Nate Newton: Jimmy Johnson would challenge players

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
If you have the opportunity, turn on Michael Irvin's show, he is telling some good story of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

He tells one story about Alexander Wright and another story about a running back as example of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

This isn't a let's hire Jimmy post, just some good stories from the past.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2362981 said:
If you have the opportunity, turn on Michael Irvin's show, he is telling some good story of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

He tells one story about Alexander Wright and another story about a running back as example of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

This isn't a let's hire Jimmy post, just some good stories from the past.

Better yet:

Coach Landry could just walk into the room......player listened, worked hard, and tried their best for him out of pure RESPECT!

FCBarca

Reaction score
Different era and different coaching styles...Let's face it, if Wade was a coaching genius he would've had better success and a tougher rep by now...Even Charger fans I know said the feeling on his departure was subdued as no one really felt stung by losing him or Stewart.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
FCBarca;2362998 said:
Different era and different coaching styles...Let's face it, if Wade was a coaching genius he would've had better success and a tougher rep by now...Even Charger fans I know said the feeling on his departure was subdued as no one really felt stung by losing him or Stewart.

Yeah, the Chargers' D has been better off without him. :rolleyes:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I about died laughing when Nate said, "Im with Pacman, sitting next to a stripper pole, drinkin a cold beer while Pacman makes it rain. Am I living the high life?"

:lmao:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Jimmy had the authority to challenge players.

Who has that now?

our defensive coordinator looked like someone stole his bike on the sideline sunday and he lost part of his responsibilities.

long story short, only one man can challenge the players here and He doesnt have the right to do it and it is a joke when he does anything remotely similar to that.

Parcells challenged players here for awhile, but He couldnt get through and when he did the entire media whined and the fanbase cried like infants.

remember when parcells was hard on jones in the preseason? Remember when he was hard on peterman etc. etc. etc....

guys were forced to be tough with parcells and he couldnt even get through to them, so we can all forget anyone here now getting through.

silver

Reaction score
how can you challenge anybody when you're the authority and you're out there carrousing along with the players.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
can you give us a recap on the stories, would love to hear them

Q_the_man

Reaction score
players didn't have signing bonuses either... JJ could have cut you, if you sneeze out loud during a meeting, not no more. If TO got out of line with Jimmy he could not just cut him because of salary cap restrictions.... So B4 the salary cap coaches had total control of players, after the SC players have total control.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2363104 said:
can you give us a recap on the stories, would love to hear them

Without having listened I can give you the short version.

there once was a man hired to coach and help build a football team.

He then did so.

then many accolades were being given to him and the team he built.

He had control and was respected and the players would run through walls for him.

Then the spotlight got bigger and the attention was on the team and said coach all the time for being a supposed genius for building one of the finest football teams ever.

This is where A certain guy stepped in and made sure to take as much credit as he could for building the roster and trying to get some of those rays of sunshine on himself. He then overstepped his bounds and the man who built the franchise and earned the players respect said bye bye.

Enter today. That certain guy has done it again. And will continue to in the future.

THe moral of the story, coaches dont have the authority and can not earn the required respect of the coaches. So challenging them is a waste of everyones time. If this team is to ever win, it has to come from some self pride of the players and they must win in spite of GM Jerry sunshine.

links18

Reaction score
Q_the_man;2363118 said:
players didn't have signing bonuses either... JJ could have cut you, if you sneeze out loud during a meeting, not no more. If TO got out of line with Jimmy he could not just cut him because of salary cap restrictions.... So B4 the salary cap coaches had total control of players, after the SC players have total control.

Nobody would cut TO or Emmitt, Troy or Irvin for that matter. regardless of salary cap implications. Jimmy has famously said he treated players differently based on their importance to the team.......

zeromaster

Reaction score
theebs;2363072 said:
Jimmy had the authority to challenge players.

Who has that now?

our defensive coordinator looked like someone stole his bike on the sideline sunday and he lost part of his responsibilities.

long story short, only one man can challenge the players here and He doesnt have the right to do it and it is a joke when he does anything remotely similar to that.

Parcells challenged players here for awhile, but He couldnt get through and when he did the entire media whined and the fanbase cried like infants.

remember when parcells was hard on jones in the preseason? Remember when he was hard on peterman etc. etc. etc....

guys were forced to be tough with parcells and he couldnt even get through to them, so we can all forget anyone here now getting through.
So, theebs, are you giving up on the season because probably no one can get through to the team, or are you just venting? :confused:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
zeromaster;2363131 said:
So, theebs, are you giving up on the season because probably no one can get through to the team, or are you just venting? :confused:

BOTH.

I just dont see this defense ever getting out of the funk and It will just snowball from here.

I just dont recall a team with defensive problems like we have ever turning it around during a season. Offensive problems, yes many times, not defensively.

Throw in our crappy special teams, a backup punter and a banged up romo and it is a recipe for disaster.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well Nate doesn't know the name of half the starters on this team, I wouldn't be lisenting to him for knowledgeable insight on this team.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
http://i61.***BLOCKED***/albums/h77/legendz28/stooge.jpg

Seriously, this sig deserves its own thread... :laugh2: ... Brian Stewart looks like he's an 8 year old boy here

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Theebs I'm curious. If Jerry stepped in and simply tried to take too much credit away from the all knowing genius of Jimmy Johnson...why is it that when Jimmy didn't have Jerry in his way, and had full control of personel decisions, that he failed so miserably?

I've often wondered just who it was that actually got too much credit for the player decisions here in Dallas.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2363190 said:
Theebs I'm curious. If Jerry stepped in and simply tried to take too much credit away from the all knowing genius of Jimmy Johnson...why is it that when Jimmy didn't have Jerry in his way, and had full control of personel decisions, that he failed so miserably?

I've often wondered just who it was that actually got too much credit for the player decisions here in Dallas.

He made Miami a winner and brought a bunch of talent, but he didnt have the exceptional players he had in Dallas and he had to deal with the salary cap.

Lightning only strikes once for most of these guys. Its hard to duplicate what he did here in Dallas.

I dont think bill walsh would have been able to duplicate his incredible track record had he gone to the jets or something.

Don shula did it, he had a big hand in baltimore and he had a big hand in Miami. Other than that I am not sure who could.

Plust jimmy and marino were always at odds and marino was losing his skillset.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SibannacRex;2363014 said:
Yeah, the Chargers' D has been better off without him. :rolleyes:

Gee, yeah, guess it doesn't have anything to do with players being missed like Merriman (out for the season), Cromartie (Nursing an injury), Cooper (suspension) and Jamal Williams knee.

Nevermind that last season they led the NFL with a +24 in turnovers...Or that Merriman is arguably the best at his position, 16.5 sacks aren't easily replaced...Perhaps that they lost 2 games they arguably were cheated out of or that LT is not able to keep their offense on the field as he is MIA might impact the success of the D.

Only thing the current Charger group has revealed is that Cottrell might be worse than Wade

But as we can all witness now, the current Dallas Cowboys D certainly has the signature of that 'attacking' D Wade made so famous in SD...Or was it the benefit of the personnel?

Q_the_man

Reaction score
links18;2363129 said:
Nobody would cut TO or Emmitt, Troy or Irvin for that matter. regardless of salary cap implications. Jimmy has famously said he treated players differently based on their importance to the team.......
What would he do with Bradie James, Hamlin, Roy D.