Nate just said go after the pass rusher, not the guard.

Aven8

Reaction score
Just heard him discussing on his show Coop and Nate. He said if we get both Carr and Finngen and if we don't add anything to the Dline it won't matter.

He said that an average DB can hold there guy for around 2.5 seconds. If we have no pressure Deion himself couldn't hold that long.

JJT was sitting in for Coop and said you don't think we should get Finnegen, or Carr, and he said it won't matter if we don't get more pass rushers.

JJT then asked Nate what about going Decastro, and he said forget the guards. Get a stout Center. A Center that can call the defense and direct everything. That will enable Tony to step up.

I thought it was interesting that a guard, and somebody that has been harping on getting Olineman for yrs said all of this. I agree with him. My bet is hopefully the Cowboys do to.

Gaede

Reaction score
I agree with him as well. Center is our biggest weakness and repairing that will make a bigger difference than repairing G. Though G needs addressing as well, it can be fixed with less resources than some are dying to spend.

JBS

Reaction score
Everything I've been saying all along

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bang the drum Nate but unfortunately, it probably won't matter. The Cowboy Fan Base wants DeCastro. That may not be what the team is thinking but I doubt we will change the collective minds of the Fan Base. I think most are set on DeCastro or Bust mode.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This should have been be pretty evident after watching the Giants win a Superbowl with rather mediocre OL and CBs and a great pass rush.

Woods

Reaction score
Aven8;4434576 said:
Just heard him discussing on his show Coop and Nate. He said if we get both Carr and Finngen and if we don't add anything to the Dline it won't matter.

He said that an average DB can hold there guy for around 2.5 seconds. If we have no pressure Deion himself couldn't hold that long.

JJT was sitting in for Coop and said you don't think we should get Finnegen, or Carr, and he said it won't matter if we don't get more pass rushers.

JJT then asked Nate what about going Decastro, and he said forget the guards. Get a stout Center. A Center that can call the defense and direct everything. That will enable Tony to step up.

I thought it was interesting that a guard, and somebody that has been harping on getting Olineman for yrs said all of this. I agree with him. My bet is hopefully the Cowboys do to.

So which pass rusher do you prefer at 14?

I like Ingram, but I don't think he'll be there. Don't think Coples will be there at 14 either.

I'm torn on Poe, not sure whether he's worth the risk.

Seems like Perry may be better suited as a 43 DE. I'm not as keen on Upshaw at OLB. Maybe Marceilus (sp?)? He seems like a prospect with a lot of upside, though I don't know if 14 is too early. I guess it depends if you think he's another JPP type. Then clearly he is.

Honestly, as much as I'd prefer a pressure player, I'm more comfortable with DeCastro, Glenn (assuming Ingram and Coples are gone). And the same goes for CB, I think we can get a good one in Round 2. I doubt we take a WR/QB/RB in Round 1 either.

Was it Mayock who said that this draft is very good for DL but not so good for pass rushers?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
say Ingram is gone Decastro is there, who do you pick if not DeCastro. Who is that pass rusher. I don't see many true all pro pass rushers. day one true all pro pass rushers go top 10.

I mean I would trade the #14 pick for Suggs or Von Miller but I doubt that would happen.

JBS

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4434589 said:
Bang the drum Nate but unfortunately, it probably won't matter. The Cowboy Fan Base wants DeCastro. That may not be what the team is thinking but I doubt we will change the collective minds of the Fan Base. I think most are set on DeCastro or Bust mode.

Unbelievable how true this is

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Woods;4434592 said:
So which pass rusher do you prefer at 14?

I like Ingram, but I don't think he'll be there. Don't think Coples will be there at 14 either.

I'm torn on Poe, not sure whether he's worth the risk.

Seems like Perry may be better suited as a 43 DE. I'm not as keen on Upshaw at OLB. Maybe Marceilus (sp?)?

Was it Mayock who said that this draft is very good for DL but not so good for pass rushers?

This part is true. I don't see anyone to take at 14 that would help a whole lot.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4434589 said:

I know, it's like if someone were to draft DeCastro ahead of us, we'd just be screwed and could go ahead and book it that Tony was going to end up as a pool of protoplasm.

For all we know, we might sign a G in free agency and make Decastro unnecessary and all this will be for naught.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Dolphins draft Pouncey last year at 15
in 2010 Iupait went 17 and Maurkice POuncey went 18.

Is 14 that much of a reach for DeCastro

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4434589 said:

The only thing we've heard out of Valley Ranch was they misjudged the C position. So that admission along with Costa's struggles make it likely that C is addressed this offseason. The OG talk is more fans wishing it seems than anything else because of the players who may be available. Nicks/Grubbs and DeCastro are great players and certainly would help but i dont think the team is looking in that direction. JMO...

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4434601 said:
I know, it's like if someone were to draft DeCastro ahead of us, we'd just be screwed and could go ahead and book it that Tony was going to end up as a pool of protoplasm.

For all we know, we might sign a G in free agency and make Decastro unnecessary and all this will be for naught.

I'm not all for drafting DeCastro but if he is the top of the board you take him. DO you reach for another Spencer at 14 or you take the BPA. Its easy to say tkae the pass rusher. I rank Pass rushers over OG thats why I would take Ingram over DeCastro but what if Ingram is gone like most think.

Woods

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4434601 said:

I put this in another post, but I would not be surprised at all if we didn't draft an OG Day 1 or Day 2 or even with the top 4 picks.

We could just as easily end up bringing back Holland and let him, Kosier, Nagy and Arkin battle it out.

It's not what I would do, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

tm1119

Reaction score
I would be all for this except for the fact that theres no great pass rusher in this draft. Not even 1 that is a sure upgrade to Spencer. Im so pro DeCastro because I think he will be far and away the best pro of the players who be available at pick #14, if he is even there. People saying things like "I think DeCastro will be a pro bowler, but guard isnt a good value that high" is crazy to me. The interior of our o-line is just flat out bad. Im all for adding a center in FA, it very well may be the most important piece, but I also want a stud OG to ensure that our talented play makers actually get a chance to make a play. The defense can be fixed without the 14th pick. Theres always free agency and rounds 2 and 3 to get upgrades.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4434589 said:

I can honestly say I never go into a draft with only 1 option. DeCastro is just one of them. Frankly I don't get how anyone can go into a draft thinking 1 player or bust mind set.

Only issue I have had with some are those saying you shouldn’t take DeCastro.

reddyuta

Reaction score
everything Nate said is the truth.the biggest problem on the offense was that weakling Costa who still hasnt mastered the simple art of snapping the ball correctly!!(he is also the worst center in the league).Our DEs and Spencer are also not doing their job(except Hatcher).they also cannot collapse pocket ,QBs are not scared of our pass rush at all and it makes me sick to watch Eli just stepping up in the pocket and calmly making the pass.our season is a non starter if we dont get a new center,that is our most important FA acquisition.

Woods

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4434599 said:
This part is true. I don't see anyone to take at 14 that would help a whole lot.

The one guy who is interesting to me at OLB outside of Ingram and Coples (at DE) is Mercilus. I just don't know how he'd transition. I think maybe SDogo or someone who has really scouted him would have a better idea.

I'm not as keen on Upshaw or Perry.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4434594 said:
say Ingram is gone Decastro is there, who do you pick if not DeCastro. Who is that pass rusher. I don't see many true all pro pass rushers. day one true all pro pass rushers go top 10.

I mean I would trade the #14 pick for Suggs or Von Miller but I doubt that would happen.

Except Ware went 11, Merriman went 12, Orakpo went 13, JPP went 15, Tamba Hali went 20, Terrell Suggs did go 10.

Other than those guys I guess you are right....

jjktkk

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4434603 said:
Dolphins draft Pouncey last year at 15
in 2010 Iupait went 17 and Maurkice POuncey went 18.

Is 14 that much of a reach for DeCastro

Its not a reach for Decastro at 14, but if you have the chance to land a elite pass rusher, or an elite DT like Dallas has a chance to , you really need to consider taking the elite defender.