allen's presence is going to affect that

and we don't give him much over-the-top help from our safeties anyways

reverse it. it would be allen getting confidence from jenkins. but yes i think if allen had to come in for an injured player i think jenk would have confidence in the guy back there which he may not have other wise

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3272627 said:
reverse it. it would be allen getting confidence from jenkins. but yes i think if allen had to come in for an injured player i think jenk would have confidence in the guy back there which he may not have other wise

No, the CB has to be more comfortable in the deep help, not viceversa.

It affects how much cushion they give the WR or not, and how many chances they take on the ball.

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272629 said:
No, the CB has to be more comfortable in the deep help, not viceversa.

It affects how much cushion they give the WR or not.

i know this. it works the other way too if the safety has confidence that the CB can handle his WR he can drift to another WR or creep up in run support.

but a first year safety is going to make mistakes, in both reading the offense and knowing the right coverage. Jenkins having already played with him might be able to know a little of what Allen is thinking back there and adjust for it or making sure(in game even) that he knows what he is supposed to be doing

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3272640 said:
i know this. it works the other way too if the safety has confidence that the CB can handle his WR he can drift to another WR or creep up in run support.

but a first year safety is going to make mistakes, in both reading the offense and knowing the right coverage. Jenkins having already played with him might be able to know a little of what Allen is thinking back there and adjust for it or making sure(in game even) that he knows what he is supposed to be doing

I don't know how Jenkins knowing what to do is going to help Nate Allen, or any safety once the ball is snapped, and the QB drops back to pass

if the safety has to watch and cue off Mike Jenkins, then he's already ****ed

and on the other hand, Jenkins already knows the D, a rookie Nate Allen isn't going to help him much

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272644 said:
I don't know how Jenkins knowing what to do is going to help Nate Allen, or any safety once the ball is snapped, and the QB drops back to pass

if the safety has to watch and cue off Mike Jenkins, then he's already ****ed

and on the other hand, Jenkins already knows the D, a rookie Nate Allen isn't going to help him much

lets change in game to pre snap, savvy?

if you dont know what im trying to communicate then there is no point in going further, if you are just trying to say that them playing together previously has no advantages then we are going to have to just agree to disagree

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3272654 said:
lets change in game to pre snap, savvy?

if you dont know what im trying to communicate then there is no point in going further, if you are just trying to say that them playing together previously has no advantages then we are going to have to just agree to disagree

fine

but I will say this, any advantage working together went out the window once Mike Jenkins graduated and became a Dallas Cowboy, and will blow even farther once Nate Allen does too

this is a different defense

CBs don't help safeties, it's the other way around

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272655 said:
fine

but I will say this, any advantage working together went out the window once Mike Jenkins graduated and became a Dallas Cowboy, and will blow even farther once Nate Allen does too

this is a different defense

CBs don't help safeties, it's the other way around

not physically no

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272626 said:
you don't think the 7 INTs played a factor in his All American status?

GTech's sacks were also down in '09 (25) from '08 (34) so the secondary had to cover more ground

having to go back to the early 90's to provide a cautionary tale is approaching old wive's tale status
No, I really think it had more to do with his tackles, tackles for losses, and Passes defensed. He dropped in every statistical category in 2009 I believe.

I can go to more recent years for the same cautionary tales. I simply chose to use the same school and position because I felt it provided more insight. I never lack for examples in History Bob. Ever.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3272684 said:
No, I really think it had more to do with his tackles, tackles for losses, and Passes defensed. He dropped in every statistical category in 2009 I believe.

So did the whole Georgia Tech D.

Hostile said:
I can go to more recent years for the same cautionary tales. I simply chose to use the same school and position because I felt it provided more insight. I never lack for examples in History Bob. Ever.

How? What insight have you given me? Any personal, academic, or mental problems that we could draw comparisons to? I haven't seen any, just some guy who happened to play at the same school and same position nearly 20 years ago.

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272680 said:
not competitively

but Emmitt Smith has, does that make him a great football announcer?

not saying anything about whether your good or not, what im saying is if you play football on a team you know what your teammates are thinking(to an extent) you know their tendencies, and what not. if the offense is trying to fool you and you know that your teammate might be fooled you would communicate to him what you think he needs to do. this is true for all units OL,DL, secondary and so on.

trust me if you already know a player coming in(especially if they are comparble talent wise to another choice) it is an advantage. it just isnt tangible

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3272690 said:
How? What insight have you given me? Any personal, academic, or mental problems that we could draw comparisons to? I haven't seen any, just some guy who happened to play at the same school and same position nearly 20 years ago.
Then by all means, next time I reply along with others don't skip everyone else's response to seek clarification from me. That way I won't waste my time or yours by sharing something. I hate wasting your time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3272700 said:
Then by all means, next time I reply along with others don't skip everyone else's response to seek clarification from me. That way I won't waste my time or yours by sharing something. I hate wasting your time.

dude, don't get melodramatic

I've engaged rkell in a conversation for most of this thread.

If there's more to your story, then I would be glad to hear it.

I don't believe in shying away from receivers who played for Steve Spurrier. I tend to look deeper than school association. That's just me, and which is why I'm having a hard time taking your Swilling story at face value.

RS12

Reaction score
I like pick number two better than pick number one Bob.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3272699 said:
not saying anything about whether your good or not, what im saying is if you play football on a team you know what your teammates are thinking(to an extent) you know their tendencies, and what not. if the offense is trying to fool you and you know that your teammate might be fooled you would communicate to him what you think he needs to do. this is true for all units OL,DL, secondary and so on.

trust me if you already know a player coming in(especially if they are comparble talent wise to another choice) it is an advantage. it just isnt tangible

ok, for argument's sake, it is an advantage

how much do you make of it?

I don't think the advantage is that great