Nate Newton: Jimmy Johnson would challenge players

khiladi

Reaction score
FCBarca;2363208 said:
Gee, yeah, guess it doesn't have anything to do with players being missed like Merriman (out for the season), Cromartie (Nursing an injury), Cooper (suspension) and Jamal Williams knee.

That personnel was drafted when Wade was their defensive coordinator... BTW, that Chargers team deteriorated defensively last year as well. They took a huge drop-off in terms of production when Wade left.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
TheCount;2363148 said:
Well Nate doesn't know the name of half the starters on this team, I wouldn't be lisenting to him for knowledgeable insight on this team.

I bet Nate met more players on this team than u met in your whole life.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theebs;2363205 said:
He made Miami a winner and brought a bunch of talent, but he didnt have the exceptional players he had in Dallas and he had to deal with the salary cap.

Lightning only strikes once for most of these guys. Its hard to duplicate what he did here in Dallas.

I dont think bill walsh would have been able to duplicate his incredible track record had he gone to the jets or something.

Don shula did it, he had a big hand in baltimore and he had a big hand in Miami. Other than that I am not sure who could.

Plust jimmy and marino were always at odds and marino was losing his skillset.

The most important part of that being that Jimmy actually had to deal with salary cap, and there for roster restrictions, that he never had to deal with in Dallas. Same for Bill Walsh, I agree. Had he been around during salary cap times you have to wonder how well he'd have done since he built the Niners with teams that were loaded with talent cause they didn't have salary cap restrictions.

I'm not saying, and never would, that Jimmy wasn't a great coach, and that he doesn't deserve a lot of credit, but the Miami situation proves that it wasn't all Jimmy and that dealing with restrictions that the salary cap brings was not his strong suit and hurt him a lot. I'd be willing to bet that is a huge part of the reason he's not ever got back into coaching since he left the Miami gig.

Now on the other hand you have guys like Bill Cowher, who dealt with salary cap through the majority of his head coaching in Pittsburgh, and while they weren't always knocking on the door of the Superbowl his Steelers teams always seemed to be competitive and he always seemed to do a very nice job of getting the most out of what was given to him by his owner(s) and GM.

I'm not saying that to say that he's a better coach, by any means, just that I do believe some people are suited for the game the way it is now and some that simply are not. As much as I like Jimmy, and loved having him here, I simply don't think that the league, with a cap and those type of restrictions that really puts on the amount of talent you're able to get on a roster, is one that Jimmy could be successful in.

khiladi

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2363246 said:
The most important part of that being that Jimmy actually had to deal with salary cap, and there for roster restrictions, that he never had to deal with in Dallas. Same for Bill Walsh, I agree. Had he been around during salary cap times you have to wonder how well he'd have done since he built the Niners with teams that were loaded with talent cause they didn't have salary cap restrictions.

I'm not saying, and never would, that Jimmy wasn't a great coach, and that he doesn't deserve a lot of credit, but the Miami situation proves that it wasn't all Jimmy and that dealing with restrictions that the salary cap brings was not his strong suit and hurt him a lot. I'd be willing to bet that is a huge part of the reason he's not ever got back into coaching since he left the Miami gig.

Now on the other hand you have guys like Bill Cowher, who dealt with salary cap through the majority of his head coaching in Pittsburgh, and while they weren't always knocking on the door of the Superbowl his Steelers teams always seemed to be competitive and he always seemed to do a very nice job of getting the most out of what was given to him by his owner(s) and GM.

I'm not saying that to say that he's a better coach, by any means, just that I do believe some people are suited for the game the way it is now and some that simply are not. As much as I like Jimmy, and loved having him here, I simply don't think that the league, with a cap and those type of restrictions that really puts on the amount of talent you're able to get on a roster, is one that Jimmy could be successful in.

Jimmy flat-out wanted to fish in Miami...

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
khiladi;2363223 said:
That personnel was drafted when Wade was their defensive coordinator... BTW, that Chargers team deteriorated defensively last year as well. They took a huge drop-off in terms of production when Wade left.

Excellent point. While they're down this year a bit cause of all the injuries that doesn't account for them not being as good last year after Wade was gone.

As a DC I think Wade is fantastic. As an HC who dabbles with the defense? Not so much.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I don't get it. What salary cap does Jimmy have to deal with in Dallas?

This team is loaded, especially on OFFENSE. It is the D and ST that needs attention, plus overall leadership. And one thing Jimmy understood, probably better than 95% of his peers, is how to find and coach D. He also understood the importance of ST, Jimmy was one of the first to have a kicking coach on staff, and he had starters on ST.

I love Jimmy's mantra, his challenge to his players each and every game: which one of you is going to make a play? Jimmy stressed confidence, or his word 'swagger', but he also stressed playmaking.

Who cares what Jimmy did or didn't do in Miami, only care about Dallas. If people are dinking Johnson for not being a salary cap whiz, then worry no more. In Dallas, salary cap issues would be handled, and handled very well, by Jerry and Stephen. This team is tailor made for Jimmy to step into and SAVE now, forget next season or fantasy stuff like Jimmy would be strapped by the cap if he came back to Dallas. All that is already in place, all this team needs now is leadership, confidence and an iron fist_ON THE FIELD.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2362981 said:
If you have the opportunity, turn on Michael Irvin's show, he is telling some good story of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

He tells one story about Alexander Wright and another story about a running back as example of how Jimmy Johnson motivated players.

This isn't a let's hire Jimmy post, just some good stories from the past.

It was swurvin curvin Richards that fumbled twice after not playing all year and got a couple carrie sin mop up duty and we still won the game in a blowout he cut the dude like on the play ride home or some crazy stuff like that

Boysboy

Reaction score
FCBarca;2363208 said:
Gee, yeah, guess it doesn't have anything to do with players being missed like Merriman (out for the season), Cromartie (Nursing an injury), Cooper (suspension) and Jamal Williams knee.

Nevermind that last season they led the NFL with a +24 in turnovers...Or that Merriman is arguably the best at his position, 16.5 sacks aren't easily replaced...Perhaps that they lost 2 games they arguably were cheated out of or that LT is not able to keep their offense on the field as he is MIA might impact the success of the D.

Only thing the current Charger group has revealed is that Cottrell might be worse than Wade

But as we can all witness now, the current Dallas Cowboys D certainly has the signature of that 'attacking' D Wade made so famous in SD...Or was it the benefit of the personnel?

Having read the Chargers board recently, a good 95% of their fans want Wade back...they've been HUGELY unhappy with Ted Cottrell since LAST year.

And yes, having seen a number of Chargers game under Wade, they were THAT good. Under Cottrell, DBs are playing 5-10 yards off the LOS...wheras Wade had them play alot of press coverage.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2363205 said:
He made Miami a winner and brought a bunch of talent, but he didnt have the exceptional players he had in Dallas and he had to deal with the salary cap.

Lightning only strikes once for most of these guys. Its hard to duplicate what he did here in Dallas.

I dont think bill walsh would have been able to duplicate his incredible track record had he gone to the jets or something.

Don shula did it, he had a big hand in baltimore and he had a big hand in Miami. Other than that I am not sure who could.

Plust jimmy and marino were always at odds and marino was losing his skillset.

1996 - 6-10
1997 - 9-7, lost @Pats in the AFCWCG
1998 - 10-6, beat the Bills in the AFCWCG, lost @Broncs in the AFCDG
1999 - 9-7, beat the Hawks in the AFCWCG, lost @Jax in the AFCDG

Less not forget his '97 squad crashed and burned at the end, including losing to the Pats @Joe Roby in wk17 that costed them a home playoff game. And less not forget too his '99 squad was 8-2, only to lose 5 of their last 6.

Come on...let's not make excuses.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Boysboy;2364611 said:
Having read the Chargers board recently, a good 95% of their fans want Wade back...they've been HUGELY unhappy with Ted Cottrell since LAST year.

And yes, having seen a number of Chargers game under Wade, they were THAT good. Under Cottrell, DBs are playing 5-10 yards off the LOS...wheras Wade had them play alot of press coverage.

This is true, Chargers' fans do want Wade back, at least as recently as 2 weeks ago, not sure about now.

THIS IS NOT TRUE, Wade did not have the Chargers' corners playing A LOT of press coverage. The Chargers' secondary was not very good under Wade and Stewart. Chargers were great at stopping the run and sacking the QB, but the secondary gave up a lot of passing yards.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
SibannacRex;2363014 said:
Yeah, the Chargers' D has been better off without him. :rolleyes:

Well they did get to the AFC title game without him last year. I think the think hurting them on D this year is injuries.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2364719 said:
Well they did get to the AFC title game without him last year. I think the think hurting them on D this year is injuries.

Having Cromartie in their secondary didn't hurt either(someone Wade didn't have)-he had like 1/3 of their TOs last year.

Overall-the Chargers D just hasn't been GREAT under Cottrell...he plays alot of soft zones, wheras Wade was very aggressive. Why Wade isn't aggressive here, I dunno, but Cottrell nonetheless has been a HUGE downgrade there.

BTW-the Chargers went to the AFCCG largely b/c of their O, not so much their D.

magic-sword

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2362984 said:
Better yet:

Coach Landry could just walk into the room......player listened, worked hard, and tried their best for him out of pure RESPECT!

Landry had some leadership on the coaching and player side as well.
Ditka and Stallings, Dick Nolan, Reeves, Stautner. Place them along the likes of Lee Roy Jordan, Bob Lilly and Roger and that is a ton of leadership and accountability.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Boysboy;2364627 said:
1996 - 6-10
1997 - 9-7, lost @Pats in the AFCWCG
1998 - 10-6, beat the Bills in the AFCWCG, lost @Broncs in the AFCDG
1999 - 9-7, beat the Hawks in the AFCWCG, lost @Jax in the AFCDG

Less not forget his '97 squad crashed and burned at the end, including losing to the Pats @Joe Roby in wk17 that costed them a home playoff game. And less not forget too his '99 squad was 8-2, only to lose 5 of their last 6.

Come on...let's not make excuses.

And what was Jerry and the Cowboys doing during this period? Winning ONE playoff game, which has stood until NOW. That 2 playoff wins in 4 seasons, vs. ONE win in TWELVE seasons.

Come on ... let's not make excuses. I would take what Jimmy did with the Dolphins over what Jerry did with the Cowboys ANY DAY.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I think Wade taking a Jimmy approach and challenging his players would do one of two things:

1) If this team respects him, it would open EVERY player's eyes. They know him as an easy-going, fun-loving guy. So if he rips into them they will know something is truly wrong. A tongue lashing here or there can really make people listen when you're not known for such motivational ploys.

2) If this team no longer respects him, they'll simply laugh at him, throwing insults at the fat, grumpy guy in the front of the room.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2364591 said:
It was swurvin curvin Richards that fumbled twice after not playing all year and got a couple carrie sin mop up duty and we still won the game in a blowout he cut the dude like on the play ride home or some crazy stuff like that

Yeah, I know about Richards, but Nate told the story about another running back.

Nate said that Jimmy Johnson wanted this guy to make the team but he was borderline. So before the last play, Jimmy approaches the guy and tells him I am going to hand you the ball on the last play and you better run this ball like it is the last play of the Super Bowl and you better not stop moving your feet. So anyway, the guy gets the handoff and gets stuffed by one guy and Jimmy is yelling at him, "Don't fall down and keep moving your feet", so another tackler comes in and another one and another one and finally the guy just stops and looks at Jimmy, and Jimmy goes, "Your cut".

Randy White

Reaction score
theebs;2363205 said:
He made Miami a winner and brought a bunch of talent

No, he didn't. The Dullphins were 39-25 the last four years under Shula, including a conference championship game loss to the Bills, and 36-28 under Jimmah Jenius 4 years.

The only thing Jimmah Jenius did was rearrange the deck of the Miami Titanic and then quit afterwards.

He turned a team that was built around the QB into a team that was built around, well, nobody. They improved the defense temporarily and got younger, but, HIS long term plans didn't work. His draft record was abysmal ( only 5 players turned out of 4 drafts, [ Darryl Gardner*, Jason Taylor, Zack Thomas, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain ] maybe 1 in the first round ) and because of it, the Dullphins are just begining to rebuild.

While Jimmah Jenius is infinite better than Philips is right now for the Cowboys, and I put alot of emphasis on the words " right now ", let's not make him out to be the legend that alot of people, including himself, think he is.

:starspin

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2364591 said:

The game was against Chicago at Texas Stadium. There was no plane ride home.

The Cowboys won 27-14, and Curvin Richards fumbled twice. After the first fumble, Jimmy told Curvin not to fumble again. He then proceeded to fumble. I think one of his fumbles was returned for a touchdown.

Jimmy, the master motivator, cut Richards because he wanted his team to be on edge going into the playoffs. He knew how to create tension, that for sure.

Boysboy

Reaction score
I have news for you guys-the early 90's Cowboys team WANTED, I mean WANTED to be challenged.

This current team DOES NOT. I repeat...DOES NOT, and NEVER DID even under Parcells.

So what makes you think Jimmy will all of a sudden miraculously turn this team around? Even the late 90's Fins under him DIDN'T respond to him.

MONT17

Reaction score
I never understood why ppl in the military said they would follow Ollie North to Helll. Well after watching every Cowboy coach in its history I feel the same way about Jimmy. Right or wrong he is my guy and if we lose with him I'm happy with losing! But don't worry it will not be long b4 he is back on top!