Nate just said go after the pass rusher, not the guard.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4434651 said:
Same here. I could see something like signing Wells in FA, drafting the best guard in the second (traditionally you can get very good guards in the top half of the second), and starting Holland, Wells, and whoever wins between Arkin, Nagy, and the rookie.

That would be two very good OTs -- one of them with All-Pro talent -- one very good C from FA, one solid vet guard and one young 2nd-4th round guard. With good coaching, that should be plenty of resources to have a very good OL.

One thing I think people are underestimating in all this is how bad a job Houck did. I suspect Callahan will do a much better job coaching up what he has, like most teams do.

Agree. Imo this way of addressing the Oline is easier than trying to improve the defensive front 7(Dline, pass rush), thru free agency.

Woods

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4434659 said:
Jared Allen was a 4th rd pick. If dallas gets Whitney I hope he is the pass rusher we would love to have but he could just as easy be a JAG like some other pass rushers fans has gushed over. NFL draft is pretty much a crap shoot and yes even DeCastro but when you see how these guys grade out instead of focusing in on a position then it is not hard to see how highly thought of DeCastro is. What you guys are doing is focused on a position as if the position make the players it doesn't the player makes the position. We have had our share of duds that were billed at pass rusher.

E Ekuban comes to mind. :p:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4434649 said:
Also Mercilus one year wonder in college scares me. I don't see him being a dominate pass rusher in the 3-4. I have watche dhim play. He looks like a true 3-4.
Taking him at 14 is a big reach to pass on a for sure player for a maybe player.

So you're punishing him for playing so well as a junior that he's leaving school early?

People go on and on about how this 4-3 guy can't play in a 3-4 and vice versa and they're generally proven to be wrong. Great pass rusher are great pass rushers in any system. Tamba Hali ran a 4.87 in his pro day. He played in a 4-3 all his life dating back to college. He's done nothing but blossom ever since he's been moved to a 3-4.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
jjktkk;4434650 said:
I asked Hoofbite this question, so I'll ask you, why can't the Cowboys address the interior Oline thru free agency?

They can and then can also address a pass rusher via FA. At the same time, we need 2 OG's. Spencer will be resigned, there is not a OLB in FA or the draft that is a immediate upgrade to him. Now you turn to DE, we can use an upgrade there but is that position going to produce the pass rusher your looking for? Not likely and certainly not in the draft or at the very least not at 14.

People keep saying this is a OG deep draft and we can get one later, at the same time some of the best pass rushing prospects are valued in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. You either reach for them at 14, trade down and still reach or you take the best prospect at his position, the best value and the player that offers the most upgrade on your team at that time in David DeCastro.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Woods;4434666 said:
E Ekuban comes to mind. :p:

Yep Marcilus and Ekuban are exactly alike. Other than the fact that Ekuban was never really productive in college and Mercilus is coming off of a 16 sack, 9 FF and 22.5 TFL season. Other than that, exactly alike.

Hey, you know who DeCastro reminds me of? Chris Neole. Nothing specific, but you got to admit .. they are both highly drafted guards.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
SDogo;4434669 said:
They can and then can also address a pass rusher via FA. At the same time, we need 2 OG's. Spencer will be resigned, there is not a OLB in FA or the draft that is a immediate upgrade to him. Now you turn to DE, we can use an upgrade there but is that position going to produce the pass rusher your looking for? Not likely and certainly not in the draft or at the very least not at 14.

People keep saying this is a OG deep draft and we can get one later, at the same time some of the best pass rushing prospects are valued in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. You either reach for them at 14, trade down and still reach or you take the best prospect at his position, the best value and the player that offers the most upgrade on your team at that time in David DeCastro.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SDogo;4434669 said:
They can and then can also address a pass rusher via FA.

Which pass rushers do you like in free agency? They're generally in high demand.

Woods

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4434672 said:
Yep Marcilus and Ekuban are exactly alike. Other than the fact that Ekuban was never really productive in college and Mercilus is coming off of a 16 sack, 9 FF and 22.5 TFL season. Other than that, exactly alike.

Hey, you know who DeCastro reminds me of? Chris Neole?

That smilie thing next to the comment was meant to be a joke. ;)

Look, end of the day it's personal preference.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SDogo;4434642 said:
Who is that pass rusher Nate? Do you reach for a pass rusher that may or may not be better then what we have or do you go for the value and immediate starter which is better then what he have in David DeCastro?

I swear people are loosing their minds over this draft just because it involves a OG. *** people, you upgrade the weakest unit on your team with the best player at the position. End of story.

OG is NOT the weakest unit on this team. Nagy, Arkin and Dockery or Holland is a soft group but not a terrible one. (that's what 60 combined NFL starts??)
OC is far worse. Costa/Kowalski
So is CB once we cut TNew which is inevitable.(Jenkins/Scandrick/Thomas)
And OLB becomes worse if we aren't held hostage to pay Spencer 9 million.(Ware/Butler/Albright)

It is shocking how simple-minded people can be. If we can upgrade at other positions without using pick 14 we can certainly upgrade OG without doing so. There are a bevy of interior OL about to hit free agency. And plenty more guys in the draft than 1 with a good grade.

Who gives a crap what talent we have right now? It is about what is the best possible team you can field for game 1.

Sandyf

Reaction score
We have to do a good job in free agency first and hopefully Jerry, Stephen and Jason will get it done. In the draft we should be taking the BPA, if not then you end up reaching for a guy and that rarely turns out well especially for the Cowboys.

My HOPE:
Free Agents"
Brandon Carr CB
Tyvon Branch SS
Kraig Urbik OC (will cost a 4th since he is a RFA)
Anthony Spencer OLB
Laurent Robinson WR
Mat McBriar P
Tony Fiammetta

Draft:
#14 Dontario Poe NT
#45 Trumaine Johnson CB
#82 Kevin Zeitler OG
4th Jake Bequette OLB (comp pick)
5th Josh Robinson CB
6th Donte Paige-Moss OLB (only reason is he will be an IR but potential huge)
7th George Bryan TE

SDogo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4434676 said:
Which pass rushers do you like in free agency? They're generally in high demand.

There are not many, just like it seems the options at OG will be limited. I already stated there are no options better then Spencer unless you count Mario Williams and project him at OLB.

Mark Anderson OLB from NE is a name no one is talking about but the guy put up 10 sacks last year.

Corry Redding DE from Balt is solid and can put up 10 sacks a year but is aging.

Those are probably the top two outside of Williams. Like I said, limited but so is the OG class if Grubbs or Nick or both are taken off the market.

Woods

Reaction score
SDogo;4434687 said:
There are not many, just like it seems the options at OG will be limited. I already stated there are no options better then Spencer unless you count Mario Williams and project him at OLB.

Mark Anderson OLB from NE is a name no one is talking about but the guy put up 10 sacks last year.

Corry Redding DE from Balt is solid and can put up 10 sacks a year but is aging.

Those are probably the top two outside of Williams. Like I said, limited but so is the OG class if Grubbs or Nick or both are taken off the market.

Out of curiousity, why do you think he's flying under the radar? He seems like a good and improving player to me.

reddyuta

Reaction score
An OLB who cant manage more than 6 sacks even in his contract year with Ware playing the other side is not the answer.I believe there are pass rushers in this draft who can do better)plus we dont have to pay him 50 million.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4434659 said:
Jared Allen was a 4th rd pick.

Right, he fell to the 4th round after a 17.5 sacks season. And Elvis Dumvervil fell to the 4th round after a 20 sacks season. Which shows how dumb scouts are when they ignore college production from a pass rusher.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jterrell;4434680 said:
OG is NOT the weakest unit on this team. Nagy, Arkin and Dockery or Holland is a soft group but not a terrible one. (that's what 60 combined NFL starts??)
OC is far worse. Costa/Kowalski
And OLB becomes worse if we aren't held hostage to pay Spencer 9 million.(Ware/Butler/Albright)

It is shocking how simple-minded people can be. If we can upgrade at other positions without using pick 14 we can certainly upgrade OG without doing so. There are a bevy of interior OL about to hit free agency. And plenty more guys in the draft than 1 with a good grade.

Who gives a crap what talent we have right now? It is about what is the best possible team you can field for game 1.

No it is not. The draft is not about game 1 of next year the draft is what you build with, it is long term. If you want to get a quick fix go to FA you have a better ideal of what you are getting.

SDogo

Reaction score
jterrell;4434680 said:

OC is far worse. Costa/Kowalski[/QUOTE]

Arguable at best. Arkin can play center and there is a reason Dockey and Holland have been on and off this roster

jterrell;4434680 said:

CB is a mess but it will be fixed via FA, not worth discussing.

jterrell;4434680 said:

Simple minded? The best player at a position of need is sitting there. Your argument applies to the pass rusher as well. Calling the kettle black a bit here are we not?

jterrell;4434680 said:

ahh correct, thus this thread and the reason we are all here. Discussing addition to make the team better day 1................................and?

SDogo

Reaction score
Woods;4434689 said:
Out of curiousity, why do you think he's flying under the radar? He seems like a good and improving player to me.

He's 28, not sure how much more he is going to improve but more then that when have you seen his name pop up in any thread about FA? All the talk has been about Mario Williams as if he is the only option.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4434691 said:
And Elvis Dumverill was a 2nd rounder. Which shows how dumb scouts are when they ignore college production from a pass rusher.

I don't think they are dumb, we see players at different position including DL who put up great college numbers and do not do much in the Pros. I think scouts do the best they can with all the information they can get but in the end you don't know

Eric Norwood was considered one of the top pass rusher in 09 with 22 sacks

In 2 years and 28 games in the NFL he has 1 sack.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4434669 said:

I can see what your saying, but you also have to see its much harder to get that pass rusher in free agency. They are much more expensive, and teams usually lock them up quick.

The same can't be said for G, most of the greats have hit free agency at one time or another. DeCastro should be there and should be an option, but we also can't give up on trying to get that help that Ware needs from the top 15 depending on if someone falls.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4434644 said:
Look at the guys who have had 15+ sack seasons in Div I NCAA. T Suggs, E Dumverill, Dwight Freeney, Jason Babin, Jard Allen. History has shown if you have a skillset or set of traits that allows you to get 15+ sacks in college, it's going to transfer to the NFL at some point whether the scouts love you or not. Whitney Marcilus is going to be a good pass rusher in the NFL, and a lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves as to why they convinced themselves otherwise through paralysis by analysis.

People want this Julius Peppers or Von Miller super-super-super blue chipperfreak of nature pass rusher to be there at #14 ... that kind of pass rusher doesn't fall to #14.

Hmmm, how about Michael Haynes, Ameer Ismail, guys like Bruce Davis who was putting up back-to-back 12 sack seasons, Greg Middleton, Vernon Gholston, George Selvie, et cetera?

Registering 15 sacks (or whatever the magical number) doesn't automatcially equate to NFL success. In fact, the falsity of the notion can be illustrated by the fact Jason Pierre-Paul had only 6.5 sacks in his one year at USF.