NASA Perseverance Rover

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Seeing these pics is what makes Mars so intriguing; the terrain and environment are alien but look so familiar. It looks like you could land there and pop off your helmet.

catiii

Reaction score
LOL @ some people.
It's funny you tell Runwildboys that he "cleary have not researched well" yet it's obvious that you have not. One of the very missions of this rover is to collect rock/samples to send back to Earth. The mission is called MSR (Mars Sample Return) and has various missions planned spanning over the next 10 years to bring back samples to Earth. They landed at a specific location thought to have contained a massive lake at one point. A great spot to hopefully find evidence of any microbial life. A piece of another planet has never been brought back to Earth by humanity, so yeah, this is a pretty epic mission if you ask me.
One caveat that I think any biologist would agree with: That "microbial life" might be instantly deadly to Earthlings and would be totally foreign to our immune systems. We could see War of the Worlds in reverse with HUMANS being the ones to succumb if even one of these microbes were to escape. It could also actually kill our planet by destroying agriculture, infecting animals and sea life we depend on for food. It could be a catastrophe, one much worse than our current situation. I think the more intelligent and prudent way would've been to do testing on Mars, not bring unknown things back to Earth. That's just asking for it. I have no doubt there was, and may still be, life on Mars some of which could be planet destroyers. How do we know that's not what killed Martian plant life and destroyed its atmosphere? These are all rational and valid questions.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One caveat that I think any biologist would agree with: That "microbial life" might be instantly deadly to Earthlings and would be totally foreign to our immune systems. We could see War of the Worlds in reverse with HUMANS being the ones to succumb if even one of these microbes were to escape. It could also actually kill our planet by destroying agriculture, infecting animals and sea life we depend on for food. It could be a catastrophe, one much worse than our current situation. I think the more intelligent and prudent way would've been to do testing on Mars, not bring unknown things back to Earth. That's just asking for it. I have no doubt there was, and may still be, life on Mars some of which could be planet destroyers. How do we know that's not what killed Martian plant life and destroyed its atmosphere? These are all rational and valid questions.
They sanitize everything they send to Mars, as well as they possibly can, in order to avoid contaminating Mars with our microbes and such. Just imagine how fastidious they'll be when bringing samples back. I believe the reigning theory is that the atmosphere on Mars was destroyed mainly by the core cooling, causing the magnetosphere to weaken, which left the atmosphere unprotected from solar winds, etc.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
They sanitize everything they send to Mars, as well as they possibly can, in order to avoid contaminating Mars with our microbes and such. Just imagine how fastidious they'll be when bringing samples back. I believe the reigning theory is that the atmosphere on Mars was destroyed mainly by the core cooling, causing the magnetosphere to weaken, which left the atmosphere unprotected from solar winds, etc.

I absolutely get it, have thought about it, and I'm sure those in the science community (i.e. NASA) have thought extensively about it as well. As @Runwildboys suggested, I'm sure they will not be careless about their procedure.

Creeper

Reaction score

How do we know that any microbes on Mars would function like microbes on earth? Being unfamiliar with earth life how would Mars microbes have adapted to infect earth life forms? It is entirely possible that humans are incompatible to Martian parasites.

On the other hand, we know rocks from Mars have somehow managed to make the trip to earth, so perhaps we have already be exposed to Martian life forms.

catiii

Reaction score
How do we know that any microbes on Mars would function like microbes on earth? Being unfamiliar with earth life how would Mars microbes have adapted to infect earth life forms? It is entirely possible that humans are incompatible to Martian parasites.

On the other hand, we know rocks from Mars have somehow managed to make the trip to earth, so perhaps we have already be exposed to Martian life forms.
Possibly, but what we gonna do if a few babies of these guys sneak back to Earth. Dat ain't no rock. :eek:
facehugger.png

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Possibly, but what we gonna do if a few babies of these guys sneak back to Earth. Dat ain't no rock. :eek:
facehugger.png

While I'm sure that's just an illusion, as a person who HATES spiders, if that's real I'm going to be mucho furiouso if they bring alien spiders back to Earth. :laugh:

I'm going to start stocking ammo just in case. :D