Name one decision this FO has made that worked

ondaedg

Reaction score
Did the defense get worse, or would it have looked even worse without Bennett?

Bennett added consistency and Was definitely better with him. Kept Covington off the field a bit.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett added consistency and Was definitely better with him. Kept Covington off the field a bit.
Exactly. It's not as simple as saying because the overall defensive stats didn't improve, then he wasn't an improvement over what we had. That assumes he is the only variable that played into the team stat.

dfense

Reaction score
No. Trading for Cooper without first negotiating a contract was dumb. Now he is a free agent.

Good player when healthy, but I don't know if we'll ever be able to depend on him, or if he will return to his prior form.

Using a rare #4 overall pick on a RB is moronic. RB's not only have the shortest lives of any position, but good ones can be found later in the draft. Now a huge part of the salary cap is committed also. Just a tragic mistake, despite Zeke being a great player. Trade up, Trade down, or pick a different player.

Let's not forget about Taco, or Gregory, or......
So I'm getting that your glass is never half full.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
So I'm getting that your glass is never half full.
8-8.

Half full or half empty. Take your pick.

Bottom line is the GM has done a poor job managing personnel, and that, more than anything, is to blame for decades of mediocrity.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
BTW, let's take a look at the production from the last four First Round Picks in the critical Eagles game:

2019: Cooper (trade). 24 Yards
2018: LVE. Zero. Did not play.
2017: Taco Charlton. Zero. gone.
2016: Elliott. 47 Yards.

That's very little production from the past 4 first round picks when the team most needed it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Did the defense get worse, or would it have looked even worse without Bennett?
Those are not mutually exclusive. One, definitively did occur. That's a fact. The other would be conjecture and there is no way to know.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Exactly. It's not as simple as saying because the overall defensive stats didn't improve, then he wasn't an improvement over what we had. That assumes he is the only variable that played into the team stat.
Which is a straw man and not what I said or the point I was making.

Fact. The defense did get worse overall. Whether or not that was due to him isn't really important. The important thing is that the defense did not get better.
Fact. The team lost more games than before he got here. Whether or not that was due to him isn't really important. The important thing is that the team did not do better.
Fact. The team gave up resources to acquire him (small as they were.

So, exactly what positive did we get and/or what significant impact was brought about?

Verdict

Reaction score
Just give me one decision this team has made in the last 5 years, that was brilliant?

can you trust this clown show with the upcoming decisions

1. what to do with the Clapping Carrot
2. the Dak contract
3. the Cooper contract
4. the Byron Jones contract

The FO hasn’t always been right, but this thread is drama queen level stuff. We have drafted many pro bowlers. We drafted Dak in the first place. We cut Dez. The Cooper trade was a good one in retrospect. The Bennett trade was good value.

lots of good decisions.

johneric8

Reaction score
Moving on from an inured Romo was a great decision and a hard one at that.. I also think that hiring colombo at the time they did was a God send for our putrid Oline play.. Also, even though he hasn't shown it this year, Kris Richard changed our DB's big time for the better... Even this year with a down year, they were better than most and way better than our past efforts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those are not mutually exclusive. One, definitively did occur. That's a fact. The other would be conjecture and there is no way to know.

but was Bennett the only variable? That’s the flaw in your argument. A lot of variables go ino opponent scoring, and you are only looking at one and treating it as a stand alone variable.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Despite endless efforts searching, I can not find data for teams in the NFL that hit on UDFA available talent that made the playoffs.
So I cant support any effort on my part , but I know that SF has a substantial amount of their roster when compared to other teams that are in the playoffs, and even league wide,
that are UDFAs contributing.
Call me out if Im wrong, I welcome anyone that can provide some accurate data, Im just going off what Im looking at when looking at actual rosters,, there should be a data base some where that could support this statement Im making, but Im just flying free, so shoot me down please if anyone has any data source on this.
I will gladly take the hit, to be proven wrong, but Im saying with what I know, that SF has the best ratio of hit miss on udfas currently on the active roster.
So if I am correcet, you are probably asking yourself what is this fool talkin about,, its very relevant in the proper approach with extreme payout contracts in todays game.
You are just good not great, you get payed stupid money, back up that truck.
Just saying,, research this,, its crazy that there is no relevant source,, for teams in the playoffs with the most active UDFAs, why is this so hard to find?
I bet Walker provides a source first...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is a straw man and not what I said or the point I was making.

Fact. The defense did get worse overall. Whether or not that was due to him isn't really important. The important thing is that the defense did not get better.
Fact. The team lost more games than before he got here. Whether or not that was due to him isn't really important. The important thing is that the team did not do better.
Fact. The team gave up resources to acquire him (small as they were.

So, exactly what positive did we get and/or what significant impact was brought about?
Again, you are judging an individual by a team stat. Not a fair standard. And, again, there are a ton of variables that go into a team stat, so because a team stat didn’t improve doesn’t mean the individual didn’t improve the team.

By your standard we could bring in Aaron Donald to replace Chris Covington, but if team stats based on all 11 positions don’t improve then Donald can’t be considered an upgrade over Covington.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it was a big deal to the fans but the fact that Jerry wanted Manziel so bad makes it show how he works.
Yep, and considering how Booger views it, Manziel would have been a payoff for him just in jersey sales alone and the 3rd largest alum assn in the Metroplex is A&M. He was looking at the promotional possibilities and probably would have jacked ticket prices.

The most interesting part of that entire situation was that they spent the entire 15 minute interview on Manziel's off the field adventures. He sold Booger pretty well but Son wasn't buying and since he's closer to Manziel in age, probable understood it. Can you imagine Manziel loose in one of the best possible places to get into trouble? I don't think Son was worried about Manziel's exploits, I think he was concerned about his father joining him. The strippers would have thought it was hurricane with all of the raining money. His own parents didn't want him going to Dallas and they were enablers!

I gotta say, I was a little disappointed because I've got two sides to my fanhood. The one that loves football and winning and the one that loves controversy, chaos and crazy. I've been served up a lot more of the latter lately by Booger.

Loso86

Reaction score
Just give me one decision this team has made in the last 5 years, that was brilliant?

can you trust this clown show with the upcoming decisions

1. what to do with the Clapping Carrot
2. the Dak contract
3. the Cooper contract
4. the Byron Jones contract
Lol umm drafting Zeke the pro bowlers Oline Dak tank. Need more or what?

yimyammer

Reaction score
I've always thought the main thing missing from the NFL was great art.

and then I went to the new stadium and all seemed right in the NFL universe

Last edited:

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
they've made some, but every good decision i can think of that Jerry's made he's managed to cancel it out with bad decisions VERY soon after :)