Nate Newton: "When you fall back 50 times you let the defense punch you 50 times"

RonnieT24

Reaction score
.... you let the defense punch the line in the mouth 50 times"

Listening to Nate on HWTB podcast and he echoed a lot of what I have been saying about our offense specifically with regard to the pass/run ratio and the blocking schemes. He reiterated that our guys are too good a players to keep looking this bad. Basically stating that the blocking schemes are too passive and gives the defensive front all the advantage even in the run game because we stand up and absorb the hit even on running plays for the most part. I get the theory behind it.. You try to make all the plays look the same so as not to tip things to the defense.. but guess what.. the goal of the defensive line is to stalemate the offensive line and find the ball. If you stand up and don't drive them they can go find the ball without exerting a lot of energy.. and when they see it's a pass they can go hunt your QB. When they see it's run, unless they are complete chumps they are already in position to make the tackle... or the backside guy who just threw your tight end out of the way will.

Even the toughest guy on the block will eventually get knocked out if you let the other guy punch him over and over without letting him punch back. This team needs to get back to punching the defense in the mouth.. Period..

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Listening to Nate on HWTB podcast and he echoed a lot of what I have been saying about our offense specifically with regard to the pass/run ratio and the blocking schemes. He reiterated that our guys are too good a players to keep looking this bad. Basically stating that the blocking schemes are too passive and gives the defensive front all the advantage even in the run game because we stand up and absorb the hit even on running plays for the most part. I get the theory behind it.. You try to make all the plays look the same so as not to tip things to the defense.. but guess what.. the goal of the defensive line is to stalemate the offensive line and find the ball. If you stand up and don't drive them they can go find the ball without exerting a lot of energy.. and when they see it's a pass they can go hunt your QB. When they see it's run, unless they are complete chumps they are already in position to make the tackle... or the backside guy who just threw your tight end out of the way will.

Even the toughest guy on the block will eventually get knocked out if you let the other guy punch him over and over without letting him punch back. This team needs to get back to punching the defense in the mouth.. Period..
The guy was arrested for transporting drugs....I have ZERO respect for him..

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score

My personal feeling is from Tyler on down the left side, our guys are too light... They are getting knocked back too much. That's the only reason I can think of that we keep getting the holding penalties on the line... Again, just my thought...

fivetwos

Reaction score
So if we are keeping track.....

MM brought in his buddy Nolan to run the defense. No need to rehash the specifics.

He brought in other buddy to run ST and we run fake punts from our down 20 down by 6, and that same guy brings in his buddy, a kicker that misses 6 extra points.

Another part of the friendly fun is the OL coach.....

Really, what does MM bring to the table besides constantly reminding the world that he once won a Super Bowl?

Brax

Reaction score
So if we are keeping track.....

MM brought in his buddy Nolan to run the defense. No need to rehash the specifics.

He brought in other buddy to run ST and we run fake punts from our down 20 down by 6, and that same guy brings in his buddy, a kicker that misses 6 extra points.

Another part of the friendly fun is the OL coach.....

Really, what does MM bring to the table besides constantly reminding the world that he once won a Super Bowl?
A barn full of friends that need a job.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pass run ratio is a problem but Dallas wanted the guy they are paying money all this money to take advantage of a good matchup which was the weakness of the 49ers secondary.

Dak couldn’t do it.

I don’t know what on earth they were thinking with Zeke but hey…. What can ya do. Play the torn PCL slow guy over your dynamic 5 YPC RB. Cool.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Pass run ratio is a problem but Dallas wanted the guy they are paying money all this money to take advantage of a good matchup which was the weakness of the 49ers secondary.

Dak couldn’t do it.

I don’t know what on earth they were thinking with Zeke but hey…. What can ya do. Play the torn PCL slow guy over your dynamic 5 YPC RB. Cool.

We already know what they were thinking.. "Yards are yards..." They never planned to run the ball anyway so if the plan going in is pass pass pass then the better pass blocking back needs to be in there.. Not saying I agree.. just pointing out the (horribly flawed) thinking.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's been long an area of bemusement for many of us. Running the shotgun almost exclusively and not pounding the ball more takes away any semblance of physicality for the offense. The QB is not the type of player to throw the team to a championship, he needs to be part of the physicality factor.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy was arrested for transporting drugs....I have ZERO respect for him..
I always wondered if he was the "brains" of that outfit. He got nailed again within two weeks with almost the same amount on the same highway in the same van.

If I had been that judge, I would have been laughing too hard to sentence him.

Newton gets my nod for Cowboys player with the IQ to most likely match his jersey number.

Brooksey

Reaction score
This is true. When you pass it 48 times and run it 16 times...it's tough to own the LOS. It's very bad scheming by boy wonder. If you're going to pass it 48 times... I want 30 targets to Cooper and Cee-dee lamb, not 12.

JBS

Reaction score
How did that run game work vs that overrated sf run defense?

Creeper

Reaction score
My personal feeling is from Tyler on down the left side, our guys are too light... They are getting knocked back too much. That's the only reason I can think of that we keep getting the holding penalties on the line... Again, just my thought...

I don't know if they are too light or just not athletic enough to stay in front of the guy they are blocking. You watch Connor Williams and Biadasz (not as much) but DTs get on one of Williams's shoulders and they turn him. He has to hold in that situation or the guy will simply slip buy him with a clear path to the QB. Is that a strength issue? Maybe. If could also be footwork.

In any case, Williams will be gone next year. Hopefully they find someone who is better. Badasz is still young. I would give him another season to see if he improves, but I would definitely give Farniok a chance to win the job in 2022.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yeah that was insane, dont know if that was what jerry wanted, or if mike and kellen thought that was the way to go.
But I bet SF dc loved it !!!!!!!!!!

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I don't know if they are too light or just not athletic enough to stay in front of the guy they are blocking. You watch Connor Williams and Biadasz (not as much) but DTs get on one of Williams's shoulders and they turn him. He has to hold in that situation or the guy will simply slip buy him with a clear path to the QB. Is that a strength issue? Maybe. If could also be footwork.

In any case, Williams will be gone next year. Hopefully they find someone who is better. Badasz is still young. I would give him another season to see if he improves, but I would definitely give Farniok a chance to win the job in 2022.

The bolded is exactly my point about Williams... And you could be right, maybe it's just footwork. But he has also turned into a penalty machine grabbing for dear life. Hopefully he is gone.... Biadasz, he's getting pushed straight back too much. If he gained a few more pounds, I think he'll be alright. I like Biadasz as our center...