My worthless thoughts after rewatching the game

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but people are very quick to dismiss adjustments made by a receiver just so that he has a chance at catching the ball. They see two hands on the ball and believe it should automatically be a catch.

If I see a receiver laying out and diving for a catch, only to have the ball glance off of his hands doesn’t necessarily mean that I will be blaming him. Another example is the throw to Randall Cobb in the end zone.

If Cooper continues to rightfully run his route at full speed, that ball is going directly into the DBs hands.

He missed Cobb, every QB misses throws. People are nitpicking him while making excuses for Cooper dropping another pass.

Quite frankly, if you nitpicked that throw as much as the accuracy to Cooper, he was scrambling out to his left and had to throw a little back across his body to hit Cobb. That is not an easy throw.

Creeper

Reaction score
On the Rodgers fumble pass was there a receiver around? Close?

Why can’t a QB just throw down the ball when he’s in danger of being sacked? That seems like it would always work.

Yes, the RB was just a few yards from where the ball hit the ground.

Pokes12

Reaction score
I like to record the Cowboys games so I can rewatch them the next day because the excitement on game day colors my impressions of the action. Plus I can rewind certain plays to get a better look at what actually just happened. I came away from this game thinking, man, the Cowboys are overrated. But my impressions changed after watching the game a second time.

First some stats. Who would have thought the Packers did not get 350 yards of offense on Sunday? But that's a fact. The Packers got a total of 335 net yards to the Cowboys 560+. Let that sink in for a minute.
The only statistic that matters is the number of points you put on the scoreboard. All the rest is meaningless. Zeke got most of his yards in this game and in the Saints game in the waning seconds of the first half when the Packers were playing prevent the pass. He has not helped at all except with the long pass play. He needs to help the O line and is not doing a good job at that. There was one play in particular when he went to block a DT and let the DE get directly to Dak for a quick sack.

Some might say the Cowboys racked up a lot of yards in garbage time. They did. But they racked up a lot of yards before the half too. Each of their first 5 drives got them into Packers territory. They were moving the ball pretty easily against the Packers defense the entire game. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot in the 2nd half - as much.
I am a big believer in momentum. If Coop catches the pass that resulted in an interception. We score and the feel of the game is 100% different than it was. Dak needs to throw better than that but the ball was definitely catchable and should have been caught.

The difference in this game was obvious. Turnovers and penalties. By the time the Cowboys had over 100 yards in penalties the Packers had 4 for 35 yards.
The turn overs were horrible as were the penalties many of which were pure nonsense as you point out later in your writing. I agree with everything you said, including the BS call for touching Dak's helmet.

Other thoughts:

The pass to Cooper on the first drive was worse than I originally thought. Cooper had to slow down and turn to his left to try to catch the ball. The ball was way behind him, not just off his left shoulder. If he catches it, he scores. He thinks he should have caught it and he probably should have.

I have not reviewed the play and pass and take your word for it that it was worse than we thought. But the bottom line is that Cooper is paid a lot of money to catch footballs. He got both hands on the ball in an akward but not impossilbe position. He should have caught the pill.

The score was 17-0 at the half. No need to give up on the running game. It was working. But so was the passing game. The Cowboys were getting big chunks fo yards in the air, even when Dak was having problems with accuracy.

I hate using the refs as an excuse but they totally screwed the Cowboys in this game. One reason the Packers scored 31 point on 335 yards is the 124 yards in penalties on Dallas. There was a killer holding call on Austin with the score 14-0 that negated a Zeke run to the Packers 18. It was a terrible call. That gave Dallas a 1st and 20. On second down and long Dak threw his second INT. The PI on Brown that JG challenged was also BS. I replayed it 20 times and there really was not that much contact and the ball hit Brown in the back. There is no way that ball was catchable. I could read Garrett's lips after that call. He used the word "horse ****" I believe, multiple times. The flag for unsportsmanlike was also BS. But they saved the worst for last. The no call on the mugging of Gallup was just ridiculous. In fact, one thing is noticeable about the Packers DBs. They are very aggressive and physical. This is why the call on Brown was so bad. There was a big 2rd down pass that got a call on Heath too. The refs also missed about 3 illegal procedure calls where the Packer's RT left early. I saw one call that looked picky against the Packers. The slap in the head on Dak. That was iffy at best.

NFL officiating has been awful for years and this year it seems to have gotten even worse. I hate have Mike Pereira or Blandino as experts that opine as to whether there was or was not a penalty. Pereira said that the refs missed the holding or pass interference call on the db covering Cobb. That was crystal clear, as opposed to the one they called on Brown which was, in my opinion, ridiculous. There was no way he could have caught it and Brown did turn and play the ball.

The play that really irked me was the bogus call that Rodgers was throwing the ball on 3rd down on what was at best a bit of a push of the ball. But wait!!!!! If it was a pass then it should have been grounding. He did not get the ball to the line of scrimmage and there were no Packers who were eligible near the ball. But not one of the geniuses calling the game ever raised that fact. It should have been penalized with a loss of downs.

Dak was inaccurate with his passes in the 1st half. This seems like a pattern. He needs to fix that.

Dak needs to move about in order to throw the ball without thinking about mechanics. He is far better throwing on the run than standing in the pocket.

Dallas went nowhere on there first drive of the 2nd half and had to punt. Jones, of course, kicks one a paltry 33 yards. Is it me or does he do that at the worst times? In any case, the Packers got great field position and scored to make it 24-0.

Jones is great when it doesn't count, just like Maher, who in my opinion should never have been our kicker beginning this season. How much more do we need to see. He cannot make a 33 yarder or a 54 yarder. Hell Heath can make the extra points!!

On defense it was ugly at times. LVE looked overmatched a lot. The Cowboys lost containment to the outside constantly. The RB kept cutting outside and the Cowboys containment was trapped inside way too much. Not one person either. Brown, Chido, LVE, Tank, Lee all get caught over pursuing to the inside. Then the tackling was bad. They need to work on this.

This is JG. He does not believe he could ever be wrong about anything. His entire career has shown that he is incredibly stubborn in the face of overwhelming evidence that what he scripted is not working. Does that call for reflection and change? Of course it does, unless your name is Garrett, the Red Clapper and Spitter. He never adjusts, not just in games but in seasons. It is always the same thing even if it never works. Hubris on his part. While we are on the subject of the Red Clapper, what exactly is his role on the field. He never speaks to anyone on his head set. He does not look at, nor does he call plays. He is terrific at spitting and clapping at the wrong time. The one time he did move and do something he caused a 15 yard penalty. I am so over JG as an NFL coach. He wasn't even a good OC.

I also confirmed my suspicions that the DL was not doing its job. The Packers were able to get at least one lineman upfield to take out the LBs. This looks like what the Colts and Rams did last year. The Cowboys appear soft or physically weak in the middle. But the LBs need to be quicker to the holes too.

The linebacker play by the big three has been less than stellar. I do not know why they are playing so differently than last year but while we are talking defense. Are we going to go the entire year without an interception? The one we got was a cheapy that was hit up in the air before it was caught. Throughout the preseason we were getting turnovers left and right and everyone was talking about the "in your face" coverages being employed. Now they have reverted back to soft coverages keeping everything in front of them but never attacking the ball.

One last point about the officiating. I watched the replay of that Rodgers fumble/pass a dozen times or more. The more I watched it the more it looked like a fumble. Its really close, but it looks like Rodgers got hit by Lawrence and the ball started to slip from his hand. Rodgers then flicked his wrist forward to make it look like he was pushing it, but I think the ball was already loose. LVE recovered it at the Packers 30. Don't know if it would have made a difference but just another bad break for Dallas.

See above. It was either a fumble of grounding, the refs blew it again.

In summary, the Cowboys lost because of a lack of discipline and some bad calls. The discipline is a coaching thing I think.

Discipline was exemplified by the Red Clapper yelling obscenities at the ref. Shame on him, he should know not to pull a Leon Lett and hurt the team but that is exactly what he did. He is starting to lose this team!!!

Creeper

Reaction score
Ok I have re watched 1st 3 qtrs, and I came to these conclusions.
1. the way GB played and their motivation was so high, I think they beat any team in nfl
except maybe KC and NE.
2. Rodgers is more comfortable playing here than the cowboys are !
3.Rodgers loves beating the cowboys !! I mean if he had to pick 1 game to win this year,
he would pick the cowboys.
4. whole GB team came in here with the attitude that they dont like the cowboys and they
are going to beat the crap out of them! It was like seeing some tough guys playing some
mild mannered nice guys.
5. GB had some nice innovative play designs to get guys open.
6. On defense their secondary seemed to be playing man and they had our guys covered
very tightly most of the game.
7. they executed their plays very good and sharply

Cowboys
1. they just showed up to play, no attitude, no real motivation except do their job fight and win.
Very generic JG motivation , lets stack a win guys.
2. GB was just another game no hate or extra motivation.
3. play designs were for most part not very innovative, and it seemed to me the packers
were knowing what we were going to do on most plays.
4. Dak was staring down where he was going to throw most of the time, so maybe
packers were just going where he was staring.
Dak was not leading the receivers enough.
5. Dallas did not execute very good, and were just getting outplayed man to man by packers.

So GB was just the better team on sunday, but the way they played only the 2 teams I mentioned could have beat them.
Also dallas did not run enough, and their run plays were getting big chunks of yards lol
both elliot and pollard ran good, dallas / kellen is just passing too much.

You hit on something that I have seen on replays before - The Colts and Rams games last year. New Orleans and Green Bay games this year. Execution. In all these games the execution of the opposing offenses was sharp. Everyone hit their blocking assignments in the running game. On the Cowboys side, its the opposite. It looks like guys are flailing around and getting people blocked almost by accident or getting in their way. They are not holding their blocks. Anyone who has the video of the Colts game from last year can see what I mean. This is what I was referring to as discipline. Knowing assignments and each individual getting his job done. On defense its recognition of what's about to happen and then beating your blocker or getting to the hole before the blocker can block you. Its recognizing the cut backs and containing the outside by not getting drawn inside too much.

The Packers were getting one or two linemen out to the second level to block the LBs because the linemen were not beating their one on one blocks to disrupt the play. If the DTs are beating those blocks then the Packers need double teams which allow the LBs to run to the hole unimpeded.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One last point about the officiating. I watched the replay of that Rodgers fumble/pass a dozen times or more. The more I watched it the more it looked like a fumble. Its really close, but it looks like Rodgers got hit by Lawrence and the ball started to slip from his hand. Rodgers then flicked his wrist forward to make it look like he was pushing it, but I think the ball was already loose. LVE recovered it at the Packers 30. Don't know if it would have made a difference but just another bad break for Dallas.

Although I agree with you that we had a lot more bad calls against us than the Packers did, I do not agree with you on this one. I think if you don't call that one an incomplete pass, you have to question a lot of passes that are throwaways. His arm was going forward and he clearly flicks it toward the running back when he knows he's going to be tackled.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yup, the pass was OK. Not great by any means, but not terrible either. Should have been caught.
#19 should be commended (upon viewing that overhead footage) just for his 180° immediate psychical reaction ,in his attempting to even trying to catch that pass(twisting around like that on the fly?, that probably would've thrown my back out for 6 months)

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
#19 should be commended (upon viewing that overhead footage) just for his 180° immediate psychical reaction ,in his attempting to even trying to catch that pass(twisting around like that on the fly?, that probably would've thrown my back out for 6 months)

Would've been a better play had Coop knocked it down instead of trying to catch it.

erod

Reaction score
I don't disagree but you know if there is a game where we are outgained by a ton, people will say we were lucky to win..
Not me.

You can return a punt and interception and be up 14 points without gaining a single yard.

It's quite common for the losing team to have better stats.

I wish there was a way they could tally stats for only the meaningful portion of games. Get rid of the garbage time stats, late half hail-mary interceptions, etc.

You can throw a dump off under pressure in the end zone and get creditted for a 99-yard TD pass. Same thing for a toss sweep where the receiver runs in front of you in motion. (Notice how Rodgers love that move because he gets credit for a pass instead of a hand off.)

Stats are silly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The ball Dak threw to Cooper which resulted in an interception was thrown behind him. It's more Dak's fault than it is Amari's. It is EXTREMELY difficult to be headed full speed in one direction then stop and adjust your body to catch a ball behind you. Shannon Sharpe, who has caught balls from none other than John Elway, said as much. We can bash Cooper all day long, but he did what he was supposed to do, which is run his route. There was a narrow window in which Dak has to make that throw. Accurate throw, touchdown Dallas. But Dak throws behind him.

Second, let's stop all this nonsense about the Packers not being better than the Cowboys. Yes … they … were. We shot ourselves in the foot because we were playing the Packers, not the Giants or the Commanders or the Dolphins. Their scheme, their aura, the aggressiveness in which they were playing ALL played a part in our sloppy play. And they beat us in our house. Yes … they … are … better … PERIOD!
Now that can change, but as of now, there's no question.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but the same things that have happened with this team consistently within the past are rearing their ugly heads again. There's something missing about this team, an edge, a folding of the guards when we get hit in the mouth. I don't have confidence in the coaching staff and whenever we get down in games such as these, I don't feel that "we're coming back to win this game" I used to have when the Cowboys of the 90s played. And that's in part because of coaching. I'm just not inspired by Jason Garrett anymore. And outside of Kellen Moore, it seems all our coordinators are retreads who have hung around the league for so long their innovative approaches are now archaic strategies. We need fresh blood. We need a cutting-edge coach.

I don't know. But we need some changes soon, or we're going to lose out on this talent window.

erod

Reaction score
So stats are not meaningless after all. I guess you lost that drum. :rolleyes:

Even the stats I pay attention to are often meaningless. If you don't get to third down but once in a game and fail to convert it, you're 0% on third down. But you may have scored 60 points. See?

The stats I give half a look aren't used by the masses to define players. They only like yardage and time of possession and other circumstantial empty numbers.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like to record the Cowboys games so I can rewatch them the next day because the excitement on game day colors my impressions of the action. Plus I can rewind certain plays to get a better look at what actually just happened. I came away from this game thinking, man, the Cowboys are overrated. But my impressions changed after watching the game a second time.

First some stats. Who would have thought the Packers did not get 350 yards of offense on Sunday? But that's a fact. The Packers got a total of 335 net yards to the Cowboys 560+. Let that sink in for a minute.

Some might say the Cowboys racked up a lot of yards in garbage time. They did. But they racked up a lot of yards before the half too. Each of their first 5 drives got them into Packers territory. They were moving the ball pretty easily against the Packers defense the entire game. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot in the 2nd half - as much.

The difference in this game was obvious. Turnovers and penalties. By the time the Cowboys had over 100 yards in penalties the Packers had 4 for 35 yards.

Other thoughts:

The pass to Cooper on the first drive was worse than I originally thought. Cooper had to slow down and turn to his left to try to catch the ball. The ball was way behind him, not just off his left shoulder. If he catches it, he scores. He thinks he should have caught it and he probably should have.

The score was 17-0 at the half. No need to give up on the running game. It was working. But so was the passing game. The Cowboys were getting big chunks fo yards in the air, even when Dak was having problems with accuracy.

I hate using the refs as an excuse but they totally screwed the Cowboys in this game. One reason the Packers scored 31 point on 335 yards is the 124 yards in penalties on Dallas. There was a killer holding call on Austin with the score 14-0 that negated a Zeke run to the Packers 18. It was a terrible call. That gave Dallas a 1st and 20. On second down and long Dak threw his second INT. The PI on Brown that JG challenged was also BS. I replayed it 20 times and there really was not that much contact and the ball hit Brown in the back. There is no way that ball was catchable. I could read Garrett's lips after that call. He used the word "horse ****" I believe, multiple times. The flag for unsportsmanlike was also BS. But they saved the worst for last. The no call on the mugging of Gallup was just ridiculous. In fact, one thing is noticeable about the Packers DBs. They are very aggressive and physical. This is why the call on Brown was so bad. There was a big 2rd down pass that got a call on Heath too. The refs also missed about 3 illegal procedure calls where the Packer's RT left early. I saw one call that looked picky against the Packers. The slap in the head on Dak. That was iffy at best.

Dak was inaccurate with his passes in the 1st half. This seems like a pattern. He needs to fix that.

Dallas went nowhere on there first drive of the 2nd half and had to punt. Jones, of course, kicks one a paltry 33 yards. Is it me or does he do that at the worst times? In any case, the Packers got great field position and scored to make it 24-0.

On defense it was ugly at times. LVE looked overmatched a lot. The Cowboys lost containment to the outside constantly. The RB kept cutting outside and the Cowboys containment was trapped inside way too much. Not one person either. Brown, Chido, LVE, Tank, Lee all get caught over pursuing to the inside. Then the tackling was bad. They need to work on this.

I also confirmed my suspicions that the DL was not doing its job. The Packers were able to get at least one lineman upfield to take out the LBs. This looks like what the Colts and Rams did last year. The Cowboys appear soft or physically weak in the middle. But the LBs need to be quicker to the holes too.

In summary, the Cowboys lost because of a lack of discipline and some bad calls. The discipline is a coaching thing I think.
Nice work here. Definitely some bad calls went against us but the NFL has a real problem with the guys in stripes quickly becoming the centerpiece of every game. The pack had a bad call go against them too although not as many. That “roughing the passer” call on Dak’s run in the first half was a joke. The holding call on Tavon Austin was ridiculous. I’m not sure Austin is capable of holding anyone, lol.

Anyway good observations!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
124 - 35 Yards in penalties.......told you all so.

GB gets away with murder........Dallas has to play 16 people every down.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Not me.

You can return a punt and interception and be up 14 points without gaining a single yard.

It's quite common for the losing team to have better stats.

I wish there was a way they could tally stats for only the meaningful portion of games. Get rid of the garbage time stats, late half hail-mary interceptions, etc.

You can throw a dump off under pressure in the end zone and get creditted for a 99-yard TD pass. Same thing for a toss sweep where the receiver runs in front of you in motion. (Notice how Rodgers love that move because he gets credit for a pass instead of a hand off.)

Stats are silly.

that is true, and like when he basically dropped the ball but pushed his hand forward so it was a pass

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
124 - 35 Yards in penalties.......told you all so.

GB gets away with murder........Dallas has to play 16 people every down.

They had two penalties on the first two plays and I don't think they had another one the rest of the half, yet a hater I know had to text me later to say that the weak call on Dak at the end was the league's way of getting us back in the game

visionary

Reaction score
I don't care how much Cooper had to slow down for the ball, WRs adjust to balls every game.

The bottom line is when you want to be a top 10 WR, you make those catches. Amari leads the NFL in drops, yet people blame Dak for a catchable ball.

We have been saying for years that they lost because of themselves and their mistakes, when does that end? Probably right after Jerry hires a quality coach.

that’s easy he’s not a top 10 receiver he just wants to be paid that way

kskboys

Reaction score
I forget who the player was last year, but I heard them being interviewed on Sirius NFL Channel. The question was "which was a more important stat for the defense...yards or points allowed". The player answered "yards" and explained if a team can't move the ball on you, they won't score. Prevent them from driving the field and you will prevent them from scoring.
It's the FF generation that doesn't understand anything but points.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ok I have re watched 1st 3 qtrs, and I came to these conclusions.
1. the way GB played and their motivation was so high, I think they beat any team in nfl
except maybe KC and NE.
2. Rodgers is more comfortable playing here than the cowboys are !
3.Rodgers loves beating the cowboys !! I mean if he had to pick 1 game to win this year,
he would pick the cowboys.
4. whole GB team came in here with the attitude that they dont like the cowboys and they
are going to beat the crap out of them! It was like seeing some tough guys playing some
mild mannered nice guys.
5. GB had some nice innovative play designs to get guys open.
6. On defense their secondary seemed to be playing man and they had our guys covered
very tightly most of the game.
7. they executed their plays very good and sharply

Cowboys
1. they just showed up to play, no attitude, no real motivation except do their job fight and win.
Very generic JG motivation , lets stack a win guys.
2. GB was just another game no hate or extra motivation.
3. play designs were for most part not very innovative, and it seemed to me the packers
were knowing what we were going to do on most plays.
4. Dak was staring down where he was going to throw most of the time, so maybe
packers were just going where he was staring.
Dak was not leading the receivers enough.
5. Dallas did not execute very good, and were just getting outplayed man to man by packers.

So GB was just the better team on sunday, but the way they played only the 2 teams I mentioned could have beat them.
Also dallas did not run enough, and their run plays were getting big chunks of yards lol
both elliot and pollard ran good, dallas / kellen is just passing too much.
Completely disagree. GB only appeared to play well because we were a comedy of errors and they controlled both LOS's. Had nothing to do w/ attitude or showing up to play.